• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

jett

D-Member
36l.jpg

That is really sad for Sony considering all the effort and production values they've been pumping into their first party games.

jett said:
36l.jpg

That is really sad for Sony considering all the effort and production values they've been pumping into their first party games.
They only have themselves to blame.

The worst part of this, kiddies? It's only going to get WORSE from here.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
GitarooMan said:
I'm amazed at the amount of bitter Nintendo fanboys who got the world domination they want but are still unhappy because Nintendo doesn't get the undying loyalty and respect of every gamer for changing the world.

Bittersweet symphony. That's life.

legend166

Amir0x said:
I am going to come out guys.

I'm coming out of the closet:

Wii isn't so bad.

Yesterday Dragona posted a little comment that I was a little surprised I could find little to criticize in her list of games. That there may, in fact, be sixteen Wii games of merit is probably not altogether unsurprising. It's just that there needs to be a bit of modification to my various arguments about the system.

When I went through my list of games, I found that I could certainly gather sixteen games I like.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
RE4: Wii Edition
Wario: Shake It
Chocobo Dungeon

Now there is actually very little filler in this list. They're all very fun, engaging experiences and outside of a few of the ports (RE4 Wii, HotD1+2, Trauma Center 1), most are original for Wii.

Now putting aside the ever extending argument about Nintendo's own development houses, gimped on a never ending cycle of Mario whoring and franchise slutting, the entire library of Wii has games worth playing.

And the central truth is that we hardcore gamers require WAAAAAY too many games to satisfy.

But the other truth, the other legitimate criticism, is that for a 'revolution' almost none of the games I've listed are revolutionary. They're almost all extremely routine revisits or franchise extensions, and nothing at all to support the systems original bold claims. Maybe for MotionPlus? I think we call this "missing a killer APP." For me, not for soccer moms. Fuck soccer moms and their Wii Sports crappery.

Outside of Super Mario Galaxy, most of the games are fun if not unremarkable. I guess this is where I find difference with, say, 360 library where I find most visual enhancements and AI enhancements and physics enhancements more valuable at the moment than most wiimote enhancements.

However, this is my point where I admit perhaps I am a little overly harsh on the Wii in retrospect. You only get this once.

Oh, and Wii Music is fucking atrocious.

I just wanted to say HOLY CRAP.

There's still things not in that list that should be there Ami, like EXCITE TRUCK and PES 08 (If you like Soccer).

DeaconKnowledge said:
They only have themselves to blame.

The worst part of this, kiddies? It's only going to get WORSE from here.
Sure, whatever, but it's still really sad. So many great games they've put out, yet it's not really apparent in software sales. :/

Sadist

‘Wii Music’ U.S. Launch Sales One Tenth Of ‘Wii Fit’ Debut Mark, Nintendo Not Panicking

First month sales of Nintendo’s newest Wii-branded game, the ambitious and unusual “Wii Music,” released last month fell far short of the mark set by May’s “Wii Fit” in its first month. But Nintendo is not expressing concern yet.

“You’ll see in [the NPD sales] that it did about somewhere [like] 65 or 66,000 based on our internal numbers for the two weeks that was reported,” Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo’s executive vice president of sales and marketing, told Multiplayer in an interview at the New York Grand Hyatt yesterday.

By comparison, NPD reported that “Wii Fit” sold more than 687,000 copies in its first month of sale. These aren’t blockbuster numbers, but Dunaway offered an explanation for the game’s performance: “We’re predicting that it’s going to be an evergreen title. And if you look at titles like ‘Brain Age,’ it’s about the same as what ‘Brain Age’ did during it’s first few weeks and went on to sell 2.5 million copies. ‘Wii Fit’ certainly had a larger launch than that. But I think that people are starting to understand ‘Wii Music.’”
In general, Nintendo hardware and software is hot. The Wii sold more than 800,000 units in October. “Wii Play” sold 282,000 copies, according to NPD. “Mario Kart Wii” sold 290,000. And “Wii Fit” tallied another 487,000 units that month. Those games do have legs, having each been on the market for months. (The new “Guitar Hero” for Wii also performed well, selling more than 183,000 units and easily outselling “Wii Music” despite coming out two weeks later.)

“Wii Music,” which has received harsher reviews from critics from the average Nintendo title, could just be a harder sell. “People have a box in their head of what music genre games are all about,” Dunaway said. “And we’re doing something that is a complete departure from that. As people start to experience that and tell other people about it, I have no doubt that ‘Wii Music’ is going to be a long-selling, top-selling game for us.”
Dunaway expressed a personal goal for selling the game: “I feel as EVP of sales and marketing, [it is] both a responsibility and a real opportunity and privilege to take this game that is so unique and so much from the heart of Mr. [Shigeru] Miyamoto, and make sure that people are exposed to it and understand it.” To that end, Dunaway said Nintendo has been showcasing “Wii Music” with local musicians around the country and is working with schools and an organization representing 100,000 music educators in America to integrate the game into a music education curriculum.

So if anyone compares “Wii Fit” launch sales to “Wii Music” sales and deem the latter a failure, they’d be wrong? “They’d be off-base to say that,” Dunaway said. “Very few of our titles are launch-and-move-on these days. Certainly something like ‘Wii Music,’ we have a long-term commitment to.”

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/14/wii-music-sales-one-tenth-of-wii-fit/

Don't quote my avatar

legend166

mrklaw said:
The problem I have, is that almost nothing on that list *needs* waggle. A lot of it would have been better on a machine with more oomph (eg the capcom stuff), and the rest is mostly Nintendo milked franchises which all Nintendo fans would have bought regardless of how their console was designed.

See, I don't agree. Here's the list:

Endless Ocean - Ok, can use regular controller
Trauma Center 1 - Needs pointer
Trauma Center 2 - Needs pointer
Super Mario Galaxy - Experienced improved by pointer, but can use regular controller
Boom Blox - Needs pointer/motion
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - Can use controller, improved by motion
Metroid Prime III - Vastly improved by pointer
Super Paper Mario - Can use regular controller
Fire Emblem - Does it even use the wii remote?
Ghost Squad - Needs pointer
HotD1+2 - Needs pointer
Geometry Wars Galaxies - Can use regular controller
Zack & Wiki - Needs pointer/motion
RE4: Wii Edition - VASTLY improved by pointer
Wario: Shake It - Haven't played, but could use regular controller
Chocobo Dungeon - Same as above

So that's 10/16 that need or are improved by the use of the Wii Remote. I do think this was the intention. I do agree that as far, most of the great control stuff is coming from the use of the pointer (the pointer is so awesome and the most underrated thing ever). I hope that motion plus really brings the motion into it, and I think it will.

Also, that list is missing PES 08 which due to the pointer is made into the best soccer game of all time.

Just another thing - that list shows that the Wii does provide a whole bunch of different software in comparison to the HD twins.

Rur0ni

Back in the day, I was bitter. Clutching my GCN (only console) and hoping Sony (rather the Playstation brand) would die. I have since moved on from that.

Just looking at the gaming catalog, the PS360 is where it's at. I do own a Wii, but it's been collecting much much dust. Sure, Big N is ballin' out of control, but really what does that do for me now now? Shovelware and crap lookin' games. I can't even wrap my head around a Wii only 'hardcore' gamer. Nintendo has largely abandoned us.

Though I am a primarily PC gamer, the PS3 has enough games out/coming that warrant a purchase. And I will when I can afford to do it, upgrading the PC takes precedence. The 360 is solid, but with a good PC it isn't necessary. I do like that PC games and 360 games are developed together, makes everyone happy enough. Capcom has embraced that.

Looking forward... performance parts will be soooo cheap. 2GB of memory (DDR2) is throw away material ($25?). In bulk and without a module, it would be cheap.

My one worry is PC gaming in 2011-2016. Will consoles limit the PC? Will people be willing to make super PC games that won't play nice on a console?

Eteric Rice

Rur0ni said:
Back in the day, I was bitter. Clutching my GCN (only console) and hoping Sony (rather the Playstation brand) would die. I have since moved on from that.

Just looking at the gaming catalog, the PS360 is where it's at. I do own a Wii, but it's been collecting much much dust. Sure, Big N is ballin' out of control, but really what does that do for me now now? Shovelware and crap lookin' games. I can't even wrap my head around a Wii only 'hardcore' gamer. Nintendo has largely abandoned us.

Though I am a primarily PC gamer, the PS3 has enough games out/coming that warrant a purchase. And I will when I can afford to do it, upgrading the PC takes precedence. The 360 is solid, but with a good PC it isn't necessary. I do like that PC games and 360 games are developed together, makes everyone happy enough. Capcom has embraced that.

Looking forward... performance parts will be soooo cheap. 2GB of memory (DDR2) is throw away material ($25?). In bulk and without a module, it would be cheap.

My one worry is PC gaming in 2011-2016. Will consoles limit the PC? Will people be willing to make super PC games that won't play nice on a console?

You need to take that out with Ubisoft and Activision.

And the other shovelware people of course.

To your second point, this is pretty likely. PC hardware changes all the time, while consoles are static. Considering that most of their money is coming from consoles, you can expect to see a sort of roadblock; tech wise, in the PC gaming world.

Bizzyb

Banned
Rur0ni said:

More like 3rd parties have (ignorantly so) abandoned Nintendo.

Seriously, What awesome 3rd party games released this year for Wii?? I mean something on the level of Fable or Fallout? That's right. Don't blame Nintendo. Nintendo has put out Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy Zelda and Metroid (along with a ton of other quality 2nd tier titles). That's WAY more than anyone one 3rd party has done so far.

Maybe when 3rd parties get their heads out of their asses and actually decide to support Wii with quality product we will see some 3rd party titles in the 10 list, but until then, don't bank on it. And don't blame Nintendo.

3rd parties could have OWNED this holiday season, but no, they ****ed up. 2 years in the game and they are still sleeping on Wii.

Bizzyb said:
More like 3rd parties have (ignorantly so) abandoned Nintendo.

3rd parties could have OWNED this holiday season, but no, they ****ed up. 2 years in the game and they are still sleeping on Wii.

Didn't Nintendo sell their machine as an inexpensive to make games on fun party game machine to developers? Was it not in all of their marketing materials? So don't blame third parties for giving the machine exactly what Nintendo asked for.

dwin45

Bizzyb said:
Hopefully this continues. I just sold my Wii and never want to have a reason to buy the system again.

I'm too lazy to bother finding Amirox's post to quote it, but do we really have to have all game innovatively utilize just the Wiimote to be fun?

This was a criticism of the DS way back in the day that I just couldn't understand "Yeah well, these games don't need the DS to be good". So what? All this means is that the DS has good, traditional games in addition to the quirky ones that can only be done with the system. Now we have a platform in the DS that is kicking ass the likes of which we haven't seen in possibly the life of gaming as a hobby. And people are STILL incredulous as to why it sells.

This is why I can't conclude that some people can't conclude that the Wii can't be a persons only system. Yes, it's missing a ton of Blockbusters the 360 and PS3 have exclusively, but there are also a metric ton of games they do have, in addition to the games that are ONLY found on the Wii. Yet here we are still finding gaffers shocked that Guitar Hero sold the most on Wii, or people are actually fucking with the Wii versions of CoD, PES, Madden, Guitar Hero and Rock Band. "How could this be? HD graphics and hard drive space trump waggle clearly!" Except they don't.

This is the problem I have with "hardcore gamers" (including myself). We have a definition of what gamers want and exclude everything that rests outside said conclusion. The harsh reality for GAF and the industry and whole it seems is that the Wii doesn't HAVE to innovate to be popular. It has games people want, in droves. It's not as confined to pre-conceived notions as to what's good and what isn't by the top 5 percent that pays such close attention to things like this. Average gamers don't worry about how much the game they're playing innovates.

Redd

Count Dookkake said:
Thanks, guys, for the excellent thread. Not quite like the glory days of the dawn of the generation, but close enough.

Can't wait for next month!

:lol

Those really were good times. This thread is a decent substitute though.

Warm Machine said:
Didn't Nintendo sell their machine as an inexpensive to make games on fun party game machine to developers? Was it not in all of their marketing materials? So don't blame third parties for giving the machine exactly what Nintendo asked for.
Because Nintendo hasn't released a single Core oriented title for the system?

Nintendo set the bar, and developers have largely flew well under that bar. Few even trying to pull themselves over it.

WiiSports is a better game then the vast majority of 3rd party releases. Better visuallly, conceptually, in all areas WiiSports shit on your average 3rd party release and WiiSports is far from the best game released by Nintendo on the Wii.

Nintendo set the bar, but so very few of the development community has even tried to hit let alone exceed the bar set by WiiSports.

Dunlop

ViperVisor said:
I'm glad Wii is Wii. Nintendo should of done some things better but I'll take it. I want the effect of the Wii to be a hamstringing of the industry not a kneecapping.

Why would you want this, the old model was to sell to the consumer at a LOSS (i.e sick value for the money tech wise), big budget AAA titles. How does the rising costs of the studio's affect you as a consumer outside of the extra $5-$10 a game?

You rather the AAA fist party title only system with everyone else throwing every flash made POS game they can at the system? I'm lucky that my kids are so young that they truly enjoy shitty titles like Cosmic Family but I dread if this becomes the industry norm

Fredescu

Bizzyb said:
Seriously, What awesome 3rd party games released this year for Wii?? I mean something on the level of Fable or Fallout?
Fable is first party. This year would have to include Boom Blox and de Blob, both of which were awesome. The Wii loses heavily by comparison to the glut of games out for other systems right now. Seriously, the amount of good stuff that has come out over the last couple of months is dizzying. A lot of it has been first party too. Nintendo gave us a great 07 and a very poor 08.

DeaconKnowledge said:
This is why I can't conclude that some people can't conclude that the Wii can't be a persons only system.
I don't think anyone denies that a Wii can be a persons only system. Being a gamers only system is another thing entirely.

Amir0x said:
I am going to come out guys.

I'm coming out of the closet:

Wii isn't so bad.

Yesterday Dragona posted a little comment that I was a little surprised I could find little to criticize in her list of games. That there may, in fact, be sixteen Wii games of merit is probably not altogether unsurprising. It's just that there needs to be a bit of modification to my various arguments about the system.

When I went through my list of games, I found that I could certainly gather sixteen games I like.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
RE4: Wii Edition
Wario: Shake It
Chocobo Dungeon

Now there is actually very little filler in this list. They're all very fun, engaging experiences and outside of a few of the ports (RE4 Wii, HotD1+2, Trauma Center 1), most are original for Wii.

Now putting aside the ever extending argument about Nintendo's own development houses, gimped on a never ending cycle of Mario whoring and franchise slutting, the entire library of Wii has games worth playing.

And the central truth is that we hardcore gamers require WAAAAAY too many games to satisfy.

But the other truth, the other legitimate criticism, is that for a 'revolution' almost none of the games I've listed are revolutionary. They're almost all extremely routine revisits or franchise extensions, and nothing at all to support the systems original bold claims. Maybe for MotionPlus? I think we call this "missing a killer APP." For me, not for soccer moms. Fuck soccer moms and their Wii Sports crappery.

Outside of Super Mario Galaxy, most of the games are fun if not unremarkable. I guess this is where I find difference with, say, 360 library where I find most visual enhancements and AI enhancements and physics enhancements more valuable at the moment than most wiimote enhancements.

However, this is my point where I admit perhaps I am a little overly harsh on the Wii in retrospect. You only get this once.

Oh, and Wii Music is fucking atrocious.

What? Huh? What time is it? What year is this!? WHERE AM I?!!! OH GOD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON!!??

Thunder Monkey said:
Because Nintendo hasn't released a single Core oriented title for the system?

Nintendo set the bar, and developers have largely flew well under that bar. Few even trying to pull themselves over it.

WiiSports is a better game then the vast majority of 3rd party releases. Better visuallly, conceptually, in all areas WiiSports shit on your average 3rd party release and WiiSports is far from the best game released by Nintendo on the Wii.

Nintendo set the bar, but so very few of the development community has even tried to hit let alone exceed the bar set by WiiSports.

What other console is Nintendo going to release their core games on? The 360? Come on, they have no choice and Nintendo knows they can make $$$ of them because they have the audience.

Did they or did they not set the system up to be a unique, family friendly, low cost development platform? Hey, I'll agree that Wii Sports it better than 95% of the third party games on the console and in doing so sent out a loud clear message to publisher that said..."more of this please" No wonder Fable II isn't dropping on the console. A publisher readying a 20 million core game for the machine is going against what the entire console and much of its audience and impetus stands for.

Fredescu said:
I don't think anyone denies that a Wii can be a persons only system. Being a gamers only system is another thing entirely.
Depends on what you want from your games really.

Unequivocally, the 360/PS3 has the larger lineup this fall. I just don't see the quality disparity. There are more Wii games out this fall that I will buy, then there is 360/PS3 titles that I might buy.

If you don't like shooters, or first person oriented games the PS3 and 360 lineups looks completely barren.

Eteric Rice

Warm Machine said:
What other console is Nintendo going to release their core games on? The 360? Come on, they have no choice and Nintendo knows they can make $$$ of them because they have the audience.

Did they or did they not set the system up to be a unique, family friendly, low cost development platform? Hey, I'll agree that Wii Sports it better than 95% of the third party games on the console and in doing so sent out a loud clear message to publisher that said..."more of this please" No wonder Fable II isn't dropping on the console. A publisher readying a 20 million core game for the machine is going against what the entire console and much of its audience and impetus stands for.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with the wave of shovelware being thrown at the console monthly?

The Wii is a console that was made to attempt to bring in new gamers to a market filled with the same people. They tried to expand it. It has nothing to do with casuals or whatever. They tried to set up a system like the DS, where both types of games can exist. And both types of games CAN and DO exist on the platform.

Seriously, this Wii trolling bullshit is old. You can't excuse companies like Ubisoft and Activision, so please don't even try.

Fredescu

Thunder Monkey said:
Depends on what you want from your games really.

Unequivocally, the 360/PS3 has the larger lineup this fall. I just don't see the quality disparity. There are more Wii games out this fall that I will buy, then there is 360/PS3 titles that I might buy.

If you don't like shooters, or first person oriented games the PS3 and 360 lineups looks completely barren.
We had the quality argument a few pages back. How many gamers would own a Wii and not a DS? I bet not many.

Yes Boss!

Fredescu said:
We had the quality argument a few pages back. How many gamers would own a Wii and not a DS? I bet not many.

Those two would definitely be enough to satisfy, especially considering access to VC.

Warm Machine said:

Except for those millions and millions of people buying the Core oriented titles on the system right?

RE4Wii is a port, and it's outsold a completely new Capcom game for the 360.

There is money in the nongame arena, but the more crap they release in that style, the less likely people are to buy them.

The system doesn't just sell "nongames" it sells a whole buttload of games, and even sells Core games better then the other platforms. FPS are the only arena that doesn't hold true.

DeaconKnowledge said:
This is the problem I have with "hardcore gamers" (including myself). We have a definition of what gamers want and exclude everything that rests outside said conclusion. The harsh reality for GAF and the industry and whole it seems is that the Wii doesn't HAVE to innovate to be popular. It has games people want, in droves. It's not as confined to pre-conceived notions as to what's good and what isn't by the top 5 percent that pays such close attention to things like this. Average gamers don't worry about how much the game they're playing innovates.

Which is one of the reasons the Wii's success is independent of the 360's. It's pretty clear that consumers who choose the Wii are making their decision based upon an entirely different criteria and thus a sale for the Wii does not equal -1 for 360. It simply adds to the market a wholly new group, increasing overall revenue for the industry (well... for ninty). And if these people become more familiar with video games because of the Wii and then a certain percentage decide to try more "traditional" fare everyone wins.

I will never by a Wii because I hate practically every game on it (never liked Nintendo's first party fair). But it's an obvious positive for the industry and doesn't threaten the hardcore subset at all.

I know people will probably jump on this as a slight against the Wii, but I find it has much more in common with devices like the DS than the 360 to the point that they augment each other in an industry wide sense, not strictly competing dollar for dollar against each other.

Fredescu said:
And we had the argument a few pages before your few pages.

I still come back and see people spouting off the same untruths pages later.

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, but what does that have to do with the wave of shovelware being thrown at the console monthly?

The Wii is a console that was made to attempt to bring in new gamers to a market filled with the same people. They tried to expand it. It has nothing to do with casuals or whatever. They tried to set up a system like the DS, where both types of games can exist. And both types of games CAN exist on the platform.

Seriously, this Wii trolling bullshit is old.

I'm not trolling the system just reiterating Nintendo's own mantra that they sold to publishers and developers. They were right too, you can't take that away from them. Shovelware is the responsibility of the publishers but a lot of it falls under the low cost low development time Nintendo sales pitch even though Nintendo could NEVER be quoted as saying low quality which is a side effect of the the first two if not managed properly.

When it comes back to the two co-existing, did Nintendo even show core games in the first few waves of Wii previews or make them a major focus? It will take a long time for a ship to come around once pushed in a certain direction. Nintendo got the ship moving in one primary direction and if they even want it to change course which I don't think they do or care to it would take a collosal effort to do so now.

Nintendo tried to expand the market sure, but what did they try to expand the market with is the question. It sure wasn't another Mario game or another Zelda because all that is doing is firing a BB at a freight train. Wii Sports was the focus and that is what blew the doors off and publishers are still chasing down that success on the console because they know that the core gamer success can be found elsewhere even if it costs them more money.

Meier

With the lack of information that is released these days, I'm always shocked at how heavily discussed the NPD threads are...

Eteric Rice

Warm Machine said:
I'm not trolling the system just reiterating Nintendo's own mantra that they sold to publishers and developers. They were right too, you can't take that away from them. Shovelware is the responsibility of the publishers but a lot of it falls under the low cost low development time Nintendo sales pitch even though Nintendo could NEVER be quoted as saying low quality which is a side effect of the the first two if not managed properly.

When it comes back to the two co-existing, did Nintendo even show core games in the first few waves of Wii previews or make them a major focus? It will take a long time for a ship to come around once pushed in a certain direction. Nintendo got the ship moving in one primary direction and if they even want it to change course which I don't think they do or care to it would take a collosal effort to do so now.

Nintendo tried to expand the market sure, but what did they try to expand the market with is the question. It sure wasn't another Mario game or another Zelda because all that is doing is firing a BB at a freight train. Wii Sports was the focus and that is what blew the doors off and publishers are still chasing down that success on the console because they know that the core gamer success can be found elsewhere even if it costs them more money.

Erm, if I remember correctly, the very first preview of the Wii featured games like Project H.A.M.M.E.R, Red Steel, and Metroid Prime, Zelda, Disaster, and Final Fantasy CC.

There were a few more casual games, but nothing that wasn't pretty common in Japan at the time.

So no, I'd say Nintendo didn't push the casual agenda. They did push for lower costs and a system that anyone could try, but they didn't say anything about moving away from core. That seemed to have happened later as Wii Sports took off. Publishers saw the love for that game. About a year or so after, publishers started trying to make Wii Sports clones.

Warm Machine said:

Oh come on.

High budget core games have often done exceptional on the Wii - just look at the sales of Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Red Steel, RE4: Wii Edition, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Super Smash Bros, Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Sonic and the Secret Rings, etc for instance, which have all sold over a million.

There's a definite core audience for the system, but so few publishers are taking the risk, instead deciding to keep putting the AAA games on 360/PS3 and putting much smaller games on the Wii. There's a reason why this month's top 10 is so 360 and PS3 orientated - it's because the only good games were released for those consoles. Wii got the shaft and it shows.

I think publishers need to develop a balance between the two. They should NOT stop putting AAA games on the 360/PS3 - after all, it's these games that are selling phenomenally well this generation, so why would they stop? What they should do is give the Wii some attention as well. There's an absolute gold mine waiting for them - it's destined to very soon outsell the 360 and PS3 combined. What's stopping them from tapping into such a massive market? After all, you don't know how something will turn out until you've actually tried it, and evidence shows that great core games can sell very good numbers on Nintendo's console.

Meier said:
With the lack of information that is released these days, I'm always shocked at how heavily discussed the NPD threads are...
To keep conversations going all we need are the hardware numbers sadly. This is an explosive NPD thread. It had kind of leveled off for a while there. It's because of me though. I haven't posted much in the last two threads and they ended up dying off fairly quick.

I'm back = big thread.

You're welcome.

Xisiqomelir said:
Dragona, buy Valkyria!

Already bought, and it actually arrived a few days ago. Haven't had time to play yet though. Hopefully sometime this weekend I'll get a chance.

dark10x said:
I actually agree with you 100%. :D That was a perfect post.

I absolutely do not hate the system and never have. Internet personas do tend to color opinions, but in reality, I think the Wii is a very decent system with some great games on it. As you say, however, most of the games that appeal to people like you and I aren't really anything that would require the unique control scheme of the Wii. Basically, I feel that those great games actually suffer as a result of the weaker hardware. Of course, we've been down this road many times before, so don't bother responding. :p The fact that someone believes another platform could do something more with a concept doesn't mean that platform is crap. I certainly wouldn't consider the Wii to be crap by any means.

I'm happy to own one and I really enjoyed a lot of the experiences I've had with it.

Call me when PS360 can do Trauma Centre. I'll be first in line. :p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hey I wouldn't say third parties completely blew it on the Wii this year. We did get Boom Blox and that was great fun.

Meier said:

Actually quite a few of the arguments and discussions here would be BECAUSE of the lack of information - for example, Wii software sales in general.

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh come on.

High budget core games have often done exceptional on the Wii - just look at the sales of Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Red Steel, RE4: Wii Edition, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Super Smash Bros, Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Sonic and the Secret Rings, etc for instance, which have all sold over a million.

Yes Core games sell well, just try to convince a publisher of that.

I go into a board room at EA and present my plans for an epic RPG or Sci Fi game. After the demonstration I say that I think it should be a Wii game. They will probably say that they think this is a better fit for PS360.

Parl

Haunted said:
Damn, Sony is fucked.
What I find most impressive about those graphs is that one publisher (Nintendo) on its own had sold nearly as much software in the first 23 months on Wii, as all third party publishers combined did on 360 in those first 23 months. This is the 360 here. While not as big of a software juggernaut as Wii in the US, it has been known as a great place for third parties.

Of course, Wii third party software sales were higher, launches aligned, and that's with significantly less investment, so it ain't a fair comparison, is heavily biased towards 360 when making any conclusions about the ability of each platform to sell third party games.

Nintendo has proven that when you make high quality games on Wii, they sell. Good games sell and flop on all three current gen platforms, especially the low budget ones.

Amir0x

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Don't blame Nintendo. Nintendo has put out Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy Zelda and Metroid (along with a ton of other quality 2nd tier titles).

To shift the argument a bit, nobody sees a problem with this?

The other day we were going through Nintendo's first party lineup for Wii, and the amount of stuff that relies on, say, Mario to sell is really obscene. I know Nintendo fans can absorb that shit like the spongey fanboys they are, and they love hugging their Princesss Peach plushies, but Mario's world and universe has been abused to hell. Why do they need to always plaster him in every product they make or at least in some way relate him?

Smash Bros., Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Baseball, Wario Ware, Wario Shake, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Party 8, Dr. Mario WiiWare... this is just the first two years of the system.

My other argument about Wii has always been that Nintendo themselves don't put in the required effort to push NEW HARDCORE IPs alongside their traditional franchises or their non-gamer garbage. Who knows how much money they put into advertising Wii Music... but if they put some of that same effort into establishing a new hardcore IP, it must just thrive. They have so much fucking money, yet Microsoft and Sony are practically shitting out compelling new hardcore IPs (or at least attempting new shit), while Nintendo just whores the old crap and dedicates new resources to WII-FUCKING-HORRIBLE-MUSIC.

You guys remember Disaster and Captain Rainbow? What a great advertising campaign, saying nothing about the game until like three days before release!

And frankly, those don't even have remotely near the effort of even one of Nintendo's "midline" franchises, like Metroid.

Top Bottom