• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinSoX

Banned
I just saw a rerun of an interview with Roenick. Apparently the Canadian city he wanted to go to was Calgary. But he chose Phoenix because his family is there.

SA-X

Fight for Freeform said:
Anyways, SA-X, I haven't been able to find any news regarding Detroit...it's as if they haven't done anything during the last week (except the retirement of Stevie Y of course).
Thats because they haven't done anything during the last week.

Manics

Banned
Would be funny to see Peca on the Leafs and have him and Tucker go at in practices. Peca hated Tucker for that low hit in the playoffs a few years back, now he's willing to play on the same team with him? :lol

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=205765

As it stands now, the Hawks have Mark Bell, Arkhipov and Patrick Sharp as their top three centers. Tuomo Ruutu could be the club’s No. 1 center, but coach Trent Yawney believes Ruutu is more effective at wing.

Bell is believed to be one veteran they are trying to trade.

Hawks may be shopping Bell - this is exactly what the Wings need. Give them Williams/Hudler+...everyone Wins!

Of course, that's way too logical for Holland. Let's see if we can sign Shanny for 4+mil instead.

Sandman42

Manics said:
Would be funny to see Peca on the Leafs and have him and Tucker go at in practices. Peca hated Tucker for that low hit in the playoffs a few years back, now he's willing to play on the same team with him? :lol
The hatred goes long before that. When Tucker was on Tampa Bay and Peca was on Buffalo they hated each other as well.

But in the interview with the Fan 590 he said that he and Tucker have resolved their differences and put it all behind them. Tucker is supposedly friends with Peca's cousin.

Manics

Banned
sefskillz said:
Preds and Flames pushing for Lindros according to Eklund

This tells you all you need to know about Eklund:

"And he could be a better choice for certain teams. Eric will be a steal this year. He still has the potential to dominate the game this year, as he did early last year prior to the hand injury."

What league was Eklund watching where Lindros "dominated"? :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
According to CKNW in Vancouver, Noronen wants to be a starter in the NHL, something which will not happen as long as Luongo is around.

"Even if he doesn't play that well, he is going to play anyways. It is a (expletive) thing for me right now as I have no choice, I want to play in the NHL and not in Europe ... that's why I am hoping to sign a one-year deal and we'll see what happens after that," Noronen told the radio station during a Thursday interview.
bitch needs to drink a glass of STFU and stop some pucks, then he can talk.

Manics said:
I was thinking the same thing. :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Legace is still available folks!

Poor guy, he's so desperate.

"Good question, I have no idea," Legace said Friday. "No calls, nothing at this point."

The unrestricted free-agent goaltender hasn't got a sniff since the free-agent market opened last Saturday. And he's stunned.
"I'm willing to do anything on any team," he said. "Ideally I'd like to go to a team where at least I'd have a chance to compete for the No. 1 job. That's all I'm probably looking for now, a chance to compete."

Legace is honest to a fault... it is a bit refreshing though. At least the dude actually says something in his interviews instead of stringing a bunch of cliches together for infinity.

Reilly

Problem with Legace is that he picked the wrong year to be a free agent. This summer there were a ton of #1 goalies available. Hell, Biron is still on the market. Giguere, Toskala and Nobokov possibly. Hasek and Belfour. Cloutier, Raycroft and Luongo were just traded for. :lol

toro5741

BigJonsson said:
Eklund says Peca is not going to the Islanders

Can't really say that's a surprise. Aside from the Nolan connection, there's really no reason for him to be going back there. Apparently the rift in the locker room betwen him and Yashin was a mile wide, and since they've doomed themselves to 5 more years with that lazy a-hole....

dem

Holy crap... i knew he was Rod "the bod"... but jesus.. i had no idea. He is like the friggin hulk.

brindamour_scj06_01_194x275.jpg

calder

IN the distant past I used to say bad things about Sports Illustrated's hockey coverage in general and Michael Farber in particular. I apologize!

sorrymichael.JPG

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter Mr. Farber sir!

Also, I just remembered that I have to buy tickets for PotC tomorrow, that shit's going to be sold out again!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ottawa, 6 July 2006

LeafsTV - Licence amendment

1. The Commission approves the application by Toronto Maple Leafs Network Ltd. to amend the broadcasting licence for the regional Category 2 specialty programming undertaking known as LeafsTV, in order to allow the programming now provided by LeafsTV in a standard definition (SD) digital format to also be available for distribution in a high definition (HD) version. The programming will be the same as that offered on the existing SD version of the service.

and with that...

i just signed up to leafs tv <3

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Damn it now I have to sign up for Leafs TV, it won't be long til all Leafs games except HNIC games are on Leafs TV. I guess I might as well sign up for Raps TV as well, not too long til they get all the Raptors games.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
R_GILL said:
Damn it now I have to sign up for Leafs TV, it won't be long til all Leafs games except HNIC games are on Leafs TV. I guess I might as well sign up for Raps TV as well, not too long til they get all the Raptors games.

i only signed up to leafs tv, but for some odd reason i'm getting raptors tv and raptors hdtv for free - maybe you get both (leafs/raptors) when you sign up

but supposedly - raptors hdtv has yet to show a raptors game in HD yet

oh and this is just a license amendment - they might not have HD broadcast for 2 years or something...

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Shanahan a Ranger

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/bway_brendan_rangers_larry_brooks.htm

The Post has learned the 37-year-old free-agent left winger has accepted a one-year contract worth approximately $4M to join the Rangers after spurning more lucrative offers from both the Red Wings and Canadiens.

The signing, expected to be announced today, comes one day after Shanahan informed Montreal GM Bob Gainey he was rejecting his team's bid to sign him.

VALIS

I was just gonna post that about Shanahan. Good signing for NY, we could use the 2nd line depth. Hopefully they add one more decent north/south type forward.

Shanahan didn't like playing for Babcock cause he was always riding him to do things like...actually skate.

Holland really is an awful GM...chasing after Shanny all this time and missing out on decent FAs.

sefskillz said:
i heard the wings were trying to get shanahan to play goal
Nah, they're gonna sign crazy eddie for 500k and a fifth of jack.

Granted, the contract does have a bonus clause for ONE BILLION DOLLARS if he wins the cup.

just trade for biron already... :/

Sandman42

rusty said:
Nah, they're gonna sign crazy eddie for 500k and a fifth of jack.

Granted, the contract does have a bonus clause for ONE BILLION DOLLARS if he wins the cup.

just trade for biron already... :/
Watch out for those bonus contracts. All bonuses count against the cap until the unachieved ones are subtracted at the end of the year.

If Eddie has a contract like this:
500k base salary
1 million if he wins 30 games
1 million if he gets 5 shutouts
1 million if he has less than 3.00 GAA at the end of the year.

Then the cap hit would be 3.5 million

Sandman42 said:
Watch out for those bonus contracts. All bonuses count against the cap until the unachieved ones are subtracted at the end of the year.

500k base salary

We learned this here in Toronto from the cunning GM skills of JFJ when he signed Jason Allison.

Reilly

Sandman42 said:

500k base salary

I doubt Eddie is in any position to ask for bonuses. He'll get a flat salary or be forced to retire because no one else would want him. Same with Hasek.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
this red wings team is falling apart at the seams. lidstrom is gonna regret restructuring his deal :lol

I don't even know who to go after anymore. Eddie Belfour ain't bad but I remember when we went afte rhim back about five or six years ago, too, and it didn't work out. Why can't we get a quality younger goalie? It's not like we don't have talent and prospects to trade.

whytemyke said:
I don't even know who to go after anymore. Eddie Belfour ain't bad but I remember when we went afte rhim back about five or six years ago, too, and it didn't work out. Why can't we get a quality younger goalie? It's not like we don't have talent and prospects to trade.
Wings would probably rather sign a 1-year fix than trade for a long term solution seeing as they will probably have Howard contend for the starting position in 07-08...hence all the Belfour talk.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Hmm Havlat dealt, I dont know if I like the return although we do have more cap space now.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think Muckler may be trying to get Peca, he had him in Buffalo so they know each other pretty well and with this move he has the cap space to do so. And Preissing is a very good player, a lot of Sharks fans are high on him, Hennesy can be good too I guess and Barinka has top 4 potential, I guess it just depends on how these guys develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom