• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Raw64life

Everything not in the OP so far...

October 08:

WII WII MUSIC: ~80K

-----

Rough LTDs:

WII MARIO KART WII: ~3.4 million
WII WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA: ~2.8 million

-----

Hardware LTD:

NDS: ~22.9 million
Wii: ~13.4 million
PSP: ~12.8 million
360: ~11.6 million
PS3: ~5.7 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 21 months in the top 10 and counting:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K
April 08 - 360K
May 08 - 295K
June 08 - 295K
July 08 - 285K
August 08 - 200K
September 08 - 245K
October 08 - 280K

LTD: ~7.13 million

...the drought of supplemental NPD info continues.

Owzers

Yes Boss! said:
Exactly,

All the chespaces and lukesmiths can right off this generation since they are subsidized by MS but next cycle is going to bite back. Those outfits will be making the niche games unless they plan ahead. MS and Sony aren't going to play to their hands at all...it is going to be ugly.

Aren't the 3rd parties making low-budget niche games on Wii as an attempt to make a profit from whatever money gamers have after buying Nintendo published games?

how is this chart correct if it was just recently said that MS has reached or is about to reach 25 million units?

WWConsoles-15.png

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Kandinsky said:
30v0tic.jpg

wtf?!:lol

But I don't get why you're offended by people sporting avatars of something that's clearly important to them. How is that any different from people using avatars of their local sports teams? I mean, you're free to use photos of Michelle Bachelet or Chilean flags all you like.

Nothing wrong, right?

soldat7

norinrad21 said:
Tough luck next gen guys when Nintendo would have single handily created a new army of fans who will root for them for the next 2 decades.

Because once a Nintendo fan, always a Nintendo fan?

I personally didn't skip a beat snatching up a PS1 for Metal Gear when I saw it for the first time despite my 'loyalties'. This so-called 'new army of fans' may very well seek out more mature experiences on other platforms unless Nintendo is interested in maturing with their audience. To be perfectly honest, Nintendo doesn't really have to or probably want to...they control a very nice segment of the blue ocean...

Yes Boss!

sillymonkey321 said:
Aren't the 3rd parties making low-budget niche games on Wii as an attempt to make a profit from whatever money gamers have after buying Nintendo published games?

Yeah, and the HD model so proudly championed this cycle will be the economic norm next cycle and these firms that are already vested will fall into the same trap reusing engines and assets developed this cycle for quick turnaround for an increasing smaller audience during the next cycle.

chespace said:
Various posts in this thread

Just for the sake of disclosure: Are you not a Microsoft employee? You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but you've been very vocal in this thread. You should at least give the Nintendo fans you have been calling out the courtesy of revealing any relevant allegiances. Don't you agree?

Perhaps that's already been noted. If so, just ignore me.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

The one thing I notice in the above chart is the concave nature of both Wii and 360 LTD lines while the PS3 line is convex, which indicates increasing growth for the former and slowing growth for the latter. I would also point to last year's holiday-period sales for a precedent of this year's growth. Look for the Wii to sell 3 million in the next couple months, 360 to sell 2 million, and the PS3 to sell 1.5 million.

What I notice in this chart (above) is the rather static nature of the PS3 Market Share % line, while the 360 and Wii lines have intersected and are diverging. This suggests that the PS3 market is static and independent of the other two, while Wii sales are directly hurting 360's overall market share.*

*This does not mean they are competing for the same audience but is rather an observation of the numbers.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm subsidized by MS. :lol Can't complain about the bi-weekly stipend, oh yes.

Please, get out of the fucking basement, kids.

Also, what good is winning a console war when your most ardent fanbase is starved for games?

You simply can't deny the fact that both 360 and PS3 ecosystems are very healthy for third-parties profits. Nintendo Wii? Not so much comparatively. Good for sending Yamauchi to the heavens, yes, but not much else. :p

MobiusPigeon said:
how is this chart correct if it was just recently said that MS has reached or is about to reach 25 million units?
Shipped not sold though.

He's estimating Euro numbers, but Japanese and American numbers are completely correct.

MS tells ya how many they've shipped, which is a sale to them. But not generally sales to consumers.

Sharp

Raw64life said:
Everything not in the OP so far...

...the drought of supplemental NPD info continues.
At the very least, you missed the new Rock Band 2 LTD information and GH:WT sales information, which means there might be more sales you missed as well.

Owzers

chespace said:

Also, what good is winning a console war when your most ardent fanbase is starved for games?

You simply can't deny the fact that both 360 and PS3 ecosystems are very healthy for third-parties profits. Nintendo Wii? Not so much comparatively. Good for sending Yamauchi to the heavens, yes, but not much else. :p

They aren't starved. The more casual audience doesn't play many games so they always have something to choose from at the store if they only shop for games once every other month. The more...loyal...Wii fans will play pretty much anything and like it, as long as publishers put out games that aren't complete shovelware, they will find enjoyment out of them.

MobiusPigeon said:
it was installed base. unless they plan on selling 5 million consoles worldwide this month that chart is probably off by 1-2 million.
I'd say that chart has a better chance of being right then corporate PR.

chespace said:

I'd say it's more starved for console gaming in general. This fall looks positively barren if you don't like shooters, and don't like FP games.

This isn't fanboy speak, it's the freaking truth. I loved KotOR, Mass Effect is a pile. What could have been a good game sullied by unnecessary shooter bullshit.

Love that "me too!" crap all you want. I got tired of it last gen, only to see it flood the market even more this gen. Even into titles I might have liked otherwise. Too much shooting!

Not enough lasers, swords, or powers.

Kandinsky said:
30v0tic.jpg

wtf?!:lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol

NPD never fails.

MobiusPigeon said:
it was installed base. unless they plan on selling 5 million consoles worldwide this month that chart is probably off by 1-2 million.
I'm sure that's exactly what they're planning to do. How much do you think the 360 will sell in November and December?

chespace

sillymonkey321 said:
They aren't starved. The more casual audience doesn't play many games so they always have something to choose from at the store if they only shop for games once every other month. The more...loyal...Wii fans will play pretty much anything and like it, as long as publishers put out games that aren't complete shovelware, they will find enjoyment out of them.

Okay. I buy that.

So what do you have in your Wii library, and what have you been playing lately?

This is a serious question because now, as a Wii owner since midnight launch, I'm curious.

Owzers

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, and the HD model so proudly championed this cycle will be the economic norm next cycle and these firms that are already vested will fall into the same trap reusing engines and assets developed this cycle for quick turnaround for an increasing smaller audience during the next cycle.

Solution: Don't make the next cycle of consoles come out for many , many, many, many years. Let developers reuse engines for multiple games this generation and advance the gameplay so people don't just keep buying HD versions of ps2/xbox games. We don't need prettier games than what 360/PS3 can handle, we just need better ideas.

J-Rzez

I wonder if the quality and graphics of KILLZONE 2 is going to get scaled back by these NPD numbers? It's possible since it's been pretty indicative how NPD numbers really matter, just look at all the devs throwing their "A-teams" on the high budget Wii games anymore compared to the PS360.

It's clear that Nintendo tapped an unseen vein of customers in the market perhaps maybe having a shot at strolling by PS2 numbers. It has to be word of mouth or something, as I haven't really seen all the overblown articles on the Wii from various non-gaming media outlets.

360 numbers were really good I thought, around what I expected with some big titles hitting in a close timeline.

Doesn't look to positive of Sony closing out well during the holidays. They needed Killzone 2 this season, even if it was early December. Sadly, the thing that I think will actually help push out PS3's this holiday will actually be "The Dark Knight". They need that Killzone 2 footage out there and soon.

Still though, it's hard to decide what's funnier, "Year of the...", "they'll have to make us games now", or "Port please".

chespace said:
Okay. I buy that.

This is a serious question because now, as a Wii owner since midnight launch, I'm curious.
Dude get over it, I'm sure people buy the Wii to play on it.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
chespace said:

Wii third party sales are much better than PS3 3rd party sales, just sayin'...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330539&highlight=nintendo+graphs

p35.gif

Yes Boss!

chespace said:

Not you personally, but you are the mouthpiece for a company that is going to have to do some serious shifting for next cycle. Your so-called healthy ecosystem is going to get mighty unhealthy when MS and Sony completely change their business models to reflect the realities of the changing markets.

It is nice to think that Nintendo is bringing in new and different customers that don't cannibalize sales which is probably correct this cycle but everyone will share the same base next time.

And, yeah, I've got Forza 2 and like it and I'm going to happily buy Forza 3.

BishopLamont said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

NPD never fails.

I'm sure that's exactly what they're planning to do. How much do you think the 360 will sell in November and December?

they say 25 mil installed by end of november. 1.2-1.5m US, -1m EU, WTF for japan. Yeah 5 mil+for november AND december but again they said thats expected by end of THIS month.

chespace said:

That's an arguable point, based on the financial data that's been posted on this board in recent weeks. The rest of your post is clearly a question of preference. If things were as simple as you make them out to be, then the industry wouldn't be in this current dilemma, in which the customer base and the software support are diverging.

You seem to be clinging to some notion of superior taste, but I trust you're intelligent enough and mature enough to accept that such things are far too subjective to be a reasonable basis for attack or ridicule.

norinrad21 said:
Funny how they wrote that little console off from the very beginning and in the end it ended up becoming the worst nightmare for developers and publishers alike with the real winner being Nintendo.

Tough luck next gen guys when Nintendo would have single handily created a new army of fans who will root for them for the next 2 decades.

how ironic

If anything this generation has proven that the fans are fickle and will disown a brand at the first sign of trouble, the once invincible Playstation brand is proof of this.

Nintendo is still a small fish in a pond with two massive competitors, they rely on being more creative and innovative now because they don't have the resources to make anything like the HD consoles. I ask myself what rabbit will Nintendo possibly pull out of its hat to fend off MS or Sony next generation? They'll all have waggle, they'll all be under $300 (if they're smart) and they'll all aim for the casual market. This generation is an aberration as one competitor offers a totally different product than the other two, and that's probably not going to happen next gen.

Tiktaalik

norinrad21 said:
Funny how they wrote that little console off from the very beginning and in the end it ended up becoming the worst nightmare for developers and publishers alike with the real winner being Nintendo.

how ironic

There's really no reason at all to think that 8 year olds getting Wii's this Xmas will be Nintendo fans for life (or 20 years as you say). Nintendo has been the go to kid system since the beginning of the gaming industry yet Sony and Microsoft have consistently been able to capitalize on the older market.

Myself I only owned Nintendo systems until the late PS1 era/early PS2 era. I was absolutely the definition of a Nintendo fan, having literally only owned Nintendo systems, but when I was in mid highschool I had a lot more disposable income, computer games were completely destroying tired old N64 games and it was pretty damn easy to move onto better pastures. There is absolutely no reason why this Wii generation is any different than any previous. I grew up with the SNES, which I think most people would agree is one of Nintendo's finest systems, and I have absolutely no loyalty toward Nintendo.

Nintendo has always had the kid market wrapped up, and they've done very well with it. Games like Mario Kart Wii, which many gamers consider to be tired rehashes, are awesome and brand new to a kid playing it for the first time. That's a fantastic strategy, but it doesn't guarantee loyalty in any way. Over the next several years the kid who grew up on Mario Kart Wii will see three subsequent versions of Mario Kart, and he will get bored and move on.

aeolist

Banned
chespace said:

Wait aren't basically all the third parties besides Activision doing pretty poorly?

And if these GH numbers are omens of what is to come then they won't be well off for long either.

Sean

Banned
This was a terrible month for Sony. Outsold 2:1 on the hardware side and on the software side Fable 2 alone outsold their entire first-party lineup combined (LBP, Socom, MS2).

LBP did okay but it doesn't seem like it lived up to Sony's expectations of it being their biggest game in 2008. Even Socom Confrontation performed better for them and that's a hardcore oriented online multiplayer-only shooter which received horrible reviews & word of mouth. We'll have to see if LBP has any legs in November I guess. And then there's the lack of MotorStorm: Pacific Rift - the first title was the best-selling PS3 game (3.31m) and the sequel didn't even manage to chart. =/

A solid showing for 360, the price cut seems to have paid off for them and they're selling a lot of software (5 of the top 10). Fantastic month for the Wii as usual, 800k units is just insane, it won't surprise me at all when they exceed 1 million units next month. And the $90 Wii Fit outsold almost every single new game release :lol

Oh and Guitar Hero: World Tour = bomba? Sure seems that way.

Log4Girlz

GenericPseudonym said:
If anything this generation has proven that the fans are fickle and will disown a brand at the first sign of trouble, the once invincible Playstation brand is proof of this.

Nintendo is still a small fish in a pond with two massive competitors, they rely on being more creative and innovative now because they don't have the resources to make anything like the HD consoles. I ask myself what rabbit will Nintendo possibly pull out of its hat to fend off MS or Sony next generation? They'll all have waggle, they'll all be under $300 (if they're smart) and they'll all aim for the casual market. This generation is an aberration as one competitor offers a totally different product than the other two, and that's probably not going to happen next gen.

They'll have momentum. They've gotten the casual's attention, and everyone knows Nintendo's franchises...Wii:HD will probably be wildly successful and there's a good chance it will simply destroy the competition...again. Many people will pick one up and be awash in ports from the former generation and they'll be totally happy with that.

GenericPseudonym said:

It'll just be like PS1 > PS2 transistion. They'll all compete in the same market and will relatively have the same power/price but Nintendo will go into next gen with the most first and third party support.

Hawk269

chespace said:

Chespace, I would not say that the PS3 3rd party is that healthy to put them in the same league as the 360. Just look at the 3rd partie titles that in the top ten are all 360 versions, without any of the Ps3 versions cracking the top ten.

I agree 100% about the Wii though. While they sell alot of software due to the install base, many games just sit and do not sell at all.

Atreides

GenericPseudonym said:

:lol Nintendo has more money than Sony.

Owzers

chespace said:
Okay. I buy that.

I moved in early October and haven't felt the need to unbox my Wii. Super Mario Galaxy was the last and only Wii game i really cared about ( favorite game of this generation). My wii library is:

Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda TP - unplayed
Zak and Wiki - unplayed

I want to check out Boom Blox sometime, it looks fun. I hear No More Heroes is really good but i don't trust wii fans since they love everything.

Semi-immediate wii future

Little King's Story - early 09
Madworld - March 09

currently i'm playing and complaining about Gears 2 online ( 5 minute wait times between each match is insane, especially when it gets done matching and the teams are uneven). I'm waiting for the NXE to start Fable 2. I'm not one of those loyal wii fans who are happy with just about anything on their system. I'm a highly critical gamer who thinks this generation of gaming is full of half-assed ideas, shallow games, and last-gen games in HD. See: Ratchet Futures, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Halo 3, MGS 4 outside of Act 1 and 2 ( aka, the only actual gaming part to MGS 4), Assassins Creed, DMC 4, The Darkness, Brawl, Mario Kart, Ninja Gaiden 2, DOA 4, every 360 JRPG, etc etc etc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sean said:
This was a terrible month for Sony. Outsold 2:1 on the hardware side and on the software side Fable 2 alone outsold their entire first-party lineup combined (LBP, Socom, MS2).

LBP did okay but it doesn't seem like it lived up to Sony's expectations of it being their biggest game in 2008. Even Socom Confrontation performed better for them and that's a hardcore oriented online multiplayer-only shooter which received horrible reviews & word of mouth. We'll have to see if LBP has any legs in November I guess. And then there's the lack of MotorStorm: Pacific Rift - the first title was the best-selling PS3 game (3.31m) and the sequel didn't even manage to chart. =/

A solid showing for 360, the price cut seems to have paid off for them and they're selling a lot of software (5 of the top 10). Fantastic month for the Wii as usual, 800k units is just insane, it won't surprise me at all when they exceed 1 million units next month. And the $90 Wii Fit outsold almost every single new game release :lol

Oh and Guitar Hero: World Tour = bomba? Sure seems that way.

The first Motorstorm also bombed in the charts, but was saved because it was bundled with the PS3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GenericPseudonym said:

swzl04.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
chespace said:
Okay. I buy that.

oh man let's not start with list wars up in here

chespace

Yes Boss! said:
Not you personally, but you are the mouthpiece for a company that is going to have to do some serious shifting for next cycle. Your so-called healthy ecosystem is going to get mighty unhealthy when MS and Sony completely change their business models to reflect the realities of the changing markets.

It is nice to think that Nintendo is bringing in new and different customers that don't cannibalize sales which is probably correct this cycle but everyone will share the same base next time.

And, yeah, I've got Forza 2 and like it and I'm going to happily buy Forza 3.

I'm not going to venture a guess at this point on what will happen next generation. I doubt we're even at the halfway mark for this generation right now, although I think second place is pretty well established. I think the new reality of the changing markets you're referring to is basically that the market is now much bigger than it's ever been before with a more diverse group of "gamers" -- from those who want Gears of War and Halo, to those who only want to play games like Wii Play and little else.

So yeah, MS and Sony will probably broaden their portfolios to chase after new audiences as you see them doing already this generation. But there's way too much money in the hardcore market to simply abandon, which is why all of these fears about Wii killing hardcore gaming are really retardedly unfounded.

And thanks for playing Forza. ;)

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I wonder if the quality and graphics of KILLZONE 2 is going to get scaled back by these NPD numbers? It's possible since it's been pretty indicative how NPD numbers really matter, just look at all the devs throwing their "A-teams" on the high budget Wii games anymore compared to the PS360.

It's clear that Nintendo tapped an unseen vein of customers in the market perhaps maybe having a shot at strolling by PS2 numbers. It has to be word of mouth or something, as I haven't really seen all the overblown articles on the Wii from various non-gaming media outlets.

360 numbers were really good I thought, around what I expected with some big titles hitting in a close timeline.

Doesn't look to positive of Sony closing out well during the holidays. They needed Killzone 2 this season, even if it was early December. Sadly, the thing that I think will actually help push out PS3's this holiday will actually be "The Dark Knight". They need that Killzone 2 footage out there and soon.

Still though, it's hard to decide what's funnier, "Year of the...", "they'll have to make us games now", or "Port please".

That will help sell the $220 and maybe cheaper soon stand alone Blu-Ray players. I think the PS3 will sell less this November than it did last November.

ghostlyjoe said:
That's an arguable point, based on the financial data that's been posted on this board in recent weeks. The rest of your post is clearly a question of preference. If things were as simple as you make them out to be, then the industry wouldn't be in this current dilemma, in which the customer base and the software support are diverging.

You seem to be clinging to some notion of superior taste, but I trust you're intelligent enough and mature enough to accept that such things are far too subjective to be a reasonable basis for attack or ridicule.

Sales are not an indication of quality, and the most objective framework we have for measuring games greatly favours the two other consoles and the PC.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
chespace said:
I'm not going to venture a guess at this point on what will happen next generation. I doubt we're even at the halfway mark for this generation right now, although I think second place is pretty well established. I think the new reality of the changing markets you're referring to is basically that the market is now much bigger than it's ever been before with a more diverse group of "gamers" -- from those who want Gears of War and Halo, to those who only want to play games like Wii Play and little else.

So yeah, MS and Sony will probably broaden their portfolios to chase after new audiences as you see them doing already this generation. But there's way too much money in the hardcore market to simply abandon, which is why all of these fears about Wii killing hardcore gaming are really retardedly unfounded.

And thanks for playing Forza. ;)

:lol How the fuck did I not see this thread? :lol

Way to go Fable!!!!! Just a magical game, and getting it's just desserts. Showed Fallout whose boss on Xbox.
I'll still be picking Fallout up, looks amazing.

LBP didn't too too bad, I honestly hope Banjo can pull the same numbers on the 360.

And holy fuck at the 360 outpacing the PS3 2:1, it truly is the Gamecube of this generation, at least in America.

The Wii is just in a totally different category. Not diminishing it's insane results, but it's pretty clear it's targeting a very different subset of consumers than the 360 (and subsequently raking in the money).

chespace

manueldelalas said:

No, because you automatically assume I'm talking about folks on this forum, and I'm not.

There are plenty of Wii owners who just play Wii Play and nothing else.

And then there are the Wii owners on NeoGAF, who apparently play anything Wii they can get their hands on.

My example was to show two extreme opposites. Jesus, context.

Speevy

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
I thought Fable 2 was infinitely better than part 1, but it's a sad, sad month (and world) when it outsells Fallout 3 and LBP combined.

Dubya-Tee-Eff.

Fable was the best selling non-Halo game on the Xbox I think, or at least the second best selling franchise from Microsoft Games Studio.

So since HD gaming has found its primary home on Microsoft's platform, Fable is now the biggest RPG in the industry, or something like that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
donny2112 said:
The PlayStation family has always had a 10-year plan and always will. It had nothing to do with the PS1 and PS2 selling over 100 million consoles worldwide and being the clear generational leader. It was through sheer will that we forced the industry to keep making profits by creating games for us for those 10 years, and we'll do it again with the PS3. 10 years, baby!

Who's we?

Just got to the thread.

1) Games like Fable outselling XXX is nothing to ever be upset about. Wii Fit outselling XXX, maybe.

2) Private Hoffman delivers. There's predictions he has made that you guys haven't even called him on, but it doesn't even matter. The guy is something else and we need guys like him since other sources of amusement have been banned.

3) I love Rock Band and I think it's the best platform for music gaming and I tell all my friends that if they only buy one music game it is the one they should get. But those trumpeting its' sales over GHWT (Whitta, but not just him) don't really know what they are talking about. GHWT can easily be more profitable even if its tons of SKUs didn't individually chart this month. Do you really think this NPD means GH is going away? Really? The fact that the RB2 360 bundle didn't ever chart and neither did any PS3 RB2 sku may be even more telling about this segment.

Top Bottom