• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
Rumors of St-Louis coming over to Montreal for Aebischer and some picks, I hope to god it isn't true. I don't want another overpaid player, we just got rid of Theodore, and especially not another smurf.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Malakhov said:
Rumors of St-Louis coming over to Montreal for Aebischer and some picks, I hope to god it isn't true. I don't want another overpaid player, we just got rid of Theodore, and especially not another smurf.

Atleast St-Louis is a proven player and Gainey isn't a ****ing dumb shit like Muckler.

:lol

Havat for Toskala is the latest rumour.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
sefskillz said:
haha.. you tried to use women and logic in the same sentence.
Heh.

Hey kids, guess what the Edmonton "brain" trust's latest fubar is? :lol Seems Kevin Lowe didn't bother to make an offer to extend Boozy MacMurder's coaching contract - the deadline was before the playoffs. Somehow the Greasers luck their way into the SC Finals - and ol' Captain Chugalug suddenly finds himself an unfettered, successful coaching commodity!

Losing Pronger?
sadmac8qp.jpg

Losing Peca too?
sadmac8qp.jpg

Losing Coach Vodka Veins on top of that?
happymac1ty.jpg

*insert Price-Is-Right loser music here*

Lowe's one of the best GM's in the league ... and you don't "luck" yourself into beating Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim, and then take Carolina to 7 games with a backup goalie.

fallout

bishoptl said:
:lol Seems Kevin Lowe didn't bother to make an offer to extend Boozy MacMurder's coaching contract - the deadline was before the playoffs.
... that's a little low, don't you think?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't know - why don't you ask the family of the woman he killed while drunk behind the wheel?

soundwave05 said:
Lowe's one of the best GM's in the league
Yes, it certainly looks like it.

bishoptl said:
Yes, it certainly looks like it.

Zuh?

How is Kevin Lowe taking shots here?

He's going to get a good return on Pronger (bad situation, but hardly his fault), but the young core the Oilers have is very, very good.

He's one of the best GMs in the league ... this summer is nothing compared to the pre-salary cap nonsense.

If we could field a decent team back then, the Oilers will be more than decent next year.

Besides what the hell have the Canucks done the past 12 years (or scratch that ... what have they *ever* done [caught your edit, son! not quite fast enough :lol -bishoptl] ) to have bragging rights on anyone?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
We also made a Game 7 in the SC Finals - and came up short. Exactly 12 years ago, in fact. Of course, we had the common decency to make it a closer, more exciting game. But that's to be expected.

Now let's get back to the core issue, shall we? Why does the city of Edmonton suck so badly that God-fearing players and their families refuse to stay there?

bishoptl said:
We also made a Game 7 in the SC Finals - and came up short. Exactly 12 years ago, in fact. Of course, we had the common decency to make it a closer, more exciting game. But that's to be expected.

Now let's get back to the core issue, shall we? Why does the city of Edmonton suck so badly that God-fearing players and their families refuse to stay there?

Win a Cup first. Then you can talk.

You guys made 1 Cup final in 30 some-odd years in the NHL.

Whoopity doo.

Even the Flames have done better than that.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh no, I think I'll continue to talk. Hell, I'll let the (former) boss of your latest expatriate do the talking for me. :)
"We've been aware of it for a period of time," Lowe told reporters before the start of Saturday's draft. "Just let me say, yes, we have heard from his agent, that [Pronger] prefer to be traded.

"We're not going to be quick to act on this unless we have a real strong opportunity for the organization. It's better we assess all of this and see what's best."
5732808_18_1.jpg

"Seriously, can you finish your press conference *after* dropping me off at the airport, Kev?"

Yeah because we're really going to get table scraps for Chris Pronger ... :lol Yeah, keep hoping for that.

As for player's staying ... the group of guys you have in Vancouver ... feel free to keep them.

You'll find more toughness and heart on a WNBA team.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Oilers awarded WHL team :)

As for MacT, they're negotiating a new deal for him right now.
What's the big deal? They didn't pick up his option at the end of the regular season. That's fair. If we got swept by Detroit, there would be a VERY legit reason to find a new coach... but we didn't. MacT out-coached Detroit, SanJose, Anaheim, and did a fine job in the finals... so he deserves a right to come back now... which I'm sure he will once they get a deal in place.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OK soundwave :lol

What leverage do you have? Pronger pulled the legs out from Lowe when he made it public that he wanted the hell out of Edmonton - every GM in the league knows that the Oilers are dealing from a position of weakness. Just like before the cap era.

Nedved.
Joseph.
Weight.
shoulderwhatshoulder3oe.jpg

"Best decision I ever made!"

Soon-to-be Pronger and probably Peca...and quite possibly your COACH! :p The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Maybe you can pick up Mike Sullivan on the cheap. He just got canned from the Bruins, so you'll have that desperation factor going for you.

Hope and pray that the Craigster doesn't hold a gun to the Lowe's head for more money now that he's a FA. Neglect to re-sign your coach and then go to the SC Finals with him...classic comedy.

BEST GM EVER

bishoptl said:
OK soundwave :lol

What leverage do you have? Pronger pulled the legs out from Lowe when he made it public that he wanted the hell out of Edmonton - every GM in the league knows that the Oilers are dealing from a position of weakness. Just like before the cap era.

Nedved.
Joseph.
Weight.
shoulderwhatshoulder3oe.jpg

"Best decision I ever made!"

Soon-to-be Pronger and probably Peca...and quite possibly your COACH! :p The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Maybe you can pick up Mike Sullivan on the cheap. He just got canned from the Bruins, so you'll have that desperation factor going for you.

Hope and pray that the Craigster doesn't hold a gun to the Lowe's head for more money now that he's a FA. Neglect to re-sign your coach and then go to the SC Finals with him...classic comedy.

BEST GM EVER

Errr ... MacTavish is negotiating a long term deal with the Oilers right now.

This isn't the pre-CBA era ... keep telling yourself ... not like the Canucks did anything during that stretch anyway.

Doug Weight has always said he loved his time in Edmonton ... but the financial situation of the NHL in the mid/late 1990s made it impossible for him to stay.

And I find it really rich that a Canucks support is banging this drum. What happened to the Vancouver Grizzlies? What about all of those American athletes that turned this nose up at Vancouver? Lauren Pronger would not have been happy in any Canadian city, with the possible exception of Toronto because of its proximity to the US East Coast.

There's no point in trying to excuse or justify that type of thinking. You really think someone who's from a big city in the US really gives two sh-ts about Canada, period?

The Oilers had a good team last year ... they'll have a good team this coming year as well.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey, I think it's absolutely precious and wonderful that your coach is deigning to stay in your fair city. We'll just choose to overlook that it'll cost a fair amount more to do the deal now, instead of providing an extension before the playoffs. That's OK!

Drinks for everyone! On me!

happymac1ty.jpg

"I'm in!"

bishoptl said:
Hey, I think it's absolutely precious and wonderful that your coach is deigning to stay in your fair city. We'll just choose to overlook that it'll cost a fair amount more to do the deal now, instead of providing an extension before the playoffs. That's OK!

Drinks for everyone! On me!

happymac1ty.jpg

"I'm in!"

Yeah well $30 million of playoff revune doesn't hurt.

Goddamn I didn't realize how damn bitter one Oilers playoff run could make a lot of you guys.

This reminds me a lot of 1988 when other fans started jumping around because the Oilers were supposed to be finished with Gretzky gone, and you had 9 years of frustration from all those other bitter-as-shit Canadian fans start to come out :lol

If you want to be mad at someone be mad at your damn team for not doing jack all even when the Oilers were crippled by the previous salary structure and there was no Gretzy/Messier ... or hell even Tikkanen/Graves to worry about. If you wanna be mad at someone how about your own team for not even making the playoffs?

The new CBA will allow all teams to field competetive rosters ... yes even Edmonton. Deal with it.

fallout

bishoptl said:
I don't know - why don't you ask the family of the woman he killed while drunk behind the wheel?
I dunno, I just felt it was a low comment. Whatever, I'm probably just being idealistic. I'll leave it be.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Who's bitter? I'm happy for you! Especially since you seem to have gotten over your period from a few days ago. The whole "STRINGUPTHATPRONGERPUSSYWHIPPEDARGGHMYVAGINA" thing was just so...unnecessary. Good for you!

*clasps hands together*

Maybe you could slip Pronger that extra 30 million to stomach yet another year in Edmonton.

bishoptl said:
Who's bitter? I'm happy for you! Especially since you seem to have gotten over your period from a few days ago. The whole "STRINGUPTHATPRONGERPUSSYWHIPPEDARGGHMYVAGINA" thing was just so...unnecessary. Good for you!

*clasps hands together*

Yeah well I realized ...

5 Stanley Cups and 7 Stanley Cup appearances isn't so bad. I mean there's some organizations who'll probably never even have half that :)

Also the revune generated by this year's Cup run will enable us to increase our payroll, and we are going to get a very good return on Pronger (like it or not).

By far the worse scenario would've been if he asked to be traded at the trading deadline, because he wasn't playing nearly as well. With the Cup run, his value has increased at least several times what it what have been in Feburary. He is the best player that's availible on the market right now ... hands down.

bishoptl said:
Only because Luongo's off the market. BOOYA :)

Yeah, and how many playoff games has he won?

Lets see you guys win the Cup then. After all ... there shouldn't be any excuses this time, right?

soundwave05 said:

Lets see you guys win the Cup then. After all ... there shouldn't be any excuses this time, right?

and yet he is still considered a better goaltender than the one you have. (younger too).

HOnestly cmon any team would be lucky to have him.

Kabuki Waq said:
and yet he is still considered a better goaltender than the one you have. (younger too)

Playoffs when you have Jonathan Cheechoo on a 2-on-1 in game 3 overtime with your team down 0-2 in the series and you rob him ... lets just say I'll take the results over "potential".

It also would help to a defense that actually plays with some heart.

If Jovonovski is gone, I see Luongo being hung out to dry.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
soundwave05 said:
Eh, Roberto (I can call him that because we're on a first-name basis now) was playing in FLORIDA and facing 40 shots a night. There's a good reason why hockey people much smarter than you or I had him firmly nailed as the premier one free agent this offseason. You of all people should be well aware of the importance of having somebody decent between the pipes.

nhl04.jpg

But Roberto's here now, and negotiating a new long-term contract. Pronger can share the spotlight with Jovo, Samsonov, and the rest of the FA pool, with our blessings. :D

Wait...you're saying that with Jovo gone, Roberto's gonna be hung out to dry? :lol :lol

C'mon man, you should at least try to do a slight modicum of research beforehand. Jovo was always an offensive defenceman, allowed to jump up in the play to kickstart the offense. Think Sergei Gonchar without the suck. (Sorry, Alucard)

bishoptl said:
Eh, Roberto (I can call him that because we're on a first-name basis now) was playing in FLORIDA and facing 40 shots a night. There's a good reason why hockey people much smarter than you or I had him firmly nailed as the premier one free agent this offseason. You of all people should be well aware of the importance of having somebody decent between the pipes.

nhl04.jpg

But Roberto's here now, and negotiating a new long-term contract. Pronger can share the spotlight with Jovo, Samsonov, and the rest of the FA pool, with our blessings. :D

OMG! OMG!

Only negotiating!

Why hasn't he signed already?

OMG

Nonis is a crap GM!

Jovo leaving! The sky is falling!

bishoptl said:
Maybe he should wait two and a half months to begin negotiations. :lol

Yeah because some teams were actually in the playoffs.

Oh you Canuckers. Just too easy :lol

They got no Cups but they just try so goshdarn hard.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
As far as the playoffs go, welcome back. You should be kissing our feet that we let you have a kick at the can after slumming around on golf courses for the past 3 years. Figures you'd waste it - no matter, we'll take that spot back now. :D

bishoptl said:
As far as the playoffs go, welcome back. You should be kissing our feet that we let you have a kick at the can after slumming around on golf courses for the past 3 years. Figures you'd waste it - no matter, we'll take that spot back now. :D

If 2006 was a "waste" ... what exactly is the entire Canucks his ... oh forget it. :lol

Do everyone a favor and actually beat Calgary in the 1st round next time please.

Shouldn't you be more worried about Ottawa winning the Cup before you guys do?

Hell at this rate, Winnipeg could get a team again and win the Cup first.

:D

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2502306
Zdeno Chara: The biggest, in almost every sense of the word, free-agent defenseman on the market. The Senators will try and keep both Chara and Wade Redden, but if they have to choose one, Chara will be looking for a new, expensive home.

Ed Jovanovski: Rumors are rampant the Florida Panthers will try and re-acquire the big, mobile defenseman. And the newly acquired Todd Bertuzzi, who played with Jovo in Vancouver, will likely give him the hard sell. The Canucks won't let him go without a fight, but chances are he's played his last game in GM Place on the home side.

Wade Redden: A prototypical defenseman for the "new" NHL, Redden will be a top priority for Ottawa GM John Muckler. Redden has insinuated he will walk if he thinks the Sens aren't Cup-worthy, though.

Bryan McCabe: Someone will overpay for the physical blue-liner with the big shot who disappeared in the second half of the season. If not the Maple Leafs, who've tendered a big offer, then someone else like the New York Islanders.

Marc Savard: In terms of production, Savard is the biggest point-producer on the open market this summer with a career-best 97 points, good for ninth in NHL scoring. But he is a defensive liability and takes a boatload of bad penalties. He is also rumored to be looking for Olli Jokinen money, about $5 million annually. Too much for most sensible GMs.

Patrik Elias: A true blue-chip, free-agent forward, the long-time New Jersey Devil will be as heavily courted as any forward in the marketplace. The Devils are desperate to retain his services, but there will be a push from the Czech-heavy Rangers, as well. There's also the persistent rumor he would like to play with close friend Martin Havlat, now in Ottawa.

Doug Weight: The classy veteran who earned his first Stanley Cup ring in Carolina will likely be headed back to St. Louis.

Dwayne Roloson: Arguably the highest-profile free-agent netminder in a market where as many as eight teams may be looking for a starting goalie. Roloson will want both term and dollars. The kicker is he's going to be 37 next season.

Jay McKee: McKee's profile and his stock jumped dramatically during the Sabres' run to the seventh game of the Eastern Conference finals. As a result, he'll likely be too expensive for the Sabres, but look for the Rangers and possibly the Leafs to be interested.

Jaroslav Spacek: Unheralded until his strong postseason in Edmonton, where he was among the league leaders in ice time and chipped in 14 playoff points (second among all defensemen), Spacek's playoff experience will move him up the depth chart for many GMs.

Sergei Samsonov: In the past, the prospect of landing the skilled Samsonov has always made opposing GMs drool. And with the emphasis on skill in the "new" NHL, the diminutive Russian will garner a lot of attention. Still, a tepid performance in the finals against Carolina might see his stock drop at least a little.

Michael Peca: Peca endured a miserable regular season in Edmonton, but redeemed himself with a sensational playoff run. Peca is likely to be too expensive for the Oilers and will almost certainly be headed elsewhere. Maybe back to Long Island, where new GM Neil Smith and coach Ted Nolan will be looking for some leadership.

Mark Recchi: Carolina is unlikely to exercise its club option, making Recchi a free agent. He will likely return to Pittsburgh to play out the string on a long and admirable career.

Matt Cullen: Cullen, who turned in a wonderful performance in Game 7 of the finals and was terrific all season, will be an attractive second-line center because of his speed, skill and character. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford will try and keep him in the Canes fold and it will be a surprise if he moves given what seems to be a natural fit for both player and team.

Brendan Witt: The hard-hitting Witt will be attractive to a lot of teams looking to add character along the blue line, but Nashville GM David Poile will be under pressure to sign him after giving up a first-round pick to get him from Washington at the trade deadline.

Brendan Shanahan: There are conflicting reports out of Detroit, where the Red Wings have to make changes after a third straight disappointing playoff performance. Can Detroit afford Shanahan and Nicklas Lidstrom and get a top-notch starting goaltender? Can they afford to have greybeards Chris Chelios, Steve Yzerman and Shanahan in the lineup? If the answer is no, look for Shanahan to land with a Cup contender that is looking for a veteran presence.

Alyn McCauley: One of the great character guys in the game and a solid two-way player. After a terrific campaign in 2003-04, McCauley's productivity dropped and he played hurt during the playoffs.

Nicklas Lidstrom: If Lidstrom will agree to take something less than the salary maximum, he'll remain a Red Wing. Hard to imagine GM Ken Holland won't make it happen.

Rob Blake: One of the most productive, valuable defensemen of his generation, Blake will almost certainly remain in Colorado even if it means taking less than he could garner on the open market, just as captain Joe Sakic did this week in signing on for next season.

Jason Arnott: Interesting mid-range forward whose 76 points were second only to Dallas captain Mike Modano. The Stars would like Arnott back, but watch for former Dallas GM Bob Gainey to try and lure Arnott to Montreal. Arnott also won a Cup playing alongside fellow unrestricted free agents Elias and Petr Sykora. Hmm.

Chris Mason: An interesting dark horse amongst the goaltending set. Mason performed well in relief of Tomas Vokoun late in the season and through the Predators' first-round loss to San Jose. He'll be less expensive than others and might be just as good.

Fernando Pisani: The Oilers' playoff scoring hero won't be going anywhere far from Edmonton's little Little Italy, even though his five game-winning goals and 14 markers were tops in the playoffs and will drive his value through the roof.

Jeremy Roenick: Roenick insists he isn't done in spite of what last year's performance might indicate. Could a return to Chicago be in the offing? In many ways, the man and the franchise deserve each other. If Roenick bows to Father Time, watch for him to turn up on OLN's broadcasts.

Jamie Langenbrunner: The Devils are in big trouble if they can't return both Elias and Langenbrunner, who had 53 regular-season points and was among the team's best players in the postseason.

Jason Allison: The big center with the soft hands had 60 points in 66 games for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was, however, minus-18 and rumors persist that he's a difficult guy in the dressing room. Still, there's always room for a point-a-game pivot in the NHL and Allison will have much to prove.
Chara, Elias are going to provoke the biggest bidding war. Jovo has all but decided to join Bert in Florida, and I don't see Lidstrom, Allison, Langenbrunner, Blake or Macauley going anywhere.

If Nashville loses both Mason and Witt, I take back all the good things I've ever said about Poile's abilities as a manager. :p

bishoptl said:
see above

Oh relax, I'm just having some fun.

Or is that only limited to Boozy Macmurder jokes? :lol

BTW Redden is apparently considering Edmonton as his next choice if a deal with Ottawa can't be worked out. Go figure. :)

Jason Allison: The big center with the soft hands and feet stuck in cement had 60 points in 66 games for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was, however, minus-18 and rumors persist that he's a difficult guy in the dressing room. Still, there's always room for a point-a-game pivot in the NHL and Allison will have much to prove.

Fixed

look at all those Oilers on that list :(

we need to keep Pisani for sure, Spacek for sure, dont think we need Samsonov, i like Hemsky much more... Peca and Pronger can go, if they dont want to stay (dont want to force anyone to play for us), Roli HAS to stay, awesome goaltender.

How long is Ray Whitney signed for with the Canes? id love to pick that guy up.

sucks to lose Pronger and Peca though :( ...but oh well.

Pisani
Hemsky
Horcoff

Are the guys the Oilers obviously have to sign. All are young and will be part of the core. Robbie Schremp is likely going to be on the roster also.

If you could add someone like Lecavalier to that core ... that would be siiiiiick. More like the 80s-style Oilers.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
bishoptl said:
If Nashville loses both Mason and Witt, I take back all the good things I've ever said about Poile's abilities as a manager. :p
Mason told Poile he wants to test the free agent market and try to get a #1 position. I don't know wtf is going on with Witt though. I'm kinda disappointed we're not bringing Sillinger back, though I guess his salary is kinda high.

LOL @ bish.

I know you like to stir stuff with Oiler fans, but the 'Nucks really haven't proven anything in like...well, they haven't really proven anything ever.

I hope you guys make the playoffs n' stuff, that would be a good start.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...3415.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines&track=rss

A Rangers-Islanders game at frosty Yankee Stadium on New Year's Day?

There's a chance it could happen.

Preliminary discussions between NHL and Yankee executives, the two NHL teams, city officials and NBC---which would televise the proposed Jan. 1 regular-season contest between the arch-rivals---took place last week, according to three people with knowledge of the talks. "Everybody likes the idea," said one person. "But there are some obstacles. The question is whether the stadium will be usable at that time of year for that purpose."

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Bah I don't like the new Buffalo logos, they should have just went back to the old ones.

lafontaine03.jpg

Just modernize that uniform.

aceface

I'm with you R_Gill, actually I don't mind their current uniforms, but if they were going to go back to Blue/Gold, might as well just gone back to the original ones.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
You know what's odd?

It's the month of June, it's only been a few weeks since the season wrapped up, it's month's before we even see exhibition play...

...and between free agent talk, personal player issues, grading new logo's and bishop provoking Oiler fans/ me taunting leaf fans...

It feels like were in the thick of a season right now.

btw that Buffalo logo is so bad I expect a city wide riot by the end of the week.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Sullivan was fired earlier today and Boston is expected to announce Dave Lewis as their new Head Coach. Marc Habscheid in consideration for an assistant coaching job.

Sources tell Sportsnet that the Boston Bruins are expected to announce Dave Lewis as the team's next head coach. Last year's coach Mike Sullivan was fired by the team on Tuesday.

It is also believed that Team Canada's Marc Habscheid is close to joining the team as an assistant.

Throughout the NHL Entry Draft weekend it was widely speculated that ex-Leafs coach Pat Quinn was the likely hire.

However, Lewis is said to have interviewed strongly and will replace Mike Sullivan who has been forced to endure this process while still employed by Boston.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060627_183205_5188

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom