• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Dunlop

a Master Ninja said:
I knew Fable II would outsell Fallout 3 on the 360, but did it just outdo the combined sales of Fallout 3 across 360,PS3, and PC? Holy shit.

Totally deserve it. I hope LBP gets some of that loving next month

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
a Master Ninja said:
I knew Fable II would outsell Fallout 3 on the 360, but did it just outdo the combined sales of Fallout 3 across 360,PS3, and PC? Holy shit.

Certainly possible. The fact that Garnett was afraid that Fallout 3 was gonna run over Fable II was and is loltastic

GameGamer

I just don't see blu-ray movie disks making it as a standard.

Downloads/streaming are probably going to be the new movie standard. (netflix/Itunes, etc.)

Yes Boss!

GameGamer said:
The PS3 owners I know had no idea what LBP was.

I was surprised, but it's just not a known title people are looking for.

Welcome to the world of Wii owners and Wii Music.

Both are gonna be a tough sell on the mainstream.

And both are fuck-awesome and should be in every collection.

_leech_ said:
Software's delivering. I'm pretty sure when Jack Trenton said it was going to be the "year of the PS3", he wasn't talking to people who horde NPD threads.
I am pretty sure Trenton meant year of the PS3 saleswise.

GameGamer said:
The PS3 owners I know had no idea what LBP was.

I was surprised, but it's just not a known title people are looking for.

Sony really needs to advertise it.

They said it would be getting their largest holiday advertising, but so far, it has gotten the least compared to MS2 and R2.

Sigh, I guess Sony can't afford to properly advertise its games. So sad.

Fartsandwich said:
Mario Galaxy is nothing more than an N64 game with GameCube graphics in an era where HD is king.

Spherical worlds are nothing new, they were done in Ratchet and Clank years ago.

Gravity gimmicks aren't new either. There are decades old NES games that had varying gravity.

Where are the community features? Where is the online interaction? Why do the developers treat us like a five year olds and constantly hold our hands?

If aping other developers' ideas and throwing them into another tired rehash is the best the Wii can produce, then it's no wonder educated gamers are ignoring it.

LBP is the culmination of platformer evolution and probably the most significant release since the original Pitfall. Another Nintardo rehash just won't cut it in the HD era. LPB is a game that looks to the future and allows the gamer too play however they want, without the developer insulting our intelligence.

People need to take off the nostalgia glasses...

banhimsmallk.gif

dirtmonkey37 said:
I think NPD only measured a week's worth of LBP sales. I'm sure the game will do at least MGS4 numbers, if not greater. We'll see how it fared in November's NPD results.
It's a platformer, limited appeal. I bet LBP does no better than 250k next month, even though it's November where sales usually double over October, and even though it will be 4 weeks of LBP sales vs 5 days.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Private Hoffman said:
Sony really needs to advertise it.

They said it would be getting their largest holiday advertising, but so far, it has gotten the least compared to MS2 and R2.

Sigh, I guess Sony can't afford to properly advertise its games. So sad.

Don't be sad dude. Play your PS3.

Or start a petition.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm fine with Mama Robotnik making awesome gifs, but could the quoters please take away the image tags and just leave the link?

Haunted

And Fallout 3 PC obviously made up for the missing 4.X million units not accounted for in the NPD Top 10.

right?

;_;

chespace said:
Don't be sad dude. Play your PS3.

Or start a petition.
On second thought, just do the latter and make a thread about it on GAF.

FrankT

Xbox 360 outsells PS3 nearly 2:1 in October, Fable II debuts at #1

Xbox 360 hardware sales continue to surge after price drop

With 371,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in October and a 33% increase in average weekly run rates from September, the Xbox 360 outsold PS3 by nearly 2:1 this month. Consumers are eager to get the most affordable next generation video game and entertainment system on the market, just in time for the New Xbox Experience, which launches next Wednesday, November 19 (October NPD data).

“Fable II” debuts exclusively on Xbox 360 with a record-setting pace

· Since its U.S. launch on Oct. 21, “Fable II” has sold more than 1.5 million units worldwide for Xbox 360 in the first two weeks of retail, making it the fastest selling RPG on Xbox 360 and the most popular game, across all platforms, in the US in October. (October NPD data and Microsoft Internal Data)

“Gears of War 2” has a blockbuster opening weekend

· Following its Nov. 7 launch, 2 million copies of “Gears of War 2” sold worldwide during its first weekend of availability. The sequel to the fastest-selling video game of 2006 and one of the most popular games in Xbox history is setting the pace again for blockbusters this holiday. (Microsoft Internal Data)

· More than 1.5 million people logged into “Gears of War 2” on Xbox LIVE during its first weekend, racking up a total 15 million hours of game play, helping set a new record for concurrent LIVE players

Xbox 360 blockbusters are flying off shelves and ready for holiday gamers

This holiday season, the Xbox 360 blockbusters are here and we have something to excite everyone. October NPD numbers show a record software attach rate of 8.1 and industry leading software spend reaching $244 million this month on the Xbox 360, thanks to a slew of new titles. Xbox owners are flocking to blockbuster titles such as “Fable II,” “Gears of War 2,” and “Fallout 3.” And we know Xbox 360 owners will also be eager to get their hands on social games like “Lips” and “You’re in the Movies” when they debut in the coming weeks. With a line up like this, it’s no surprise Xbox 360 games had half of the top ten slots this month.

Third-party publishers have blockbuster success on Xbox 360

· Third-party publishers helped Xbox 360 reach $171 million on third-party game spend in October, further boosting Xbox 360’s total third-party game sales this generation to $4.5 billion, or a 57% share. (October NPD data)

· After an Oct. 28 launch, “Fallout 3” is off to a hot start with the Xbox 360 version taking the no. 3 software spot in October. (October NPD data)

· Also earning a debut on the top 10 games list for October is the Xbox 360 version of “Saints Row 2” at no. 6. (October NPD data)

And of course just days from now, on Nov. 19, the New Xbox Experience will launch in time for the holiday shopping season, which will completely recast the Xbox 360. Look for an enhanced user experience including the ability to enjoy hit movies from Netflix instantly and in high definition exclusively on Xbox 360, a bold new User Interface, avatars, and LIVE parties. We’re optimistic for a great holiday season with an entertainment system that has something for everyone.

http://kotaku.com/5086686/microsoft-responds-to-october-npd-sales-seems-pleased

MS numbers, 1.5 million for Fable 2 first two weeks WW. Maintains attach rate.

OldJadedGamer said:
Wait... did I miss it yet? Where is the official spin on the numbers from the big two?

The brutal nature of reality seems to be providing some extra challenge this month.

Should make for some good reading.

donny2112

diss said:
cut prices sony. cut prices nooooooow.

Their stated goal since the start of this fiscal year has been to sacrifice prospective marketshare for improved financials. They've stuck to their guns this long, so I expect them to not cut prices until after the end of the fiscal year (i.e. April at the earliest).

Haunted said:
And Fallout 3 PC obviously made up for the missing 4.X million units not accounted for in the NPD Top 10.

right?

;_;

I'm going PS3 owner for this and say that F3 is the best PC/Console game I've played this year. Their loss!

Haunted

donny2112 said:
Their stated goal since the start of this fiscal year has been to sacrifice prospective marketshare for improved financials. They've stuck to their guns this long, so I expect them to not cut prices until after the end of the fiscal year (i.e. April at the earliest).
The entertainment division is definitely under pressure from shareholders with the abysmal last couple of quarters and the PS3 selling sharply below expectations in all major regions.

Profitability might come ahead of marketshare in the short-term, but if this continues their long-term plans are in jeopardy as well - they really might have to cut this generation short. At least shorter than initially planned.

Haunted

Anasui Kishibe said:
I'm going PS3 owner for this and say that F3 is the best PC/Console game I've played this year. Their loss!
Yep, it is my GOTY as well so far.

I wish Bethesda more success, though. :/

I don't see why Sony should cut the prices yet. This generation still has plenty of time for them to do price cuts. Sales will be higher during the holiday period either way.

They should cut the price in the new year (spring/summer) when system sales generally go down to get a nice boost leading into fall 09.

donny2112

Haunted said:
they really might have to cut this generation short. At least shorter than initially planned.

The PlayStation family has always had a 10-year plan and always will. It had nothing to do with the PS1 and PS2 selling over 100 million consoles worldwide and being the clear generational leader. It was through sheer will that we forced the industry to keep making profits by creating games for us for those 10 years, and we'll do it again with the PS3. 10 years, baby!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haunted said:
Yep, it is my GOTY as well so far.

I wish Bethesda more success, though. :/

Sorry guys I'm gonna have to go with Dead Space on that one. I'm too big a fan of RE4, SS2, and Alien. Its nearly a perfect game for me.

Top Bottom