• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinSoX

Banned
Now that Domi's gone, what's left to hate of the Leafs from the haters? Tucker?

Other than the obvious (the fat cats) there's nothing else to pick. Don't say Leafs fans too because you're just as annoying defending your own team.

fallout

NinSoX said:

Other than the obvious (the fat cats) there's nothing else to pick. Don't say Leafs fans too because you're just as annoying defending your own team.
Leaf fans.

calder

NinSoX said:

:lol

*shakes head*

calder

VANCOUVER (CP) - The Vancouver Canucks re-signed forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin to new three-year contracts on Friday worth $3.575 million US a season.

Both twins set career highs for points last year and were part of Sweden's gold medal-winning team at the Olympics in Turin.

"We are pleased to have signed Daniel and Henrik to long-term contracts with the team," Canucks GM Dave Nonis said in a release. "We have watched them raise their level of performance every season and consistently improve all aspects of their game since joining the Canucks.

"This is an exciting deal for the club."

sedins_42916.jpg

10.75mil for these two over the next 3 years? See ya Jovo! I'm still not convinced that Daniel doesn't wear Henrik's jersey every 5 games to get him a couple of points and keep him in the NHL. Actually, that would be incredibly cool if they were doing that. :lol

Vancouver's not going to have much of a defense next year. I'm assuming Carter is going to want a similar salary.

That would be somewhere in the ball park of $36 million for about 11 players, and apparently the word out of Vancouver is that Nonis is not allowed to go above $40 million. Jovocop is definitely gone. There also seems to holes at the forward spots. The Sedin-Carter line is solid ... but there doesn't seem to be much left to surround Naslund with.

I assume they'll try and do a salary dump for Cloutier ... but why would you want this guy for $2.5 mill/per when Gerber, Biron, Giguere, Roloson, etc. are availible on the market? He's not good enough to be a no.1 (esp. with the goalies still availible) and too expensive to be a back-up.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Who needs D? :D

Ph_RobertoLuongo.jpg

With Roberto (only friends get to call each other by first names) in the pipes, the Canucks can trade the entire defensive corps for forwards and drown the rest of the league in goals. Brick it up, Rob!

There isn't much money left to add any high scoring forwards. If Carter resigns at $3 mill ... you'd only have an average of under $500,000 to spend on the rest of your roster (11 other players) with a $40 million budget.

You're not going to get another scorer at that price. Luongo is an upgrade in net, but your D will take a hit, and your offense as well. Not a big fan of Bert, but the guy was definitely good for 20 goals/60-70 points a season. With him gone, the Canucks are a 1-line team.

BorkBork said:
Isn't the cap like $44 mil this season?

The cap is $44 mill, but the Vancouver ownership apparently is only willing to spend $40 mill. Which is not unusual. Most teams will not spend the full $44 million.

You have to remember the Canucks earned $0 playoff revune, which is precious for any franchise so their ownership is probably a little reluctant to spend the full cap on a team that might miss the playoffs for 2 straight years.

Even if they did spend the full cap though, getting a no.1 D man and another top flight forward or two would still be incredibly hard within that framework. If you resign Carter at about $3 million/season ... you're only left with an average of $730k or so per player to fill out the other 11 roster spots, even with a full $44 million budget.

Reilly

bishoptl said:

Ph_RobertoLuongo.jpg

With Roberto (only friends get to call each other by first names) in the pipes, the Canucks can trade the entire defensive corps for forwards and drown the rest of the league in goals. Brick it up, Rob!

Yeah, because Luongo has been so awesome with Florida's horrid defense.

If his name was Dominik Hasek, then I might agree with you.

Even Hasek wouldn't be that good with an average-poor defense. No goalie is.

The teams he played for -- Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa all had good-to-great defense.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
bishoptl said:

:lol :lol

blumarbl.jpg

dave_nonis_39902.jpg

"Ok Roberto, be sure to bend at the knee's before you put that on your shoulder's."

Reilly

soundwave05 said:
Even Hasek wouldn't be that good with an average-poor defense. No goalie is.

The teams he played for -- Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa all had good-to-great defense.

Hasek, in his prime, had displayed the greatest performances by any goalie to ever play hockey. To suggest Buffalo would have still been a playoff caliber team without him is quite possibly the most stupid statement any human could make. Buffalo literally had to win every game 2-1. Obviously, Hasek is probably incapable of carrying a team now at the age of 41. That said, Detroit would have not won the cup without him.

Reilly said:
Hasek, in his prime, had displayed the greatest performances by any goalie to ever play hockey. To suggest Buffalo would have still been a playoff caliber team without him is quite possibly the most stupid statement any human could make. Buffalo literally had to win every game 2-1. Obviously, Hasek is probably incapable of carrying a team now at the age of 41. That said, Detroit would have not won the cup without him.

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying Buffalo was still at least an average to above average defensive squad (for starters they actually HIT opponents) ... Hasek definitely was the franchise player, but it's not like the Buffalo defense left Hasek out to dry all night.

Hell, Calgary plays that way too, they rely on Kipper to win games for them, but that doesn't mean they play matador defense like Vancouver does.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
ForzaItalia said:
Didn't Detroit win a Cup with Vernon in 1997 and Osgood in 1998 as their starting goalies?

But those Detroit teams were stacked in elite forwards and defenseman. Hell all they needed was Yzerman, Federov and Lidstrom in there primes.

R_GILL said:
But those Detroit teams were stacked in elite forwards and defenseman. Hell all they needed was Yzerman, Federov and Lidstrom in there primes.

They could have won the Cup without Hasek too. It's not as if he stole a series for the Wings that year.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
nm, my drunk ass didn't read the thread properly. I agree with you that Detroit would have still won without Hasek, all they needed was a competent goaltender to not lose any games for them.

R_GILL said:
nm, my drunk ass didn't read the thread properly. I agree with you that Detroit would have still won without Hasek, all they needed was a competent goaltender to not lose any games for them.

Yep. That's why Reilly is wrong by saying Detroit wouldn't have won the Cup without him. If anything, he went there because he knew the Cup was pretty much a lock for Detroit. Cujo thought the same thing but by then Detroit had started to decline.

Speaking of goalies, here is the list of regular season shutout leaders. You guys think Brodeur will pass Sawchuk before his career ends?

1. Terry Sawchuk 103
2. George Hainsworth 94
3. Glenn Hall 84
4. Jacques Plante 82
5. Tiny Thompson 81
6. Alex Connell 81
7. Martin Brodeur* 80
8. Tony Esposito 76
9. Ed Belfour* 75
10. Lorne Chabot 73
11. Harry Lumley 71
12. Dominik Hasek* 68
13. Roy Worters 67
14. Patrick Roy 66
15. Turk Broda 62
16. John Ross Roach 58
17. Clint Benedict 55
18. Bernie Parent 54
19. Ed Giacomin 54
20. Ken Dryden 46

*Still active

Shit, and as for career playoff wins go, I never knew Patrick Roy dominated by so much:

1. Patrick Roy 151

2. Grant Fuhr 92
3. Martin Brodeur* 89
4. Billy Smith 88
5. Ed Belfour* 88
6. Ken Dryden 80

* Still active

NinSoX

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Rule number one for Leafs hater: Just laugh it off when you have nothing to say.

Yeah.

Domi...still a moron:

"I'm not going to let myself get bitter over this, but I definitely think this is personal. John (Ferguson) and I have had our differences since Day 1. This is just part of that. I'm getting calls from other organizations. It's flattering to hear from people. I'm getting more respect from other organizations than I got from my own."

Ferguson did call Domi's cellphone yesterday, apparently more than once, and left messages. Domi didn't return the calls. He couldn't.

"I have nothing to say to him right now," Domi said. "I don't want to talk to him."

Domi's last day as a Maple Leaf was spent on a golf course outside Pittsburgh, playing in Mario Lemieux's charity tournament. He knew all day he was being bought out by the Leafs. And as has been his custom, bull-headedly, he went ahead and finished the round.

He finished the round as his cellphone rang madly --teammates calling, former teammates, ex-coaches, general managers, friends. Suddenly his entire rolodex was calling back.

"Everybody seems more upset about it than I am," he said, not sounding all that believable. At the charity tournament, legends and semi-legends such as Dan Marino, Clark Gillies and if you can believe this one, John Congemi, all urged him to keep playing.

"Marino said you've got to keep going," Domi said. "He said if you can still play and it doesn't kill you, you have to keep playing. He said he quit because he had to."

Now he's tight with Dan Marino too:lol

calder

:lol I knew it! Domi is already explaining his decision to not retire like he said he would over and over again whenever he was the subject of trade rumours. His new best friend Dan Marino told him to play, so play he will!

Free agency starts in an hour, can't wait for the signings to happen. :D Can't imagine Darryl will get us a #1 center (Arnott?) but it's nice to dream.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
:lol Domi is ****ing delusional. I hope someone signs him for league minimum, and benches his ass for 60 games or more, leading up to the DOMI RETIRES : "I'm to good for NHL"
headline in the paper.

btw dream elsewhere calder, we're taking Arnott.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ferguson did call Domi's cellphone yesterday, apparently more than once, and left messages. Domi didn't return the calls. He couldn't.

he's probably calling just to play the song "hit the road jack" over the phone. I know I would

fallout

NinSoX said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Rule number one for Leafs hater: Just laugh it off when you have nothing to say.

Yeah.
Hey! And that's exactly what you did there! Clever. Do you even remember what you're arguing anymore?

DopeyFish

the news is too slow

god damnit, start signing people! I don't want this popcorn to go to waste!

according to eklund -

lindros is talking with boston atm

leafs are talking to rob blake and jason arnott

DopeyFish

Reilly said:
**** eklund

wah!, wah!

NOTE THE TALKING PART. IF YOU CAN'T TAKE RUMOURS WITH A BUCKET OF SALT, IT'S NOT HIS FAULT.

thank you.

eklund says Jovanoski has signed in phoenix - oh look! TSN confirms

Reilly

soundwave05 said:
I have a feeling Pronger is going to Florida. Bouweemester + Horton would be a decent package .... 30 goal-ish scoring center, big d-man both in their early 20s.

I would only offer JBo

Reilly said:
I would only offer JBo

Never gonna happen. The deals guys like Chara are getting are only making Pronger more valuable. Lidstrom is likely going to get $8 million now and Pronger outplayed him in the playoffs and is several years younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom