• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

justchris

manueldelalas said:
It's Totaka's project, not Miyamoto.

Read the Iwata Asks for it. It was Miyamoto's idea that he built together with Totaka, then Totaka took over actual development because he is a musician and Miyamoto is not.

jibblypop

Banned
sonycowboy said:
PS3 SOCOM: U.S. NAVY SEALS CONFRONTATION SONY (CORP) Oct-08 7 231K
PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET SONY (CORP) Oct-08 8 215K

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ah fuck. That is the biggest videogame injustice of this month. How the fuck did socom outsell little big planet. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wii is teh fucking monster, i dont like the wii but you have to give ninty props is this the biggest turn around in console history. From the cube selling okish to ds selling fuckton then wii comes and totally fucking owns everyone.

jibblypop said:

Ah fuck. That is the biggest videogame injustice of this month. How the fuck did socom outsell little big planet. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4 days vs. half a month + pack in?

I wouldn't take too much out of that. November should have LBP doing okay and SOCOM will fall like a rock.

J-Rzez

Karma said:
That will help sell the $220 and maybe cheaper soon stand alone Blu-Ray players. I think the PS3 will sell less this November than it did last November.

I meant it that it won't push out PS3's by the truck load, I meant it more that sadly enough for Sony, that is the biggest selling point for product hitting before xmas. But I wouldn't doubt that it does actually sell some PS3's due to people on the fence, perhaps the hard core gamers that will justify picking up one for Blu-Ray and for say Killzone 2. The Dark Knight was a huge box office title, and if Sony has any smarts what so ever, they'll start a mini-campaign for KZ2 in Dec as well to maybe get some people to buy it in advance for the movies and the couple AAA titles on the machine to hold them over until KZ2 (and the eventual GoW3, GT5, perhaps inFamous, etc).

jibblypop said:

SOCOM actually has a pretty hardcore following. I'm curious what it sold via Bundle and DL total. Other SOCOMs did sell over a million copies iirc. And people will buy it because it is SOCOM, despite it's handful of issues left atm.

But yeah, I wish LBP to sell more, but like others said, it only has a couple sales days under it's belt for the month, it's not a typical "hardcore genre" title, and will be a slow burn word of mouth title. And it deserves it as it maybe the most brilliant platformer out there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fizzelopeguss said:
PS3 is a corpse.

frustrating for owners though. its a great little machine. game lineup is pretty competitive now. Is it just price thats holding it back, or does it now have some kind of image problem in consumers minds? Is there massive demand from old PS2 owners holding off due to the entry price point, or have they all just bought 360s?

Nocebo

mrklaw said:
frustrating for owners though. its a great little machine. game lineup is pretty competitive now. Is it just price thats holding it back, or does it now have some kind of image problem in consumers minds? Is there massive demand from old PS2 owners holding off due to the entry price point, or have they all just bought 360s?
Why is it frustrating for owners if they're still getting good games? And I'd say price and image problem.

claviertekky said:
Wonder if Sony will start cutting jobs in their gaming department because of the economy...

I can tell you right now that they're hiring significantly less interns then they normally do. This is in all departments.

mrklaw said:

It's mostly price, plus...to be honest, they didn't have the proven killer app this holiday season.

Gears 2 is a known quantity. Fable 2 is a known quantity.

LittleBigPlanet is unknown, Resistance 2 is a sequel to a mildly popular shooter, but certainly one that did not do amazingly well. MotorStorm 2 is unfortunately a game that most people overlook because racers aren't that big anymore, and people shrug off racing sequels in a very competitive month.

It's a great month for gamers, that's for sure. PS3 has had a spectacular lineup of games this year, but it didn't have enough proven big guns for the holiday season.

I know I'm going to get a "bbbuuuuu Just wait!!!" response, but 2009 should be stronger IF they can manage to deliver some key titles for the holiday season.

God of War 3 could be a huge title for them next year if it releases, but I have serious doubts that it will. My guess is that the earliest you will see God of War 3 is Spring 2010....so that basically leaves Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, MAG (if it releases), Gran Turismo 5, and TRICO (again, probably not going to be released until 2010).

If all or most of those games releases next fall, they'll have an excellent season. But if they're left with Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, gamers will love it, but unfortunately Nathan Drake isn't 600 pounds and doesn't wield a chainsaw so it won't be a big enough title for them.

Rand al Thor 19

J-Rzez said:
I meant it that it won't push out PS3's by the truck load, I meant it more that sadly enough for Sony, that is the biggest selling point for product hitting before xmas. But I wouldn't doubt that it does actually sell some PS3's due to people on the fence, perhaps the hard core gamers that will justify picking up one for Blu-Ray and for say Killzone 2. The Dark Knight was a huge box office title, and if Sony has any smarts what so ever, they'll start a mini-campaign for KZ2 in Dec as well to maybe get some people to buy it in advance for the movies and the couple AAA titles on the machine to hold them over until KZ2 (and the eventual GoW3, GT5, perhaps inFamous, etc).

SOCOM actually has a pretty hardcore following. I'm curious what it sold via Bundle and DL total. Other SOCOMs did sell over a million copies iirc. And people will buy it because it is SOCOM, despite it's handful of issues left atm.

But yeah, I wish LBP to sell more, but like others said, it only has a couple sales days under it's belt for the month, it's not a typical "hardcore genre" title, and will be a slow burn word of mouth title. And it deserves it as it maybe the most brilliant platformer out there.

KZ2 this, KZ2 that, KZ2 all the time..... is that all you talk about??? Everything you post about mentions KZ2 in it somewhere no matter how unreleated the topic is. I mean seriously, do you work for Sony or Guerrila??? Do you get paid for how many times you mention KZ2 a day???

freddy

Banned
mrklaw said:
frustrating for owners though. its a great little machine. game lineup is pretty competitive now. Is it just price thats holding it back, or does it now have some kind of image problem in consumers minds? Is there massive demand from old PS2 owners holding off due to the entry price point, or have they all just bought Wiis?

fixed that for you :D

Billen

Banned
Loudninja said:
360 had a great month,like others have said the PS3 really needs a price drop.

Very true, no matter what the cost for Sony. Not many I know who have bought one, and everyone else cites the price as the reason not to.

J-Rzez

Rand al Thor 19 said:
KZ2 this, KZ2 that, KZ2 all the time..... is that all you talk about??? Everything you post about mentions KZ2 in it somewhere no matter how unreleated the topic is. I mean seriously, do you work for Sony or Guerrila??? Do you get paid for how many times you mention KZ2 a day???

:lol

O.K. guy. I'll see if I can squeeze more KZ2 comments in the WoW threads just for you. It's a killer app that has impressed me to no end, and I adore shooters. It IS relevant to this discussion as it will push machines if you like it or not. "Everything" is a little much. You need to relax, go fill a tube sock or something.

And, to be clear, you're accusing me of being a viral marketer?

acm2000

Private Hoffman said:
It's mostly price, plus...to be honest, they didn't have the proven killer app this holiday season.

LittleBigPlanet is unknown, Resistance 2 is a sequel to a mildly popular shooter, but certainly one that did not do amazingly well. MotorStorm 2 is unfortunately a game that most people overlook because racers aren't that big anymore, and people shrug off racing sequels in a very competitive month.

It's a great month for gamers, that's for sure. PS3 has had a spectacular lineup of games this year, but it didn't have enough proven big guns for the holiday season.

I know I'm going to get a "bbbuuuuu Just wait!!!" response, but 2009 should be stronger IF they can manage to deliver some key titles for the holiday season.

God of War 3 could be a huge title for them next year if it releases, but I have serious doubts that it will. My guess is that the earliest you will see God of War 3 is Spring 2010....so that basically leaves Ucharted 2, Heavy Rain, MAG (if it releases), Gran Turismo 5, and TRICO (again, probably not going to be released until 2010).

If all or most of those games releases next fall, they'll have an excellent season. But if they're left with Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, gamers will love it, but unfortunately Nathan Drake isn't 600 pounds and doesn't wield a chainsaw so it won't be a big enough title for them.

so 2010 is year of the ps3 now? that makes 2009 another year for wii60 combo

Chrange

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

God of War 3 could be a huge title for them next year if it releases, but I have serious doubts that it will. My guess is that the earliest you will see God of War 3 is Spring 2010....so that basically leaves Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, MAG (if it releases), Gran Turismo 5, and TRICO (again, probably not going to be released until 2010).

If all or most of those games releases next fall, they'll have an excellent season. But if they're left with Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, gamers will love it, but unfortunately Nathan Drake isn't 600 pounds and doesn't wield a chainsaw so it won't be a big enough title for them.

Keep pushing those goalposts back. :lol

Zen said:
LBP wasn't even really available in October.
But, of course, fanboys have to jump at every opportunity to downplay the game because it's for the PS3.

Personally, 200k in what... 3-4 days (depending if you count Tuesday, the 28th) is damn good to me.

But alas, this and other posts with reason will fall upon deaf (and ignorant) ears.

Nocebo

J-Rzez said:

O.K. guy. I'll see if I can squeeze more KZ2 comments in the WoW threads just for you. It's a killer app that has impressed me to no end, and I adore shooters. It IS relevant to this discussion as it will push machines if you like it or not. "Everything" is a little much. You need to relax, go fill a tube sock or something.

And, to be clear, you're accusing me of being a viral marketer?
What does killer app mean?

ToxicAdam

sonycowboy said:
Many thanks to NPD as always for their continued support.

..........................................................PlayStation 3 190K

jif4h3.gif

acm2000 said:
so 2010 is year of the ps3 now? that makes 2009 another year for wii60 combo

You mean, another year for the Wii? Probably.

Because that system is selling more than both next-gen consoles combined, and more than twice 360 sales, even though the 360 is priced considerably cheaper now at 199 with a more compelling lineup (arguably).

White Man

domokunrox said:
Maybe. Was it available on Steam on day 1? Or was there some sort preorder discount? That could sway quite a bit of sales I think. None the less, I'm still interested in hard copy sales. Even if they scratch maybe 70-90k sales, thats a major victory for PC gaming.

It was on Steam day 1, but I do not think there was a preorder discount. It was also on D2D day 1.

I don't think you can really judge PC numbers these days without knowing the DD numbers. I think a significant proportion of PC gamers are on board with DD. I only buy games DD these days.

Nocebo said:
Why is it frustrating for owners if they're still getting good games? And I'd say price and image problem.

Because the more those good games sell the more good games we get. If sony keeps pumping in big money and keeps getting lacklustre returns how long are they going to contunue doing it for? The PS3 is doomed to always play second fiddle in multiplatform games. PS3 owners are paying their £45 $60 just like 360 owners.

LBP has had some big money spent on it, if resistance 2 doesn't do well then sony could potentially lose one of it's biggest assets in insomniac.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SapientWolf said:
Can someone explain that meme to me?

I think it will be something like:

[360 Fable 2] 575k
[360 Guitar Hero IV] 275k
[WII Wii Fit] 250k
[PS2 Guitar Hero IV] 200k
[WII Guitar Hero IV] 175k
[PS3 Little Big Planet] 150k

The people who wanted to spend $200 on plastic instruments probably already bought Rock Band, and LBP will have a small debut but long legs. Fable 2 is going to be the top seller for October.

My numbers were off but I got the gist of it right.

If Sony doesn't drop the price of the PS3 then there is a good chance that it will be outsold by the PS2 this Christmas.

Nocebo

Private Hoffman said:
You mean, another year for the Wii? Probably.

Because that system is selling more than both next-gen consoles combined, and more than twice 360 sales, even though the 360 is priced considerably cheaper now at 199 with a more compelling lineup (arguably).
Yes, compelling to whom?

sinnergy

The real question is, how long are developers going to support PS3, like they do now...

To me the PS3 really feels like N64/Cube in this department.

fizzelopeguss said:
Because the more those good games sell the more good games we get. If sony keeps pumping in big money and keeps getting lacklustre returns how long are they going to contunue doing it for? The PS3 is doomed to always play second fiddle in multiplatform games. PS3 owners are paying their £45 $60 just like 360 owners.

LBP has had some big money spent on it, if resistance 2 doesn't do well then sony could potentially lose one of it's biggest assets in insomniac.

Actually, LBP was made by a small team of only about ~20 people or so. And, to be quite honest, given their current marketing campaign, I don't think they spent much money on advertising either.

In terms of a financial success, LBP already is one with only 1 month (4 days) of sales.

And, even if Resistance 2 doesn't sell a ton, it will likely end up being one of their best sellers they've made. They manage to make a game every single year, so it's not like each game needs to be a blockbuster for them to do well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Coolio McAwesome said:
* I have no doubt that Nintendo was hoping for higher numbers from Wii Music, but I still think it's too early to call the game a complete bomb. Casual games don't track in the same way hardcore games do, and Wii Music will most likely retain moderate sales for several months. So-called hardcore games tend to disappear a lot faster. It's highly unlikely that the game will approach the level of success seen by other Wii-branded titles, but I certainly don't think we've seen the last of Wii Music. It's also worth noting that Nintendo themselves expected the game to sell slowly out of the gate.
Disappear my ass. It's not like stores are slashing prices to $5 in order to get rid of all those copies of Halo 3 no one wants. I think Saints Row 1 even ended back up on the NPDs a few months after GTAIV came out. No one bothers to track hardcore titles because they don't have to before they call the game a success.

Personally, I think Wii Music is a little too abstract for the mainstream audience it's going for. If it had shipped with a new peripheral (a keyboard maybe) it might have stood a better chance. People understand the concept behind a keyboard. I don't think people can really get Wii Music just by reading the promotional material. It might do a little over a million in sales over its lifetime, but I can guarantee that it will drop in price.

mrklaw said:
It's also image... people see hundreds of Xbox360 games in stores and much less PS3 games.
People see Xbox360 and PS3 games and they don't differ visually!

Why would they buy a PS3 if Xbox360 gives them more games to choose at a much lower price, and why would they buy a PS3 if they can waggle for much less money.

That's how consumers think.

legend166

chespace said:
I'm subsidized by MS. :lol Can't complain about the bi-weekly stipend, oh yes.

Please, get out of the fucking basement, kids.

Also, what good is winning a console war when your most ardent fanbase is starved for games?

You simply can't deny the fact that both 360 and PS3 ecosystems are very healthy for third-parties profits.
Nintendo Wii? Not so much comparatively. Good for sending Yamauchi to the heavens, yes, but not much else. :p

What the hell? I'm pretty sure any person who can read a financial report can deny that. EAs losing money hand over fist. Activision's profits are being driven by Guitar Hero and a MMO. Ubisoft's profits are making money from their DS lineup. Everyone else is pretty much losing money.

The 360 and PS3 ecosystems are very healthy for third party revenue.

Billen

Banned
I am one of the evil individuals that purchased Socom instead of the fantastic life changing experience that is LBP. Maybe it's because I was in the LBP beta, and I found the both the idea of creating bad levels as well as playing others bad levels immensely dull. So here I sit with my somewhat defunct Socom, and I still enjoy it way more than I enjoyed LBP. And I got a headset. Rejoice. Speaking of PS3 titles; how come the world doesn't understand the greatness of Valkyria Chronicles?

When it comes to the 360, I find the NXE faster and easier to use than the old worthless Dash, Fable II is fun and the console still sounds like a fucking jet engine.

Microsoft, why don't you ready up a new and improved (silent) version of the console as well as a controller with a decent D-Pad and release it as a counter to Sonys much needed price drop for the PS3? Because they refuse to lower the price? Daft buggers, aren't they? Good for you though.

Billen said:
I am one of the evil individuals that purchased Socom instead of the fantastic life changing experience that is LBP. Maybe it's because I was in the LBP beta, and I found the both the idea of creating bad levels as well as playing others bad levels immensely dull. So here I sit with my somewhat defunct Socom, and I still enjoy it way more than I enjoyed LBP. And I got a headset. Rejoice. Speaking of PS3 titles; how come the world doesn't understand the greatness of Valkyria Chronicles?

When it comes to the 360, I find the NXE faster and easier to use than the old worthless Dash, Fable II is fun and the console still sounds like a fucking jet engine.

Microsoft, why don't you ready up a new and improved (silent) version of the console as well as a controller with a decent D-Pad and release it as a counter to Sonys much needed price drop for the PS3? Because they refuse to lower the price? Daft buggers, aren't they? Good for you though.

Too bad. You're missing out on a great single player mode in LBP, tons of great user created levels, and an actual GOOD reason to use that headset. But whatever floats your boat.

Nocebo

Private Hoffman said:
Too bad. You're missing out on a great single player mode in LBP, tons of great user created levels, and an actual GOOD reason to use that headset. But whatever floats your boat.
Why do you say he's missing out? He said he has played it and didn't like it. What's to miss (for him)?

acm2000

Billen said:

you do realise new 360s are ALOT quieter thanks to the liteon drive, the console itself isnt very noisy either, my june 06 model isnt very loud with no disc in, and even with a disc in it is quieter than my 40GB ps3 when its fans kick up with a game thats pushing it more (uncharted)

Trevor360

Banned
you guys are reacting as if 190k is half its actual value. In all fairness, 200k is considered average or decent, the number is just polarized by the effects of 360s price cut and wii's pwnage. PS3 has seen much worse months. While certainly not good, this month was alright

Hammer24

Banned
My two cents:

Hardware
- Nice to see those Wii numbers. Nintendo is awesome just for bringing more and different kind of people to my favorite hobby, which can only help the industry longterm - and will thus lead to more awesome games.
- Good going for 360, thats what a price drop and a very good eoy games lineup does for you.
- As has been pointed out several times, Stringer is more interested in getting/keeping Sony profitable than in winning some mindless console wars only some random internet guys care about. 3rd place for PS3 is getting cemented that way.

Software:
- I´m very happy to see a Molyneux game sell so good. I do not even care if the game is awesome (what I think it is), I´m just happy to see him succeed.
- I´m totally amazed at the lack of GHWT/RB on the charts. Former iterations sold extremely well, so maybe its a sign of the overall economic downturn?
- Fallout3 is an amazing game I hope will continue at this pace throughout the holiday season.
- LBP, on sale for as long as Fallout3 in the NPD period, doesn´t look too hot in comparison. But its a casual game on the most hardcore (and most expensive) console. Let´s see if it can grow legs - alas I doubt it, taking the installed base into consideration.

PS: People, stop reacting to Hans (aka Snah, aka Hoffmann or whatever). Its just not worth it.
PPS: At least stop quoting him (/her, /it), otherwise ignore lists make no sense.

Billen

Banned
acm2000 said:
you do realise new 360s are ALOT quieter thanks to the liteon drive, the console itself isnt very noisy either, my june 06 model isnt very loud with no disc in, and even with a disc in it is quieter than my 40GB ps3 when its fans kick up with a game thats pushing it more (uncharted)

My PS3 makes no sound. Wrong fan model in yours? Anyhow, has there been attempts to measure the sound levels in the latest iterations of the console?

Edit: And yeah when it comes to the post below: The PS3 has a nice library at the moment. The pricing is the main issue now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think people need to stop harping on content as an issue for PS3. "If some key titles arrive in 2009 etc..."

Content is and was absolutely not an issue for PS3 this year. The line up this year has been very strong already, as strong or stronger (imo) as any other platform.

That's not the issue. Look at price, look at marketing and so forth. But don't say 'when x/y/z arrives..'.... because such great content is already here. It's difficult to imagine PS3 having a much stronger year in 09 content-wise than 08, and that's only because 08's been really good.

Nocebo

Hammer24 said:
PS: People, stop reacting to Hans (aka Snah, aka Hoffmann or whatever). Its just not worth it.
PPS: At least stop quoting him (/her, /it), otherwise ignore lists make no sense.
It's hard to reply / discuss with someone in a fast moving thread without quoting them. You're essentially saying noone should talk to this guy?

In all fairness, 200k is considered average or decent, the number is just polarized by the effects of 360s price cut and wii's pwnage. PS3 has seen much worse months. While certainly not good, this month was alright.
Average in what context? For a 3rd / 2nd place console? Yeah, I guess. But compared to what the ps2 used to do it probably isn't so good.

manueldelalas said:
Please stop the political crap, nobody cares if you United Stadians, or how the fuck are you called, worship your presidents; not a single soul in the rest of the world cares.

The only thing I know about your presidents is that Clinton likes sex, Bush likes beer, McCain likes war and Obama will be the first black president. Every president acts exactly the same and nothing will change.

On another note, can we get rid of the Obama avatars and political stuff in an international gaming forum?

Thanks.
Oh god you are so ignorant. :lol :lol

fernoca said:
To me Dead Space sales are actually higher than expected...
It wans't advertised, not even that many people even here got the game..it was rleeased in a really comptetitive month and still managed to make it to the Top 10 with just under 200k, ...and it's a new name/game...Silent Hill is more known and didn't made it...neither did FarCry 2.

Haven't read the entire thread yet (gonna take me all night!), but just wanted to emphasize this

Dead Space is STILL my game of the year! ...buy it people!

pswii60

manueldelalas said:
Please stop the political crap, nobody cares if you United Stadians, or how the fuck are you called, worship your presidents; not a single soul in the rest of the world cares.

The only thing I know about your presidents is that Clinton likes sex, Bush likes beer, McCain likes war and Obama will be the first black president. Every president acts exactly the same and nothing will change.

On another note, can we get rid of the Obama avatars and political stuff in an international gaming forum?

Thanks.

Still, I wonder how much all the posters calling you 'ignorant' actually know about your country and politics.

Top Bottom