• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF US Mid-term Elections 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Incognito said:
Exit polls are quarantined until 5pm EST.
Yeah, but if that PA rumor is true and holds a lot of weight, it's gonna be a long night. Also, I've been talking to someone on another forum who has lots of contacts in PA politics, and from what he's been told, Southeastern PA turnout is ridiculously big. Bigger than anticipated.

Oh, well, this is reassuring (someone I'm talking to):

I actually work with the state. Those who say things are running fine would be the Attorney General and election commission as well. The problem calls have come from half the counties that blog listed.
Of course, this guy could be anyone :p

VALIS

Diablos said:
I've been talking to someone on another forum who has lots of contacts in PA politics, and from what he's been told, Southeastern PA turnout is ridiculously big. Bigger than anticipated.

That's good, isn't it? I'd have to imagine SE PA is largely Dem.

Diablos

Well if you count Philly, yeah. But lots of places in between Pittsburgh and Philly are extremely Republican, and a lot of those counties are a part of SE PA. I'd imagine Philly is the most liberal place in the state.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
The GOP has some other interesting tactics in store besides for robocalls and voter intimidation -

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/showdown06/archives/individual/2006_11/010083.php
As I approached the polling place here at Parkdale High School, a man in an Ehrlich-Cox shirt handed me a two-page fold-out pamphlet. I immediately recognized the front—it was the misleading Curry/Mfume/Johnson "endorsement" from "Ehlrich-Steele Democrats" that I blogged about earlier. Inside, however, was a clear attempt to mislead Democratic voters. Under the headline, "DEMOCRATIC SAMPLE BALLOT" was a comprehensive listing of candidates, each with an X next to his or her name. In the parallel universe contained within this pamphlet, Robert Ehrlich is the Democratic gubernatorial candidate, and Michael Steele is the Dems' pick for the Senate. The intent could not be clearer: to confuse those looking to vote a straight Democratic ticket.

maynerd said:
I can't see youtube but reading the headline of the video I assume that voters were turned away due to lack of ballots? Sorry but that DOES help the GOP since there are more people wanting to vote for the democrats! You are a republican shill. Be gone with you and your corrupt party!
The precinct in question is supposedly heavily Republican. If you're against ballot box screw up, you need to be against this one too.

maynerd

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
The precinct in question is supposedly heavily Republican. If you're against ballot box screw up, you need to be against this one too.

Of course I'm against any type of voting problems! Good golly man! I hate the way the GOP is running our country but I want a fair and honest vote!

Diablos

He said the first thing he'd do if elected is stop shipping horse meat to France, "either that or get rid of France."

At least he's a Texan showing his true colors! :lol

maynerd said:
Of course I'm against any type of voting problems! Good golly man! I hate the way the GOP is running our country but I want a fair and honest vote!
Good, then you're against this one too, right? Even though it occured in a heavily Republican precinct?

Even if you're GOP filth, you deserve to vote. I hope they get that cleared up in NM-01, as there is nothing worse than not being able to vote when you make the effort to do so.

I've got my liquor ready-far too much of it already ingested-and am ready for an evening with the Young Turks and MSNBC. Fun stuff, election night is- it's like the superbowl with much uglier, out of shape people.

Diablos

Incognito, are you sure you didn't mean 6pm?

edit: 2:1 say this election was motivated by national issues. Corruption was the "most important" thing on voters' minds. This is from CNN.

So much for "all politics is local".

WedgeX

Banned
Wow, had an hour wait to vote at my precinct. It was nice to see tons of people voting (about as many at the same time as the 2004 election).

Cheebs

Diablos said:
Incognito, are you sure you didn't mean 6pm?

edit: 2:1 say this election was motivated by national issues. Corruption was the "most important" thing on voters' minds. This is from CNN.

So much for "all politics is local".
Terrorism was at 40% and Iraq was 37% though. That is NOT good.

Matt

Cheebs said:
Terrorism was at 40% and Iraq was 37% though. That is NOT good.
Except that recent polls have placed Dems either ahead or tied with the Republicans on those issues.

Diablos

This is true. CNN seemed to imply that people are starting to trust both parties equally when it comes to terrorism.

Cheebs

Matt said:
Except that recent polls have placed Dems either ahead or tied with the Republicans on those issues.
Even in terrorism isnt as helpful like a HUUUGE majority as it is with Iraq.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Here is CNN:

Wolf: OMG EXIT POLLS
Nerd: OMGGGGG SURPRISE
Wolf: SURPRISE?!?!?!
Nerd: SURPRISE ISSUES!!!
Wolf: OMGGGGGG

Despite absolutely nothing happening.

Diablos

62% DISapprove of the job congress is doing, 36% approve.

Get this, 88% of voters think their vote will be accurately counted, wtf. :mad:

Cheebs

"Of those indicating the war weighed heavily in their vote, 57% said that they disapproved of Bush's handling of the situation, with just 41% indicating they approved of his performance."

When did that get so close?

This isn't good news at all.

Matt

Diablos said:
62% approve of the job congress is doing, 36% do not.

You reversed the numbers for congress approval.

Bulla564

Banned
Kinky's next stop? the White House in '08

kinky4.jpg

Diablos said:
62% approve of the job congress is doing, 36% do not.

Wow, that would be a 45% increase in a span of two weeks. Thankfully, 62% disapprove.

Diablos

Cheebs said:
"Of those indicating the war weighed heavily in their vote, 57% said that they disapproved of Bush's handling of the situation, with just 41% indicating they approved of his performance."

When did that get so close?

This isn't good news at all.

*sigh*

Matt said:
You reversed the numbers for congress approval.
Yeah, thanks. I was typing/editing too fast and not looking, heh.

Voted for Corker (Senate), Bredesen (Govenor), and John Duncan (Representative) in East Tennessee just now :). I normally don't vote democrat, but Bredesen has been an outstanding govenor.

It's just an exit poll. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them, see: 2004. In other exit poll news, 62% of voters said national issues were motivating themselves to vote compared to 33% favoring local issues.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Cyan said:
On the other hand, that means that about one in ten people think their vote won't be counted. That's a larger number than I'd have expected.

Hopefully the 88% are right.

That is still an unnerving statistic.

Cheebs

HocusPocus said:
Voted for Corker (Senate)
ugh. Ford is such a great guy.

Incognito said:
It's just an exit poll. I wouldn't put too emphasis on them, see: 2004.
Well I rather have good exit polling rather than stuff like this from liberal blogs:
"Could be good, could be bad. I'm not thrilled about the numbers on Iraq."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Did I just hear MSNBC right? Somebody actually claimed that the result of Bush's tax cuts is that the rich pay more than they did when Clinton was in office? WTF?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hitokage said:
Did I just hear MSNBC right? Somebody actually claimed that the result of Bush's tax cuts is that the rich pay more than they did when Clinton was in office? WTF?

I have no idea, that doesn't make any sense.

Hitokage said:

More money to spend = more things to buy (or invest in) = more things to tax

maynerd

Banned
Hitokage said:

They are probably referring to the fact that tax revenues are higher than when Clinton was in office. Which is true.

Diablos

I'm shocked about Iraq, really. I wonder if Saddam's death sentence had anything to do with it. Did people not see this coming from the day he was captured? Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom