• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
R_GILL said:
Havlat has apparently signed with the Hawks, 3 yars 18 million.

Wow what a huge ass overpayment.

Seriously, Havlat is an awesome player, definitely one of my favs during his time here in Ottawa and will probably still be with the Hawks, but I don't think he deserves that much money yet.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Now that reference has been removed from the article, still on the salary page though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=3964&hubname=

Yep its been confirmed:
Havlat, a restricted free agent who has been insisting on signing a one-year deal so he can test the unrestricted free agent market next summer, also signed a three-year deal with the Blackhawks worth $18 million US.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=nhl

I like Havlat and all but come on, no way is he worth that much. That probably screws Bobby Clark over though in re-signing Gagne, so that atleast makes me happy.

Sandman42 said:
They probably need to reach the cap minimum :lol

Well, they do have some big tickets already though: Khabibulin, Lapointe, and Cullimore probably make big chunks of change (regardless of quality.) The team problem is they have a boatload of young guys to grow around them, and the nonsensical ownership to keep achievers from sticking around very long.

Rodriguez

Doug Wilson comes through again. Bell should fit in beautifully on the left of Thornton and Cheechoo. I guess this move makes Nils Ekman expendable. I loved what he did the past 2 regular seasons (the first more than the second, given that he was playing alongside the ultimate combo for most of last year), but the guy got pushed around during the playoffs. It's a shame to lose Preissing, though. There must be another offensive defenseman on the way.....please?

Malakhov

Banned
Awesome, the Habs have signed Grabovsky, Aubin and D'Agostini. Three prospects I'm really high on.

Aubin, 19, completed the 2005-06 season with 103 points (47 goals, 56 assists) and 63 penalty minutes in 70 games with the Lewiston MAINEiacs, of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

D'Agostini, 19, completed the 2005-06 season with 79 points (25 goals, 54 assists) and 81 penalty minutes in 66 games with the Guelph Storm of the Ontario Hockey League. In two complete seasons in the OHL, he scored 125 points, including 49 goals, and 110 penalty minutes in 125 games.

Grabovski, 22, completed the 2005-06 season with 28 points (10 goals, 18 assists) and 28 penalty minutes in 48 games with Moscow Dynamo of the Russian Elite League. The previous season, he collected 36 points, including 16 goals, in 60 games with the Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik of the Russian League. A native of Potsdam, East Germany, Grabovski was the Canadiens' fourth pick (fifth round), 150th overall, in 2004.

Canucks sign Chouinard to a two year, 1 million per contract.

3rd line center... ? He's apparently good at faceoffs which is definitly something this team needs... unless we're shipping off Morrison though (please please please), he doesn't get much farther than third.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
TemplaerDude said:
Canucks sign Chouinard to a two year, 1 million per contract.

3rd line center... ? He's apparently good at faceoffs which is definitly something this team needs... unless we're shipping off Morrison though (please please please), he doesn't get much farther than third.

I really doubt Morrison is getting traded. His contract at 3.2 mil a year is almost a bargain nowadays. Plus he's actually going to be healthy this year so his production should go up.

There's just no way Morrison is going to be our number one center going into next season.

He's a number two center and a damn good one at that but he does not belong on the first line.

Here we go, the TSN analysis of Chouinard:

Assets: Has great size and reach. Is good on face-offs and does the little things in order to survive the NHL game. Can play both center or right wing.

Flaws: Has skating issues. Was supposed to put up much bigger offensive numbers in the pros but has been a major flop in terms of production.

Career potential: Checking line center.

Most interesting...if his production goes up then this could be another Anson Carter scenario.

So he had the potential. Maybe being stuck in the Wild system stagnated that. Stick him with the right people on this team and he might do better than we expect.

dem

The TEAM 1040 is reporting that the Minnesota Wild have signed Anson Carter to contract worth around 2 million something but nothing is official yet and not all the details are available.

crapp.. scratch that... apparently its fake

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs are apparently interested in Brian Leetch (again) - Rangers though are the favorite.

Belfour to detroit is supposedly done

Malakhov

Banned
Look at the bottom of the screen :lol

0607roster3db.jpg

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Why isn't domi signed yet anyways? I guess the delay is due to him taking his time to compare all the contract offers he's gotten...you know, its tough being a superstar...

....:lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
:lol :lol @ that Habs pic...

dem said:
The TEAM 1040 is reporting that the Minnesota Wild have signed Anson Carter to contract worth around 2 million something but nothing is official yet and not all the details are available.

crapp.. scratch that... apparently its fake
Ya think? Wasn't it you or one of your fellow Mensa candidates bleating about how he couldn't sign for less than 3 million since "that's what Willie Mitchell got"? Why would he sign for 2 million with the most offensively throttled team in the league if this big payout is what he's looking for? :p

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
Why isn't domi signed yet anyways? I guess the delay is due to him taking his time to compare all the contract offers he's gotten...you know, its tough being a superstar...

....:lol

Domi's got so many superstar friends around the league that it's difficult for him to decide which offer to take.

FightyF

Banned
Belfour...I don't know what to think. He used to be one of the best goalies in the league IMO, but this last season was horrible. *shrugs* I just don't know!

Fight for Freeform said:
Belfour...I don't know what to think. He used to be one of the best goalies in the league IMO, but this last season was horrible. *shrugs* I just don't know!

You know this might sound weird but I think this guy always tears it up when he goes to a new team (including his back)

I think he'll do the same wherever he signs...

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
ForzaItalia said:
You know this might sound weird but I think this guy always tears it up when he goes to a new team (including his back)

I think he'll do the same wherever he signs...

That is true, whenever he goes to a new team after a lackluster year he always tears it up and proves his critics wrong, but after 2 back surgeries, maybe his age will finally have caught up with him.

calder

I'm surprised anyone could be surprised about Sutter. It's been known for over 2 years that he was going to step down as head coach, and most ppl (excepting Eric Francis lol) thought it was likely to happen this summer. Playfair was always the heir apparent.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bishoptl said:
Woo, I just can't wait for 189234872 more games against division opponents.

the next time the canucks/oilers/flames will be playing the leafs/canadiens/senators in the regular season will be early 2009 if they keep using these retarded schedules.

Alucard

Banned
The Pens' first 5 games of the season...

Thu., Oct. 5 PHILADELPHIA 7:30 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 7 DETROIT 7:30 p.m.
Thu., Oct. 12 @ NY Rangers 7:00 p.m.
Sat., Oct. 14 CAROLINA 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Oct. 18 NEW JERSEY 7:30 p.m.

****ing OUCH. Please stop the pain this season. Please oh please let the hurting stop and give me something positive to go on. :(

pops619

Pens will start 5-0. Hey, they play them for a reason. I'm not going to concede anything. Of those teams, really only Carolina and New York look any better than they did last year so far. At the very least, the Penguins should improve on last year's 0-4-5 start.

In any event, I'll definitely be there on October 5th for Evgeni Malkin's NHL debut. Less than three months!

Alucard

Banned
I still haven't seen anything saying that Malkin's actually been signed on the official site. It kind of worries me, but I'm sure a deal will get done before the start of the new season.

A 5-0 start against these teams would be amazing. We'll see what happens. I have faith in Sid and feel he'll make an even bigger impact this season. I'm just wondering who else is going to play wing with him on the first line. Armstrong and...?

pops619

Malkin hasn't been signed because the Russian agreement hasn't been officially ratified. Supposedly, his team in Russia is tying things up because they don't want him to leave for what the transfer fee will be. But there's little chance of him being stuck in Russia. The Russian federation has already agreed to participate in the transfer agreement. Russia's own president is the guy who pushed for it to get done. Somehow, I don't think one team's wishes is going to override the president's. Besides all that, reportedly Russian labor laws can't stop Malkin from just leaving. Since he fully intends to be in the NHL this year, I can't see how he wouldn't be.

Your guess is as good as mine as far as Crosby's other linemate. It seems like Recchi could be back after all, in which case, he'll probably be on Crosby's LW. Otherwise, there are still guys left on the free agent market, trade possibilities, and at worst someone like Christensen could come up from the minors and get a chance. And then there's the very slim chance that Jordan Staal makes the team out of training camp.

Whatever the case, 2006-2007 Pittsburgh Penguins, most improved team in the NHL.

pops619 said:
Whatever the case, 2006-2007 Pittsburgh Penguins, most improved team in the NHL.
Oh, they got some defense in the off season when I wasn't looking, did they?

Minnesota will be the most improved because, A) they've improved their roster offensively in the off season while giving little up from their old roster and, B) their division rivals have either stayed the same or gotten potentially worse.

Alucard

Banned
Mike Works said:
Oh, they got some defense in the off season when I wasn't looking, did they?

Minnesota will be the most improved because, A) they've improved their roster offensively in the off season while giving little up from their old roster and, B) their division rivals have either stayed the same or gotten potentially worse.

As the season wound down last year our defense actually wasn't THAT bad. Gonchar was actually around a +5 after the Olympic break. I'm more than confident in our D core for this season...

Gonchar - Whitney
Eaton - Welch
Orpik - Cairns/Melichar/Odelein/Scuderi

Cairns was solid last year, Welch was awesome in the 5 games he did play, and the addition of Eaton will hopefully work out too. Leading shotblocker on Nashville and apparently just a really hard-working defensive dman, which is totally what we need.

pops619

Odelein's gone. Cairns is a seventh defenseman at best. The Pens' defense by the end of last season was more inexperienced than anything. Whitney and Orpik have a lot of potential. Welch does too. Eaton was a solid signing. Gonchar was much improved by the end of the year. And in goal, Fleury hopefully will take the next step up. Don't get me wrong, the defense is still the biggest problem on the team, but it's improving. Hopefully, the team will grow into their system more, improve the penalty killing, and play better overall team defense. They really were a huge mess last year. They weren't a 58 point team on paper. They're going to be better than expected, especially if they can bring in a Sykora or Carter to play on one of the top two lines.

Watch out for Crosby and Malkin. They're going to going down in history.

The problem I have with people predicting the Penguins are going to be such a better team this year is that every person- literally EVERY person I've heard say this immediately lists Malkin and then other secondary scoring threats as the reason why.

Offense was not Pittsburgh's problem at all.

Andre-Fleury has the potential to be an amazing goalie, but even Patrick Roy would've floundered at this young an age with THOSE players in front of him. Eaton is a good pick up, but I don't know, to think they're suddenly going to go from worst or second worst in the conference to most improved in the league is a long shot from where I'm sitting.

There's potential, but I don't know how realistic.

Wow. Apparently Jiri Fischer is trying to get clearance to play, understanding that he would obviously have to sign a waiver.

Everyone says he should just forget about it and live his life...but I can see why he wouldn't want to give up on his life's dream. I don't know if management would go for it though...but it sure would be nice to knock Lilja off the 1st pairing down to the 3rd :lol

Alucard

Banned
My main worry is that we have to play the Rangers, Devils, and Flyers 8 times each throughout the year. We also play the Islanders 8 times, which sounds a little easier, but those 3 big teams have consistently held the advantage over the Pens.

The D totally needs to step it up. I'm hoping for big things from Eaton and Welch. Ruutu was a pretty decent pickup too. Him on a third line with Leclair and one of the youngin's may be a good thing.

I'm optimistic, but also realistic...none of our wing players, outside of Armstrong, has shown that they can play consistently in the NHL. Ouellet started out as a monster rookie in his first dozen games or so, but totally disappeared by the end of the season. Malone did just enough at the end of the season to keep a roster spot, but he's another guy that needs to be more consistent...still think he's a little slow and lazy in his own end. I like Christensen, but not as a winger. Make him a 3rd line center, maybe with Leclair and Ruutu on the wings. We'll see how things look at the start of the season.

Also, Thibault is still listed as the second-string goalie on the official site. Gimme Caron please!

pops619

Well, like I said, it wasn't necessarily so much the Pens' defensemen as it was the overall team defense. They played with no system for half a season and were conditioned terribly. Then they played the second half trying to implement a system while most of the roster was made up mostly of very inexperienced players and scrubs.

Just having Therrien running the training camp will do a lot, as they have a lot of time to work on a system of play they're already somewhat familiar with, and they sure as hell won't go into the season in anything less than tip-top game shape.

I agree with you that the offense wasn't and won't be a problem. Malkin will just make an area that was sort of a strength by the end of the year to one that will be a definite strength. Any other improvements the Pens have will be because Shero has constructed a real checking line and brought in forwards who can help the defensemen out. It will be because he's brought in guys who can actually kill penalties to improve a terrible PK (Malkin and Eaton already are a big upgrade here). It will be because guys like Orpik, Whitney, and Fleury improve and come closer to reaching their potential.

The Pens haven't been all that active in free agency, but I suspect when they're done, the team will look a lot more solid than it has in a while. They've got a foundation of young players that can be very good if they reach their potential.

Kingpen

I agree with all that was said about the pens, and it make me happy to hear others talking about them. I am optimistic as ever about them and hope for the best....

I do think they need to sign one more player from free agency though. Their lineup is pretty thin right now. Carter, Sykora or Bulis would be nice fits, but I don't know if they will pony up the money for their asking prices....

I'm not going to proclaim any predictions about them this year though as I stuck my foot in my mouth last year. Only thing I predict is that they will be better then a 58 point team this year since they actually have a coach instead of a meatball sandwich behind the bench.

I'm sure going to have fun on NHL2k7 / NHL2007 with the youngsters though

Jordan Staal has the best chance out of the top 5 drafted this year to crack the league this year because of his size as well... But I don't know if it will happen as that is expecting a lot.

LETS GO PENS!

Kingpen

Alucard said:
My main worry is that we have to play the Rangers, Devils, and Flyers 8 times each throughout the year. We also play the Islanders 8 times, which sounds a little easier, but those 3 big teams have consistently held the advantage over the Pens.

The D totally needs to step it up. I'm hoping for big things from Eaton and Welch. Ruutu was a pretty decent pickup too. Him on a third line with Leclair and one of the youngin's may be a good thing.

I'm optimistic, but also realistic...none of our wing players, outside of Armstrong, has shown that they can play consistently in the NHL. Ouellet started out as a monster rookie in his first dozen games or so, but totally disappeared by the end of the season. Malone did just enough at the end of the season to keep a roster spot, but he's another guy that needs to be more consistent...still think he's a little slow and lazy in his own end. I like Christensen, but not as a winger. Make him a 3rd line center, maybe with Leclair and Ruutu on the wings. We'll see how things look at the start of the season.

Also, Thibault is still listed as the second-string goalie on the official site. Gimme Caron please!

They bought Caron out of his contract. Same with that lurch Shane Endicott. They are no longer with the team. Same as Konstantin Kolsov and Andy Hilbert (I'm pissed about them not resigning him). We are stuck with T-Bound for this season unless Shero can unload him.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I don't think most Pens fans are terribly happy about letting Hilbert go. He seemed to be clicking with Crosby and Armstrong once they were put on a line together.

Goodbye to Caron I suppose. :( He'll be missed by me. Certainly won't miss Endicott though.

aceface

the next time the canucks/oilers/flames will be playing the leafs/canadiens/senators in the regular season will be early 2009 if they keep using these retarded schedules.

What? They're playing this year. I don't mind the schedules so much, playing just a few western conference teams makes it seem cooler, like interleauge play in baseball or something. I do agree that division opponents are played way too much though, something they could remedy by knocking 10 games off the schedule! (note: will never happen)

pops619

Letting Hilbert go was surprising and a little disappointing, but I'm confident that whoever they bring in to replace him will be better. He's a pretty smart player, but there's no doubt most of what he did was a result of playing with Crosby. He's replaceable, at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom