• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Jammy

Banned
chespace said:

I'd say the DS is easily Nintendo's best system since SNES, and ranks up there alongside it and both PlayStations.

I'm not going to rank them in that group, but people are acting as if Nintendo's completely lost it. They obviously haven't, and the DS will probably go down as the best handheld ever and the most sold system ever. There's reasons for that.

Crisis

Banned
I think it's beyond obvious PS3 needs a price drop at this point. Either that or bring out a good bundle for $399 for the holidays. Otherwise we're going to keep seeing low sales.

Cheez-It

donny2112 said:
Worldwide Estimated

PS360vsWII-13.png

What the hell? I had no idea it was this close. So we could realistically see the Wii pass the HD consoles in a few months or less? Wow.

I hope developers notice, and act on this information. I'm loving the Wii, but 3rd party support taking into account the success of this console is pathetic.

chespace said:
The bitter pill you've got to swallow is that there will never be a Nintendo heyday like the SNES years. Ever.

From Nintendo's point of view, this is an even better heyday than the days of the NES and SNES. While the NES and the SNES in particular ruled the US and Japan, the SNES in particular struggled and in the end lost to the Mega Drive (Genesis) in Europe. Nintendo now has a strangling grasp on all three major regions, and is making money hand over fist in the middle of a financial meltdown.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lyre said:
You're supposed to make your own level rather than play them. The emphasis more on retarded fan-made levels rather than ones from an actual experienced level designer. The emphasis more on something that's been done on PC for years.

If that's not a non-game, I dunno what is.
That would be absolutely true if it weren't for the 6-hour single player campaign, which DOES have levels from "actual experienced level designers".

You could argue that spending $60 for a 6-hour game is crazy, but you couldn't call it a non-game.

chubigans said:
Cmon, you can't be serious. That's an incredibly stupid thing to say. Why do you think it's a non-game?

Serious answer: it's a game based on creating levels. I do not like going through endless crappy levels to find a good one. I do not like creating levels. It is a nongame because you have to make it yourself.

antiloop said:
Because it lacks guns I think.

WrikaWrek said:
Yes because Dragona loves her guns.

The safe handling of a gun and learning to hunt are both invaluable skills, in my opinion.

HK-47 said:
Lacks surgical tools

OK, you win.

PS: TC2 is kinda a letdown in terms of difficulty, I'm S ranking most surgeries the first time and XSing them in the second go around on hard. :(

Yes Boss!

WrikaWrek said:
I wonder how those Socom owners will feel about the game though.

Isn't it plagued with problems?

I think the big sales number is from the sexy Headset included. I know I (almost) bought it because of that.

PS: Nice that the NPD thread is back to form...it was really boring there for awhile.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dragona Akehi said:
Serious answer: it's a game based on creating levels. I do not like going through endless crappy levels to find a good one. I do not like creating levels. It is a nongame because you have to make it yourself.
Like I said before, there's a real game to play if you don't want to make your own, and it's great. Not $60 great, no, and certainly not worth alone if you don't want to make your own levels, but it's not a non-game.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Seriously now, why are people not buying into the PS3 ?, what is it ?, price ?, marketing ? considering how popular the PS2 was I really thought that the Playstation brand would of had alot more sway than it seems to be having thus far, I hope it picks up becuase at this rate there'll be no PS4 the way things are going and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen, and :-( @ LBP sales.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:

Handling a gun and learning to hunt are both invaluable skills, in my opinion.

OK, you win.

PS: TC2 is kinda a letdown in terms of difficulty, I'm S ranking most surgeries the first time and XSing them in the second go around on hard. :(
It has like 65 great levels made by mediamolecule out of the box.

I think the DS will surpass the SNES and pretty much every system to date for 1 very simple reason: The perfect harmony between 2D and 3D games. You're never stuck with just one. The ratio of 2D/3D is almost 50/50. No system has ever managed that. It either dominated by one or the other. It also helps that the DS has great 2D and 3D games to play.

lyre said:
You're supposed to make your own level rather than play them. The emphasis more on retarded fan-made levels rather than ones from an actual experienced level designer. The emphasis more on something that's been done on PC for years.

If that's not a non-game, I dunno what is.
I wonder if I could extrapolate Quake 1 being a non-game........

:lol

JonnyBrad

Fartsandwich said:
Mario Galaxy is nothing more than an N64 game with GameCube graphics in an era where HD is king.

Spherical worlds are nothing new, they were done in Ratchet and Clank years ago.

Gravity gimmicks aren't new either. There are decades old NES games that had varying gravity.

Where are the community features? Where is the online interaction? Why do the developers treat us like a five year olds and constantly hold our hands?

If aping other developers' ideas and throwing them into another tired rehash is the best the Wii can produce, then it's no wonder educated gamers are ignoring it.

LBP is the culmination of platformer evolution and probably the most significant release since the original Pitfall. Another Nintardo rehash just won't cut it in the HD era. LPB is a game that looks to the future and allows the gamer too play however they want, without the developer insulting our intelligence.

People need to take off the nostalgia glasses...

computer_meltdown2.jpg

Nice thing about this gen is no matter what if you wait a few months you can get nearly anything for less than $20.

With used games going for such low prices I'm surprised anyone is making money. =/

chubigans said:
Like I said before, there's a real game to play if you don't want to make your own, and it's great. Not $60 great, no, and certainly not worth alone if you don't want to make your own levels, but it's not a non-game.

An overlong demo doesn't count, in my opinion. :p

lowrider007 said:
Seriously now, why are people not buying into the PS3 ?, what is it ?, price ?, marketing ? considering how popular the PS2 was I really thought that the Playstation brand would of had alot more sway than it seems to be having thus far, I hope it picks up becuase at this rate there'll be no PS4 the way things are going and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen, and :-( @ LBP sales.
It's more that nobody likes a loser. Like the Gamecube.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
lowrider007 said:

Price sure is a huge point.

Dragona Akehi said:
Don't like MGS, LBP is a nongame, FPS, Racer, Played the Demo and not convinced yet, I wanted to like this but is yet another TPS, Oblivion with guns (hated Oblivion), TPS, have that one.

As for the future games: Interested but am going to really miss pointer controls, haven't liked a mainline FF since V, not sure, while I enjoy Ueda games they're never as great as a certain faction claims, not a bit GOW fan.

You have permission to call me Miss Negativity for the rest of the thread now.

Oh Viva Piñata, I did want to get that one too. Thanks for reminding me.

Nothing really on PSN I want, though I'd also maybe want BK and Braid on XBLA. I haven't really looked at the XBLA library though.

Right now, whenever I look at lists of released games for PS360, there really isn't much I want. And I'm willing to try new stuff out like Mirror's Edge.

I don't like Wii Sports all that much either, and I don't count it one of my seventeen games (I went and recounted them and forgot to add Sam and Max to my list).
:lol LBP is a non-game.

Good grief.

16 Wii games. Awful taste. I can think of maybe 7 or 8, but 16?

chubigans said:
I know you realize your wrong and I accept your apology that you're too shy to give me. Just be careful next time! :)
chubigans, you simple gay-hating man, do not try to provoke dragona with condescending language

Private Hoffman said:

Good grief.

16 Wii games. Awful taste.
dead man walking

LCfiner

Cow Mengde said:
Don't compare my post with his.

Doom 3 is crap thanks to the constant switching back and forth with the flash light, and bare bones gameplay mechanics. Really, besides the flash light, what else does Doom 3 do that Doom 1/2 doesn't do?

COD4... I stumbled into victory complete confused as to why everyone died even though I was on the floor crawling to avoid gun fire, with a final battle that wasn't a battle. How could I forget the oh so wonderful stealth stage that more of a game of simon says. Reminds me of Dragon's Lair.

Oblivion has glitches galore. Barely functional camera for combat. You either hack and slash at first person not knowing whether your sword will hit. Try 3rd person with a wonky camera that I had to mod. Travel though a gigantic world of emptiness. Huge dungeons at all practically have the same layout. Hundreds of pointless fetch quests. Pointless grinding to build stats.

Doom 3 is the only game you mentioned that was considered a disappointment by a large segment of the gaming public.

millions of people have had legitimately great fun with both CoD4 and Oblivion. to state that they are downright "poor" is ridiculous.

Your post may not have been at the same level of Fartsandwich's meltdown but, well, that would be pretty hard to top.

Grecco

Private Hoffman said:

Good grief.

Glass houses shouldn't cast stones or something to that exctenct.

I know you realize your wrong and I accept your apology that you're too shy to give me. Just be careful next time! :)

Dont you need to play them to get some of the editing tools? I wonder how many people would care about them if you didnt.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The DS is fast becoming the greatest system of all time when it comes to having a fantastic and varied library. I don't see why you'd even want to dispute this.
Yeah, if you like western-developed games at all I think you might want to dispute this.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think I liked the SNES better than the DS, and I probably like the PS2 more than the DS as well.

Speevy

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

That doesn't make any sense at all. Even if no one ever made a single level, you would still be able to play the game's single player mode.

And there are tons of LBP users who have played hundreds of levels without creating one of their own.

A non-game is one which allows players to imagine their own objectives. In LBP, you are encouraged to create, finish, and publish levels, which is itself an accomplishment.

And within the levels, it's not as though you're walking around aimlessly.

How by any Amir0xian measure do you call LBP a non-game?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The DS is fast becoming the greatest system of all time when it comes to having a fantastic and varied library. I don't see why you'd even want to dispute this.

I already made the suggestion in the "Nintendo fan buys PS2" thread. It did not end pretty.

Oliver.S

Private Hoffman said:

Good grief.

God, I hate fanboys.
This and the controls and the countless bugs in LBP..;p

Private Hoffman said:

Good grief.

Different people have different tastes. It's shocking, I know.

How's this for a doozy? I generally tend to like Nintendo products, yet I hate Super Smash Bros.

Private Hoffman said:

Good grief.

People call all sorts of things non-games. Like Professor Layton, or The Sims, or Space Giraffe.

In reference to contents of my Wii library:

<Amir0x> I mean i am a little surprised but, maybe Wii isn't devoid as I always argue
<Amir0x> i am having trouble criticizing that list

SH-SH-SH-SHOCKER!!

Speevy said:
That doesn't make any sense at all. Even if no one ever made a single level, you would still be able to play the game's single player mode.

And there are tons of LBP users who have played hundreds of levels without creating one of their own.

A non-game is one which allows players to imagine their own objectives. In LBP, you are encouraged to create, finish, and publish levels, which is itself an accomplishment.

And within the levels, it's not as though you're walking around aimlessly.

How by any Amir0xian measure do you call LBP a non-game?

LBP is definitely not a non-game.

Try getting all the stickers and acing each level. It's very much 'hardcore'.

And a great co-op game too boot. I don't see why a fan of SMG wouldn't enjoy LBP.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Private Hoffman said:
I just dont see how someone can have 16.

I've got about half that. And about double PS360 games (bout 30 or so)

Different strokes though. Whatever floats your boat.

I understand that, but there are easily 16 games on the Wii that could be deemed of enough quality to be purchasable. I'm not going to start a list war, though.

I know most of you like to think of the system as a non-game orgy fest, but there's still good stuff for the hardcore gamer in it.

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, if you like western-developed games at all I think you might want to dispute this.
Oh come on. Ubisoft has so much to offer for the DS. Imagine babiez, imagina fashion designer, imagine dogz, imagine ...

Top Bottom