• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gainey signs Aebischer, Samsonov, trades Zednik and get Johnson from Pheonix.

In other news, my Canucks still lack a first and second line right winger.

hmm!

Habs sign Sergei Samsonov
Habs trade a 4th round pick to Coyotes for Mike Johnson
Habs resign Aesbicher
Habs trade Zednik to Capitals for 3rd round pick

EDIT: curses, beaten by mere moments

Why is Zednik going back to the caps?!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
To play with this man, of course:

ovechkin_training.jpg

Oilers should target Gomez from New Jersey. They have the cap space to sign him, the Devils definitely do not.

While I like Samsonov, the fact that he doesn't shoot much and is kind of a small guy was always a bit of a knock on him. We basically already have a younger, bigger version of him in Ales Hemsky.

We need another guy who likes to shoot the puck rather than pass ... Gomez, a 30+ goal scoring center would fit that bill.

dem

soundwave05 said:
We need another guy who likes to shoot the puck rather than pass ... Gomez, a 30+ goal scoring center would fit that bill.

Gomez is so the opposite of what you say we need. This year was a fluke for him to score 30.

dem said:
Gomez is so the opposite of what you say we need. This year was a fluke for him to score 30.

I dunno if I agree with that.

Smyth-Gomez-Hemsky

Pisani-Horcoff-Lupul

Moreau-Stoll-Torres

Schremp-Reasoner-Winchester

Is a very, very good and very deep line of forwards and is also quite young. The Oilers have the cap space and the draft picks/prospects to make a strong pitch to New Jersey with. Lowe has to make some moves, but he's generally pretty patient (took a while to get a goalie, but we ended up with Roloson and that got us to the Finals).

Wow, Samsonov is exactly the kind of player Montreal does not need.

I wonder when Montreal management is going to remember how they won all of their cups.

soundwave05 said:
Oilers should target Gomez from New Jersey. They have the cap space to sign him, the Devils definitely do not.

While I like Samsonov, the fact that he doesn't shoot much and is kind of a small guy was always a bit of a knock on him. We basically already have a younger, bigger version of him in Ales Hemsky.

First of all, I think Gomez has always been more of a passer first and a shooter second; that only began to change this season, so I don't know if that is a long term thing. Secondly, Lou Lamoriello will call in the Mafia to keep Gomez if he has to. But, I guess stranger things have happened.

Alucard said:
Do tell, oh wise one. :)
I just don't get Montreal going after soft European players as their key scoring threats year after year.

Someone like Kovalev, sure, he's money come playoffs. Koivu's done well too.

But look at every team that's made the Finals in the past decade. They didn't use players like Samsonov or Zednik or whoever. Edmonton got there with the Pisani's, Pronger's, and Roloson's.

I dunno, I hate to sound like Don Cherry because I don't think the way he does, but Montreal refuses to change their formula that just doesn't work for them, and it baffles me sometimes.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
I'm sad to see Zednik go, so many great memories from that guy, he had the speed, he could pull the moves, and he could put it top corner. Wether he still can, who knows...but he was something to watch.

So long Zeds
zednik.jpg

Mike Works said:
Wow, Samsonov is exactly the kind of player Montreal does not need.

I wonder when Montreal management is going to remember how they won all of their cups.

would you not classify Samsonov as a play maker? I think that's exactly what Montreal needs. They had no creativity in the offensive zone all year, Kovalev was the only exception. Ryder, Higgins, Plekanec, Bulis ect. ect.., all score goals, they just need someone to set them up.

Providing Samsonov is actually healthy I like this move.

Reilly

Mike Works said:
I just don't get Montreal going after soft European players as their key scoring threats year after year.

They have nothing but soft players on their team European, Canadian, American, whatever. The only player who is physical is Komisarek and that isn't saying much.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Reilly said:
They have nothing but soft players on their team European, Canadian, American, whatever. The only player who is physical is Komisarek and that isn't saying much.

Montreal was one of the toughest teams to play going down the stretch last seas, they were taking heads at the drop of a hat. Many coaches maid those comments in post game interviews.

If you take them apart, I agree, not many physical players at all, but as a group they weren't talking shit from anyone.

Alucard said:
Actually, the Sens don't look as scary without Chara and Havlat. They'll probably still finish 1st though.

nah, the sens reign is over, a new team will be king of the east next year.

Malakhov

Banned
Alucard said:
Samsonov and Kovalev on the same line could potentially be pretty awesome. Too bad you'll have to keep on dreaming, eh? :p
Oh really?

**** YEAH BABY

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOO

Malakhov

Banned
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Murray

Goddamn Sammy and Kovalev together will be quite something to watch, speed, speed, speed, this is what the new NHL is all about.

And you know what? I've got season tickets to boot! WOOO WOOO

Malakhov

Banned
Alright just checked the season schedule, I'll have a few games I'll sell tickets so if any Habs fans wants some here, just ask me.

Malakhov

Banned
Coyotes fans on the HF Boards are pissed that Phoenix traded Mike Johnson away, I don't know him a whole lot but looking at his stats and the comments about it, it looks like he will be a great addition to our lineup.

Malakhov said:
Coyotes fans on the HF Boards are pissed that Phoenix traded Mike Johnson away, I don't know him a whole lot but looking at his stats and the comments about it, it looks like he will be a great addition to our lineup.

He is soft. He stinks.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Samsonov signed for 2 years 3.5 mil, that ain't too bad. So who is left in terms of forwards: Peca and Carter, one would think one of them would end up in Toronto with our lack of offense.

Malakhov

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
He is soft. He stinks.
He's not physical but he isn't soft either.

In other news, Team 990 reported that Sheldon Souray has asked to be traded and Bob gainey responded with an ok.

He told Souray to "sit back, it will be done".

So Souray will be heading to a Californian team soon, can't wait to see the return and all I can say is...

YES FINALLY!

Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out Souray.

Solo

Personally, I like this news, and am just glad Gainey finally got off his ass and did something.

I love Zednik, and will be sad to see him go, but honestly, he hasnt been the same player since the brutal hit against the Bruins in the playoffs. Total under-performer now. Samsonov is a playmaker who can also score. So we basically got rid of a scorer who isnt scoring and replaced him with a playmaker with decent scoring potential. Sounds fine to me. The only downside is that, once again, its as if we're going out of our way to pick up all the runts in the league. If you ask me, a lack of size, not talent or goaltending, is our weakness, and has been the better part of a decade now.

Malakhov

Banned
On our top two lines there's 3 small players, and one of them plays like he's twice his size. I don't see a problem.

The only problem as far as size is concerned, is Ribeiro. But I can't wait to see him play with Kovalev and Samsonov, this line will be so fast it's not even funny.

Mike Works said:
But look at every team that's made the Finals in the past decade. They didn't use players like Samsonov or Zednik or whoever. Edmonton got there with the Pisani's, Pronger's, and Roloson's.

The awesome explosivness and creativity by Samsonov in one game, followed by 2 games of "was he even dressed?" really bugged me about Sammy.

If he can maintain at least some kind of consistancy, he would be one of the games best wingers.

Malakhov

Banned
Manics said:
You don't see a problem because you have Hab blinders on.
No I don't because it's not a problem.

Samsonov, Ribeiro, Plekanec and Koivu are the only small players up front and Koivu plays twice his size and has no problem playing against bigger players.

I saw no size problem last season, we were the only ones who skated with the Carolina Hurricanes in the playoffs besides the oilers and we have a ton of speed to boot.

Malakhov

Banned
Reilly said:
God this is probably the worst post in the history of NHL threads on GAF. Talk about lack of Knowledge.

Souray
Komisarek
Rivet
Murray
Higgins
Downey
Begin

Yeah, they're not physical :lol

Malakhov

Banned
Mike Works said:
We do,

Ryder
Higgins
Chipchura
Latendresse
D'agostini
White

Sincerely, the Montreal Canadiens scouting staff.

Malakhov

Banned
Erik Johnson will attend Minnesota this fall, that's awesome, David Fischer will play with him, this can only help his development.

5074_3.jpg

Manics

Banned
Malakhov said:
No I don't because it's not a problem.

and Koivu plays twice his size and has no problem playing against bigger players.

I'm pretty sure an 11 foot freak of nature hockey player would have all sorts of issues playing in the NHL.

calder

I randomly watched a hockey tape yesterday out of boredom and it was the gold medal WJC game.
Never have I been more pleasantly surprised at the way a hockey game went. :lol

Stupid hockeycanada image site doesn't work anymore, wish I had saved all these pics!
RUS_v_CAN_02.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i was watching a blackhawk vs leafs playoff game from the mid 80s yesterday and every time a chicago player got the puck and the camera zoomed in on him i kept thinking i was watching a recent hockey game... they really should think about changing their jerseys

DopeyFish said:
i was watching a blackhawk vs leafs playoff game from the mid 80s yesterday and every time a chicago player got the puck and the camera zoomed in on him i kept thinking i was watching a recent hockey game... they really should think about changing their jerseys
are you EVER right about ANYTHING?

Manics

Banned
Sandman42 said:
Eklund is reporting carter to Leafs. But yeah, thats Eklund. Everything that comes from him is either way off or right on.

Eklund needs the big Zidane headbutt right to the sternum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom