• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

donny2112

Maybe the ranking was given by an NPD rep who just ordered by units (i.e. not combining SKUs), but the total given was the combined SKU number. It could be that Wii had the highest individual SKU, but the 360 was higher combining SKUs.

Just guessing here. *shrugs*

jibblypop

Banned
That is a big mix up in the MTV article. Either way though, Guitar Hero is definitely seeming to garner less interest this year.
I think releasing all those mid-year stop gap editions like Aerosmith and Rock the 80s might have tarnished the franchise and created less anticipation for the yearly installments.

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
Maybe the ranking was given by an NPD rep who just ordered by units (i.e. not combining SKUs), but the total given was the combined SKU number. It could be that Wii had the highest individual SKU, but the 360 was higher combining SKUs.

I agree that the #18 part may be "#18 best-selling single SKU". The labels on the data I got from NPD are pretty clear: combined SKUs, unit sales.

Amir0x

Banned
No I don't like Excite Truck (in large part due to my hatred of holding the controller with its awkward weight distribution and shape and tilting and rudimentary course design) and I never got Blast Works but it seemed like a big gimmick with substantially less skill-requirement than a good hardcore shmup. Like a shmup for casuals or something.

donny2112

Private Hoffman said:
I think the PS3 will be on a lot of Christmas wishlists. The system has a great library and functionality with Blu-Ray.

But, perhaps due to the economic climate, those potential PS3 sales will go to the 360.

If it was on a wish list due to Blu-Ray, a shifted sale would probably just go to a standalone Blu-Ray player for ~ half the price.

FrankT

donny2112 said:

That was about the only explanation I could think of as well.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Flying_Phoenix said:
"Revolutionary" I really don't see the Wii as a revolution but more so as something different provided through the controller and/or the low cost development enviornment, and games like Wii Sports, SSX Blur, Trauma Center, No More Heroes, and Zack and Wiki really delivered that through me.
It is revolutionary for people who never stepped into the PS1/PS2 era and who have no desire to get used to a regular controller or people who are plain intimidated by video games. For me it is the difference between owning a console and being able to share the experience with my wife and friends and family and just playing games alone on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In terms of why the Wii can't satisfy "hardcore gamers" well that's easy, because nothing can. As elitists people always want something better. I mean think about it people were complaining about the PS2 last generation and are currently complaining about the Nintendo DS.
I disagree with the notion that "hardcore gamers" can't be satisfied. While it's fun to nitpick for sure, that doesn't mean many of us are not satisfied. There have been plenty of games in 2008 alone where I feel truly satisfied upon completing it. Of course, like any form of media, you're going to want something else of similar quality upon completing whatever it was that you've just completed. There's nothing unique about that and it applies to all entertainment industries.

Personally as a stand alone console I don't think the Wii isn't that great, but seriously what "hardcore gamer" only owns one platform? The Wii greatly compliments my high end gaming PC and the DS and it arguably has the best line-up (line-up means games only on the Wii) amongst the other 2 console (due to them having such similar libraries and sharing the majority of their games).
That is without a doubt the best way to view the Wii (for me). I also believe it would make a poor standalone platform, but it is an awesome complement to other machines. It works as a great machine on its own for those who don't consider gaming a hobby and just want to have a little fun. The barrier to entry is MUCH lower.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm wondering, has this NPD month made anyone else finally accept that PS3 is 3rd? People compare it to Gamecube sure, but really what's wrong with that? GC had awesome exclusives and so does PS3. I've finally come to terms with the fact that it might sell like crap, and the perception on message boards might not be so great. As long as there are games that I and many other fans love on the system, that's all that matters.

So anyway I just want to congratulate 360 and Fable II for doing so well this month. VERY well deserved.

donny2112 said:
If it was on a wish list due to Blu-Ray, a shifted sale would probably just go to a standalone Blu-Ray player for ~ half the price.

If they didn't want game functionality as well, true. Combined, it's a compelling value.

poppabk

Amir0x said:
No I don't like Excite Truck (in large part due to my hatred of holding the controller with its awkward weight distribution and shape and tilting and rudimentary course design) and I never got Blast Works but it seemed like a big gimmick with substantially less skill-requirement than a good hardcore shmup. Like a shmup for casuals or something.
Its the Little Big Planet of schmups. Or as it came out first, LBP is the Blast Works of platformers. It is as easy or hard as the designers make it.

nicknick

Souldriver said:
I'm sorry, since I shouldn't gloat about these things, but I'm so happy that Wiimusic does so poorly.

This sort of thinking always seems to happen with the super casual Nintendo games. I don't think Nintendo has anything to worry about with Wii Music. Going from past experience, it will sell at a smallish-but-decent rate and eventually prove to be a very big success.

Watch.

test_account

XP-39C²
Private Hoffman said:
PS2 sold ~180k last October, and then sold ~500k the following November.

Barring an inconsistency with regards to the number of weeks, PS3 should sell in the high 400ks or low 500ks.

If it's in the 300ks, that will be really, really bad.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) I wonder if the PS3 can manage to hit somewhere between 400-500k in November. I hope for Sony's sake that the PS3 will do well in November (and in December for that matter). I think it will be interesting to see the NPD results in the next 2 months :)

I figure one of the Wii SKUs was the lead (of all 12 SKUs), but the combined SKUs for the 360 version beat out the combined SKUs for the Wii version.

Go Kirby!

edit:
Donny2112 said:

Beaten.

Bigfoot

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'll admit that I'm even surprised that RB2 360 fell out of the top 20 when they also added the bundle this month.
It probably means that RB is only adding to its "platform" for existing owners instead of adding new owners to the platform. Since most of the purchases came from the stand-alone disc last month, it's safe to say that the people buying RB2 already have RB1. With GH:WT, there isn't the option to just buy the disc unless you are a guitar-only player, or if you already have and want to use the RB instruments. It will be interesting to see if Activision gets more full band bundles out there and if it charts next month. Right now the full band bundle is sold out everywhere, but the game and guitar + game bundles are available.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
I am going to come out guys.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
RE4: Wii Edition
Wario: Shake It
Chocobo Dungeon

The problem I have, is that almost nothing on that list *needs* waggle. A lot of it would have been better on a machine with more oomph (eg the capcom stuff), and the rest is mostly Nintendo milked franchises which all Nintendo fans would have bought regardless of how their console was designed.

Its like there are two parallel Wii universes - the one where casual gamers are buying it and playing nothing but wii sports and wii fit and wii play, and the one where all the old gamers are buying it and the core games just like they bought the gamecube and the N64 before that.

Its widening the market sure, but thats only relevant (IMO) if those new consumers then progress to trying out the occasional new game. If most of them stay as passive players of just the console and its pack-in, then it isn't really growing the market, just growing Nintendo hardware shipments.

Is there a breakdown of software sales somewhere that shows the growth of sales over the last few years, and the portion of that which is related to Wii? I'd like to see just how much Wii has affected software growth, not just hardware sales

yoopoo

Banned
dabookerman said:
Wii Music had poor poor poor sales today.
Did about 4 times what Wario did in the first month.

If Reggie brought over Day Of Distar with the advertising budget of Wii Music it probably would've done at least twice as much.

Mindlog

Speaking of the 'downturn' in music games. I wonder how many pants are browning over at MTV/Harmonix after the 'generous' contractual terms they came to with Apple on the Beetles game. Did Apple dick around too long to get on board the plastic music hype train?

Private Hoffman said:
I think the PS3 will be on a lot of Christmas wishlists. The system has a great library and functionality with Blu-Ray.

But, perhaps due to the economic climate, those potential PS3 sales will go to the 360.
Wow, just wow dude. You just keep hoping.

mrklaw said:
The problem I have, is that almost nothing on that list *needs* waggle. A lot of it would have been better on a machine with more oomph (eg the capcom stuff), and the rest is mostly Nintendo milked franchises which all Nintendo fans would have bought regardless of how their console was designed.

Its like there are two parallel Wii universes - the one where casual gamers are buying it and playing nothing but wii sports and wii fit and wii play, and the one where all the old gamers are buying it and the core games just like they bought the gamecube and the N64 before that.

Its widening the market sure, but thats only relevant (IMO) if those new consumers then progress to trying out the occasional new game. If most of them stay as passive players of just the console and its pack-in, then it isn't really growing the market, just growing Nintendo hardware shipments.

Is there a breakdown of software sales somewhere that shows the growth of sales over the last few years, and the portion of that which is related to Wii? I'd like to see just how much Wii has affected software growth, not just hardware sales
Yes and many 360/PS3 games can be played with a NES controller. It's called progression.

poppabk

mrklaw said:
The problem I have, is that almost nothing on that list *needs* waggle.
That is kinda like saying that the PC doesn't *need* mouse/KB. Its true, but the control method is definitely one of the things that sets the PC apart.

Amir0x

Banned
mrklaw said:

I know what you mean. That was part my point. They're fine, but they're fun DESPITE the waggle... not because of it. So the Wii library is objectively decent, but not necessarily meeting its stated "revolutionary" mission statements. It's just existing right now.

To expand...

poppabk said:
That is kinda like saying that the PC doesn't *need* mouse/KB. Its true, but the control method is definitely one of the things that sets the PC apart.

...the difference is mouse/KB generally improves many genres, but insofar as my list and the games on it the movement is pretty neutral. Occasionally helps some games, occasionally distracts, occasionally no movement at all. It's all a very big wash at the moment, I certainly feel perfectly fine without the controls and often prefer not having them

OldJadedGamer said:
If you don't have hope... what else is there? Acceptance? There is no place for that on game forums.
I give up, you win.

Amir0x said:
...the difference is mouse/KB generally improves many genres, but insofar as my list and the games on it the movement is pretty neutral. Occasionally helps some games, occasionally distracts, occasionally no movement at all. It's all a very big wash at the moment, I certainly feel perfectly fine without the controls and often prefer not having them
Yeah I'm sure it is really fun to play Trauma Center with a traditional controller.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amir0x said:

but you cannot say NONE of those on your list benefit from it. TC1&2 and Boom Blox at least do.

Grecco

Amir0x said:
i didn't say NONE on my list benefited, i clearly said some did :p

Is it really nececary that all of them benefit? A good comparison would be well the DS. Not Every game uses the touchscreen, not every game benefits from it, but maybe they benefit from the two screens, or the wifi for instance. Similarly maybe wagle doesnt benefits all these games but maybe the pointer does, ect.

Yeah I'm sure it is really fun to play Trauma Center with a traditional controller.

I would rather cut my hands off

Mindlog said:
Speaking of the 'downturn' in music games. I wonder how many pants are browning over at MTV/Harmonix after the 'generous' contractual terms they came to with Apple on the Beetles game. Did Apple dick around too long to get on board the plastic music hype train?
Not much of a downturn, Rockband is just eating into GH sales.

Anerythristic said:
I can't believe MS can't secure more 3rd party exclusives.

Mark my words, third parties will have killed one of the 2 HD platforms by the end of next year, it costs too much money (especially in the current climate) to keep making games for both. I don't know which platform will lose favour, Microsoft has the lead and a cheaper unit, but Sony has proven they can sell a lot of units and has a business model that shows longevity.

In my opinion we will see third parties backing either the PS3 or 360 next year, exclusives galore, it will be fun on here.

Sadist

Makes me kind of wonder about my Wii games...

Wii Sports
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Dragonball Z Bukokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
SSX Blur
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil the Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic & the Secret Rings
No More Heroes
Rockstar Presents Table Tennis
Zack & Wiki
Red Steel
Okami
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Boom Blox
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Bully Scholarship Edition

Only Rayman Raving Rabbids and Red Steel weren't that fun. I do agree with Amir0x though. A real blockbuster is missing. Allthough, I have to say that some (<--- look at the bolded, people. Read the bolded part) these titles were more entertaining then some blockbusters I played. Oh well...

kinggroin

Banned
Amir0x said:
However, this is my point where I admit perhaps I am a little overly harsh on the Wii in retrospect.

I think a lot of us are/were. However, I believe it to be more due to what, as hardcore gamers, we expect(ed) out of this console. Sure it has a good overall selection of games, but so did the cube. The Wii was supposed to be something that transcended that; so it seems we've merely gotten used to just "good enough".

We know the potential, and deep down inside, MANY of us want to see it fully realized (motion plus?).

Basically Amir0x, we hate outta love :D

DuckRacer

Another problem with RB and GH are the whoring of both platforms. Three Rock Band games (AC/DC, RB1, and RB2) released within a year, and five GH games released within a year (GHA, GH3, GHWT, the two DS games). Then you have GH Metallica and the Beatles game coming next year, along with the inevitable RB3, GH5, fourteen On Tour sequels, etc. And there's the rumored GH Hendrix.

And then there's the knockoffs like Rock Revolution and that Disney game.

A lot of this shit needs to stop.

szaromir

Banned
travisbickle said:
Mark my words, third parties will have killed one of the 2 HD platforms by the end of next year, it costs too much money (especially in the current climate) to keep making games for both. I don't know which platform will lose favour, Microsoft has the lead and a cheaper unit, but Sony has proven they can sell a lot of units and has a business model that shows longevity.

In my opinion we will see third parties backing either the PS3 or 360 next year, exclusives galore, it will be fun on here.
Of course they won't do that, they'll firmly support both. Going exclusive for either console would mean abandoning 20M+ of additional potential customers - in other words enlarging the risk of already risky projects. Marketing, which takes as much money as development, costs the same whether you release the game on one or two platforms.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amir0x said:
i didn't say NONE on my list benefited, i clearly said some did :p

but you were responding to mrklaw... who I now notice said ALMOST none benefit, so nevermind either way!

Owzers

travisbickle said:

Whatttttttttttt.

And Motorstorm Pacific Rift didn't make the top 20. It will be intersting if the next Need for Speed can still be a breakout hit or if its days are finally over.

I fear for Banjo Kazooie N&B's life next month.

Excite Truck is awesome, awesome, awesome.

I think the game really came into its own when I used the custom soundtracks though. I put a lot of ridiculous rock on there and tried to time my jumps and landings to key moments in the song. The game took on a life of its own at this point :D

Still one of my most-played games this gen.

Luckyman

Banned
Wii sold 800k. Still got owned by both consoles in the software top 20.

There must be so many random shovelware games that people buy so is just dosen't even register.

Duck said:
Another problem with RB and GH are the whoring of both platforms. Three Rock Band games (AC/DC, RB1, and RB2) released within a year, and five GH games released within a year (GHA, GH3, GHWT, the two DS games). Then you have GH Metallica and the Beatles game coming next year, along with the inevitable RB3, GH5, fourteen On Tour sequels, etc. And there's the rumored GH Hendrix.

And then there's the knockoffs like Rock Revolution and that Disney game.

A lot of this shit needs to stop.
It'll only stop if either one of them stops, which either one won't. They're going to milk this cow dry til it just tilts and tips 'n stumbles to earth.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Luckyman said:
Wii sold 800k. Still got owned by both consoles in the software top 20.

There must be so many random shovelware games that people buy so is just dosen't even register.

Top 10 is everything that isnt shovelware, heard it here first!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Amir0x said:
I am going to come out guys.

I'm coming out of the closet:

Wii isn't so bad.

EMERGENCY!! HE IS DYING!!

Amir0x said:
Yesterday Dragona posted a little comment that I was a little surprised I could find little to criticize in her list of games. That there may, in fact, be sixteen Wii games of merit is probably not altogether unsurprising. It's just that there needs to be a bit of modification to my various arguments about the system.

When I went through my list of games, I found that I could certainly gather sixteen games I like.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
RE4: Wii Edition
Wario: Shake It
Chocobo Dungeon

Now there is actually very little filler in this list. They're all very fun, engaging experiences and outside of a few of the ports (RE4 Wii, HotD1+2, Trauma Center 1), most are original for Wii.

QUICK, TRY THE DEFIBRILLATOR!

Amir0x said:
Now putting aside the ever extending argument about Nintendo's own development houses, gimped on a never ending cycle of Mario whoring and franchise slutting, the entire library of Wii has games worth playing.

And the central truth is that we hardcore gamers require WAAAAAY too many games to satisfy.

But the other truth, the other legitimate criticism, is that for a 'revolution' almost none of the games I've listed are revolutionary. They're almost all extremely routine revisits or franchise extensions, and nothing at all to support the systems original bold claims. Maybe for MotionPlus? I think we call this "missing a killer APP." For me, not for soccer moms. Fuck soccer moms and their Wii Sports crappery.

Outside of Super Mario Galaxy, most of the games are fun if not unremarkable. I guess this is where I find difference with, say, 360 library where I find most visual enhancements and AI enhancements and physics enhancements more valuable at the moment than most wiimote enhancements.

However, this is my point where I admit perhaps I am a little overly harsh on the Wii in retrospect. You only get this once.

OKAY WE ARE GETING SOME REACTION!

Amir0x said:
Oh, and Wii Music is fucking atrocious.

GREAT JOB GUYS, HE WOKE UP!

sillymonkey321 said:
And Motorstorm Pacific Rift didn't make the top 20.

I fear for Banjo Kazooie N&B's life next month.
Yeah, Motorstorm crashed and burned. The writing is on the wall for Banjo (and always has been).

Top Bottom