• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

TransTrender

Gold Member
WhatRuOn said:
I can believe the PUB scene looks like that. But is it possible that these trackers aren't counting PUGs and Scrims set up outside the game? The game has a very active competitive community from what I've seen.
Is it the same gamesurge or enterthegame IRC server that they've been using since 99?
Is it like the hayday of UT2k4 where you would sit in the channel all day and you might get 2 PUGs going?
So should I fire up IRC again or did they move on to something else?

kbear

Why isn't the PS3 version getting more hype? If you guys remember this time 2006, there was just an amazing amount of hype for Gears of War. Like it was all over the place... online, TV, outside events, everyone in the hobby was talking about the game. Why is UT3 basically getting ignored?? It's concerning

bee

im in the european ones on quakenet

624 in #ut3
352 in #ut3.tdm
289 in #ut3.ictf
190 in #ut3.itdm
162 in #ut3.practice
140 in #duell
129 in #ut3.ctf

quite a few more than that but those'll do for now.

kbear said:
Why isn't the PS3 version getting more hype? If you guys remember this time 2006, there was just an amazing amount of hype for Gears of War. Like it was all over the place... online, TV, outside events, everyone in the hobby was talking about the game. Why is UT3 basically getting ignored?? It's concerning

Well, Microsoft published the game I think, and yeah...Microsoft goes balls out for their megahits.

Draft

1. It's online DM only, and like Nintendo says, lots of people just don't care about killing random strangers on the internet.
2. Unreal Engine 3.0 already blew its load. It's not the industry leading graphical showcase it was 1 year ago.
3. Caution, you may hate this opinion: UT has always had a pretty bad case of sequelitis. Vehicles are far and away the largest addition to the series, and that happened when, 3 years ago? I do not think it's an unfair statement to call UT3 UT2K4 with a next-gen coat of paint, and I also don't think it's unfair to call UT2K4 UT99 with vehicles.
4. No hilariously cheesy commercial with some sort of armored ape staring solemnly at a busted up mannequin.

UnholySpectacle said:
Does anyone know if this has splitscreen or link play on PS3?
This is sooo ridiculous the game is out in less than a week yet we still don't know that much about it. What gives?
Draft said:
1. It's online DM only, and like Nintendo says, lots of people just don't care about killing random strangers on the internet.
2. Unreal Engine 3.0 already blew its load. It's not the industry leading graphical showcase it was 1 year ago.
3. Caution, you may hate this opinion: UT has always had a pretty bad case of sequelitis. Vehicles are far and away the largest addition to the series, and that happened when, 3 years ago? I do not think it's an unfair statement to call UT3 UT2K4 with a next-gen coat of paint, and I also don't think it's unfair to call UT2K4 UT99 with vehicles.
4. No hilariously cheesy commercial with some sort of armored ape staring solemnly at a busted up mannequin.
:lol Oh now I see.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Draft said:

I'll er, just address 2, as 1,3 and 4 are ridiculous. (56k? hah, no, and before you ask, all pics were taken by me.)

Hubbell%20Tyson.jpg

UT3%20Uberres.jpg

UT%203%20RSU%203.jpg

UT%203%20RSU%202.jpg

UT3%20Char%201.jpg

UT%208-4-7-2.jpg

UT3%20BG.jpg

If thats not awesome looking I don't know what is.

Draft

You may disagree but I don't think they're ridiculous.

1. What was the last really popular DM focused shooter? I can't think of one. BF2 was the last really popular online-only shooter that comes to mind, and it's pretty far removed from death match.

2. I did not say the game was ugly, I said UE3 is no longer the stunner it once was. In 2006 people were playing shit like Gun and PD0 and then all the sudden it was like Gears of WHAT? It was a stunner in a crowd of pigs. UT3 is a stunner in a crowd of stunners.

3. Of all my points, I don't see how you can call this one ridiculous? UT has always been more of the same, but refined and rebalanced. If you are a hardcore UT fan that is great, but surely you can see how casual UT fans might just move along to something else, or simply keep playing UT2K4.

UT2K4 was cheap, too. I think it debuted at $40. That's one of the reasons I snatched it on day one.

tanod

when is my burrito
kbear said:

Everybody thought it was coming out in 2008 until a week and a half ago. That's why.

tanod said:
Everybody thought it was coming out in 2008 until a week and a half ago. That's why.

Erm shouldnt epic be a bit more fourth coming with the info then, or is it a case of if it does it on the pc version then it will do it on the ps3.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Draft said:
You may disagree but I don't think they're ridiculous.

1. What was the last really popular DM focused shooter? I can't think of one. BF2 was the last really popular online-only shooter that comes to mind, and it's pretty far removed from death match.

2. I did not say the game was ugly, I said UE3 is no longer the stunner it once was. In 2006 people were playing shit like Gun and PD0 and then all the sudden it was like Gears of WHAT? It was a stunner in a crowd of pigs. UT3 is a stunner in a crowd of stunners.

3. Of all my points, I don't see how you can call this one ridiculous? UT has always been more of the same, but refined and rebalanced. If you are a hardcore UT fan that is great, but surely you can see how casual UT fans might just move along to something else, or simply keep playing UT2K4.

UT2K4 was cheap, too. I think it debuted at $40. That's one of the reasons I snatched it on day one.

Ok, I'll address them in a bit more detail then:

1: Lats time I checked online DM was still very, very popular, CS is still played by millions of people, the market is still there, and of course, UT3 has CTF, and er...Warfare, it mixes it up a bit, and although there could have done with a new gametype being invented, but still, it still has some draw to it.

2: You said it wasn't the graphical showpiece it was a year ago, bullshit, between this and Mass Effect, UE3 still has the ability to drop jaws, easily, yes there may be a couple of games that come close, but Crysis aside, UE3 is still the engine per excellence, especially on consoles.

3: I called that ridiculous because of the UT communities reaction to UT3, it's being repeatedly panned on the official Epic forum for NOT being UT enough, Epic couldn't win here, and frankly, I like UT3 how it is, it is far enough removed from UT2k4 to be worth playing, but close enough to keep the UT feel, but I feel like I'm in a minority here.

Anyway, UT2k4 wasn't cheap here, I paid £35 for it, I only paid £25 for UT3, weird, it's still well worth the money, however, and knowing Epics' record on UT, we should see some more content for our money quite soon.

[/UT Defense Mode]

bee

i just did a quick check in game on the number of people playing, at 7pm gmt there was roughly 800 playing and 8pm is usually peak time so i'd expect nearer 1000 then which isnt too bad and certainly a lot higher than these server stats sites give.

also no shortage of people spamming for games on irc

http://practice.muhq.eu/

TransTrender

Gold Member
bee said:
im in the european ones on quakenet

624 in #ut3
352 in #ut3.tdm
289 in #ut3.ictf
190 in #ut3.itdm
162 in #ut3.practice
140 in #duell
129 in #ut3.ctf

quite a few more than that but those'll do for now.

WhatRuOn said:
Gamesurge has a UT3 channel for each gametype, there is always about 80-100 people in each channel.

This has me excited, but at the same time it could just be 80-100 people being idle in each channel. I'll give it a try tonight, but I can't participate in any PUGs because my videocard likes to go meltdown in under a minuet (x1900XTX) but my new 8800GT has a ship date (crosses fingers) of 12/10.

"I'll give it a try tonight, but I can't participate in any PUGs because my videocard likes to go meltdown in under a minuet (x1900XTX) "

How does your card meltdown in under a minute?

tanod

when is my burrito
supermackem said:
Erm shouldnt epic be a bit more fourth coming with the info then, or is it a case of if it does it on the pc version then it will do it on the ps3.

Yeah. Texture detail, some ancilliary gfx effects and framerate (60 vs. 30) aside, the game is the same. Both support K/M as well.

The main difference is that mods are only creatable on PC but all are playable on PS3 as well.

Midway is also a TERRIBLE publisher at marketing their games. If Sony was actually publishing or co-publishing UT3 on PS3, it'd be WAYYYYYYY different.

dralla

yea, so the TimeShift demo is up and it uses GameSpy like UT3 and it's really dissapointing. There's no way to play with friends and there's tons of connections issues. The demo is from the finished game, not an old build. I really hope this does not mean UT3 will have the same problems. If it does I'm going to punch Mark Rein in his face

antiloop

kbear said:

FPS on PS3 I guess.

"yea, so the TimeShift demo is up and it uses GameSpy like UT3 and it's really dissapointing. There's no way to play with friends and there's tons of connections issues. The demo is from the finished game, not an old build. I really hope this does not mean UT3 will have the same problems. If it does I'm going to punch Mark Rein in his face"

UT3 PC already has a built in...albeit...sorta eh Friend's list with which you can follow your friends to games. I'd be surprised if that didn't copy over.

In America the PUG IRC channels are on GameRadius. Though there's several movements to move to Quakenet or Gamesurge with the rest of the competitive community.

"Hey Teknopathetic, is there any listing anywhere about the weapons. Like descriptions & stuff, whats best close range & long range, what weapons are best to take down certain vehicles and stuff? I can't seem to find anything on it."

I think www.unrealtournament3.com has some.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How does your card meltdown in under a minute?
The thermistor that controlled the fan speed on my X1900XTX crapped out and my card was damaged from overheating. Basically I was playing WoW, had terrible artifacts, then noticed that I didn't hear the fan on my card running so I knew I had a problem. I used ATI tool to override the fan control. I have to run it at 100% to keep the temperature at 45-50C at idle, and then when you start a 3d application the temperature spikes to 63-66C in a second or two and then creeps higher and higher. Even after cleaning out the dust and reapplying the thermal grease the card is still hosed. Under good condtions I can play WoW for about 30min before I have problems, TF2 for about 10min, and UT3 for less than 5 min.

dralla

"UT3 PC already has a built in...albeit...sorta eh Friend's list with which you can follow your friends to games. I'd be surprised if that didn't copy over."

that may work on the PC, but there's no way of communicationg with people in-game on PS3. How exactly am I supposed to set a game up? I'd have to either post on forums or call them on the phone

"The thermistor that controlled the fan speed on my X1900XTX crapped out and my card was damaged from overheating. Basically I was playing WoW, had terrible artifacts, then noticed that I didn't hear the fan on my card running so I knew I had a problem. I used ATI tool to override the fan control. I have to run it at 100% to keep the temperature at 45-50C at idle, and then when you start a 3d application the temperature spikes to 63-66C in a second or two and then creeps higher and higher. Even after cleaning out the dust and reapplying the thermal grease the card is still hosed. Under good condtions I can play WoW for about 30min before I have problems, TF2 for about 10min, and UT3 for less than 5 min."

Ouch... That sucks :/

mr stroke

tanod said:
Midway is also a TERRIBLE publisher at marketing their games. If Sony was actually publishing or co-publishing UT3 on PS3, it'd be WAYYYYYYY different.

So then Midway marketing Epic games is pretty much over?
(I hope so, unless Midway pulls some crazy adverstising over the next month)

this game alomst apears to have a Sega Saturn smell about it-
Release almost unanouced with zero advertising, and unexpected by everyone. They really should have released in late Jan 08 for PC/PS3, they could have worked out some of the bugs and road a huge hype train with not much compitition. :( oh well

dralla

that's BS. Stranglehold was promoted like crazy. Demo on PSX/XBL, commercials, and tons of media coverage. even Hour of fucking Victory was promoted. And I can't go 5 minutes without seeing a Blacksite commercial plus multiple demo's.

theBishop

Banned
dralla said:
"UT3 PC already has a built in...albeit...sorta eh Friend's list with which you can follow your friends to games. I'd be surprised if that didn't copy over."

that may work on the PC, but there's no way of communicationg with people in-game on PS3. How exactly am I supposed to set a game up? I'd have to either post on forums or call them on the phone

There is an invite system on PS3. And there is an SDK function for bringing up the friends list in-game. We don't know yet if Epic chose to implement it.

mr stroke

dralla said:
that's BS. Stranglehold was promoted like crazy. Demo on PSX/XBL, commercials, and tons of media coverage. even Hour of fucking Victory was promoted. And I can't go 5 minutes without seeing a Blacksite commercial plus multiple demo's.

Your right about Stranglehold, I guess Midway picked the wrong game to promote?
or maybe the blame goes to Epic for massive delays and changing release dates several times

gbovo

mr stroke said:
Your right about Stranglehold, I guess Midway picked the wrong game to promote?
or maybe the blame goes to Epic for massive delays and --->changing release dates several times<---
That is the answer to everyone complaining about the marketing of UT3. The whole "when it's done" attitude that Epic had doesn't work well for publishers (read:Midway) and Sony who both have to schedule their marketing campaigns months ahead of a game's release. That can't happen when the developer themselves can't give Midway and Sony a definite date for when the game will be completed. Saying that the game was going to release in November (on PC/PS3) then possible delay to 2008 for PS3, then finishing the PS3 version at the last minute makes it very difficult for Midway and Sony to schedule any kind of marketing for the game ahead of time. Gears marketing was great partly because MS practically forced Epic to make sure the game released on time so they could schedule their marketing appropriately.

gbovo said:
That is the answer to everyone complaining about the marketing of UT3. The whole "when it's done" attitude that Epic had doesn't work well for publishers (read:Midway) and Sony who both have to schedule their marketing campaigns months ahead of a game's release. That can't happen when the developer themselves can't give Midway and Sony a definite date for when the game will be completed. Saying that the game was going to release in November (on PC/PS3) then possible delay to 2008 for PS3, then finishing the PS3 version at the last minute makes it very difficult for Midway and Sony to schedule any kind of marketing for the game ahead of time. Gears marketing was great partly because MS practically forced Epic to make sure the game released on time so they could schedule their marketing appropriately.

Quoted for the mass amounts of truth.

"anyone with the game, tell me this map plays as good as it looks"

I'm really enjoy playing that map possibly one of my favorites for tdm and ctf. It's called Shangrila if I remember correctly.

dralla

whole bunch of videos, high quality, good player [against bots though :[ ]. the maps looks awesome. but whats with gateway, it looks like 2 completely different maps, is that just 2 maps in one video or is there 2 areas like that? I see a door in the forest area that looks like it leads to the ice area so im assuming it's the same map, love the idea of 2 different enviornments like that

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=111

you should probably add this to the op :]

Gateway, as the name suggests, has 3 different areas linked by portals. One's in space, one's an arctic area, the other's forest/jungle-y.

mr stroke

dralla said:
whole bunch of videos, high quality, good player [against bots though :[ ]. the maps looks awesome. but whats with gateway, it looks like 2 completely different maps, is that just 2 maps in one video or is there 2 areas like that? I see a door in the forest area that looks like it leads to the ice area so im assuming it's the same map, love the idea of 2 different enviornments like that

nice vids can't wait until the 10th

tanod

when is my burrito
dralla said:

Maybe because Stranglehold is a license game and they paid a shit load for that license.

Firewire

Banned
dralla said:

Jesus those are awesome. I'm really falling for this game big time!

CBal2424

Banned
Im going to pick up the ps3 version next week, I know it only supports 16 players online, will the maps feel empty or is 16 a good number?

Cheeto

CBal2424 said:
Im going to pick up the ps3 version next week, I know it only supports 16 players online, will the maps feel empty or is 16 a good number?
Most DM maps won't feel empty, but some of the much bigger Warfare maps probably will.

theBishop

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Most DM maps won't feel empty, but some of the much bigger Warfare maps probably will.

Didn't Mark Rein say they could raise the cap in the future? I thought I saw that somewhere.

Cheeto

theBishop said:
Didn't Mark Rein say they could raise the cap in the future? I thought I saw that somewhere.
I don't know, never really followed the console version. Either way, if your playing UT3 for Warfare, your playing UT wrong imo.

Chris_C

Seems like there really should have been a new trailer on the PSN yesterday... the game comes out in four days and I'm pretty sure no one but the hardcore even has a clue. No website ads, no tv ads, nothing. I realise there was pretty much zero time to build up the marketing campaign but this is ridiculous. Freaking Just Cause was more high profile than this.

Firewire

Banned
Chris_C said:
Seems like there really should have been a new trailer on the PSN yesterday... the game comes out in four days and I'm pretty sure no one but the hardcore even has a clue. No website ads, no tv ads, nothing. I realise there was pretty much zero time to build up the marketing campaign but this is ridiculous. Freaking Just Cause was more high profile than this.

You never know, maybe this weekend they start the ad campaign.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I think the timing of the release is killing the game. A lot of people are already playing Halo 3, COD4, and Team Fortress 2 online. UT and UT2K4 are two of my favorite games and I don't even know when I'd get around to playing this. Probably should have just done a spring release like they did with 2K4.

tanod

when is my burrito
Mooreberg said:
I think the timing of the release is killing the game. A lot of people are already playing Halo 3, COD4, and Team Fortress 2 online. UT and UT2K4 are two of my favorite games and I don't even know when I'd get around to playing this. Probably should have just done a spring release like they did with 2K4.

If I had known UT3 was coming out for sure this year a month ago, I wouldn't have even picked up COD4.

Also, UT3 is supposed to be on the 1UP Show today. Shawn Elliot will be talking about it with some other people.

Firewire

Banned
tanod said:
If I had known UT3 was coming out for sure this year a month ago, I wouldn't have even picked up COD4.

Also, UT3 is supposed to be on the 1UP Show today. Shawn Elliot will be talking about it with some other people.

I traded COD4 in yesterday, I hated the SP and I couldn't get into the multiplayer, I just wasn't feeling it. Looking at the vid's Dralla posted on the last page, I won't have a problem getting into UT3.

I'm just nervous though, as I've never played UT before so I will probably get owned huge online.

Top Bottom