• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Leafs give McCabe deadline to sign
The Maple Leafs will reportedly give Bryan McCabe until 6 p.m. tomorrow to accept his five-year contract or the offer will be pulled off the table.

McCabe, who came to terms almost a month ago on a deal worth $28.75 million (U.S.), has waffled on signing, leaving the Leafs in limbo ahead of the deadline for unrestricted free agency, which begins at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1151445022539&call_pageid=968332188492

I figure he will sign as really who else will give him this much with a no movement clause.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Bondra may not retire

The agent for winger Peter Bondra said in an e-mail message to the Journal-Constitution on Tuesday that the 38-year-old winger does not plan to retire. "Peter was on pace to record 40-plus goals and over 80 points last year before he got hurt, and he and I expect he will do the same next year over the course of the entire 2006-07 season," Ritch Winter wrote

http://www.ajc.com/wednesday/content/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_442af02d25f3b0a800d1.html

Maybe he goes back to DC and plays with Ovechkin. God knows they need to spend some money to get to the cap minimum.

calder

R_GILL said:
Leafs give McCabe deadline to sign
I figure he will sign as really who else will give him this much with a no movement clause.
Nice to see the Leafs grow at least some balls when dealing with McCabe. The way he held off on the offer while CLEARLY trying to wait for July 1st (in order to get other offers) was sad, it's one of those little ways where the player can act like "it's all just business" but the team has to treat the player differently because you never know when the player is going to get huffy about 'respect' or shit like that. I'm explaining it horribly but I think most of you know what I'm talking about, how the player (through his agent) can negotiate as hard as they want, using every bit of leverage the CBA gives them and the player just shrugs like it's nothing to do with him but if the team does the same the player often acts all butthurt and mopes and cries to the media about how the team is jerking him around and hey if i'm not happy here maybe I'll play like shit this year.

I think McCabe is going back to Long Island anyway, I think his family wants to go back (or at least close) and he likely won't miss the TO media, organization and fans as much as he'll pretend to. He tried to hold off on signing the deal he negotiated with the Leafs hoping he could use it to get the Islanders or someone else to match it and as a fallback offer if the Isles weren't as generous as he wanted, but not even JFJ is that much of a tool to let his offer stand for a month like that. 29 days or so, maybe, but not a full month. ;)

Nah, Calder. If the Leafs actually had "balls" they wuld have pulled the offer weeks ago when it was obvious what McCabe was doing.

I'd love to see Bondra go back to DC and rip it up with Ovechkin.

Manics

Banned
JFJ claims the Leafs will be "very active" in the free agency pool this year. "Real pleased" :lol

Can't wait to see what cast of clowns he goes after this time.

dem

"It's bad, but is it that bad?," LaForge asked. "He's a super asset. We have him locked up for four more years at $6.25 million - and whoever said he has a no-trade contract is wrong; he's very tradable. His rights are tradeable to any franchise in the league that we deem we want to trade him to."

And everyone wants in on the sweepstakes.

"If I told you Kevin's phone is ringing off the wall that would be underestimating it," said LaForge.

calder

dem said:
"It's bad, but is it that bad?," LaForge asked. "He's a super asset. We have him locked up for four more years at $6.25 million - and whoever said he has a no-trade contract is wrong; he's very tradable. His rights are tradeable to any franchise in the league that we deem we want to trade him to."

And everyone wants in on the sweepstakes.

"If I told you Kevin's phone is ringing off the wall that would be underestimating it," said LaForge.
"For free agency, this is the year of the defenceman," Nashville Predators GM David Poile said Tuesday.

"We don't know what's going to happen between now and July 1, but if there's not too many signings this week, there's going to be a lot of quality defencemen available."

Lidstrom, Redden and Blake are expected to stay put with their respective teams, leaving Chara and Jovanovski as the free-agent headliners. But don't forget the likes of Pavel Kubina, Willie Mitchell, Brendan Witt or Jay McKee.
The best defenceman available right now isn't even a free agent. Former Hart Trophy winner Chris Pronger has asked for a trade out of Edmonton and Oilers GM Kevin Lowe is sifting through offers.
But one GM, who requested anonymity, said the immense interest in Pronger will take a hit come Saturday because of all the defencemen available on the free-agent market.

"Lowe has to make the deal before July 1," said the GM.
klowe.jpg

"..... shit."

dem

We'll see you bitter old flames fan... we'll see..

That said I wish i he was traded by the 1st... I'm getting sick of waiting for the trade.

soundwave05 said:
OMG! OMG!

Only negotiating!

Why hasn't he signed already?

OMG

Nonis is a crap GM!

Jovo leaving! The sky is falling!
"And this has been... Canucks fans if they acted like Oiler fans..."

cooke_alistair_mpt_200x242.jpg

Sandman42

The Leafs signed Johnny Pohl to a one way contract. I guess he is playing with the big boys next season. I always liked him, he has skill.

Manics

Banned
Sandman42 said:
The Leafs signed Johnny Pohl to a one way contract. I guess he is playing with the big boys next season. I always liked him, he has skill.

Let the huge Leafs signings begin!!! :lol

Alucard

Banned
Woot woot Pens. I do wish they'd keep Hilbert around though. :-\ Blah. And I really hope Recchi isn't coming back for another year. Also, what's the status of Leclair?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
imo john pohl isn't that good of a player. He's got heart, but his legs are a little weak and he gets way too off-balance. his stick handling isn't the greatest either

the leafs have much better players than him sitting on the marlies

Roenick just said he wants to sign in Canada for cheap on an incentives contract. TSN goes into how he's cleaned up his act and wants to finish up his career similar to how Selanne is doing it.

Canucks could use a center...

Sandman42

DopeyFish said:
imo john pohl isn't that good of a player. He's got heart, but his legs are a little weak and he gets way too off-balance. his stick handling isn't the greatest either

He's a great 4th line centre. He plays a solid defensive game and could put up 30-40 pts in the NHL. His skating has improved a lot.

DopeyFish said:

he is better than alot of players who player for us last year.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dammit, why couldn't Roenick have had this change of heart re: signing with a Canadian team back when I wanted him...like '96-'97? :p

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy's attitude, he's a quote machine and a half...but after last year I don't think he's got a lot left in the tank. Never mind what that TSN article says. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
You know, I believe JR....and with that attitude, I'd sign him.

He wants to sign for cheap, and he knows what a shit year last season was for him. He seems determined, he's even changed his phone number to avoid party situations.

He has the makings of a steal written all over him. Sign him for 700k, put him on a third line and watch him rack 50+ points, easy.

fallout

Yup, I think the worst that could happen is that he's only as good as the other players you're paying cheap. Not really much of a loss, there.

Malakhov

Banned
Roenick wants to stay in Los Angeles
Roenick wants to play in Phoenix
Roenick wants to go back to Chicago
Roenick wants to go play for a canadian team

The guy is whoring himself, he's done for.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Kabuki Waq said:
leafs should not sign Mcabe. He isnt worth the money.

Who will we sign really. Chara? Yeah right. Redden? He is staying in Ottawa. Lidstrom? Staying put in Detroit. Jovo? Going to Florida. What does that leave, the rest of the defenseman are 2nd pairing D. That is why McCabe knows hes got us by the balls. Anyway we will find out tommorrow by 6.

pops619

Alucard said:
Woot woot Pens. I do wish they'd keep Hilbert around though. :-\ Blah. And I really hope Recchi isn't coming back for another year. Also, what's the status of Leclair?

I was kind of taken aback by Hilbert's being non-tendered. He's nothing great, but he worked well with Crosby. I think he's a pretty smart hockey player. He would have offered cheap production next season. The key is whether or not Shero replaces him with someone better.

I seriously doubt Recchi returns. Any links Recchi had with the organization are gone or will be gone. He doesn't the type of player Therrien or Shero want. Maybe he wants to come back, but I doubt the Pens would take him back at this point.

As of now, LeClair's going to be a Penguin last season. At the end of the season, he said he wanted to continue playing next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded, though. He's not the young, quick player that Shero seems to like. He's also a bit of a defensive liability. He can still produce offensively, though. It wouldn't kill me if they kept him for a third or fourth line role, but I'd rather see him shipped off ideally.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I got kind of a soft spot for Leclair as the season wound down. He put up decent numbers for a guy his age and I also wouldn't mind if he was a 3rd or 4th line winger. I like the youth movement that Pens management is pushing right now, but I do think we still need some proven vets that are able to produce. No one in the 35+ area, but a guy like Elias or Palffy might be a good fit. I know you're not crazy about having Palffy back though. :p

Man, I'm pretty excited for next season, but even more looking forward to 2-3 years down the road once guys like Welch, Crosby, Malkin, and Staal will hopefully be at the beginning of their prime years. I'm also really hoping that Fleury will be able to bounce back. He's kind of a worry for me right now and his form in the AHL playoffs left a lot to be desired. I just don't want him to fade and think that him and Caron could make for a superb one-two goaltending punch for years to come. He does need a team in front of him though.

Anyway, I'd be surprised to see Staal play more than a handful of games in the coming season, but maybe he'll be a real hilight and make a name for himself enough to earn a permanent roster spot this year. I'm more excited to see what Malkin does right now anyway.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
So are all of Malkin, Crosby and Stall going to play center. Reminds me of the Nordiques when they had Sakic, Sundin and Forsberg.

Alucard

Banned
Crosby and Malkin will be the 1 and 2 centres. Staal is pretty durable and will likely play the wing on the top line...eventually.

Vancouver Canucks State of the Franchise Address:

* Cloutier will not be shopped around until and unless Luongo signs long-term. If Luongo signs a one-year deal, they will go with a Luongo-Cloutier tandem next season. Otherwise, Noronen will back up. He says he has received calls regarding Cloutier.

* There's a less than 20% chance Jovanovski will be back. If the Canucks sign Luongo long-term, there's no way he will be back.

* Negotiations with Anson Carter aren't going well.

* Bourdon and Bieksa will be in the top 6 next season. Incidentally, this means that our 4-5-6 defensemen next season will have, between them, around 100 games of NHL experience. Please save us Luongo.

* The biggest need is RW. He is looking to add two guys, through trade or free agency. One to replace Bertuzzi, and one to potentially replace Anson Carter. Right now, he says that the top three left wing/center pairings are set (Naslund-Morrison, Sedin-Sedin, Cooke-Kesler). RWs have to be decided for all three of those lines.

* He expects the team will make one more big trade. ( )

* The team has a shortlist of about 6 UFA d-men, and are looking to make at least one, hopefully two, impact signings in that regard.

* Assistant coaches will be in place by next week. One of them will be Rick Bowness (Vigneault used to be his assistant in Ottawa...awkwaaaaaaard...)

* The most interesting thing he said, IMO, was that while Crawford is one of the best coaches in the league, he definitely played favorites to whom the rules would apply differently. Vigneault has a more businesslike approach, and Nonis thought it was time for a philosophy change.

* Linden will be back, in a leadership/PK role at a reduced price. Vancouver is grooming him for a role in management once he retires( ). I would be surprised, though, as typically NHLPA Executives stick around with the PA after retirement.

* Chubarov isn't coming back. The Canucks would have to pay him $2.5 million to make it worth his while. This is why they traded for Santala, who's good on faceoffs and the PK, and has size and speed.

* While talking about the PK, said it was a huge problem last season, expects Vigneault to use a more aggressive system next year.

* Pronger isn't coming. Vancouver doesn't have the cap space, or the trade assets to land him. File this under "DUH!".

* Next season, the team will score fewer goals and instead focus on defensive support for Luongo. He wants the Canucks to be able to break the trap as well as play the trap - he noted that the teams that had success in the post-season this year were able to do so playing a variety of styles.

* Luongo has always had trust problems with NHL management. They began on Long Island when the team sent him to the minors after 29 games because he had a bonus clause that paid him $750K if he got to 30. After going to Florida, contract negotiations were always acrimonious. Vancouver, at this point, is just trying to send as much love as possible his way. He said once Luongo gets here and realizes that Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world, a long-term deal won't be a problem.

* Brent Sopel has been told by management in Los Angeles that him and his $2.6 million contract is not in the team's plans. However, don't look for him to return to Vancouver. (Terrific use of Tambellini and Grebeshkov there, DT. That's asset management for you!).

* He thinks Naslund is a great captain, but when the new coaching staff meets next week, if that's something that needs to be discussed, it will be ( ...I don't what this implies...)

* Naslund and Morrison are all recovering well from their injuries, and will be ready for training camp with plenty of time to spare. Nathan Smith and Jason King are much, much further away from being 100%

Malakhov said:
Roenick wants to stay in Los Angeles
Roenick wants to play in Phoenix
Roenick wants to go back to Chicago
Roenick wants to go play for a canadian team

The guy is whoring himself, he's done for.

I think he's a great choice for media soaking though

Malakhov

Banned
Looks like Blake is a goner from Colorado, the Avs are hit with bonuses (Sakic's and Blake's) that will count in their salary cap this season, they are at about 32 millions tied in 13 players.

If all of the players accept their qualifying offers (Sauer, Svatos, Liles, McLean, McCormick, Budaj) they'll be around 35 millions and that's with Blake, Skrastins, Clark, Hinote and Dowd as UFAs.

Buh bye Blake, Hello Theo

THEOOO THEOOO THEO THEOOOOOOOOO

:lol

Colorado's CBA casualties as of 6/28

Foote
Forsberg
Tanguay
Blake

Ouch :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Well leafers, good luck with Lidstro-...oh, sorry, read the $ amount and assumed you got a number 1 d-man...good luck with Mcabe though.

Malakhov said:
Looks like Blake is a goner from Colorado, the Avs are hit with bonuses (Sakic's and Blake's) that will count in their salary cap this season, they are at about 32 millions tied in 13 players.

ha, what a joke the Avalanche have become. It still boggles my mind to know they are unloading players and making adjustmens just to fit Theodore into their picture.

Malakhov

Banned
Wolf said:
ha, what a joke the Avalanche have become. It still boggles my mind to know they are unloading players and making adjustmens just to fit Theodore into their picture.
They could of saved some time and trade us Tanguay for Theodore :lol

Malakhov

Banned
No worries, Redden, Chara and Blake will all take paycuts to go play for Toronto anyways and I heard Pronger has told Lowe he only wants to be traded to Toronto :lol

Fifty

Not only did that happen, but it's announced on the night of the NBA draft...Thus overshadowing it in the insanely one dimensional toronto media. Hopefully I'm wrong..both about it being stupid and about the media not caring about the Raptors.

Sandman42

Honestley, I think this is the best scenario for the Leafs. Pronger was going to cost them too much and McCabe is a solid defenseman who can put up a lot of points and play tough defense. While 5.75 is overpayment, the Leafs still have a ton of cap room to play with.

Kaberle-McCabe
Mckee-White
Harrison-Coliacovo

is that really a bad defense?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just realized something...

Wild will have a starting front line consisting of Rolston, Gaborik, and Demitra.

:O

Sandman42

GaimeGuy said:
I just realized something...

Wild will have a starting front line consisting of Rolston, Gaborik, and Demitra.

:O
What about Flordia's front line of Gary Roberts, Olli Jokinen, and Todd Bertuzzi. Can you say domination?

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Sandman42 said:
Honestley, I think this is the best scenario for the Leafs. Pronger was going to cost them too much and McCabe is a solid defenseman who can put up a lot of points and play tough defense. While 5.75 is overpayment, the Leafs still have a ton of cap room to play with.

Kaberle-McCabe
Mckee-White
Harrison-Coliacovo

Its not too bad. Switch up White and Cola. We still got some money to spend.

Reilly

Sandman42 said:

Kaberle-McCabe
Mckee-White
Harrison-Coliacovo

Jay McKee signed with TO? When did that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom