• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Borys

Banned
Draft said:
Maybe everyone's just waiting for the patch that turns it into an actual PC game.

Basically what I was afraid of the whole time since they announced this for PS3.

Fucking Epic traitors. And VALVe and id Software.

My only hope lies in Blizzard now.

mr stroke

Neo 007 said:
With an even playing field and hardware I'd say most are holding out for the Playstation 3 version.

I hope your right.considering the compition this should be one of the top selling games on the console

"With an even playing field and hardware I'd say most are holding out for the Playstation 3 version."

This is incorrect. Most don't know it's even out yet on PC. Near zil advertising and hype.

Jide

Teknopathetic said:
"With an even playing field and hardware I'd say most are holding out for the Playstation 3 version."

This is incorrect. Most don't know it's even out yet on PC. Near zil advertising and hype.

How much has it sold anyway? There is far too much competition now for UT to reach the userbase that it had back in the day imo.

Not only that but there are still thousands who play ut2k4 and won't move to UT3 straight away.

mr stroke

Teknopathetic said:
" Near zil advertising and hype.

+1

can anyone explain what the hell Epic was thinking here? Did they asume Unreal had such a huge following that it was a day one game for everyone???
I guess we will have to see where sales are after Dec, but I can't imagine them being that strong for PS3. I almost wish MS would have had a shot at this game first and released it under MS game studios so it would have gottin the hype it deserves, considering the fact the game looks like Gears and that everyone loves bald space marines, Sony or Epic should have done what MS did with GOW and pushed the hell out of it.

"How much has it sold anyway? There is far too much competition now for UT to reach the userbase that it had back in the day imo."

Supposedly it was #6 at Play.com and floating around the 20s (zzz) on Amazon or some such. All over the place really.

"can anyone explain what the hell Epic was thinking here? Did they asume Unreal had such a huge following that it was a day one game for everyone???
I guess we will have to see were sales are after Dec, but I can't imagine them being that strong for PS3. I almost wish MS would have had a shot at this game first and released it under MS game studios so it would have gottin the hype it deserves, considering the fact the game looks like Gears, Sony or Epic should have done what MS did with GOW and pushed the hell out of it."

I'm not sure if it's an Epic thing or a Midway thing (probably a Midway thing). It's possible that they were planning on tying the PS3/PC ad campaigns together and when the PS3 version got delayed they waited for it and then the ninja gold from Epic at the last minute flipped everything upside down or something. I have no idea.

That coupled with a lackluster demo (no dedicated server out at least a day before the release? what?) adds up to a terrible start.

It seems like the PC version kinda bombed here in the UK unfortunately.
In at number 40 on the All Formats chart (UT2004 went in at number 6), and out again the following week.

Aaron

If not for this thread, I would still think the PC version was coming soon. Even after this thread, it's hard to believe it's actually out. I wasn't planning on a purchase, but still interested in how the full game came out.

Draft

Borys said:
Basically what I was afraid of the whole time since they announced this for PS3.

Fucking Epic traitors. And VALVe and id Software.

My only hope lies in Blizzard now.
Unfair statement. Orange box may have seen simultaneous release with the X360 version, but Ep2, Portal and TF2 are PC games to their core, from interface to design. Valve remains one of the good guys.

"Unfair statement. Orange box may have seen simultaneous release with the X360 version, but Ep2, Portal and TF2 are PC games to their core, from interface to design. Valve remains one of the good guys."

If you call a game a console game just because of its (terrible) menu, then you've got some serious issues. On a Borys level. And critical hits are some console shit.

Draft

Teknopathetic said:
"Unfair statement. Orange box may have seen simultaneous release with the X360 version, but Ep2, Portal and TF2 are PC games to their core, from interface to design. Valve remains one of the good guys."

If you call a game a console game just because of its (terrible) menu, then you've got some serious issues. On a Borys level. And critical hits are some console shit.
Interface is huge part of a game. Massive. To disagree is folly. And any PC gamer can attest to the terrible interfaces a lot of console ports end up with on the PC.

And I was dropping criticals on fools back in Junktown, dude. If anything they are some RPG shit.

"Interface is huge part of a game. Massive. To disagree is folly. And any PC gamer can attest to the terrible interfaces a lot of console ports end up with on the PC."

Interface is marginally important, especially since it can be fixed. This isn't a case of a bloated HUD or having X360 buttons instead of keyboard shortcuts on the tooltips.

And unlike something like Oblivion, past joining a server, there's no real interaction with the menu beyond joining a server.

"And I was dropping criticals on fools back in Junktown, dude. If anything they are some RPG shit."

I didn't really have to think I'd have to add "in FPSs" to that sentence for you to get that. Especially since you were the one who mentioned TF2. I figured it would've registered instantly.

llTll

Banned
Wollan said:
The 10th. This coming Monday.
i really cant believe this. where is the hands on preview in the final version of the game? where is the media from the playstation 3 version? how can one of the best games coming to PS3 not getting all this hype and media from and website?
Teknopathetic said:
"Interface is huge part of a game. Massive. To disagree is folly. And any PC gamer can attest to the terrible interfaces a lot of console ports end up with on the PC."

Interface is marginally important, especially since it can be fixed. This isn't a case of a bloated HUD or having X360 buttons instead of keyboard shortcuts on the tooltips.

"And I was dropping criticals on fools back in Junktown, dude. If anything they are some RPG shit."

I didn't really have to think I'd have to add "in FPSs" to that sentence for you to get that.

why cant you quote like normal people ?

annoying

Draft

Teknopathetic said:
I didn't really have to think I'd have to add "in FPSs" to that sentence for you to get that. Especially since you were the one who mentioned TF2. I figured it would've registered instantly.
I was being polite in addressing that silly point at all. I admit I'm not completely immersed in the console FPS world but I've played one here and there, and they don't have critical hits either. It's a platform agnostic design choice. I don't like them either, but to blame them on the developers being in a console state of mind doesn't hold water.

FrankT

llTll said:
i really cant believe this. where is the hands on preview in the final version of the game? where is the media from the playstation 3 version? how can one of the best games coming to PS3 not getting all this hype and media from and website?

why cant you quote like normal people ?

annoying

This game was determined to bomb I'm not sure how anyone could have thought otherwise. I've said it for quite some time now. I really can't believe how bad now after seeing those numbers online. The marketing circles this has gone through has been T E R R I B L E.

When Epic releases Gears 2 that is when they will have another money maker on their hands. They should just scrap the console releases altogether of UT3.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Jtyettis said:
This game was determined to bomb I'm not sure how anyone could have thought otherwise. I've said it for quite some time now. I really can't believe how bad now after seeing those numbers online. The marketing circles this has gone through has been T E R R I B L E.

When Epic releases Gears 2 that is when they will have another money maker on their hands. They should just scrap the console release altogether of UT3.

Im sure Epic is missing Microsoft marketing magic at the moment....

"I was being polite in addressing that silly point at all. I admit I'm not completely immersed in the console FPS world but I've played one here and there, and they don't have critical hits either. It's a platform agnostic design choice. I don't like them either, but to blame them on the developers being in a console state of mind doesn't hold water."

Convenient. A crappy gameplay mechanic that helps lesser players perform better (even better than auto-aim) is just a platform agnostic design choice, yet a poor interface that doesn't actually affect gameplay makes a game a "console" game.

Draft

Teknopathetic said:
Convenient. A crappy gameplay mechanic that helps lesser players perform better (even better than auto-aim) is just a platform agnostic design choice, yet a poor interface that doesn't actually affect gameplay makes a game a "console" game.
Convenient because it's true? I can start listing PC games that have crummy console interfaces, if you like. Can you start listing PC games tainted with the console scourge that is critical hits?

"Convenient because it's true? I can start listing PC games that have crummy console interfaces, if you like. Can you start listing PC games tainted with the console scourge that is critical hits?"

Can you start listing ways that a crummy interface actually makes UT3 a console game?

Draft

Teknopathetic said:
"Convenient because it's true? I can start listing PC games that have crummy console interfaces, if you like. Can you start listing PC games tainted with the console scourge that is critical hits?"

Can you start listing ways that a crummy interface actually makes UT3 a console game?
It lacks much of the basic accoutrement one would expect from a PC fps title (please see above for details) belying a development not focused on the PC version.

Now you go.

"It lacks much of the basic accoutrement one would expect from a PC fps title (please see above for details) belying a development not focused on the PC version."

See above? You can't list any of your own? I'd already addressed that list and it still doesn't you know, affect gameplay or make it a "console game." Unless editing INIs and getting hassled over it is something prominent in console FPSs. What's worse, over half of it is fixed or again not relevant to consoles anyway.

I'll go when you can make a real list. Either somebody else's or your own, but it seems as though you have some pretty minimal experience with the game yourself (judging from how much you're leaning on other's posts) and how the UI actually affects it so I'll have to settle for the former.

theBishop

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

I think the increased focus on vehicles in UT3 nudges it ever closer to console-game territory. I've read various previews where developers at Epic said the vehicles are more fun with a gamepad.

"I think the increased focus on vehicles in UT3 nudges it ever closer to console-game territory. I've read various previews where developers at Epic said the vehicles are more fun with a gamepad."

What increased focus on vehicles? UT2K4 had Vehicle CTF and Onslaught (now moderately altered and called Warfare in UT3). Hell, UT2K4 also had Assault which also had vehicles.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
It's funny how you read all these posts about how "UT3 is a flop", "PC UT is dead" ect, but the main reason is something stupid like....

TEH MENU SUX IM SO DISAPPOINTED EPIC HAS GONE CONSOLE LOLZ LETS GIVE NO VALID REASONS HEH EPIC IS $$$ DEVELOPER NOW OH WAIT I PLAY HALO 2.5

I've read SO MANY posts giving the exact same reason. Try again.

I get the feeling that Midway was thinking that the next game "From the Makers of Gears of War" would be self hyped. That in combination with the overestimation of the online community of UT2004 due to bots being counted, caused Midway to go very light on the advertising budget. It's a shame they don't see their mistake with the PC version and hype the hell out of the PS3 version. There is a HUGE opportunity to sell a large number of units of the PS3 version this holiday season and neither Midway nor Sony is stepping up to the plate.

I broke down and ordered a Radeon HD 3870(couldn't find a 8800GT and refuse to wait any longer) and the PC version and will be playing online starting tonight.

JonAmikar said:
It's funny how you read all these posts about how "UT3 is a flop", "PC UT is dead" ect, but the main reason is something stupid like....

I don't know what exactly the reason, but looking at the # of players online, the PC game is clearly flopping.

"Does UT3 have an auto-updater? Am I missing patches?"

No, there's only the beta patches which are more or less not meant to be public but were leaked for a short period of time. Epic said the current beta patch is an RC for the first official patch, so here's hoping it's out official soon.

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
"Does UT3 have an auto-updater? Am I missing patches?"

No, there's only the beta patches which are more or less not meant to be public but were leaked for a short period of time. Epic said the current beta patch is an RC for the first official patch, so here's hoping it's out official soon.
But when the game gets officially patched, it'll autodownload correct?

"But when the game gets officially patched, it'll autodownload correct?"

Nope. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Oh and the earlier thing about how fast UT3 is. It's not as fast as Q3/Q4 due to strafe jumping/crouch sliding. That said, I much prefer dodging.

bee

part of the reason for lower number of players is bots, 6000 people playing ut2k4 at peak time? dont make me laugh and i know absolutely for sure there aren't 3000 human players playing quake 3 at peak times.

Kabouter

Teknopathetic said:
":-/
What year is this again?"

Short of Steam games and WiC, I can't think of much auto-patching games though.
UbiSoft now has auto-patching on all their PC-games.
And I've seen it with more games.

Crateman

llTll said:

The same I wonder...

Epic: Where's TV ad with images from the game and "Mad World" as background music?!?

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
":-/
What year is this again?"

Short of Steam games and WiC, I can't think of much auto-patching games though.
Every game I've purchased this year. C&C3, SupCom, Hellgate. Aren't games like BF2/2142 and Titan Quest autopatching? Shit, what about diablo?

"Every game I've purchased this year. C&C3, SupCom, Hellgate. Aren't games like BF2/2142 and Titan Quest autopatching? Shit, what about diablo?"

BF2 is most definitely not auto-patching, neither is Titan Quest. The rest of the stuff I've bought this year has actually been all on Steam or other DD services, that said BioShock, STALKER, and Call of Duty 4 don't use auto-patching.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Defcon said:
26. Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
564 servers, 634 players

Not very popular online. I wonder if it's because you need a monster machine to run.
I hope something changes soon because I basically wasted my money buying this game (on the PC). There's nobody playing this game online. If I were to install and fire-up UT99 there would probably be more people online playing that than UT3.

Cheeto

Killdozer said:
I hope something changes soon because I basically wasted my money buying this game (on the PC). There's nobody playing this game online. If I were to install and fire-up UT99 there would probably be more people online playing that than UT3.
I have no problems finding matches.

Top Bottom