• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Killdozer said:
I hope something changes soon because I basically wasted my money buying this game (on the PC). There's nobody playing this game online. If I were to install and fire-up UT99 there would probably be more people online playing that than UT3.

You've got to be kidding me. UT used to be THE shooter for me. Whats happened to the pc community if they aren't playing this? Personally I think there was a lack of promotion for the game, but its nice to know that a lot of guys here think its solid. I'll probably end up waiting for the 360 version since my PC isn't up to par though :(.

dralla

patrick put up his preview
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3164735

for people worried about game speed.

Turns out we were lying: Resistance fans will feel right at home with UT3. The two games share the exhilarating speed (though UT3 is undeniably faster) and nonstop action that uniquely defines their multiplayer experiences. Each also has a taste for strange and ridiculous weapons with alternate-fire options that provide dozens of options for any given combat situation.

even thought I hate the Halo comparison in the article, it's the shooter most console owners can easily relate to.

to the guy above me, Epic is very arrogant with UT. they just assume people know what UT is and hope it'll sell based on brand recognition. no promotion + recomened specs are pretty high = low sales. throw in some "limited supply" and p2p with the PS3 version, it's looking like a sales disaster

dralla said:
patrick put up his preview
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3164735

for people worries about gamespeed.

Turns out we were lying: Resistance fans will feel right at home with UT3. The two games share the exhilarating speed (though UT3 is undeniably faster) and nonstop action that uniquely defines their multiplayer experiences. Each also has a taste for strange and ridiculous weapons with alternate-fire options that provide dozens of options for any given combat situation.

to the guy above me, Epic is very arrogant with UT. they just assume people know what UT is and hope it'll sell based on brand recognition. no promotion + recomened specs are pretty high = low sales. throw in some "limited supply" and p2p with the PS3 version, it's looking like a sales disaster

Epic isn't in control of advertising, so if anyone is "arrogant", it'd be Midway. And I doubt it's arrogance as much as incompetence and possibly budget issues that is at fault here. Expect UT4 to be published by someone else.

dralla

Can epic not put a demo on PSN? if you've ever heard Epic talk about UT, it's clear they're very arrogant/confident? with the franchise. I've already said eariler that Epic/Midway/Sony have all fucked up with promotion

dralla said:
Can epic not put a demo on PSN? if you've ever heard Epic talk about UT, it's clear they're very arrogant/confident? with the franchise. I've already said eariler than Epic/Midway/Sony have all fucked up with promotion

Sony hasn't fucked up anything unless there was actually a deal in place that called for and allowed co-advertising, and Epic can't do shit about anything as advertising is the responsibility of Midway.

dralla

Sony can put it in their commercials. Sony wants 3rd party games to sell well or it'll lose support.
Epic can put a demo on PSN
Midway can run ad's

all 3 could do something, they're all to blame

Dartastic

So for the past couple days I've been trying to learn the UE, and I'm having a LOT of trouble even just getting started. I've watched lots of the tutorials, but my UE just isn't working properly. I think.

In perspective/top view, my subtractions/additions don't display properly. I can see them in the side/front view, but from top/perspective view they only display if I've clicked the actual brush in one of the other views. Since it's doing that, I can't put any materials/textures/anything on it.

Anyone have any idea why this is going on, and how to fix it? It's making learning slightly difficult. Here are some screens as an example. BTW, ignore the fact that it's not displaying in the top right window. That's only because I haven't moved the box tool out of the way. Anyone? Also, what is the path to find UT3's items for use within the UE? I can't seem to find those either.

ScreenGrab2.jpg

ScreenGrab1.jpg

dralla said:
Sony can put it in their commercials. Sony wants 3rd party games to sell well or it'll lose support.
Epic can put a demo on PSN
Midway can run ad's

all 3 could do something, they're all to blame

No they couldn't. Without a deal with Midway, Sony could not do that. And Epic can't do anything without Midway green lighting it.

Tzeentch

The single player is just a slightly more elaborate tournament ladder, with maddenly crappy AI in some missions. Oh, and the storyline .... well it could be worse I suppose.

Not impressed with UnrealED after using Sandbox. EXTREMELY buggy (although thankfuly not "destroy your soul" bad like the Gears editor is) and unintuitive - with enough changes from UED3 that its not a simple transition. People expecting lots of mod support on PC, much less PS3, are dreaming at this point. Epic is also verrrrryyyyyyy slow in opening up the UDN.

Online is pretty fun though, I like the new Warfare mode.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
dralla said:
UT is an arena-based game. It's essentially matches against bots. It's definitely a multiplayer game

But just the fact that it has bots makes it a good value for console-only people. Are there any good console shooters with bots? I never played PDZ, didn't it have bots?

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
The soundtrack is fantastic. Anyone heard the Foregone Destruction remix on the official soundtrack? NOSTALGIA HEART ATTACK MATERIAL!!!

Btw gaffers...I'm writing my own review for the game. The full version will be released Friday.

In UT3, less is more. The game contains substantially less content than the previous installment Unreal Tournament 2004, but the maps and modes that are included feel considerably more polished. Deathmatch has not felt this solid since the original, and the weapon balance may in fact be flawless. Every single weapon in the arsenal packs an explosive punch, most notably in the case of the new Biorifle, which was long regarded as a weakest link in previous installments. Unreal’s classic stinger returns in the form of the Stinger Minigun, a stylistically superior incarnation. In addition to the typical hitscan primary fire, it features the classic tarydium projectiles for the alternate firing mode. The impact hammer returns with a vengeance. This thing is almost as good as Quake 3’s legendary gauntlet. With a little practice you’ll have gibs smearing across the screen in no time. YAH BOI. The maplists for DM and CTF are almost on par with UT99, recapturing the flow, polish, and atmosphere that the original was known for. Deathmatch gameplay value is ridiculously high thanks to quality level design in maps like DM-Sentinel, DM-Gateway and DM-Deimos, a spiritual sequel to the cult classic, Hyperblast.

Erebus

If I'm not mistaken the PS3 version of the game comes out next week in US, right?

I'm thinking of importing it (in time for Christmas) but first I need to know if UT3 supports global servers on PS3, pretty much like Resistance?

I don't wanna end up not being able to play with people in my region after UT3 release in Europe.

Killdozer said:
If I were to install and fire-up UT99 there would probably be more people online playing that than UT3.

Pretty much. There are over 1100 UT99 players online right now. 650 UT2004 and 546 playing UT3.

Guileless said:
Are there any good console shooters with bots?

Quake Wars has incredible bots. I think the console version is coming in the 1st half of '08.

Death Dealer said:
Pretty much. There are over 1100 UT99 players online right now. 650 UT2004 and 546 playing UT3.

Quake Wars has incredible bots. I think the console version is coming in the 1st half of '08.

Interesting...UT99 is one of my favourite games of all time, I would love to hit that up again. The thought of attempting to recover all the mods and maps I had for it though is daunting, although I did get them all on a 56k connection haha.

Onemic

Dark FaZe said:
You've got to be kidding me. UT used to be THE shooter for me. Whats happened to the pc community if they aren't playing this? Personally I think there was a lack of promotion for the game, but its nice to know that a lot of guys here think its solid. I'll probably end up waiting for the 360 version since my PC isn't up to par though :(.

Nope he's serious. In comparison to UT 2004 when it first released, UT3's server population is absolutely pitiful. I'm just hoping more people take not of this game in the coming weeks.

bee

the games got way too many overpowered weapons, off a 100hp spawn you can get killed in 1 hit by hammer, flak primary or secondary, big goo, any rocket variation, sniper headshot and shock combo, with the power of these weapons spam is pretty ridiculous and a heavy attacking strategy is pointless as the run away spamming anything you got nullifies it everytime.

"the games got way too many overpowered weapons, off a 100hp spawn you can get killed in 1 hit by hammer, flak primary or secondary, big goo, any rocket variation, sniper headshot and shock combo, with the power of these weapons spam is pretty ridiculous and a heavy attacking strategy is pointless as the run away spamming anything you got nullifies it everytime."

For an instant kill, the Impact Hammer requires full charge and melee range, Flak primary requires close range, flak secondary requires a direct hit, goo secondary requires full charge and a direct hit (or walking over it), rocket (mostly true) still needs a direct hit with one or multiple charged up, headshot is self explanatory, and shock combo requires you to shoot a slow projectile towards a moving target and hit said projectile while (predicting or hoping) a player's still in the same spot. For one hit kills, there's conditions that have to be met that can be avoided, of course some players can just predict movements to an insane degree.

One could also argue that by having all the weapons "overpowered" none are really overpowered. :p

Jokes aside, If you play FFA DM (not saying you do or don't) it can definitely seem that way because FFA DM is always just a blahfest (especially in larger numbers), but in TDM or 1v1 or CTF. The weapon balance is actually *superb* especially in comparison to UT2K4, which due to the dodge jump and maps designed around it (really wide, lots of visibility), hitscan was all you wanted. Watch a demo of a UT2K4 match or frag video and it's 40% shock rilfe, 40% lightning gun (UT2K4's play on the sniper rifle), and 20% mid-air rocket/flak/goo/grenade shots. In match demos, replace that 20% with using the minigun or link secondary to finish off an injured opponent.

And if someone runs away spamming...don't follow them, cut them off and shoot where they're running? Depending on the map there's bunches and bunches of access points and ways throughout the map. I'd say that a player who accurately predicts that someone's going to run down a hallway following them and attacks accordingly deserves the kill over someone just following them attacking heavily.

dralla

bee said:
the games got way too many overpowered weapons, off a 100hp spawn you can get killed in 1 hit by hammer, flak primary or secondary, big goo, any rocket variation, sniper headshot and shock combo, with the power of these weapons spam is pretty ridiculous and a heavy attacking strategy is pointless as the run away spamming anything you got nullifies it everytime.

You make it seem like it's easy to walk up to someone with a fully charged Impact Hammer, or shoot a Shock combo without someone dodging it, or pull off a headshot with a a Sniper, or hit someone with a fully charged BioRifle or Rocket Launcher. The game has always had this depth to it, it's easy to learn, hard to master.

bee

only playing pickup tdm, duels and a few clan tdm games nothing else. only decent duel map is sentinel and thats where the spawn kills kick in big time and yes i do think its easy to hit a direct rocket, flak secondary or big goo.

the shock combo destroys any attack minded play and you say ok well dont attack and you perhaps deserve it but then you've just got a game with endless +back and attempts at long range sniping/shock primary and yeah you can try and cut them off but if the other players even slightly good he'll have already spammed a shock ball/big goo to the other entrance way before you get there.

CAVE343

There is something weird about the music, when I frag some people its keeps playing the normal track, but when I run around its dumbed down to a ambient sorta track. Very annoying since I love the track played on Deck, is there a way to turn that off? Not turning music off alltogether :)

And I hate the redeemer impact thingy, when it hits the whole screen turns white and starts shaking making your character to fall down. Is there a way around it?

About the weapons: its all in the movement.

"I hope something changes soon because I basically wasted my money buying this game (on the PC). There's nobody playing this game online. If I were to install and fire-up UT99 there would probably be more people online playing that than UT3."

Sure I wish there were more servers too but it's not like you sit there for a while waiting to find a room with people in it to join. I hardly can see how it was a waste of money.

"only playing pickup tdm, duels and a few clan tdm games nothing else. only decent duel map is sentinel and thats where the spawn kills kick in big time"

Fair enough. I do agree that Sentinel is perhaps the best (only? Dueling's not really my forte so I can't judge maps 100%) duel map. Deck as well, but it may/may not be long in the tooth for people.

"and yes i do think its easy to hit a direct rocket, flak secondary or big goo. the shock combo destroys any attack minded play and you say ok well dont attack and you perhaps deserve it but then you've just got a game with endless +back and attempts at long range sniping/shock primary and yeah you can try and cut them off but if the other players even slightly good he'll have already spammed a shock ball/big goo to the other entrance way before you get there."

This is perhaps true, but this is how UT's always been, even with 2k4's hitscan dependant style of play, so maybe that's why I'm ok with it? I'd imagine if you're a heavy Q3A player (which I think you've mentioned before) it's quite a bit different. As far as how easy it is to hit a direct rocket/flak secondary or goo secondary, I guess that depends on what range you're talking about. Most decent players can evade rockets quite easily at a medium range comfortably due to the speed of them and especially flak/goo. At a close range, obviously it's fairly easy, but most decent players aren't simply going to let you in the close range easily, especially those the better players rely heavily on audio cues. Did you watch any of the Rise to Glory tournament videos?

UT3 dueling is very "jousty," if I had to pick a word.

bee said:
only playing pickup tdm, duels and a few clan tdm games nothing else. only decent duel map is sentinel and thats where the spawn kills kick in big time and yes i do think its easy to hit a direct rocket, flak secondary or big goo.

the shock combo destroys any attack minded play and you say ok well dont attack and you perhaps deserve it but then you've just got a game with endless +back and attempts at long range sniping/shock primary and yeah you can try and cut them off but if the other players even slightly good he'll have already spammed a shock ball/big goo to the other entrance way before you get there.

I agree that the shock combo is still hugely over powered. It dominates everything and is only serves to increase the importance of ping.

Crateman

Has anyone tried to play PS3 version of UT3 with a keyboard and mouse? Does the gameplay changes significantly? I mean, I currently don't have an USB mouse and keyboard and I'm thinking of getting one just for UT3... but I need to know how much the gameplay improves.

Everyday I keep coming to this thread just to be even more hyped about the PS3 version. UT2004 was a milestone in my life as a gamer and I just can wait to get my hands on UT3.

"I agree that the shock combo is still hugely over powered. It dominates everything and is only serves to increase the importance of ping."

It is powerful but I can't say I've been having any problem with it being overpowered and it causing a problem.

"It is powerful but I can't say I've been having any problem with it being overpowered and it causing a problem."

It is nasty and I've previously found it ridiculously annoying. After I kicked (or severely reduced) my stupid bunnyhopping habit (not saying HURR YOU'RE A TARD NOOB or anything, just talking about myself), I've found myself able to avoid them much, much more. There are sometimes when I just get completely blindsided by one, there's really nothing you can do about that, sometimes you just come around a corner at a bad time. As far as pubs go, 95% of pub players can't hit a moving shock combo, leaving you with a pretty stationary target to light up. In pugs/scrims like bee's playing that's obviously not the case as you'll have some higher quality players/better organization, but as said earlier, movement's the key.

"It is nasty and I've previously found it ridiculously annoying. After I kicked (or severely reduced) my stupid bunnyhopping habit (not saying HURR YOU'RE A TARD NOOB or anything, just talking about myself), I've found myself able to avoid them much, much more. There are sometimes when I just get completely blindsided by one, there's really nothing you can do about that, sometimes you just come around a corner at a bad time. As far as pubs go, 95% of pub players can't hit a moving shock combo, leaving you with a pretty stationary target to light up. In pugs/scrims like bee's playing that's obviously not the case as you'll have some higher quality players/better organization, but as said earlier, movement's the key."

Ya, it definately is powerful when executed correctly. I never bunnyhopped before so I can't talk about that but like you said as long as your moving around and firing back it usually doesn't present a problem (for me at least) unless like you said completely blindsighted.

I made a topic about this over on the Epic Forums but I thought I'd just mention it here as well. I think for the most part, the Xbox Live community isn't really interested in modding in Unreal Tournament III. Forge in Halo 3 is really the first success story of map modifications on a console. But having a controller in itself makes modding a very different experience to begin with and I don't think that it's something that most Xbox Live gamers are interested in doing that will catch on.

That being said I'm advocating that Epic just release UT3 on 360 without the mods. They're working with Microsoft to see if they can work something out but I'd prefer and I think most 360 owners would prefer if Epic just release UT3 on 360 sooner and without mods. I buy Unreal for the fast, furious, brutal and fun shooter experience that it is, not the mods. The mods are a bonus, but it's the core gameplay that makes Unreal what it is.

2real4tv

I would like to see mods on the 360 because that would possibly open up an opportunity for a map editor when GeOW 2 comes around.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"It is nasty and I've previously found it ridiculously annoying. After I kicked (or severely reduced) my stupid bunnyhopping habit (not saying HURR YOU'RE A TARD NOOB or anything, just talking about myself), I've found myself able to avoid them much, much more. There are sometimes when I just get completely blindsided by one, there's really nothing you can do about that, sometimes you just come around a corner at a bad time. As far as pubs go, 95% of pub players can't hit a moving shock combo, leaving you with a pretty stationary target to light up. In pugs/scrims like bee's playing that's obviously not the case as you'll have some higher quality players/better organization, but as said earlier, movement's the key."

Ya, it definately is powerful when executed correctly. I never bunnyhopped before so I can't talk about that but like you said as long as your moving around and firing back it usually doesn't present a problem (for me at least) unless like you said completely blindsighted.

Why are people starting to use quotation marks instead of the quote tag? Just curious, for me personally it makes it harder to read but anyway.

TransTrender

Gold Member
WhatRuOn said:
I have no problems finding matches.
Alright, I'll check again.
"Any" was selected for my searches.

DM 50
TDM 12
CTF 2....wow
VCTF 37
Warfare 44
Duel 5
Campaign 6

156 people, approximately, at 12:41 AM PST.

Bad time of day, I know, but FFS there are more people around the Battlemasters in Shatt (world of warcraft) on my server right now than there are playing UT3.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Crateman said:
Has anyone tried to play PS3 version of UT3 with a keyboard and mouse? Does the gameplay changes significantly? I mean, I currently don't have an USB mouse and keyboard and I'm thinking of getting one just for UT3... but I need to know how much the gameplay improves.

Everyday I keep coming to this thread just to be even more hyped about the PS3 version. UT2004 was a milestone in my life as a gamer and I just can wait to get my hands on UT3.

IF my friend scores this for the lan this weekend I will update with some impression, G5 mouse so aiming benchmarking should be good.

Just saw a vid of XIm for Halo3 (untweaked as well) the device mimics Kb&m so much I'm wondering if purchasing it is really fair for 360/PS3 fps games.

bee

im still enjoying the game ( most of the time ) its just occasionally i'd like to be able to attack without fear, a good example from last night, i met an enemy in a clan tdm game he must of had a lot of armour and i bounced him around with 4 rockets i knew he was super weak but the last rocket bounced him round a corner i thought oh well lets see if i can finish him off even though i knew what was more than likely to happen and yes i got a combo to the face and died, i'll get used to it eventually i guess and figure something out.

nice to see their patching the game fast though, beta patch 2 is essential for clan games with the correct ping times added to the scoreboard to stop the inevitable ping whine. UTcomp has also been announced and has some nice additions.

http://www.unrealnorth.com/news.php?action=view&id=1491

also

http://unrealna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495

pretty much everything in the changelog from the pitfighter mod should have been in the game from day one, some really nice fixes/additions there.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Killdozer said:
Alright, I'll check again.
"Any" was selected for my searches.

DM 50
TDM 12
CTF 2....wow
VCTF 37
Warfare 44
Duel 5
Campaign 6

156 people, approximately, at 12:41 AM PST.

Bad time of day, I know, but FFS there are more people around the Battlemasters in Shatt (world of warcraft) on my server right now than there are playing UT3.

Wow. Is everybody playing TF2 and Crysis?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What the hell? This is really sad to see.

Something tells me Gears of War 2 is next up on Epic's to do list (though they DO kind of tend to do their own thing, really)...

Cheeto

I can believe the PUB scene looks like that. But is it possible that these trackers aren't counting PUGs and Scrims set up outside the game? The game has a very active competitive community from what I've seen.

kitch9

Banned
The game has a few problems, which I guess is putting a lot off playing it.

I get sound distortions, 5 second long freezes and the odd crash. It runs sweet when it runs, but there is nothing more frustrating than getting shot in the face whilst you are frozen at your end.....

I'm waiting for the first patch until I get into it.....

Firewire

Banned
Hey Teknopathetic, is there any listing anywhere about the weapons. Like descriptions & stuff, whats best close range & long range, what weapons are best to take down certain vehicles and stuff? I can't seem to find anything on it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Thunderbear said:
Why are people starting to use quotation marks instead of the quote tag? Just curious, for me personally it makes it harder to read but anyway.

It's just something that Tekno and Kenpachi do. Don't mind them.

Top Bottom