• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Haunted

Wii version of GH sold best? Oh, my.

Too bad the franchise is on its way out! Or so I hope.

John Harker said:
believe it or not, this is a new one
wait, what?

And Dragona, you should totally update your avatar to help Trauma Centre.

farnham

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

No way in HELL are sports games on the wii better then on a traditional console. (360/ps3). you are totally off here fella, no offense neither but your not much into sports gaming are ya?
yes im not a hardcore sports game guy.. and i never liked sports games that much.. but this gen on the wii.. i love me some sports game.. (gonna get MLB Power Pro soon btw)

Nocebo

Dragona Akehi said:
You know what is even funnier? I want about another three Wii games that are currently out right now, and they too are third party.
Half my wii library is third party. I'd have more if I had more time to play games.

Threi

notag
EmCeeGramr said:
guitar hero is a non-game now, like wario ware
Also the Wii userbase is bigger so its not much of an accomplishment.

When Wii 3rd party software sells more than 360 3rd party software with a smaller userbase call me. Until then this means nothing.

NOTHING!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, the numbers this month are really depressing simply due to the insane Wii sales.

Fortunately, software sales don't really seem all that hot on the Wii. Only a select few titles seem to be lighting up the sales charts and most of those titles are very casual experiences. The effect of the Wii on the market hasn't been as negative as I had expected for this very reason. Games that appeal to those of us who prefer something with more substance continue to see release on more capable platforms and push decent numbers while similar software on the Wii just doesn't seem to be selling. As with every generation, the best selling games on a Nintendo platform are Nintendo games. This time, however, they are more unique than ever. The software they release is not something other companies could seemingly duplicate and succeed with.

So, basically, Nintendo is making money as usual, but in greater quantities via not so typical Nintendo software. I can't imagine most hardcore Nintendo fans being truly pleased with the success of stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Play. Are these the types of games that old school Nintendo fans fell in love with Nintendo over?

Dragona Akehi said:
Sam and Max Season One, here. If you don't have it for PC or Wii already, I'd recommend it even though there are a few technical issues.

I will sure do, thanks. You might try Order Up! I loathe cooking games, but this one is intriguing and feels more like a complete game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Threi said:
Also the Wii userbase is bigger so its not much of an accomplishment.

When Wii 3rd party software sells more than 360 3rd party software with a smaller userbase call me. Until then this means nothing.

NOTHING!

Oh yeah well...

notag!

Deal with it

ZeoVGM

Banned
dark10x said:
Wow, the numbers this month are really depressing simply due to the insane Wii sales.

Fortunately, software sales don't really seem all that hot on the Wii.

You sound pathetic.

Link

The Autumn Wind
dark10x said:

Fortunately, software sales don't really seem all that hot on the Wii. Only a select few titles seem to be lighting up the sales charts and most of those titles are very casual experiences. The effect of the Wii on the market hasn't been as negative as I had expected for this very reason. Games that appeal to those of us who prefer something with more substance continue to see release on more capable platforms and push decent numbers while similar software on the Wii just doesn't seem to be selling. As with every generation, the best selling games on a Nintendo platform are Nintendo games. This time, however, they are more unique than ever. The software they release is not something other companies could seemingly duplicate and succeed with.

So, basically, Nintendo is making money as usual, but in greater quantities via not so typical Nintendo software. I can't imagine most hardcore Nintendo fans being truly pleased with the success of stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Play. Are these the types of games that old school Nintendo fans fell in love with Nintendo over?
How many times are you going to make essentially the exact same post at every opportunity? Honestly, at this point, I could set my watch to it.

Log4Girlz

TheExodu5 said:
I think you're ignoring the 40+ million PS2 owners out there. To many them, the Playstation brand is where they play there games. It was the same with GC and Xbox owners, but obviously, their userbases were far smaller, so the power is not near as large.

Also, I said price is an important factor. Don't think that they're mutually exclusive though. The $400 PS3 vs. the $300/$400 360 outsold it with help of it's brandpower. Check consumer electronics polls, and ask uninformed gamers who owned a PS2, and they think the PS3 is the greatest console out there. I'm not saying it's all gamers, but there's a segment of the population that doesn't follow the console popularity contest, so sales up until now have not had much of an issue. These are also the users that buy mainly multiplatform content: sports games, licensed titles, etc...

But now, the thing is, this brand loyalty will lose some power over time. Why? Well people are getting a 360 for the multiplatform in favor of the better price. Then, they're telling their friends who haven't bought a console yet to pick up a 360 so they can play with them. Since the 360 userbase has expanded faster than the PS3, this word-of-mouth will have a larger effect. Many of these people persuaded by word of mouth might have been PS2 owners, and have been persuaded thanks to the size of the userbase, and the low price point.

The only brand out there with any remaining power to the uninformed is the Playstation brand. Why? Because that's where the bulk of the uninformed gamers were. The original Xbox had mostly gamers that were interested in Xbox specific franchises. Sure, there were people who bought an Xbox for sports games, but most bought it for Halo. The bulk of these people have already moved on to the 360. The Sony systems have far less weight on their exclusives. Yes, their exclusives sell decently well, but not to the extent that Halo did on the 360. Because of that, these users are simply tied to the Playstation brand, and not the games themselves. This means that, while these users would prefer to keep with the Playstation brand, they're not attached to any Playstation franchises that will tie them to that system exclusively. This makes it dangerous for Sony, because these are users that can easily be persuaded to move on to the 360. And with the current userbase and price point for the 360, they're much more likely to do so.

P.S. I haven't really thought this post through, and was mostly brainstorming as I was writing, so there may be some conflicting statements...I don't know. :lol

This is not an insult to anyone, but TONS of uninformed gamers are picking up Wii's lol.

Weisheit

dark10x said:

facepalm.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No way in HELL are sports games on the wii better then on a traditional console. (360/ps3). you are totally off here fella, no offense neither but your not much into sports gaming are ya?

Tiger Woods '09 Wii >>>>>>>> any other system.

I for one would like to applaud HK-47 for his win of the internet. There was a lot of competition for that prize!

Me, I put my raffle tickets in for the soap and oils basket.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I for one would like to applaud HK-47 for his win of the internet. There was a lot of competition for that prize!

Me, I put my raffle tickets in for the soap and oils basket.

I call shenanigans and mod favouritism!

Struct09

I think November will be a better month to gauge the success of GHWT. It only had a few days worth of sales in October, and it's aimed at a crowd that doesn't always buy their games day one.

Fallout 3 and LBP both had impressive sales considering how late they came out in the month. Also, I'm surprised Wii Music didn't break the top ten. It will be interesting to see if the game has legs like other Wii branded games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dark's a joke character right? No one is that pathetic of a nerd as to say he's DEPRESSED if a VIDEO GAME is selling well. .... Right?

yoopoo

Banned
omg rite said:
Dark's a joke character right? No one is that pathetic of a nerd as to say he's DEPRESSED if a VIDEO GAME is selling well. .... Right?
:lol

Probably grew up in the Playstation generation.

Haunted

omg rite said:
No need to get rude, he's a likable enough guy.

Just misguided, sometimes.

edit: fired up and ready to go.
2096hl3.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, I think people mistook my post. I'm not ACTUALLY depressed about it. :p I hoenstly couldn't care less. If anyone thought I was truly serious about this, they need to sit back and think about it for a second.

Posting this kind of stuff is usually fun for the crazy discussions that ensue, but the responses here are pretty childish and uninteresting (just like Nintendo). :D

How many times are you going to make essentially the exact same post at every opportunity? Honestly, at this point, I could set my watch to it.
Haven't written a word about it in months. :D

Just checked in to confirm and, yep, just as expected. Wii console sales are insane and software sales are centered around casual Nintendo made games.

omg rite said:

I admit to being enough to a pathetic nerd to be happy if certain games do not sell well, since this usually provides a couple of hours worth of GAF-hilarity.

Threi

notag
omg rite said:
nah hes cool.

he gets the Threi seal of approval.

which has more worth than the Haunted seal of approval btw

omg rite said:

Dark's bias towards the almighty pixel is well documented, and you'll never hear otherwise out of him.

The joke, my friend, is on you.

Haunted

Threi said:
nah hes cool.

he gets the Threi seal of approval.

which has more worth than the Haunted seal of approval btw
:eek:

*removes Haunted seal of approval from Threi* I'll take that back, sir.

Grecco

TheExodu5 said:
I think you're ignoring the 40+ million PS2 owners out there. To many them, the Playstation brand is where they play there games. It was the same with GC and Xbox owners, but obviously, their userbases were far smaller, so the power is not near as large.

Also, I said price is an important factor. Don't think that they're mutually exclusive though. The $400 PS3 vs. the $300/$400 360 outsold it with help of it's brandpower. Check consumer electronics polls, and ask uninformed gamers who owned a PS2, and they think the PS3 is the greatest console out there. I'm not saying it's all gamers, but there's a segment of the population that doesn't follow the console popularity contest, so sales up until now have not had much of an issue. These are also the users that buy mainly multiplatform content: sports games, licensed titles, etc...

But now, the thing is, this brand loyalty will lose some power over time. Why? Well people are getting a 360 for the multiplatform in favor of the better price. Then, they're telling their friends who haven't bought a console yet to pick up a 360 so they can play with them. Since the 360 userbase has expanded faster than the PS3, this word-of-mouth will have a larger effect. Many of these people persuaded by word of mouth might have been PS2 owners, and have been persuaded thanks to the size of the userbase, and the low price point.

The only brand out there with any remaining power to the uninformed is the Playstation brand. Why? Because that's where the bulk of the uninformed gamers were. The original Xbox had mostly gamers that were interested in Xbox specific franchises. Sure, there were people who bought an Xbox for sports games, but most bought it for Halo. The bulk of these people have already moved on to the 360. The Sony systems have far less weight on their exclusives. Yes, their exclusives sell decently well, but not to the extent that Halo did on the 360. Because of that, these users are simply tied to the Playstation brand, and not the games themselves. This means that, while these users would prefer to keep with the Playstation brand, they're not attached to any Playstation franchises that will tie them to that system exclusively. This makes it dangerous for Sony, because these are users that can easily be persuaded to move on to the 360. And with the current userbase and price point for the 360, they're much more likely to do so.

P.S. I haven't really thought this post through, and was mostly brainstorming as I was writing, so there may be some conflicting statements...I don't know. :lol

You are absolutely right there was a huge chuck of uninformed mainstreamy type gamers on PS2. Problem is they arent really that loyal to brands, but to games. Typical PS2 franchises, Madden, Guitar Hero, and mainstreamy type games COD, Assassins Creed are selling much better on X360. Theres a shift, maybe not a total one but the shift is there. Both X360 and Wii have eaten parts of the typical PS2 marketshare. I also still think that perception has permeated the mainstream a heck of alot more than you give it credit, and a typical Sony fan seing FF13 announced for X360 through Game Informer or whatever source of information they use will not be as loyal anymore.

In regards to anectodal evidence, or polls, i dont really put much belief in that. I do think the Sony Brand is stronger in Europe than the US but thats not really relevant for NPDs now is it.

dark10x said:
Are these the types of games that old school Nintendo fans fell in love with Nintendo over?

This is pathetic...maybe you'd have a point if SSBB, MKWii and SMG weren't all multimillion sellers but, at the moment, you just seem bitter at the Wii selling so much and stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Play selling well. If those games don't come at the cost of sales of "real" games I could care less how well they do.

The fact of the matter is the "types of games that old school Nintendo fans fell in love" are still being made by Nintendo. Look at the number of Wii series games compared to traditional games released by Nintendo this gen (oh wait, that would invalidate whatever point you were trying to make) and you'd see they're easily outnumbered by traditional titles. Look at Nintendo's future releases that have been announced (and displayed), Wii Sports Resort vs Punchout Wii, Sin & Punishment 2 (publishing), Another Code, and a number of other titles

dark's good people. He's got a quirk, but it's a well-explained one that he supports quite well, and he's nothing if not consistent and relatively unbiased in the application of that quirk. I think he's a good contributor to discussion around here in general.

Top Bottom