• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

yoopoo

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Man, you're a part of the industry! Without the Wii where would the massive profits be? This industry is expanding at a huge rate predominantly because of the Wii and DS. Without those two booms this industry would be languishing right now.

One or the other might have picked up in sales, but without those two platforms the industry would be looking a lot smaller right now then it is.
Well not really, he's a community manager.

Andrex said:
Now it is. My point was that it was not even a blip on the radar for anyone other than non-Nintendo fans until E3 2006; you can't really say this gen was over right when it was announced.
When it was unveiled, as in the controller and all. IIRC when it was announced, nothing was shown. Yes announced/unveiled same shit, but it makes a huge difference in this case.

Zerachiel

Haunted said:
Ha!

If even one person checks out Monster Lab because I spammed its message of love and peace and front-Mission-esque turn based battles in this here NPD thread, my work is done. Seriously though, it's a pretty good game.

Kinda like Lock's Quest. Quirky title, hybrid genre, no hype, small budget, but polished! - enjoyable all around. Won't set the charts on fire, can't be used in list wars, but comes recommended by fellow gaming enthusiasts.

GAF is all about the hype now. But with Far Cry 2, Dead Space and Fallout 3 all hitting and kicking fucking ass (you've seen me in those threads, right?) during this crazy month, who can blame people. :p

Wiki says something about a DS version, but I can't seem to find anything about it. Hoax or what?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Thunder Monkey said:
Without the Wii where would the massive profits be? This industry is expanding at a huge rate predominantly because of the Wii and DS. Without those two booms this industry would be languishing right now.

One or the other might have picked up in sales, but without those two platforms the industry would be looking a lot smaller right now then it is.

True, without the Wii, Nintendo would not have those massive profits.

But are you saying that third parties like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. are sharing in Nintendo's phenomenal success? I hope not.

Or that Sony or MS are enjoying some sort of side benefit from the awesome sales of the Wii?

The truth is nobody knows where the industry would be in holiday 2008 if Nintendo became a third-party publisher. It's useless to bring this fantasy scenario up as ammunition to a console war.

Amir0x

Banned
I think in terms of platformers, Super Mario Galaxy did as much as is possible to 'revolutionize' the genre as I can imagine. What else could they do without just making it a different genre?

It was an incredibly inventive way of segmenting levels where each planetoid became a unique platforming experience, driving an unparalleled level of variety and challenges. Some planets alone have more brilliance than entire levels of other games. Add to that the varying gravity factor, and the obscenely creative 2D gravity segments... and you have one of the most innovative games in its genre ever.

The only true flaw I see was that they mirrored one of the galaxies at one point, which was kiiiinda lazy.

legend166

...guys?

...de Blob? Anyone know how it did? Hopefully decently since it's Australian and from all accounts really good (I swear I'll buy it on Tuesday).

donny2112

doicare said:
As far as i can see that just supports what i said. Guitar hero 4 software only is counted as one thing, guitar hero 4 with guitar is a second seperate number and guitar hero 4 the band bundle is a third seperate total.

I'm almost 100% certain the "but not those bundled with hardware" part refers strictly to games bundled with system hardware. NPD has never included those numbers in the software listings, to my knowledge.

legend166

chespace said:

But are you saying that third parties like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. are sharing in Nintendo's phenomenal success? I hope not.

Or that Sony or MS are enjoying some sort of side benefit from the awesome sales are the Wii?

The truth is nobody knows where the industry would be in holiday 2008 if Nintendo became a third-party publisher. It's useless to bring this fantasy scenario up as ammunition to a console war.

The fact is that profits aren't being driven by big budget HD games, so I think we can know where it would be.

Amir0x said:
I think in terms of platformers, Super Mario Galaxy did as much as is possible to 'revolutionize' the genre as I can imagine. What else could they do without just making it a different genre?

I see what you mean however let me ask you this.

Would you have said the same about the platformer genre before Galaxy's release? I.E. "There isn't much more you can do besides simple gimmicks"?

Haunted

legend166 said:
...guys?

...de Blob? Anyone know how it did? Hopefully decently since it's Australian and from all accounts really good (I swear I'll buy it on Tuesday).
Man, you better. One of the few Wii games on my Top 10 of 2008 list.

Zerachiel said:
Wiki says something about a DS version, but I can't seem to find anything about it. Hoax or what?
I've seen it up on amazon, but pretty much nowhere else.

No reviews, previews are months old... It's a phantom, but apparently it's out there. I can only vouch for the Wii game, anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
chespace said:
You have a pretty low standard for what a game needs to revolutionize the industry.

Speaking of low standards...
ZAqoovR.png

chespace said:

Each having success and then forgetting what got them those successes?

chespace said:
Or that Sony or MS are enjoying some sort of side benefit from the awesome sales are the Wii?

And it's useless to write off those successes just because few but the creators of that success have been able profit off of it. What 3rd party title deserved success that didn't get it?

What title would you expect to have been successful, but wasn't?

Amir0x

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
I see what you mean however let me ask you this.

Would you have said the same about the platformer genre before Galaxy's release? I.E. "There isn't much more you can do besides simple gimmicks"?

I don't mean for my comment to come across as "there's nothing left to do". I mean, without going crazy and making your game an unfocused mess, Super Mario Galaxy truly did innovative as much as possible.

I'm sure there are other ways to make platforming unique - look at LittleBigPlanet - I just mean taking its core concept, it really fucking blew that shit up inside its chosen genre. It was INCREDIBLY fucking innovative. If it doesn't influence the genre and the industry, it damn well should.

Dragona Akehi said:
Games have really changed this generation, I think. There's still no real RPGs for either system I want (the ones released I have NOT enjoyed), and I've never liked FPS/TPS. The only racing game I've ever liked was F-Zero X on N64. There goes a huge chunk out of the PS360 library.

I'm not saying that the 360 or PS3 "sucks" but there aren't many games I want for either system. For god's sake the only game I want in the future right now is Prince of Persia and BG&E2. That's it.

To add to the conundrum, there are so many amazing DS and PSP games that have come out/will be coming out that I'm gaming much more than before.

The fact is, there is no one "console" must have like in the PS2 era, unless you count the DS (which most console-only gamers won't, because they don't play portables).

Fuck consoles seriously. :p

But that's what I don't get.

I own a PSP and a DS, which RARELY get played, as is usually the case with home console players. But again, I've got about 10-12 games for both portables.

A good game is a good game whether you like the platform or not.

chespace

legend166 said:
The fact is that profits aren't being driven by big budget HD games, so I think we can know where it would be.

Tell that to Bungie, Rockstar, Infinity Ward, et al. :lol

This isn't about Mario Kart selling more than the bible.

It's about HD games publishers making shitloads of cash this generation.

schuelma said:
I realize its difficult to get hard European numbers, but in my own little "estimates", PS360 is now less than 1 million ahead of Wii worldwide. :lol :lol :lol

Looks like Wii>PS360 might happen next month.
Yeah!? Well, most ps360 games are for pc too anyway, so the userbase will still be bigger, therefore it's only logical that third parties keep ignoring the Wii.

Eteric Rice

WrikaWrek said:
Baited.

So Prey is now some sort of "new experience" because it did the whole gravity thing unlike other FPS's? Or Timeshift with it's time control stuff?

No, it's still the same game but with a new gimmick, that isn't "new", that doesn't "reset" the genre. Cmon.

LBP planet doesn't "reset" the genre, either. It allows user created content, which many games have before. It just adds some new features to the whole deal.

chespace said:

Yeah that's why Nintendo is posting record profits, while HD focused companies are posting losses. :lol

Amir0x said:
I mean, without going crazy and making your game an unfocused mess, Super Mario Galaxy truly did innovative as much as possible.

Never doubt Nintendo. :p

Amir0x said:
If it doesn't influence the genre and the industry, it damn well should.

I agree. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. I mean I've seen other games in similar positions that haven't (Half-Life 1 *well it did when it came out but its influence has faded away*, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, etc.)

Stumpokapow said:
Speaking of low standards...
ZAqoovR.png

I guess people aren't entitled to their own opinions.

Eteric Rice said:
LBP planet doesn't "reset" the genre, either. It allows user created content, which many games have before. It just adds some new features to the whole deal.

That's true also.

Most games these days are just a new spin on an old idea.

I thought Galaxy was a great game like everyone else, but it doesn't mean it didn't feel like I was really just playing an updated Mario 64 with some gravity puzzles involved.

chespace said:

very definition of...

hooftuig.jpg

How can you be so selective in concluding what is important and what's not? On top of that, what you're saying is downright wrong. Lot's of big companies are reporting great great losses, sadly.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
But that's what I don't get.

I own a PSP and a DS, which RARELY get played, as is usually the case with home console players. But again, I've got about 10-12 games for both portables.

A good game is a good game whether you like the platform or not.

Oh I totally agree about a good game being good regardless of platform. Which is why I'm looking at the PS360 and wondering why it is so barren for me, despite the amount of "well regarded" games. There has just been this HUGE shift to online competitive games, especially being focused on FPS and TPS style games.

chespace

BishopLamont said:
Yeah that's why Nintendo is posting record profits, while HD focused companies are posting losses. :lol

Some companies are posting losses, while others are blowing the fuck up (or rising up to the heavens, whatever). What's your point?

The bitter pill you've got to swallow is that there will never be a Nintendo heyday like the SNES years. Ever.

Both N64 and GC were ultimately disappointing platforms. A handful of good first party titles, but 3rd party was lacking -- especially with GC. Looks like Wii is going down the same disappointing route.

BTW, when I said low standard re: GRAVITY as the defining factor for revolutionizing gaming, I was not commenting on the quality of Mario Galaxy as a game. :lol

Also, you guys should paste the entire review. There are better parts. Moar laughz for bitter boys, etc.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Yes it does.

It effectively revolutionizes the genre by offering something that transcends a mere gimmick.

The level Editor, community aspect, Co Op, co op level editing, that is a reset. It's something that completely escapes the tradition of the genre, and brings a whole new horizon.

See Galaxy is still just a old fashioned platformer. LBP has a different mindset. If you can't see that, you are blind.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I guess people aren't entitled to their own opinions.
Not when it's so wrong. Halo-like success? Comeon.

chespace said:
Some companies are posting losses, while others are blowing the fuck up (or rising up to the heavens, whatever). What's your point?

The bitter pill you've got to swallow is that there will never be a Nintendo heyday like the SNES years. Ever.

Both N64 and GC were ultimately disappointing platforms. A handful of good first party titles, but 3rd party was lacking -- especially with GC. Looks like Wii is going down the same disappointing route.
My point simply is that the companies that put all the eggs in the HD basket are failing left and right, while the ones that spread it out more are profiting. Concerning the quality of the Wii's library, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm happy with it's current library. It can only get better right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Souldriver said:
Yeah!? Well, most ps360 games are for pc too anyway, so the userbase will still be bigger, therefore it's only logical that third parties keep ignoring the Wii.

Wii will pass global PC numbers too! Therefore, no!

Eteric Rice

2 Minutes Turkish said:
That's true also.

Most games these days are just a new spin on an old idea.

I thought Galaxy was a great game like everyone else, but it doesn't mean it didn't feel like I was really just playing an updated Mario 64 with some gravity puzzles involved.

I dunno, Mario Galaxy allows you to platform upside down, sideways, lets you actually orbit a planet.

I mean, I see what you're saying. But I just feel that LBP at it's core isn't really that new either, but I concede that at it's core Galaxy isn't either.

But if we're to talk about completely innovative games, you'd pretty much have to create a new genre. Everything in every current genre has been done to some extent, somewhere.

WrikaWrek said:
Yes it does.

It effectively revolutionizes the genre by offering something that transcends a mere gimmick.

The level Editor, community aspect, Co Op, co op level editing, that is a reset. It's something that completely escapes the tradition of the genre, and brings a whole new horizon.

See Galaxy is still just a old fashioned platformer. LBP has a different mindset. If you can't see that, you are blind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but co-op and level editors have been done before. The only new thing is co-op level creation.

I'm not trying to belittle it, but I'm just saying that not much of that is really new.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
chespace said:
You have a pretty low standard for what a game needs to revolutionize the industry.

Just jumping in, but revolutions are overrated. Solid design and variety are the real important thing.

Dragona Akehi said:
Oh I totally agree about a good game being good regardless of platform. Which is why I'm looking at the PS360 and wondering why it is so barren for me, despite the amount of "well regarded" games. There has just been this HUGE shift to online competitive games, especially being focused on FPS and TPS style games.
Thank you.

That's what I was meaning pages ago.

Those games can be a lot of fun, but not every idea needs to be wrapped around in a shooter shell. (Hello Mass Effect)

Stumpokapow said:
people in glass houses shouldn't get naked in their living rooms.

...umm I always thought that the point of a reviewer was for HIM (or HER) to review of what HE (or SHE) thought of the game not to just write what he thinks others would think of the game.

BishopLamont said:
Not when it's so wrong. Halo-like success? Comeon.

Seems fine by me. But then again I don't enjoy Halo that much.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
chespace said:

In Japan 3rd party development is absolutely improving and is going to be a lot better than GC.

chespace

Eteric Rice said:
But if we're to talk about completely innovative games, you'd pretty much have to create a new genre. Everything in every current genre has been done to some extent, somewhere.

Glad to see you've come to your senses. :lol

Top Bottom