• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Struct09 said:
To be fair, it was released right at the end of October, and the main crowd for the game aren't the type that necessarily buy games day one. I bet we'll see GHWT in some form in the top 10 for November.

It did nearly catch up to RB2 (total across SKUs) within just a few days of sales.

It also has two more platforms to sell to though.

Amir0x

Banned
I am going to come out guys.

I'm coming out of the closet:

Wii isn't so bad.

Yesterday Dragona posted a little comment that I was a little surprised I could find little to criticize in her list of games. That there may, in fact, be sixteen Wii games of merit is probably not altogether unsurprising. It's just that there needs to be a bit of modification to my various arguments about the system.

When I went through my list of games, I found that I could certainly gather sixteen games I like.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
RE4: Wii Edition
Wario: Shake It
Chocobo Dungeon

Now there is actually very little filler in this list. They're all very fun, engaging experiences and outside of a few of the ports (RE4 Wii, HotD1+2, Trauma Center 1), most are original for Wii.

Now putting aside the ever extending argument about Nintendo's own development houses, gimped on a never ending cycle of Mario whoring and franchise slutting, the entire library of Wii has games worth playing.

And the central truth is that we hardcore gamers require WAAAAAY too many games to satisfy.

But the other truth, the other legitimate criticism, is that for a 'revolution' almost none of the games I've listed are revolutionary. They're almost all extremely routine revisits or franchise extensions, and nothing at all to support the systems original bold claims. Maybe for MotionPlus? I think we call this "missing a killer APP." For me, not for soccer moms. Fuck soccer moms and their Wii Sports crappery.

Outside of Super Mario Galaxy, most of the games are fun if not unremarkable. I guess this is where I find difference with, say, 360 library where I find most visual enhancements and AI enhancements and physics enhancements more valuable at the moment than most wiimote enhancements.

However, this is my point where I admit perhaps I am a little overly harsh on the Wii in retrospect. You only get this once.

Oh, and Wii Music is fucking atrocious.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Not really. It's not good, but it's not terrible. It's just in comparison to Wii and 360 that it seems so low.

190K is around typical Xbox sales numbers in October, and PS2 was usually 70-85% higher than Xbox.
Ah ok. I wasnt really sure what the sales usually were like in October when it comes to the hardware sales, so i had to ask :) Ye, in comparison to the Wii and the Xbox 360 hardware sales the PS3 hardware sales looks kinda low, i agree to that.

190k for Xbox and about 70-85% higher for the PS2, sounds like the Xbox 360 and the PS3 changed places compared to the Xbox and the PS2 hehe :)

Thanks for the answer! :)

Barrett2

szaromir said:
Gamasutra has Top 20
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21117
08-october-top-20.gif

Sorry if old.

Wii Music super BOMB confirmed. :lol

It's a damn shame Castlevania: OOC isn't on this list. Easily one of the best games released last month. :(

test_account

XP-39C²
botticus said:
PS3 will do fine relative to those in November.

Code:
	2001	2002	2003	2004	2005	2006
Xbox	720k	470k	480k	700k	200k	5k
GC	660k	440k	750k	350k	270k	70k

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067
Wow, the Gamecube sold pretty well in November in it's 3rd year. The Xbox also did it pretty good i would say. Looking at these number i think that the PS3 will sell something around 300-350k (or maybe 400k) in November). Thanks for the numbers and the answer! :)

Sadist said:
Well, MTV MP Blog told that the Wii version of GH WT was sold the most. You prove otherwise. Now I'm curious.
Do we know the SKU breakdown? (i.e. does NPD represent the Band Kit, Guitar Kit, stand-alone as one or separately). It's really hard to know anything about total GHWT sales without knowing the combined sales for each platform.

botticus

test_account said:
Wow, the Gamecube sold pretty well in November in it's 3rd year. The Xbox also did it pretty good i would say. Looking at these number i think that the PS3 will sell something around 300-350k (or maybe 400k) in November). Thanks for the numbers! :)
If I'm not mistaken, 2003 was the $99 Mario Kart bundle when I jumped in.

Edit: Nope, that was 2004. Not sure why the spike then.

donny2112

Amir0x said:

Wii isn't so bad.

Yesterday Dragona posted a little comment that I was a little surprised I could find little to criticize in her list of games. That there may, in fact, be sixteen Wii games of merit is probably not altogether unsurprising. It's just that there needs to be a bit of modification to my various arguments about the system.

When I went through my list of games, I found that I could certainly gather sixteen games I like.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
Chocobo Dungeon

Now there is actually very little filler in this list. They're all very fun, engaging experiences and outside of a few of the ports (RE4 Wii, HotD1+2, Trauma Center 1), most are original for Wii.

Now putting aside the ever extending argument about Nintendo's own development houses, gimped on a never ending cycle of Mario whoring and franchise slutting, the entire library of Wii has games worth playing.

And the central truth is that we hardcore gamers require WAAAAAY too many games to satisfy.

But the other truth, the other legitimate criticism, is that for a 'revolution' almost none of the games I've listed are revolutionary. They're almost all extremely routine revisits or franchise extensions, and nothing at all to support the systems original bold claims. Maybe for MotionPlus? I think we call this "missing a killer APP." For me, not for soccer moms. F*** soccer moms and their Wii Sports crappery.

Outside of Super Mario Galaxy, most of the games are fun if not unremarkable. I guess this is where I find difference with, say, 360 library where I find most visual enhancements and AI enhancements and physics enhancements more valuable at the moment than most wiimote enhancements.

However, this is my point where I admit perhaps I am a little overly harsh on the Wii in retrospect. You only get this once.

I hope you'll be able to find more games in 2009 to fit your taste. :) This fall is pretty barren, but 2009 has a lot of potential for core games. Based on your list, I'm going to guess that you're already anticipating HotD:Overkill?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SOMEONE GET AN EXORCIST! AMI IS POSSESSED!

The power of HD compels you! THE POWER OF HD COMPELS YOU!

szaromir said:
“Guitar Hero: World Tour,” across all platforms, sold 534,000 copies combined, according to NPD. The Wii version, however, sold best, accruing 183,000 copies sold. Comparatively, “Rock Band 2″ sold 363,000 copies on Xbox 360 alone in September.

If NPD’s top list extended further, the Wii version would have been 18 of 20.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/14/guitar-hero-wii-sales/

o_O

What's right? ^^

test_account said:
Wow, the Gamecube sold pretty well in November in it's 3rd year. The Xbox also did it pretty good i would say. Looking at these number i think that the PS3 will sell something around 300-350k (or maybe 400k) in November). Thanks for the numbers and the answer! :)

PS2 sold ~180k last October, and then sold ~500k the following November.

Barring an inconsistency with regards to the number of weeks, PS3 should sell in the high 400ks or low 500ks.

If it's in the 300ks, that will be really, really bad.

FrankT

poppabk said:
This doesn't match the info we got earlier. Strange.

Well and it could be that NPD broke down the SKUs, which I thought we were supposed to get combined SKUs. I could be wrong though.

Captain Smoker said:
“Guitar Hero: World Tour,” across all platforms, sold 534,000 copies combined, according to NPD. The Wii version, however, sold best, accruing 183,000 copies sold. Comparatively, “Rock Band 2″ sold 363,000 copies on Xbox 360 alone in September.

o_O

What's right? ^^

Well that placement kind of presents a problem there now. Eh, not sure.

donny2112

botticus said:

$99 price drop in October 2003. GameCube actually was on the edge of being considered in shortage by the end of December in the U.S. After 6 months where they had to stop production because the system just wasn't selling enough worldwide, it was a big turnaround.

Private Hoffman said:

Barring an inconsistency with regards to the number of weeks, PS3 should sell in the high 400ks or low 500ks.

The PS3 also had a price cut which hurt October sales and helped them in November. You can't use this comparison, different factors are at work here.

botticus

donny2112 said:
$99 price drop in October 2003. GameCube actually was on the edge of being considered in shortage by the end of December in the U.S. After 6 months where they had to stop production because the system just wasn't selling enough worldwide, it was a big turnaround.
Ah yes, I remember hearing about that now.

RE: Guitar Hero, almost seems like MTV had combined unit sales but a top 20 with separate SKUs.

test_account

XP-39C²
botticus said:

Maybe Zelda: The Wind Waker had some impact? That game was however released 24th of March in 2003 (according to Gamefaqs.com atleast), so it it months before November though. I dont know :)

EDIT: I checked the date on Mario Kart Double Dash since you mentioned that game, and i see that this game was released 17th of November in 2003. I guess it is a chance that this game had some impact on the Gamecube hardware sales :)

EDIT 2: I see now that Donny2112 mentioned there was price drop, i guess this was a factor for the increased Gamecube hardware sales as well :)

Basileus777 said:
The PS3 also had a price cut which hurt October sales and helped them in November. You can't use this comparison, different factors are at work here.

I did not use the PS3 as an example.

I used the PS2, which had no price cut.

Private Hoffman said:

But the PS2 is cheap while the PS3 is expensive and has cheaper, direct competition in the 360. Given the economic climate, do you think the PS3 will be on a lot of Christmas lists?

yoopoo

Banned
Captain Smoker said:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/14/guitar-hero-wii-sales/

o_O

What's right? ^^
That list is probably by revenue, not by units sold - isn't 360 version more expensive than Wii?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
So Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) and Guitar Hero World Tour (360) both outsold RB2 (360 bundle) and RB2 (PS3).

Sorry, Whitta. :lol

You forget RB2 charts last month?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Amir0x said:

Wii isn't so bad.

...lots of stuff...

I actually agree with you 100%. :D That was a perfect post.

I absolutely do not hate the system and never have. Internet personas do tend to color opinions, but in reality, I think the Wii is a very decent system with some great games on it. As you say, however, most of the games that appeal to people like you and I aren't really anything that would require the unique control scheme of the Wii. Basically, I feel that those great games actually suffer as a result of the weaker hardware. Of course, we've been down this road many times before, so don't bother responding. :p The fact that someone believes another platform could do something more with a concept doesn't mean that platform is crap. I certainly wouldn't consider the Wii to be crap by any means.

I'm happy to own one and I really enjoyed a lot of the experiences I've had with it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Amir0x said:

Wii isn't so bad.

Good post. This second half of the year has been pretty barren, but there appears to be some good stuff on the horizon for next year.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just to be clear, those are combined SKU numbers.

"*Includes Collector's, Limited, Legendary, Bundles (Guitars) Editions"

Didn't make it onto my chart, sorry.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
beermonkey@tehbias said:
So Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) and Guitar Hero World Tour (360) both outsold RB2 (360 bundle) and RB2 (PS3 bundle).

Sorry, Whitta. :lol
Yeah RB2(360) out of the charts after one month, poor showing for GH:WT, it doesn't really look good for the rhythm games at all. I'm sure sales will pick up for Christmas, but it seems like both GH and RB will perform worse than their predecessors, which is strange given that the barrier to entry for lots of people is lower.

poppabk said:
Yeah RB2(360) out of the charts after one month, poor showing for GH:WT, it doesn't really look good for the rhythm games at all. I'm sure sales will pick up for Christmas, but it seems like both GH and RB will perform worse than their predecessors, which is strange given that the barrier to entry for lots of people is lower.

It might help if they didn't keep trying to sell new instruments.

lowlylowlycook said:
But the PS2 is cheap while the PS3 is expensive and has cheaper, direct competition in the 360. Given the economic climate, do you think the PS3 will be on a lot of Christmas lists?

I think the PS3 will be on a lot of Christmas wishlists. The system has a great library and functionality with Blu-Ray.

But, perhaps due to the economic climate, those potential PS3 sales will go to the 360.

Amir0x said:

Wii isn't so bad.

Endless Ocean
Trauma Center 1
Trauma Center 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Metroid Prime III
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
HotD1+2
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Zack & Wiki
Chocobo Dungeon

But the other truth, the other legitimate criticism, is that for a 'revolution' almost none of the games I've listed are revolutionary. They're almost all extremely routine revisits or franchise extensions, and nothing at all to support the systems original bold claims. Maybe for MotionPlus? I think we call this "missing a killer APP." For me, not for soccer moms. Fuck soccer moms and their Wii Sports crappery.

"Revolutionary" I really don't see the Wii as a revolution but more so as something different provided through the controller and/or the low cost development enviornment, and games like Wii Sports, SSX Blur, Trauma Center, No More Heroes, and Zack and Wiki really delivered that through me.

In terms of why the Wii can't satisfy "hardcore gamers" well that's easy, because nothing can. As elitists people always want something better. I mean think about it people were complaining about the PS2 last generation and are currently complaining about the Nintendo DS.

Personally as a stand alone console I don't think the Wii isn't that great, but seriously what "hardcore gamer" only owns one platform? The Wii greatly compliments my high end gaming PC and the DS and it arguably has the best line-up (line-up means games only on the Wii) amongst the other 2 console (due to them having such similar libraries and sharing the majority of their games).

So while I think that the Wii definitely could be better I don't see it as the bastard child of console gaming and can understand its sales that are both contributed through both casual and more serious players.

HK-47 said:
Still a poor showing for GH WT. Also RB PS3 beat GH PS3

Regardless, those who looked at the top 10 and thought GH franchise is getting owned by Rock Band franchise were operating under a very faulty assumption.

I'll admit that I'm even surprised that RB2 360 fell out of the top 20 when they also added the bundle this month.

And FYI, I'm a bigger RB fan than GH fan.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Ah ok, a price drop on the Gamecube in October 2003 + Mario Kart Double Dash in November 2003, i guess that made many people buy the Gamecube :) I wonder which factor that had the biggest effect, the price drop or Mario Kart Double Dash, or maybe both factors worked very well together :)

Top Bottom