• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA-X

Ok everybody who is in the league just post whatever times you can make a draft this weekend and we'll pick the time of least conflict. If one or two people can't make it then they'll just have to make good preranks I guess.

I'm free anytime on either Saturday or Sunday.

dem

im not going to stay home late friday or saturday night to fantasy draft..

Just leave it where it is. We're not going to get 14 people on the same schedule.

dem

Mike Works said:
i'm available when dem isn't

Are you even in the league?
headscratch.gif

Reilly

According to an NHL executive, Islanders owner Charles Wang and DiPietro are on the verge of announcing they have reached agreement on a 15-year contract worth $67.5 million. The deal is believed to be the longest in NHL history and second in the history of major North American professional sports behind the 25-year deal worth $25 million that Magic Johnson signed with the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers in 1981.

:lol

dem

Reilly said:
According to an NHL executive, Islanders owner Charles Wang and DiPietro are on the verge of announcing they have reached agreement on a 15-year contract worth $67.5 million. The deal is believed to be the longest in NHL history and second in the history of major North American professional sports behind the 25-year deal worth $25 million that Magic Johnson signed with the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers in 1981.

:lol

At first i thought this was a joke.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

calder

Reilly said:
hans-is-stunned.jpg

scissorfight said:
WTF is with the Islanders and ridiculously long contracts? :lol

Dipietro gets 4.5m/season essentially until he's 40 years old. :lol It's a nobrainer contract for the guy to sign, he's now untradeable (essentially) and is making big money without any results to show for it. I want to pity Isle fans. You'd think the fishstick uniform, Yashin contract, and scars of Milbury would be enough.

dem

Hmmm... legal curves on sticks are going from 1/2" to 3/4"

Im not sure it will make much of a difference. Anyone who wants an illegal curve is playing with one anyway.

VALIS

FIFTEEN.

YEARS.

Aha. Ahahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Holy everloving crap! As a Ranger fan, the recent screwups of the Islanders have provided me many a hardy laugh. From the bottom of my heart, thank you Charles Wang, Garth Snow, Mad Mike, all you crazy fellers. Love ya!

Manics said:
Islanders owner Charles Wang and new general manager Garth Snow, DiPietro's backup last season, were both involved in the negotiations.

DiPietro: So what offer do you guys have on the table?

Wang: Well I think we've got something you will be very interested in. Garth?

Snow: Yes?

Wang: Get me some coffee.

edit:

New York Newsday reports DiPietro is guaranteed the full $67.5 million if he suffers a career-ending injury
Jesus Christ

Manics

Banned
Mike Works said:

Hey he knew about it. Garth could have protested and quit his job if he disagreed with the deal. :)

calder

I feel kinda bad about this because the Lake Winnipeg Islanders will enter the 2018-2019 season with a 37 year old starting goalie and 3 years left on his contract. :(

dem

holy shit... an offer sheet!!

Sources tell TSN that the Philadelphia Flyers have signed Vancouver Canucks restricted free agent forward Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet. The deal would be worth $1.9 million for one season.

I was just looking at Ryan Kesler's stats, and it shows that he got 23 points in 82 games last season.

Isn't $1.9 million for that a little too steep? Or does this guy have signs of breaking out and scoring 25 this season?

SA-X

Since BigJonsson said he actually can't make a 10pm draft either, I changed the draft time back to 8pm eastern to be easier for us east coasters. For some reason Yahoo won't let me change the draft to Sunday, so if you can't stay sober until 8:45 (or however long it takes us) you'll just have to autodraft. :p

And wtf @ the Islanders. :lol ...do all the most incompetent owners have to be in the best markets?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The Internet said:
I was just looking at Ryan Kesler's stats, and it shows that he got 23 points in 82 games last season.

Isn't $1.9 million for that a little too steep? Or does this guy have signs of breaking out and scoring 25 this season?

He has a lot of speed but from the looks of last season, he can't finish at all. Maybe he'll have a breakout year, who knows.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gagne re-signed with the Flyers yesterday.

I'm glad the Flyers made the offer sheet to Kesler and convined Nonis to get off the schneid, Kesler's going to be a good player and this messing about doesn't help him or the team. Kinda reminds me of the Leafs signing Mattias Ohlund to an offer sheet when he had tough negotiations with the Canucks - the only time in my life I've been thankful to Toronto for anything. :lol

Mike Works said:

:lol :lol

Shinobi

I thought I dreamt this when I heard about this late last night or early this morning. Charles Wang might well be the single biggest clown in North American sports...and with the intense competition for that crown, that takes some doing. Stupid ****.

Manics

Banned
Ah, Wang. Leaf fans like myself are so familiar with the likes of you. You sir are just like the late, demented Harold Ballard with one big exception. Harold was a tight wad and would never part with his money, you throw it around like it's going out of style. End result, you both run your respective hockey teams into the ground where it takes them an entire era to recover from.

Well done sir, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom