• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Sandman42 said:
What about Flordia's front line of Gary Roberts, Olli Jokinen, and Todd Bertuzzi. Can you say domination?

Roberts(injury prone) Jokinen(great player) Bertuzzi(off his game)

Doesn't exactly impress me.

Minny's first line is scary though.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Reilly said:
Jay McKee signed with TO? When did that happen?

Didn't you hear everyone is potentially under the Leaf's payroll when UFA.

Leafs back end next season.

Chara-Pronger
Redden-Kaberle
McCabe-Mckee

Barrage

This post may seem outdated, but just know that due to a mixture of my Computer malfunctioning and helping Chris Pronger sell off some property in Alberta, i've been very busy and haven't kept up with Hockey news.

One piece of information that greatly saddened me was the news of Christobal Huet signing with Montreal. I was really hoping that he would sign with Dallas. I think we would really need him in nets if,say, Marty Turco was injured by having rubble fall on him while saving orphans from an abandoned building or another one of his daily exploits. Oh, and we couldn't find any good free agent goalie and resigned Hedberg. Oh, and Hedberg was hit by a bus and couldn't play. Oh, and all our minor league goalies were abducted or kidnapped or similarly disposed of. In those circumstances, I would love to have Huet backing up whatever random homeless person we would choose to play Goalie.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Sportsnet said:
The Edmonton Oilers have tendered qualifying offers to restricted free agents Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll.

Edmonton also qualified Mathieu Roy and Toby Petersen of the AHL, but not Dan Baum, Kenny Smith or Jason Platt, and they did not exercise their option on Ty Conklin, which will make the four unrestricted free agents.
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hock...06/06/28/three_oilers_get_qualifying_of/#more

The Ty Conklin era in Edmonton is over :(

Reilly

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Roberts wanting back in TO is no surprise to me, I bet he only left do to his hate of Pat Quinn. He made it known that he found Quinns decisions as a coach baffling especially his Sundin linemates.

Fifty

Roberts should just retire. First he goes to Florida with his friend Joe, and now he wants to come back here because his daughter is all alone in boarding school? I went to boarding school in a city away from my parents, I think she can handle it. No way this guy comes back..I thought he burned enough bridges leaving. He can play for the Marlies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BigJonsson said:
Injury prone

I'd rather have Gary Roberts on the ice than Belak or Tie Domi... injury prone or not

oh and the kicker about the mccabe news...

well...

he still hasn't signed yet :lol

he's just agreed to the contract... which is exactly what he did 2 weeks ago

Barrage

**** Arnott. Stupid bitch wants to "test free agency" now...not that we were gonna sign him back anyway, when he wants $4 million/year for 4 year or more, but still...leave his ass for dead and sign Anson Carter.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I like Roberts but I do not like his 2.25 million dollar salary. I wouldn't be interested unless Florida were to take either Belfour or Domi and than they could buy them out. But knowing JFJ he will overpay even for a player who wants to come here. Or I guess Florida can buy him out and we can sign him for a cheaper salary.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
R_GILL said:
I like Roberts but I do not like his 2.25 million dollar salary. I wouldn't be interested unless Florida were to take either Belfour or Domi and than they could buy them out. But knowing JFJ he will overpay even for a player who wants to come here. Or I guess Florida can buy him out and we can sign him for a cheaper salary.

maybe belfour for roberts and nieuwendyk? haha

"we'll trade you our current trash for our old trash back"

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!

Malakhov

Banned
Stars' Arnott will try free agency
By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

The Stars and Jason Arnott have ended discussions, and Arnott is awaiting the start of free agency Saturday, according to his agent.

"We've had our discussions, and it's clear that it won't get done now, so Jason will look at the marketplace," said Wade Arnott, Arnott's brother and agent.

Wade Arnott said the major stumbling block is length, and Stars GM Doug Armstrong confirmed that he will only consider long-term contracts for younger players. Arnott will turn 32 on Oct. 11.

Armstrong said the team wants to keep its options open because the age of unrestricted free agency lowers to 28 next summer and 27 in 2008.

"I think term is going to be a huge part of any discussion in free agency going forward," Armstrong said. "The value of a player's years in his prime is simply going to be greater."

Armstrong said he would like to talk to Arnott after he tests the marketplace. Wade Arnott said Jason also would like to keep the Stars in the picture but predicted that his brother would be a coveted player in the free-agent market.

"I think when you look at the centers available, Jason is at the top of the list," Wade said. "I have a feeling there will be plenty of interest."

Welcome to Montreal, Arnott.

calder

Wolf said:
Well leafers, good luck with Lidstro-...oh, sorry, read the $ amount and assumed you got a number 1 d-man...good luck with Mcabe though.
:lol :lol QFT.

McKenzie: Pay up for Pronger

TSN.ca Staff

6/28/2006

Once the news broke that Chris Pronger wanted out of Edmonton, the Oilers did not waste any time initiating the trade process.

On Saturday at the NHL Entry Draft, the Oilers dropped off little slips of paper at the draft tables of teams the Oilers have targeted as potential trading partners. On each slip were names of players the Oilers are interested in getting in exchange for Pronger.

Not surprisingly, the price is steep: a quality forward, a quality defenceman and a first round draft pick.

Ten to 12 teams are said to be legitimately interested but only half that many are likely equipped to make the deal, which in a perfect world gets made sooner rather than later, quite possibly in the next three or four days.

If the Toronto Maple Leafs want to get it done, it will have to happen before Saturday.

That's when Tomas Kaberle's no trade clause kicks in and he would most certainly be part of any package going to Edmonton, although the Leafs and Oilers have been told in no uncertain terms that Kaberle would not be amused by the prospect of a trade.

Complicating the Pronger trade scenario is that the same teams interested in Pronger are also interested in the bevy of unrestricted free agent defencemen who become available on Saturday. That includes Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden and Ed Jovanovski amongst others.

In fact, the Oilers would like to be part of that party. If the team could sign a veteran defenceman, say Wade Redden, to offset Pronger's absence, it would give the Oilers greater flexibility to take younger players in the Pronger trade package.

That would give teams like Anaheim, with a surplus of young guns like Joffrey Lupul, Dustin Penner, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf, or Florida with Jay Bouwmeester, Stephen Weiss, Nathan Horton and Anthony Stewart, or San Jose with Milan Michalek, Matt Carle, Steve Bernier and Devin Setoguchi, amongst others, the inside track on Pronger.

The New York Rangers, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and the Maple Leafs are other teams with varying degrees of interest in the big blueliner.

Now the Oilers would dearly love to get this done as soon as possible, and they'll be working hard to make it happen in the next few days

But if it isn't done by Saturday or Sunday, it's reasonable to assume Edmonton may have to wait considerably longer than that to let free agency take its course, see who gets shut out and who is prepared to come back knocking on the Oilers' door.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
REM PONDERS FUTURE: Rem Murray, meanwhile, who went from feel-good story to solid contributor in the playoffs, probably won't be back either.

The Oilers are interested in another year if Murray is, but having to play for free (his salary goes to pay back the insurance he received when a nerve disorder in his neck seemingly ended his career) is a lot to ask. He's considering retirement.
Poor Remmer. Robbed of the Masterton.

CKNW Radio in Vancouver adds that the deal will pay Luongo $6 million US in the first year, $6.5 million US in the second year, $7 million in the third year, and $7.5 million in the final year. The contract also contains a no-trade clause, which kicks in at the start of the second year.

I am having sexy dreams tonight. Very sexy contract. Sexy.

The McCabe deal averages out at $5.75 million a year, which is getting awfully close to the $6.25 million that Chris Pronger, widely regarded as the best defenceman in the game, will earn in each of the next four years. Oh, and he just happens to be available.

Now, does anybody seriously believe that McCabe is in Pronger's league? Not even the most died-in-the-wool, blinders-on Leafs fan could argue that one. Nor is McCabe in the same category as Zdeno Chara or Ed Jovanovski, both of whom will likely be entertaining offers this weekend.

Meanwhile, a few of the league's best defencemen and a whole raft of the league's good defencemen will be up for grabs.

Faced with this unique opportunity to re-shape their future, the Leafs have settled for the status quo. That's the kind of thinking that has separated the Leafs from the Stanley Cup for four decades.

Dopeyfish said Kaberle was better than Pronger:lol

Only in Toronto.....

SickBoy

I'm surprised this hasn't surfaced here, but the rumour on Pronger is that the reason he wants out of Edmonton is a sticky family situation: namely that he got a local media personality pregnant.

Note, that I have no hard proof, but it's definitely churning around the rumour mill in Edmonton... seems awfully specific for wild speculation, though...

EDIT: Photo removed because I'm paranoid... a little digging should find you this person's name, however :)

fallout

SickBoy said:
Note, that I have no hard proof, but it's definitely churning around the rumour mill in Edmonton... seems awfully specific for wild speculation, though...
:lol That's terrible logic. Anyway, someone made a joke about it a couple pages back.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
TemplaerDude said:
I am having sexy dreams tonight. Very sexy contract. Sexy.

Damn good deal for Luongo, and they got that done much quicker than I expected. See ya later Cloutier!

SickBoy

fallout said:
:lol That's terrible logic. Anyway, someone made a joke about it a couple pages back.

Because logic rules in the world of rumours and speculation (and I've clearly staked my opinion on "this must be true"). Just commenting that normally you'd hear what was mentioned earlier: That he got "someone", some faceless person, pregnant, not a media personality who (I'd presume) is actually pregnant.

I've just heard it from two or three different people and I was surprised it wasn't here.

dem

While we are talking about dollars and sense ... one GM told me he could have had Colorado winger Alex Tanguay for a draft choice -- and not a first-rounder.

:D

sefskillz said:
I'm still convinced he knocked up no less than 7 Whyte Avenue girls after game 6.
:lol :lol :lol

Great signing by the Nucks...even if that does seem pricey for a goaltender that hasn't ever made the playoffs.

Luongo to Det was always a pipe dream; the Wings could never afford him while re-signing Lidstrom.

Solo

Faced with this unique opportunity to re-shape their future, the Leafs have settled for the status quo. That's the kind of thinking that has separated the Leafs from the Stanley Cup for four decades.

Priceless :lol :lol :lol

i refuse to believe JFJ is this stupid. i really think the owners want more MCabe Jersey sales from tools like Big Johnsson and are forcing JFJ to overpay him.

Kabuki Waq said:
i refuse to believe JFJ is this stupid. i really think the owners want more MCabe Jersey sales from tools like Big Johnsson and are forcing JFJ to overpay him.

HEY

THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR DAMMIT!

Just because I have a McCabe jersey doesn't make me a tool! He was the leading scorer on the team when I bought it

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Barrage said:
One piece of information that greatly saddened me was the news of Christobal Huet signing with Montreal. I was really hoping that he would sign with Dallas. I think we would really need him in nets if,say, Marty Turco was injured by having rubble fall on him while saving orphans from an abandoned building or another one of his daily exploits. Oh, and we couldn't find any good free agent goalie and resigned Hedberg. Oh, and Hedberg was hit by a bus and couldn't play. Oh, and all our minor league goalies were abducted or kidnapped or similarly disposed of. In those circumstances, I would love to have Huet backing up whatever random homeless person we would choose to play Goalie.

Save it for the season Barrage. Tough luck about Arnott though, I hear he wanted a clause in his contract that promised him he wouldn't have to endure another embarrassing, disgracefull playoff performance by the Stars. Sadly, Armstrong made it clear to him that with the signing of Marty Turco long term, the direction of the franchishe is already set.

Welcome to Montreal Arnott.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
SickBoy said:
I'm surprised this hasn't surfaced here, but the rumour on Pronger is that the reason he wants out of Edmonton is a sticky family situation: namely that he got a local media personality pregnant.

EDIT: Photo removed because I'm paranoid... a little digging should find you this person's name, however :)
PM me, my man!

dem said:
shit.. redden signed..
No surprises there. You'd have to be a woolheaded lummox to think he'd go elsewh- whoops, sorry dem didn't see you standing there. :)

Roberto (he calls me Tim 'cuz we're close like that) signs with the Canucks long-term? Oh what a happy day.

There are rumblings that Pronger had an affair with an Edmonton news girl or something, but the Oilers organization for Pronger's sake are trying to keep it private ... but I hadn't heard about the pregnancy thing.

Would explain why he didn't ask to be traded at the trade deadline though ... obviously if his wife really didn't like the city, she would have been pressing for a trade by Feburary.

His wife probably busted him after the trade deadline.

Not that any of this would really be that shocking anyway. A pro athlete who's unfaithful in marriage ... *shock*. I remember reading an article that the St. Louis Blues (when Pronger was on the team) would have a special jar that they'd put their wedding rings in when on road trips :lol

Sickboy - PM me please.

dem

bishoptl said:
No surprises there. You'd have to be a woolheaded lummox to think he'd go elsewh- whoops, sorry dem didn't see you standing there. :)
Meh... I woulda left the Sens. Its obvious that theyre never going to win in the playoffs. No heart.
I imagine thats why he only signed for 2 years.

What's the deal with the Ottawa goaltending situation anyway?

I'm guessing Hasek at age 42 or whatever is done, so are they going to let it ride full time with Emery? Can they even afford to pay a goalie $3-$5 million with their cap situation?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Didn't Turco resign with the Stars back before the playoffs started? Silly Stars, resigning Turco before the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom