• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

jman2050

Dragona is good at this.

Also :lol @ Wii, and :lol @ people laughing at LBP sales. It's not a system seller, but it's a solid title with solid sales. And a really great game to boot.

Gaborn

lowrider007 said:
Seriously now, why are people not buying into the PS3 ?, what is it ?, price ?, marketing ? considering how popular the PS2 was I really thought that the Playstation brand would of had alot more sway than it seems to be having thus far, I hope it picks up becuase at this rate there'll be no PS4 the way things are going and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen, and :-( @ LBP sales.

I think the problem for the PS3 is it NEVER got over the initial price point. Oh sure it's come down a fair bit since $599, but the problem is that consumer's PERCEPTIONS that it's simply too expensive haven't changed. I mean, devoted Sony fans at this point often will speak in terms of the "value" of the PS3, and how even when it launched at $599 that was a good "value" considering the price of Blu-Ray players at the time (of course since then Blu Ray players have dropped sharply in price).

The thing is though, value isn't ever really the issue, it's consumers perceptions of value, and right now the PS3 has relatively little mind share compared to the other consoles. I'm not sure how, or if they can get that mind share back in the near term, but short of dropping the price significantly I don't see a single game right now that can really turn it around the way it would need to.

pvpness

Come on EA! Put Dead Space on the Wii so it gets the sales it deserves. Pretty sure the base is more than willing to buy games that are similar.

I'll buy a couple more copies for HD only friends, but then I'm out of ideas. :(

santouras

Fartsandwich said:
Mario Galaxy is nothing more than an N64 game with GameCube graphics in an era where HD is king.

Spherical worlds are nothing new, they were done in Ratchet and Clank years ago.

Gravity gimmicks aren't new either. There are decades old NES games that had varying gravity.

Where are the community features? Where is the online interaction? Why do the developers treat us like a five year olds and constantly hold our hands?

If aping other developers' ideas and throwing them into another tired rehash is the best the Wii can produce, then it's no wonder educated gamers are ignoring it.

LBP is the culmination of platformer evolution and probably the most significant release since the original Pitfall. Another Nintardo rehash just won't cut it in the HD era. LPB is a game that looks to the future and allows the gamer too play however they want, without the developer insulting our intelligence.

People need to take off the nostalgia glasses...
Fartsandwich
Banned
(Today, 01:24 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol
only two posts made, this has to be one of the quickest bans in gaf history no?

Dragona Akehi said:
People call all sorts of things non-games. Like Professor Layton, or The Sims, or Space Giraffe.

In reference to contents of my Wii library:

<Amir0x> I mean i am a little surprised but, maybe Wii isn't devoid as I always argue
<Amir0x> i am having trouble criticizing that list

maybe your list isn't so bad. I guess you could find 16 arguable Wii purchases. But I don't see how you can only manage to find so few games from other platforms

lowrider007 said:
Seriously now, why are people not buying into the PS3 ?, what is it ?, price ?, marketing ? considering how popular the PS2 was I really thought that the Playstation brand would of had alot more sway than it seems to be having thus far, I hope it picks up becuase at this rate there'll be no PS4 the way things are going and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen, and :-( @ LBP sales.

Waiting for Heavy Rain. Every other title that was enticing me to buy a PS3 went Multiplatform.

pvpness said:
Come on EA! Put Dead Space on the Wii so it gets the sales it deserves. Pretty sure the base is more than willing to buy games that are similar.

I'll buy a couple more copies for HD only friends, but then I'm out of ideas. :(
Do we have any idea on PS3 Dead Space sales? Probably around 100-120k maybe, so its not that bad.

jman2050

Private Hoffman said:
LBP is definitely not a non-game.

Try getting all the stickers and acing each level. It's very much 'hardcore'.

And a great co-op game too boot. I don't see why a fan of SMG wouldn't enjoy LBP.

Because SMG is nothing like LBP. Not that that's a bad thing, but the comparisons end at "they're platformers."

Oliver.S

Private Hoffman said:
LBP is definitely not a non-game.

Try getting all the stickers and acing each level. It's very much 'hardcore'.

And a great co-op game too boot. I don't see why a fan of SMG wouldn't enjoy LBP.
A SMG player likes tight and spot on controls and no cheap deads.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
with wii and music games as hot as they are, something called 'wii music' ought to have sold on its name alone. wii music is so shitty that its shittiness is apparent even to the totally uninformed and essentially indifferent casual buyer. it's miraculous and it makes me want to believe again

and lolz at the reviewers and ninthings who'd imaginatively projected themselves into the minds of casual buyers and decided that wii music was ACTUALLY VERY CLEVER IN A WAY THAT THE HARDLYCORE COULDN'T GRASP

Private Hoffman said:
maybe your list isn't so bad. I guess you could find 16 arguable Wii purchases. But I don't see how you can only manage to find so few games from other platforms
Different preferences. The art however is not to call others preferences shitty, like you did a moment ago.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

How many PS3 games you have?

How many 360 ones?

chubigans said:
Why do you keep attacking me with this crap. :\
i dunno, it's just that when someone is actually happy about helping to legislate hatred and bigotry i kinda find that a little, i dunno, disgusting

Dunlop

lowrider007 said:

Price is a huge factor, people can pick up BD players (here in Canada) for $200 now so that market is now gone.

I picked up a PS3 this weekend with LBP, after trading in a lot of games it cost me about $250 out of my pocket. I am rather underwhelmed with the system vs the 360 for functionality, I picked up an arcade as a media extender for $200 with 2 games (Fable II,VP2) last month.

people bitched about the 360 at the time for not lowering it's price and yet last year the PS3 was the same price as now. the difference is Spiderman BD was replaced by an extra 40GB of hard disk space. Also last year you were able to get the 5 free BD movies.

With GoW2 and NXE with massive media push over the holifay season, they need to drop the price by $100 and they need to do it yesterday.

Now as for the Wii, commpare what the holiday offerings are vs the PS3 or 360, why the fuck are people so happy for it ? Yes I own one

Private Hoffman said:

Backpeddling now? That was quick.

jman2050 said:
Because SMG is nothing like LBP. Not that that's a bad thing, but the comparisons end at "they're platformers."

Nothing like, perhaps, but the core gameplay is still the same concept. If you're a fan of one, I don't see why you wouldn't be a fan of the other. And I definitely don't consider SMG a 'non-game'. I don't see how LBP constitutes a non-game.

Wii Music is the very definition of a non-game; not LBP.

Yes Boss! said:
I have 44 Wii games...

And 17 PS3 games...

And 34 360 games...

And 18 PSP games...

And 73 DS games.
44 Wii games? Do you have a list somewhere. If someone gave me money to go out and buy 44 good Wii game, I don't think I could get half of that.

Speevy

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
i dunno, it's just that when someone is actually happy about helping to legislate hatred and bigotry i kinda find that a little, i dunno, disgusting

Did I just get transported to Poligaf? Wow.

Oblivion said:
:O

Say it ain't so vks. :(
I tried to like it, but it just doesn't float my boat. I'm not into the fighting genre in general (even in a simplified form), so the only appeal that the SSB series could have is purely based on fan-service alone. That just doesn't cut the mustard for me, I'm afraid.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
EmCeeGramr said:
The funny thing is I've already posted how I was wrong to do so and wouldn't vote for the measure at all.

But I guess you missed that.

Don't bring it up again unless it's in PM form, ok?

pvpness

GitarooMan said:
Do we have any idea on PS3 Dead Space sales? Probably around 100-120k maybe, so its not that bad.

I agree, it's not that bad for a new EA ip, I just wanted it to be better. We'll probably see DS2 anyway so that's all that really matters.

jman2050

Private Hoffman said:
Nothing like, perhaps, but the core gameplay is still the same concept. If you're a fan of one, I don't see why you wouldn't be a fan of the other. And I definitely don't consider SMG a 'non-game'. I don't see how LBP constitutes a non-game.

Wii Music is the very definition of a non-game; not LBP.

You can't say if one likes SMG they will love LBP, because they are in no way similar enough to warrant any sort of comparison of that nature.

It's like saying is someone likes Phantasy Star IV they'll like Baldur's Gate II.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Blu_LED said:
44 Wii games? Do you have a list somewhere. If someone game me money to go out and buy 44 good Wii game, I don't think I could get half of that.

I made this list around the middle of September. Basically anything starting with Shikigami onwards is take it or leave it, and there's a few there (Wii Fit, Mega Man 9, Fire Emblem) that I'd only recommend if you are the target audience. That's 47 including WiiWare but not VC, and missing anything that came out since then (I think Sam & Max is probably the only retail title, but there are a few WiiWare).

Kuramu

Any day now....

b-day-party.gif

The Hermit

drohne said:
with wii and music games as hot as they are, something called 'wii music' ought to have sold on its name alone. wii music is so shitty that its shittiness is apparent even to the totally uninformed and essentially indifferent casual buyer. it's miraculous and it makes me want to believe again

and lolz at the reviewers and ninthings who'd imaginatively projected themselves into the minds of casual buyers and decided that wii music was ACTUALLY VERY CLEVER IN A WAY THAT THE HARDLYCORE COULDN'T GRASP

Some of them where "this can´t be that shitty, something is underneath I know it"...

I am glad this thing bombed, maybe they can do something better next time... and if it´s a music game please don´t use MIDI.

Stumpokapow said:
I made this list around the middle of September. Basically anything starting with Shikigami onwards is take it or leave it, and there's a few there (Wii Fit, Mega Man 9, Fire Emblem) that I'd only recommend if you are the target audience. That's 47 including WiiWare but not VC, and missing anything that came out since then (I think Sam & Max is probably the only retail title, but there are a few WiiWare).
Hmm I see. I didn't know you were counting WiiWare games. Thats a very nice list, better then I thought it would be. There are some I don't really see why anyone would buy (obviously Spogs was for the laugh factor?) but the list is overall pretty good.

EDIT: Nevermind. 44 disc games. Wow I didn't think it was possible.

sphinx

the piano man
bmf said:
It's more that nobody likes a loser. Like the Gamecube.

In defense of the gamecube, its owners were very enthusiasts with the software, we all bought Mario sunshine, Metroid, Zelda and the occasional 3rd party game like the tales games.

I might be completely wrong but I believe software numbers for selected titles weren't all that crappy in the US.

I am not sure the PS3 does well at anything anywhere...

Yes Boss!

Blu_LED said:
44 Wii games? Do you have a list somewhere. If someone gave me money to go out and buy 44 good Wii game, I don't think I could get half of that.

Love the Wii. Got about 90 VC games and 25 WiiWare games. Awesome little system.

IMG_0902.jpg

Dunlop

Fartsandwich said:
Mario Galaxy is nothing more than an N64 game with GameCube graphics in an era where HD is king.

Spherical worlds are nothing new, they were done in Ratchet and Clank years ago.

Gravity gimmicks aren't new either. There are decades old NES games that had varying gravity.

Where are the community features? Where is the online interaction? Why do the developers treat us like a five year olds and constantly hold our hands?

If aping other developers' ideas and throwing them into another tired rehash is the best the Wii can produce, then it's no wonder educated gamers are ignoring it.

LBP is the culmination of platformer evolution and probably the most significant release since the original Pitfall. Another Nintardo rehash just won't cut it in the HD era. LPB is a game that looks to the future and allows the gamer too play however they want, without the developer insulting our intelligence.

People need to take off the nostalgia glasses...

Did he really get banned just for this?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stumpokapow said:

I respectfully find a great many of the games on that list to be quite poor, or worse.

Top Bottom