• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Dural

Regulus Tera said:
As a Mexican, I can see where he is coming from and I kinda agree with him in regards to "United Statians".

That's a topic for another thread, though.

As a "United Statian" that is very political I also agree, a gaming forum isn't the place for political talk.

Iksenpets

Banned
manueldelalas said:
I know my english well and this forum is in english, thank you.

When someone calls himself "american" I imagine someone from America the continent, the same way I imagine someone who calls himself asian or european to be from Asia or Europe.
I'm american and I live in Chile.

But that is not the point; what really bothers me are the US political references in an international forum. I really dislike it, because I feel left out of the conversation...

That's the name of the country; see, if you are from Canada you are canadian, if you are from the United States you are _________.

American is a bit of a misnomer, but you have to understand that United Statesian just doesn't make any sense in English, so the somewhat inaccurate American works better than the grammatically nonsensical United Statesian.

But I don't get why you're offended by people sporting avatars of something that's clearly important to them. How is that any different from people using avatars of their local sports teams? I mean, you're free to use photos of Michelle Bachelet or Chilean flags all you like.

But anyway, super thread derail. WHOO NUMBERS.

donny2112

Puncture said:
The Wii's tie ratio is and has been going UP over time, not down, it is about 1.5 games below the 360 and above the PS3 ratio.

It has a strong chance of having gone down or stagnated this month with such high hardware sales. The PS3 might actually be above it in tie ratio, now.

DuckRacer

manueldelalas said:
I know my english well and this forum is in english, thank you.

When someone calls himself "american" I imagine someone from America the continent, the same way I imagine someone who calls himself asian or european to be from Asia or Europe.
I'm american and I live in Chile.

But that is not the point; what really bothers me are the US political references in an international forum. I really dislike it, because I feel left out of the conversation...

That's the name of the country; see, if you are from Canada you are canadian, if you are from the United States you are _________.
NeoGAF is a website owned and managed by someone from and in the US; the website's servers are also based in the US.

Stop whining about the discussion of US politics in a US forum.

Bizzyb

Banned
Orin GA said:

Lower Price
More Games
Better Online Game Network
Usually has the best Third Party version of games
More Timed Exclusives
Hardcore Following

Really, if you have a 360 there arent many incentives to go get a PS3.

And if people want something different they are gonna go to the Wii.

Unless you're a HUGE MGS4 whore who doesn't mind wasting $500
:D

*sigh*.....

rjcc

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2008/11/that-is-some-serious-decepticon.html

That Is Some Serious Decepticon Bullshit
From Sony's press release in response to the NPD numbers (thanks Kotaku):
LAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) continued its positive momentum in October, with 190K hardware units sold, a 90% growth year-to-date. This represents an increase of 56% when compared to October 2007, during which SCEA introduced a price cut for PS3.

Tell me they didn't just try to do that.

Take a look at this sentence:
This represents an increase of 56% when compared to October 2007, during which SCEA introduced a price cut for PS3.

They're not talking about the ACTUAL price cut, which came November 2. They're talking about the PRESS RELEASE on October 18 of last year announcing the price cut.

So really, they're comparing this year's sales to the month when no one bought a PS3 for the last two weeks unless they were clinically insane. In other words, it's the easiest possible compare imaginable. By the way the press release reads, though, you'd think October was the month when the actual price cut took place and tons of units were sold--the toughest possible compare.

That is some outstandingly high-level dickery.

You know when companies deceive? When they feel like they have to. That's all you need to know about how Sony perceives their own results for October.

Gotta put on a happy face in difficult times.

What is Sony going to say?

"Well we really dicked this one up, Kaz!"
"That's right, Jack, nobody gave a shit about us, just like last October!"

Dragon

Banned
Orin GA said:

Lower Price
More Games
More Timed Exclusives
Hardcore Following

Valkyria Chronicles. Fuck ya.

I have to deal with the Jets beating the Pats and then these shitty numbers by the PS3? What else could go wrong? Thank God Matt Cassel decided to do well for my fantasy team.

Pachael

Well, Wiiners are grinners, so while I'm happy to boost the Wii I'm also happy to kick Wii Music to the curb for its bomba sales.

If we're talking gameplay and 'oh there aren't X games for Wii', that doesn't reflect the buying habits of the public. The sales figures do: Lots of people buying the Wii, not as many buying the PS3.

Hawk269

WOW @ Fable 2
WOW @ 360 Hardware Sales
WTF @ LBP Sales
WTF @ PS3 H/W Sales

Seriously, LBP has been hyped to hell and back, reviews have been extremly strong and it only sells around 200k. I mean, Too Human almost did as well as LBP???

I do not care what Sony of the SDF say, they are in trouble and I am not sure what the real answer they have. Obviously a price change, but at the cost it takes them to make the PS3, they cannot do it.

Third parties are going to continue to take note, Fallout 3 on the PS3 did not even crack the top ten.

I am really happy to see Fable 2 do so well though. It is a great game and I hope these official numbers encourages some DLC for the game and antoerh version before the end of the 360 life-span.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Iksenpets said:
American is a bit of a misnomer, but you have to understand that United Statesian just doesn't make any sense in English, so the somewhat inaccurate American works better than the grammatically nonsensical United Statesian.

But I don't get why you're offended by people sporting avatars of something that's clearly important to them. How is that any different from people using avatars of their local sports teams? I mean, you're free to use photos of Michelle Bachelet or Chilean flags all you like.

But anyway, super thread derail. WHOO NUMBERS.

Urgh don't mention her, makes me sick =/.

Back on topic, great Wii sales, good 360 and bad PS3 IMO.

On the software side the 360 seems to be back on top for the holidays, but the big three Wii games are having really long legs.

The case of Wii Fit is amazing (blame it), a US$90 game that is selling so much. I've heard that (non)game is really difficult to find (sold 487k! wut?).

Fallout 3 and Fable 2 started good; LBP and SOCOM made it to the top ten also. still I think all of this games will fall of the top ten next month (except Fable maybe).

Good DS sales, but software is missing... R4 damage? (because the last DS game I saw was Guitar Hero, and that is because the game is nearly unplayable pirated, so pirates bought it (I think))

Need some Castlevania numbers.

Wii Music seems to have bombed.

fortune_wii.jpg

twinturbo2 said:
Why is Midnight Club LA not in the top ten?
It didn't have much of a chance. It had maybe 10 days (same as Fable 2), and there's definintely much more stiffer competition for just arcade racing (Pure/Motorstor/Burnout at the discounted price)

Sharp

I think it is worth noting that the combined Rock Band and Guitar Hero sales are around GH3's sales last year. I don't think the music market has shrunk, per se--although the economy has definitely taken a huge shit on expensive peripheral-based games--I just think the base is currently split between the two franchises. If WoW weren't recession-proof, Activision would probably be disappointed, of course.

Other numbers: Wii Music did better than it deserved but worse than it should have given the hardware sales. The shitty economy just reinforces the trend that was already there, for probably the rest of this generation Americans are going to be buying PS2s, Wiis, DSes, and PSPs. People will increasingly buy their games used, play free games online, or just pirate them. The PS3 is priced so far out of the market right now that I honestly expected it to do worse. Post-holiday numbers this year are going to be anemic, maybe even returning to the early 2007 ridiculousness. The 360's price drop seems to be paying off, though I haven't been keeping up with things so I have no idea whether Microsoft is actually making a profit on this venture.

Bizzyb said:
seriously? did you really expect the game to do well? It's a cutesy platformer, with huge emphasis on user created content....and it's on PS3.

Oh and it DOESN'T have guns or blood

I agree. Unless SONY had Nintendo, Activision-Blizzard, or EA quality advertising that game was destined to not do well. I know this is easy to say now, but I never expected it to be that big in the first place.

markatisu

I am surprised Activision has not released the breakdown, last year they were all over touting the GHIII sales, this year they have been very quiet on GH: Aerosmith and now GHWT but not GH: DS (which is almost at 1 million) so that should be an indicator of how hard the franchise has been hit I think

markatisu said:
I am surprised Activision has not released the breakdown, last year they were all over touting the GHIII sales, this year they have been very quiet on GH: Aerosmith and now GHWT but not GH: DS (which is almost at 1 million) so that should be an indicator of how hard the franchise has been hit I think

I call the "Street Fighter Syndrome" on this.

LBP did fine.

Real question is will it get into the homes of the non enthusiast?

Animal Crossing has come up in here. Did anyone expect it to sell what it has outside of JPN?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
manueldelalas said:
Urgh don't mention her, makes me sick =/.

Back on topic, great Wii sales, good 360 and bad PS3 IMO.

On the software side the 360 seems to be back on top for the holidays, but the big three Wii games are having really long legs.

The case of Wii Fit is amazing (blame it), a US$90 game that is selling so much. I've heard that (non)game is really difficult to find (sold 487k! wut?).

Fallout 3 and Fable 2 started good; LBP and SOCOM made it to the top ten also. still I think all of this games will fall of the top ten next month (except Fable maybe).

Good DS sales, but software is missing... R4 damage? (because the last DS game I saw was Guitar Hero, and that is because the game is nearly unplayable pirated, so pirates bought it (I think))

Need some Castlevania numbers.

Wii Music seems to have bombed.

Dont be decieved by the lack of DS software. It sells a shit ton under the radar

Owzers

Hawk269 said:
WOW @ Fable 2
WOW @ 360 Hardware Sales
WTF @ LBP Sales
WTF @ PS3 H/W Sales

Seriously, LBP has been hyped to hell and back, reviews have been extremly strong and it only sells around 200k. I mean, Too Human almost did as well as LBP???

I do not care what Sony of the SDF say, they are in trouble and I am not sure what the real answer they have. Obviously a price change, but at the cost it takes them to make the PS3, they cannot do it.

Third parties are going to continue to take note, Fallout 3 on the PS3 did not even crack the top ten.

I am really happy to see Fable 2 do so well though. It is a great game and I hope these official numbers encourages some DLC for the game and antoerh version before the end of the 360 life-span.

Now that you mention it i remember how much crap Too Human got for selling 168k. All the " America Decided" remarks. I think ~200k for a title you want to sell well is a lot more than ~200k for a title you want to bomb.

Funny how they wrote that little console off from the very beginning and in the end it ended up becoming the worst nightmare for developers and publishers alike with the real winner being Nintendo.

Tough luck next gen guys when Nintendo would have single handily created a new army of fans who will root for them for the next 2 decades.

how ironic

Bladerunner19.jpg

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
sillymonkey321 said:
Now that you mention it i remember how much crap Too Human got for selling 168k. All the " America Decided" remarks. I think ~200k for a title you want to sell well is a lot more than ~200k for a title you want to bomb.

Jesus Christ, LBP's SALES WERE ONLY RECORDED FOR A COUPLE DAYS. 200K IN A COUPLE DAYS IS VERY GOOD.

Sorry for the caps, but people are acting as though LBP released on October 1st, and thus, it had a month to generate sales. Don't worry. Again, it was released on October 28th.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
dirtmonkey37 said:
Jesus Christ, LBP's SALES WERE ONLY RECORDED FOR A COUPLE DAYS. 200K IN A COUPLE DAYS IS VERY GOOD.

Sorry for the caps, but people are acting as though LBP released on October 1st, and thus, it had a month to generate sales. Don't worry. Again, it was released on October 28th.

Same day as Fallout 3, no excuses there-

Yes Boss!

norinrad21 said:
Funny how they wrote that little console off from the very beginning and in the end it ended up becoming the worst nightmare for developers and publishers alike with the real winner being Nintendo.

Tough luck next gen guys when Nintendo would have single handily created a new army of fans who will root for them for the next 2 decades.
[/IMG]

Exactly,

All the chespaces and lukesmiths can write off this generation since they are subsidized by MS but next cycle is going to bite back. Those outfits will be making the niche games unless they plan ahead. MS and Sony aren't going to play to their hands at all...it is going to be ugly.

Yagharek

Orin GA said:

Lower Price
More Games
More Timed Exclusives
Hardcore Following

Really, if you have a PS3 there arent many incentives to go get a 360.

Works both ways, both systems have near identical libraries with a few stellar exclusives.

The main difference between 360 and PS3 is price - hence sales like this month.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
norinrad21 said:

how ironic

nes-console.jpg

History really is cyclic.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
ViperVisor said:
LBP did fine.

Real question is will it get into the homes of the non enthusiast?

Animal Crossing has come up in here. Did anyone expect it to sell what it has outside of JPN?

This.

And also, I <3 dubious quality blog. Always so spot on.

vilmer_

It looks like: Nintendo fans are just giddy that anything Playstation/Sony is low in sales, Microsoft tweens are just happy that they mean something (AND Playstation/Sony is low), and the ol' Playstation guard are wondering WTF has happened to the gaming legacy of the past decade. I want more :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Reposting with additional data:

Monthly Market Share Difference
DS: -1.75%
PSP: -1.91%
WII: +5.75%
360: +1.31%
PS3: -1.79%
PS2: -1.61%

Top Bottom