• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was hoping he'd sign for a bit less, I guess you can't knock a guy for taking the same salary as last year after winning another Norris. Pronger looks like a damn good deal for one of the top 4 dmen in the league for 6.25...then again, he's going to take assets to obtain as well.

So the Leafs are interested in Arnott and McKee:

Arnott, 31, informed the Dallas Stars this week he intends to test the free-agent waters. The Wasaga Beach native, who earned about $2.9 million US last year, established career highs with 76 points and 44 assists and is considered by some NHL executives to be the best all-around centre available in this year's crop of free agents.

Sources indicate Arnott would be "intrigued" at landing with the Leafs.

McKee, a Kingston native, has a soft spot for the Leafs.

"When you grow up cheering for a team like I did with the Leafs, you understand they had a lot to do with you reaching the NHL," said McKee, believed to be seeking a multi-year deal worth between $3 million and $4 million.

dem

Sources have told TSN that the Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired Marc Denis from Columbus for forward Fredrik Modin and Finnish netminder Fredrik Norrena. Details to follow...

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
dem said:
Sources have told TSN that the Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired Marc Denis from Columbus for forward Fredrik Modin and Finnish netminder Fredrik Norrena. Details to follow...

Makes sense, Tampa was looking to lose his contract to keep their big 3. Slowly Columbus is becoming quite the team. Now if LeClaire can handle the load of a full schedule and Nash can stay healthy they might be the most improved team next year.

R_GILL said:
Makes sense, Tampa was looking to lose his contract to keep their big 3. Slowly Columbus is becoming quite the team. Now if LeClaire can handle the load of a full schedule and Nash can stay healthy they might be the most improved team next year.

Who are they going to have play in net though?

Tampa Bay got the better end of this deal IMO.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
soundwave05 said:
Who are they going to have play in net though?

Tampa Bay got the better end of this deal IMO.

Pascal Leclaire, he was better than Denis this year but that was in limited action.

"We want to thank Tie for his many years of service to the organization," said Ferguson. "He became a fan favourite for a reason and we wish him well in the years ahead."

"Eddie added a lot to the Toronto Maple Leafs and we appreciate all that he did for us," added Ferguson.

"At this stage we are taking a different direction, and we feel privileged to have had one of the game's great goalies play for the Maple Leafs."

FINALLY....FINALLY...FINALLY....DOMI IS GONE!!!!!:D

it would be a better day if Domi found a way to land in MTL edmonton or vancouver.

I would say maybe calgary too but he might actually be one of the more talented players (offense) there.

calder

Kabuki gets a gold star for effort... a D- for the actual attempted troll, but like the Leafs organization I've decided to stop focusing on pesky results and instead celebrate even half assed effort.

calder said:
Kabuki gets a gold star for effort... a D- for the actual attempted troll, but like the Leafs organization I've decided to stop focusing on pesky results and instead celebrate even half assed effort.

you know you want him. I hope you guys give him a chance as a first line center. HE IS SO GOOD JUST NEVER GETS CHANCE :(

Trust me.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
calder said:
like the Leafs organization I've decided to stop focusing on pesky results
Hey...HEY. None of that! We're all brothers here, united in seeing Domi taken out back behind the ACC and

4.jpg

So who else now needs a goalie now?

Pretty much just Detroit and Philedelphia (perhaps), right? With Tampa Bay getting Denis, I don't think the Ducks will be able to move Giguere unless Detroit is willing to take on his big salary.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs draft domi
Leafs trade domi to NYR
Leafs get domi from Winnipeg
Leafs trade domi to nashville
Leafs sign domi
Leafs buyout domi

even though we think he's gone for good... we're probably wrong :(

DopeyFish said:
Leafs draft domi
Leafs trade domi to NYR
Leafs get domi from Winnipeg
Leafs trade domi to nashville
Leafs sign domi
Leafs buyout domi

even though we think he's gone for good... we're probably wrong :(

likely so. Let's peer into the crystal ball...

Leafs wait for domi to retire
Leafs sign domi out of retirement
Leafs buyout domi
Leafs wait for twentieth anniversary of 1994 season and sign domi out of retirement
Leafs buyout domi
Leafs sign domi as head coach
Leafs fire domi
Leafs sign domi as general manager
Leafs fire domi
Leafs reanimate domi's body
Leafs sign domi

calder

If Leaf fans are smart, they'll start sending MLSE faxes and letters NOW demanding that Domi not be given a front office job of any kind after he retires... and hey, didn't he say he wouldn't play for any other team? We'll see if he has a tearful retirement ceremony next week or if he decides to sign on with whoever will take him. Shit, hope JFJ was smart enough to have Domi's parking pass revoked and his personal effects taken out of hte locker room and dumped in a box in the alley before they announced anything!

EDIT: ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkk I just realized that if, hockey jebus be merciful, Domi does retire than there's a 90% chance that either the CBC, TSN, Snet or Score will hire him to fill their retarded-former-player talking head quota!! Please god let the CBC be smarter than that, with the whole HNIC telecast falling to pieces the last thing I can take is ****ing Tie Domi doing a Cherry impersonation during the 2nd intermission of every game!

SickBoy

Crazymoogle said:
likely so. Let's peer into the crystal ball...

Leafs reanimate domi's body
Leafs sign domi

Disagree. I think they'll develop a team of clone Domis, where he plays every position.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SickBoy said:
Disagree. I think they'll develop a team of clone Domis, where he plays every position.
and create an entire audience of Domi clones. :D

fallout

calder said:
EDIT: ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkk I just realized that if, hockey jebus be merciful, Domi does retire than there's a 90% chance that either the CBC, TSN, Snet or Score will hire him to fill their retarded-former-player talking head quota!! Please god let the CBC be smarter than that, with the whole HNIC telecast falling to pieces the last thing I can take is ****ing Tie Domi doing a Cherry impersonation during the 2nd intermission of every game!
Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll only be working for Leafs TV?

Wolf

GO HABS GO
fri_001.jpg

Aritcle

:lol

Shit that picture is gold. Whatever he's going threw, thats fine...but man they really sold him in that picture. Face of sorrow, holding back the tears, pink shirt, flowers right beside him...

*archive's photo for upcoming season.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wolf said:
fri_001.jpg

Aritcle

Shit that picture is gold. Whatever he's going threw, thats fine...but man they really sold him in that picture. Face of sorrow, holding back the tears, pink shirt, flowers right beside him...

*archive's photo for upcoming season.

dem

St. Louis sports reporter John Hadley reports having recently spoken with Edmonton Oilers (and former Blue) defenceman Chris Pronger, who intends to hold a press conference on Tuesday "to discuss his career moving forward in addition to releasing a statement setting the record straight regarding his professional and personal situation in Edmonton." Hadley claims Pronger "annoyed and disappointed with the misinformation and lies being bandied about through the media regarding his professional life in Edmonton and personal life in general." Hadley also claims five teams are negotiating with the Oilers for Pronger in hopes of getting a deal done prior to noon tomorrow, which is the commencement timing for unrestricted free agency.

dem said:
St. Louis sports reporter John Hadley reports having recently spoken with Edmonton Oilers (and former Blue) defenceman Chris Pronger, who intends to hold a press conference on Tuesday "to discuss his career moving forward in addition to releasing a statement setting the record straight regarding his professional and personal situation in Edmonton." Hadley claims Pronger "annoyed and disappointed with the misinformation and lies being bandied about through the media regarding his professional life in Edmonton and personal life in general." Hadley also claims five teams are negotiating with the Oilers for Pronger in hopes of getting a deal done prior to noon tomorrow, which is the commencement timing for unrestricted free agency.

Hmmm. Sounds like tomorrow will be a very, very busy day. 5 teams is good. Bidding war :)

Stench

Banned
dem said:
Hadley claims Pronger "annoyed and disappointed with the misinformation and lies being bandied about through the media regarding his professional life in Edmonton and personal life in general."
Oh, now YOU'RE "annoyed and dissapointed"?

Well, gee whiz. I feel so sorry for you, Chris.

He so banged that chick. Whatever he says during this press conference will be nothing but a diversionary tactic.

Do not believe his lies.

Socreges

Banned
Stench said:
Oh, now YOU'RE "annoyed and dissapointed"?

Well, gee whiz. I feel so sorry for you, Chris.
Who would you feel more sorry for:

1) Oiler fan who sees best defenseman want out of his/her city, but presumably continues to live normal life
2) Man who has his reputation ruined across the media

Nevermind what is truth or lie. Just answer the question.

An athlete can't admit to that kind of stuff in the public. It's a no-no. The only reason Kobe Bryant had to do it was because the Colorado police department were about to make the story public and he had no choice.

Pronger will say basically all he can. He enjoyed his time in Edmonton but a personal issue has arised and he can no longer stay in the city. He will probably try and take some of the heat off his wife.

Stench

Banned
1) Oiler fan who sees best defenseman want out of his/her city, but presumably continues to live normal life
2) Man who has his reputation ruined across the media, but is still banging hot chicks left and right and is filthy, stinking rich
I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Not sure if I'm ready to say that his reputation has been ruined at this point, either... it still appears that he is a desired commodity by many teams in the league, with the media having no ill effect.

Stench said:
I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Not sure if I'm ready to say that his reputation has been ruined at this point, either... it still appears that he is a desired commodity by many teams in the league.

:lol if teams only signed/acquired players based on their "personal reputation", you wouldn't be able to field a roster in any major pro sport.

Socreges

Banned
So you completely ignored my point. Basically, quit acting like victims. Like he has done you wrong; and meanwhile he has no right to complain.*

The sting must have its origins in something more fundamental. Deadmonton, perhaps.

* probably doesnt. probably does cheat on his wife, etc

Socreges said:
So you completely ignored my point. Basically, quit acting like victims. Like he has done you wrong; and meanwhile he has no right to complain.*

The sting must have its origins in something more fundamental. Deadmonton, perhaps.

* probably doesnt. probably does cheat on his wife, etc

The people who are mad at him in Edmonton are probably the few who still don't know the full story.

Once I found out what happened ... well what can you do? It is what it is. I'm actually quite impressed that Pronger played as well as he did given the shit storm that no doubt was going on when he got back home.

Stench

Banned
Socreges said:
Trust me, I'm not taking this personally (as a fan) in any way.

I just think it's stupid how he tells his agent to request a trade while he bails to Mexico, and doesn't release an official reason why he wants to be traded, and THEN states that he's "annoyed and dissapointed" with the reaction his actions have been received.

What the f*ck did you think would happen, Chris?

Stench said:
Trust me, I'm not taking this personally (as a fan) in any way.

I just think it's stupid how he tells his agent to request a trade while he bails to Mexico, and doesn't release an official reason why he wants to be traded, and THEN states that he's "annoyed and dissapointed" with the reaction his actions have been received.

What the f*ck did you think would happen, Chris?

I guess ... but really, the guy is in the ultimate no-win situation here.

What is he supposed to do? Even if he told the 100% truth, his wife would probably be even more mad at him and his public reputation would be tarnished.

Socreges

Banned
k I was mostly replying to the "YOU'RE annoyed and disappointed" that read like "YOU'RE annoyed and disappointed? And what about US? :'("

Stench

Banned
Socreges said:
k I was mostly replying to the "YOU'RE annoyed and disappointed" that read like "YOU'RE annoyed and disappointed? And what about US? :'("
Well, even if I'm not taking it personally, I still have a tiny amount of those feelings...

:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom