• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf, since your team had a hand in dicking over the Avs (thanks!), I'm curious as to what you and Drensch (and all others) have to say about this question:

WHAT the **** are the Avs DOING??

They trade away Aebeschire and Tanguay (the latter to a DIVISION rival) for a broken goaltender, Jordan Leopold, and a pick!

What is Lacroix doing?? Am I missing some sort of NHL-Uwe Boll German Investors "you'll succeed if your movie bombs" type clause here??

fallout

Mike Works said:
They trade away Aebeschire and Tanguay (the latter to a DIVISION rival) for a broken goaltender, Jordan Leopold, and a pick!
And don't forget that most speculate that Tanguay was traded for cap issues, which they wouldn't have had without Theodore. It is quite odd.

Back from my ban...I missed all the fun. Fantastic trade for Vancouver. I am soooo jealous. It'll be interesting to see if Luongo signs long term now.

I'm hoping Detroit deals for Biron, but I've been hearing that the Wings may actually be interested in good 'ol Eddie 'One Billion Dollars!' Belfour. Oh sweet Jesus please no. Even Ken Holland can't be that inept...can he? WE'RE ABOUT TO FIND OUT!

Drensch

The fact that Tanguay was gonna want more than 5 a year, is what hurt him, but if we're gonna deal him, why resign Sakic and Blake unless we're getting free agents? The avs still have plenty of cap room. The Theodore deal probably on cost the avs 2-3 mill, since Abby would have been getting 3-4 in a new deal.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Mike, I have no idea what's going on in Colorado. I thought they were tight as it was once the salary cap came into play, then they went and took on Theodore's fat contract...

Only thing I can think of is that Lacroix had a plan to manage his salary cap, but when he realized he could obtain Theodore, he threw all his plans out the window and went for it, with the hope that it was a chance of a lifetime.(In his case 2nd chance)

Now ofcourse he's stuck dealing with the repercussions.

Unless things change drastically and Svatos has an even better season, I wonder if Colorado can even make the playoffs next year.

Reilly

rusty said:
I'm hoping Detroit deals for Biron, but I've been hearing that the Wings may actually be interested in good 'ol Eddie 'One Billion Dollars!' Belfour. Oh sweet Jesus please no. Even Ken Holland can't be that inept...can he? WE'RE ABOUT TO FIND OUT!

Biron? no

What the Wings need is a goalie for ONE year until Howard is ready take the reigns. Biron hasn't played a playoff game and will want a long contract. I'd rather just keep Legace for cheaper and who, IMO, is better.

Here are one the goalies they should get.

1. J.S. Giguere - Conn Smythe goalie, played with Mike Babcock. Proven to "get it done" in the playoffs. Only has one year left on his contract.

2. Ed Belfour - All-Star goalie. "Got it done" before. Will want to prove people wrong. Ok, injury prone and old. Sign him for cheap for one year, roll the dice, save some money and sign some better forwards. Still have Osgood as a backup.

Legace better than Biron? I have to disagree 1000%. Biron can still improve his game. Legace's is mediocre.

Even if Legace's stats weren't inflated and he was better (chuckle), the guy's a headcase. He has zero confidence...****er looks like he's about to cry and piss his pants after every goal.

Let some other team deal with that. I want a goaltender with some confidence. Biron has exactly that.

Now whether Howard is ready to take the reigns in 07-08...we'll have to see. It sure would be nice to have some stability in goal for a change.

Ed Belfour? haha...no thanks. Even if they were looking for a 1 year stopgap until Howard is ready, there are much better options.

Reilly

rusty said:
Even if Legace's stats weren't inflated and he was better (chuckle), the guy's a headcase. He has zero confidence...****er looks like he's about to cry and piss his pants after every goal.

Legace isn't the one demanding a trade because he couldn't beat a rookie for the #1 job (a job he's been trying to get for a LONG time).

Barrage

I know i'm insanely late talking about the Draft, but i'd just like to say that God is cruel for letting Chris Stewart get drafted by the Avs. Other then the Canucks or Oilers, this was pretty much the worst place he could have gone. At least it appears the Avs are self-destructing, so the Stars shouldn't have to face them in the '07 Playoffs.

Reilly said:
Legace isn't the one demanding a trade because he couldn't beat a rookie for the #1 job (a job he's been trying to get for a LONG time).
Say what you want...Biron's got confidence...Legace does not. Bottom Line.

It also helps that Biron's not 5 foot nothing. Ask sefskillz how Legace handles high shots...:lol :lol :lol

Reilly

rusty said:
Say what you want...Biron's got confidence...Legace does not. Bottom Line.

When has Biron shown any confidence? Legace kept his mouth shut and worked his butt off to get the #1 position. All Biron has done was suck and ask for a trade. Even if the Wings get Biron, I'm not so sure he can beat Osgood out for the spot.

aceface

All Biron has done was suck and ask for a trade.

I wouldn't call a 21-8 record with a 2.88 GAA and a .905 sv% this year sucking. Also, Biron didn't really ask for a trade, people asked him if he wanted to start and he answered honestly. Biron was good this year, it's just that Miller was better.

Reilly

aceface said:
I wouldn't call a 21-8 record with a 2.88 GAA and a .905 sv% this year sucking. Also, Biron didn't really ask for a trade, people asked him if he wanted to start and he answered honestly. Biron was good this year, it's just that Miller was better.

the fact he had 22 wins with a 2.88 GAA and a 905% tells you just how good buffalo upfront was. Don't even get to pull out Legace's numbers, who, had more Vezina votes that Roberto Luongo did.

It was expected that Biron was the heir aparent to Hasek, but never lived up to expectations. He couldn't seperate himself from Noronen (who equally sucks) and couldn't beat out a rookie. Ryan Miller paid his dues to get where he is. Biron has not.

aceface

I honestly don't know where you're coming from, other than the 10-4 loss against Ottawa I can't remember Biron having a bad game this year. He won 13 games in a row at one point, which was the longest such streak in awhile. He had a few up and down years before that, but the team was bad in those years, if anything this year proves that if you put him on a good team (like Detroit would be), he can flourish.

Malakhov

Banned
Aebischer accepted the qualifying offer, he will now earn 2 millions for the next season...

hmm, good trade bait :D

Malakhov

Banned
With Vancouver's acquisition of Luongo and the cap space they will have this summer, I think their future is looking bright, just depends on how they will do on the UFA market this summer.

I think Mitchell said he wants to go play in Vancouver, Mitchell > Allen.

Jovo is overrated, he played half the season anyways, he's easily replaceable and well Bertuzzi wasn't Bertuzzi.

I'm happy for you 'Nucks fans, I've been saying the missing link was an elite goaltender in Vancouver and now you have him.

Habs vs Canucks finals coming soon in your living room!

P.S: I'm just pissed my Canucks Bertuzzi jersey is now ruined :(

Reilly said:
When has Biron shown any confidence? Legace kept his mouth shut and worked his butt off to get the #1 position. All Biron has done was suck and ask for a trade. Even if the Wings get Biron, I'm not so sure he can beat Osgood out for the spot.
Reilly said:
the fact he had 22 wins with a 2.88 GAA and a 905% tells you just how good buffalo upfront was. Don't even get to pull out Legace's numbers, who, had more Vezina votes that Roberto Luongo did.

#1 - Biron has a reputation for being a slightly 'cocky' goalie, which in some cases can be a bad thing, but at this point it's exactly what the Wings need - a goalie with some confidence in himself. Legace had none - and the Wings have zero confidence in him.

#2 - Legace kept his mouth shut? Uhhh...no. Not even close. One of the main reasons why Legace is gone is because of his post-game comments during (and after) the season. Yeah, I want a goalie who credits every single win he gets to "luck...the guys really bailed me out" and after he sucks ass in the playoffs says he "feels like going home and hanging himself"...NO THANKS. He has no confidence, and the team can do better.

#3 - Are you seriously suggesting that the Wings would be better off with Osgood as the starter than Biron? :lol Lay off the crack pipe.

#4 - Wait, so Biron's numbers were a product of Buffalo's play, but Legace's were not a result of Detroit's play? ROFFLE. Yeah, lets pull out Legace's numbers! No goalie playing for the Wings has ever had inflated stats in the regular season then been exposed when the style of play changes in the playoffs! Osgood is a lock for the hall, right?!?!

Look, I'm not suggesting Biron is definately the solution to the Wings goaltending problem, but anyone who's followed the team can see he's better in this situation than Legace is. 'Course, maybe I'm biased against 5'5" emo goalies who suck up high and cry everytime they let a goal in.....

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Desjardin probably retiring and Flyers not re-signing Johnsson:

Desjardins, 37, most likely will retire after 17 NHL seasons, Clarke said. The Flyers will not re-sign any of their other unrestricted free agents - Donald Brashear, Brian Savage and Chris Therien. Without Johnsson and Desjardins, the Flyers will be left with just five NHL defensemen.
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14903163.htm

Bondra probably retiring as well:

With the NHL's free agency period to begin Saturday, the Thrashers will not offer contracts — for now — to forwards Peter Bondra, Ronald Petrovicky, J.P. Vigier and Serge Aubin.

General manager Don Waddell suspects Bondra, 38, will retire. He stands two goals shy of 500 for his career after scoring 21 in 60 games last season. A sports hernia injury greatly affected his performance in the second half and caused him to miss 22 games.
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14903163.htm

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Damn Pittsburgh sure did take out the trash:
PENGUINS MAKE QUALIFYING OFFERS TO SIX PLAYERS
06/26/2006
The Pittsburgh Penguins have made qualifying offers to six of their group II free agents, thus retaining their rights, it was announced Monday by General Manager Ray Shero.

The following six players have been extended qualifying offers: forwards - Colby Armstrong, Ryan Malone, Niklas Nordgren, Jani Rita; defenseman - Brooks Orpik; goaltender - Marc-Andre Fleury.

The following 11 players have not been extended qualifying offers and become unrestricted free agents: forwards - Ben Eaves, Andy Hilbert, Krystofer Kolanos, Konstantin Koltsov, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy, Petr Taticek; defensemen - Drew Fata, Alexandre Rouleau, Andy Schneider; goaltender - Andy Chiodo.

The unrestricted free agency period begins at 12:01 a.m. on July 1.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1927.0.php

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
In other news, it is not official yet, but veteran winger Tie Domi, one of the most popular players in franchise history, will be bought out of the final year of his contract by Friday. The decision has already been made and the Leafs are waiting this week to see whether they can move his $1.25 million salary in a trade in exchange for picking up salary from another team.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

Its celebration time bitches. Also the Leafs basically extended qualifying offers to all their RFAs even Antropov.

Some rumours:

Sharks goalie Vesa Toskala might be heading to Ottawa if Senators forward Martin Havlat is willing to give up unrestricted free agency after next season.

There could be other obstacles to the trade, but talks are ongoing between the teams, according to an NHL source familiar with conversations held in Vancouver, British Columbia, during last weekend's draft. However, the source said, the Sharks "aren't going to make the move unless Havlat signs a contract for three years.''
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14909978.htm

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
rs7k said:
Damn the Sharks would be so scary with Havlat (provided he remains healthy).

His injury this year was pretty much a fluke injury. I don't know if San Jose would be better, Nabokov wasn't that great last year so who knows how he would do this year. I'm sure they would rather trade Nabokov but who would want that contract.

pops619

Wow, Shero is going to work wonders for this team if the owners can get their shit straight... I'm convinced.

No question. The Pens have something great building and it will happen sooner than most think. The imminent addition of Evgeni Malkin will be huge. If Shero manages to replace the bums he's getting rid of with some solid players, don't be surprised if the Pens make a big jump up back into the bottom of the playoff picture. I think Crosby and Malkin are already that good.

Just wait, two years and we'll probably have Staal on Crosby's wing. Malkin on the second line. Fleury, Whitney, Welch, Orpik, those guys will be developed. This is going to be great. As long as the team stays in Pittsburgh, of course. Wherever they are, they're going to be great.

EDIT: More potentially great Penguins news. Reportedly, Mark Cuban and Dan Marino are joining Andy Murstein's group that is trying to buy the Pens. If they get the team, supposedly they are willing to keep the team in Pittsburgh as long as they have to wait to get an arena. In other words, if they buy the team, there's no way the team moves. They've got Pittsburgh ties and have big resources. This might be the big one for us Pens fans.

So word is that Pronger will only play in two Canadian cities.....Vancouver and Toronto.

P.S. Awesome news on Domi. It's 10 years overdue though.

Sandman42

JFJ better ****ing not try to trade for Pronger. Edmonton will rape him for Kaberle, Steen and Stajan.

There is no way I would do that. Stay away from Lowe.

EDIT: More potentially great Penguins news. Reportedly, Mark Cuban and Dan Marino are joining Andy Murstein's group that is trying to buy the Pens. If they get the team, supposedly they are willing to keep the team in Pittsburgh as long as they have to wait to get an arena. In other words, if they buy the team, there's no way the team moves. They've got Pittsburgh ties and have big resources. This might be the big one for us Pens fans.

This really surprises me, because Cuban has gone into quite a bit of detail before as to why he doesn't want to buy into other leagues. Pittsburgh is certainly a very, very cheap way to buy in though, and as long as Mario sticks around somehow Cuban doesn't need to be a face.

How they've come up with a financial plan to wait out an arena is beyond me though.

Best of luck Pens fans...:\

Sandman42 said:
JFJ better ****ing not try to trade for Pronger. Edmonton will rape him for Kaberle, Steen and Stajan.

There is no way I would do that. Stay away from Lowe.

Apparently the Oilers want Kaberle and Steen. Not Stajan.

Saw this too:

The notion that this mass of malfunction has given up on Raycroft is the best advertisement for the Leafs, who almost came away with defenceman Nick Boynton (for Carlo Colaiacovo and more) on the weekend as well.

pops619

This really surprises me, because Cuban has gone into quite a bit of detail before as to why he doesn't want to buy into other leagues. Pittsburgh is certainly a very, very cheap way to buy in though, and as long as Mario sticks around somehow Cuban doesn't need to be a face.

How they've come up with a financial plan to wait out an arena is beyond me though.

Best of luck Pens fans...:\

Cuban's not really going to be the head owner or anything. Andy Murstein is the leader of this group. It seems that Cuban and Dan Marino are joining on to give them the extra money and name value they'll need to buy the team.

This group certainly has the finances to wait for an arena. Murstein was already aligned with a Pittsburgh group (Walnut Capital I think). These guys have big money and I believe one of the heads of that company was high school friends with Cuban. Obviously, Cuban's got a lot of money, and so does Marino. This seems to be the best thing that could have happened to the Penguins. Well off people from Pittsburgh are trying to buy the team, and they're going to do it to keep them in the city, not to move them and make the most money.

Here's the link: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/today/s_459732.html

This is the beginning of the third great story for the Pens since the season ended. They've got a new, progressive GM in Shero. All paths have been cleared for Evgeni Malkin to come to Pittsburgh this season. Finally, a group has stepped up that has the resources and intentions to keep them here no matter what. This is a great time to be a Pens fan, for sure.

Fifty

But if they did, they'd have to give so much away it would be the nail in the coffin for JFG and I'd consider never cheering for the team again.

Fifty said:
But if they did, they'd have to give so much away it would be the nail in the coffin for JFG and I'd consider never cheering for the team again.

That's the thing. Edmonton wants Kaberle and Steen but I doubt JFJ would pull the trigger.

That would be so, so, so, so funny if Pronger demanded a trade out of Edmonton because he hated the city and wound up going to Vancouver.

Oiler - Canuck games, especially in Edmonton, would be so much more awesome.

Actually the word out of Edmonton is Pronger's wife will accept *only* Toronto out of the Canadian cities because it's relatively close to the Eastern US seaboard.

My guess is Pronger is going to end up in Tampa Bay or Philly, as I seriously doubt Toronto has the assets to come up with a better package than anyone else.

Canadian cities have a terrible rap with Americans, sadly. The Toronto Raptors who are working out player's for the NBA draft tomorrow brought in guard Randy Foye ... who upon being notified that he'd be going up to Toronto thought it would "cold and stuff".

Until his agent assured him "it's metropolitian, they have buildings, like New York City". :lol :lol

Yes ... we have great freestanding igloos up here. Some of the best in the world. Especailly in June, they're just breathtaking.

Speaking of igloos though ... Mark Cuban getting involved with the Penguins would be fantastic for the organization. It's a terrific young team, and given the history of the franchise with Mario and the 90s, they definitely should stay in Pittsburgh. Having them relocate to Tennesee or some crap would just be wrong.

soundwave05 said:
Actually the word out of Edmonton is Pronger's wife will accept *only* Toronto out of the Canadian cities because it's relatively close to the Eastern US seaboard.
Holy shit...time to turn in your man card, Chris.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Uh, Pronger = can punch a hole in the face of every person here that's called him whipped...at the same time.

He's looking after his family guys. If the family's not happy, then you do what you can to make them happy. Don't even try to tell me that you guy's would just tell your family to stfu if this was happening to you.

Well, you could, but you'd be eating your food out of a dog bowl and sleeping in the garage forever.

Wolf said:
Uh, Pronger = can punch a hole in the face of every person here that's called him whipped...at the same time.

He's looking after his family guys. If the family's not happy, then you do what you can to make them happy. Don't even try to tell me that you guy's would just tell your family to stfu if this was happening to you.

Well, you could, but you'd be eating your food out of a dog bowl and sleeping in the garage for ever.

Well when a woman gets married to a hockey player I'm sure she knows about the travel and the likelihood of living elsewhere. Or maybe some of them are too blinded by the $$$$$ to think that rationally.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
ForzaItalia said:
Well when a woman gets married to a hockey player I'm sure she knows about the travel and the likelihood of living elsewhere. Or maybe some of them are too blinded by the $$$$$ to think that rationally.
haha.. you tried to use women and logic in the same sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom