• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:
I traded COD4 in yesterday, I hated the SP and I couldn't get into the multiplayer, I just wasn't feeling it. Looking at the vid's Dralla posted on the last page, I won't have a problem getting into UT3.

I'm just nervous though, as I've never played UT before so I will probably get owned huge online.

I'm in the same boat thought I have enjoyed what little I've played of COD4 so far. How much did you get for trade?

theBishop

Banned
How do we still not know about split screen?!?

Retail copies are in the hands of journalists. I've never known basic functionality of a game to fall under NDA.

dralla

theBishop said:
How do we still not know about split screen?!?

Retail copies are in the hands of journalists. I've never known basic functionality of a game to fall under NDA.

It's highly unlikely. The game is a technical showpiece, It would probably become a slideshow with splitscreen, MAYBE 2 player's, but I'm still not expecting it.

check out the 1up show today, nice UT3 segment. you can see PS3/PC versions running back to back. both look great

Firewire

Banned
tanod said:
I'm in the same boat thought I have enjoyed what little I've played of COD4 so far. How much did you get for trade?

$35 at EB.

I was pretty surprised, thought I'd maybe only get $15.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
tanod said:
If I had known UT3 was coming out for sure this year a month ago, I wouldn't have even picked up COD4.

Also, UT3 is supposed to be on the 1UP Show today. Shawn Elliot will be talking about it with some other people.
Those two types of games couldn't be anymore different. Personally, I'm a fan of both.

mr stroke said:
Is it safe to asume the PS3 version is the PC version with maxed settings just running at 720p?

I'd wager that it uses sligthly lower textures on some assets due to memory constraints, but at 720p you probably wouldn't notice. I could even be wrong there though.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Note: This review is based on approximately 80 hours of gameplay. (Demo: 45hrs/Retail:38 hrs)

The menu opens. Familiar chords of the Unreal Tournament theme triumphantly signal the highly anticipated return and redemption of the series. Unreal Tournament 3 is without a doubt, the best deathmatch shooter since 1999. Deathmatch and CTF have been restored to UT99 levels of quality and the Onslaught formula works better than ever before in the spiritual successor, Warfare. This latest entry in the series doesn’t take any chances, but rather combines and polishes what has worked in the franchise as a whole, resulting in one of the most solid deathmatch shooters ever created.

In UT3, less is more. The game contains substantially less content than the previous installment Unreal Tournament 2004, but the maps and modes that are included feel considerably more polished. Deathmatch has not felt this solid since the original, and the weapon balance may in fact be flawless. Every single weapon in the arsenal packs an explosive punch, most notably in the case of the new Biorifle, which was long regarded as a weakest link in previous installments. Unreal’s classic stinger returns in the form of the Stinger Minigun, a stylistically superior design. In addition to the typical hitscan primary fire, it features the classic tarydium projectiles for the alternate firing mode. The impact hammer returns with a vengeance. This thing is almost as good as Quake 3’s legendary gauntlet. With a little practice you’ll have gibs smearing across the screen in no time. YAH BOI. The maplists for DM and CTF are almost on par with UT99, recapturing the flow, polish, and atmosphere that the original was known for. Deathmatch gameplay value is ridiculously high thanks to quality level design in maps like DM-Sentinel, DM-Gateway and DM-Deimos, a spiritual sequel to the cult classic, Hyperblast. The controversial Dodge-jump , in addition to UT2004 physics and scaling have been tossed for the sake of superior gameplay. If anything, the game feels a bit TOO nerfed in the gravity department. (The single jump height is a bit too low) While some may miss the “floaty” movement of UT2004, I think most fans will come to appreciate the more polished and intense feel that UT3 provides.

Unreal Tournament 3 delivers some of the most stunning and inspired arenas since the original. The level designers obviously used UT99 ‘s design philosophy as a model, carefully crafting each level with the overarching world in mind. Each level, whether it be a Liandri Facility, streets of a futuristic metropolis, or a Necris temple, feels apart of the Unreal universe. But do they live up to UT99 standards? The answer is yes and no. There are plenty of GOOD maps in UT3, but unfortunately there are only a select few I would consider GREAT. I think this has something to do with the utter lack of CliffyB.

CTF is incredibly relevant this time around. I must confess that I don’t think I ever felt the need to play it in UT2004. Remakes CTF-Coret and CTF-Hydro 16 steal the show, and may give UT99 veterans a fatal nostalgia heart-attack. The translocator has still has limited regenerating discs, but the number of disks has been increased to seven. It feels a lot better than one in UT2004, which never feel right for some reason. The only really negative thing I can say about UT3 CTF is that there only six maps included, which is a bit disappointing. Fortunately, most of them are well designed. CTF-Omicron Dawn (successor to Facing Worlds) and CTF-Reflection compliment the remakes nicely. Hopefully we’ll see some more maps to choose from in future bonus packs.

Team Deathmatch has been improved somewhat. Epic took the time to make the skins in UT3 nice and visible and there is no better example of that than the new team skins. These team skins are very bright and visible making players stand out clearly in the environment. These team skins serve as a brightskin of sorts for the new Duel mode, increasing its overall competitive value.

Warfare is more or less a more polished version of Onslaught, which I personally lost interest in very soon after UT2004’s release. However, upon loading up a game of WAR-TorlanClassic I was treated to some pretty solid gameplay put to a chill-inducing remix of the UT99 track “Skyward Fire”. In keeping with Onslaught, the maps are either really good or extremely forgettable. The addition of the orb item (a pickup that allows you to instantly capture a node) doesn’t really change the gameplay all that much. It increases the pace of the match in a few cases, but it seems like the orb carrier gets shot down in almost every attempt. The hoverboard is lots of fun and makes traversing the huge maps considerably easier. My biggest issue with this mode is that the camera seems a bit too close to the vehicle now. It seemed like you had a lot more control over the the camera in UT2004.Warfare can be fun, but old school deathmatchers will ultimately prefer the other modes.

While Vehicle CTF does have its moments, I personally find it the weakest of the modes. The mode itself is a great addition, but the maps just seem collectively bland. Grabbing the flag on your hoverboard and latching onto a teammate’s vehicle for an epic flag run can incredibly intense and fun, but also be obnoxious at times. Getting zapped by a Necris tripod again and again on your way back just isn’t that fun. Overall, Warfare is the superior vehicle mode.

UT3’s soundtrack is awesome, a step up from UT2004, but not quite as legendary as UT99’s. The score is very much homage to the UT99 music style. In addition to the incredible remixes of classic UT tracks like “GoDown” and “Mech8”, the UT3 composers remain faithful to the UT99 feel with tracks like “Coret” and “RomUT02Mix”. It has that awesome surreal, dream-like and industrial feel that was completely lacking in the other sequels. The highlight of the pulse-pounding score is an incredible remix of the fan-favorite, “Forgone Destruction”. While this track does not appear in the game, it will likely be featured in a future Facing Worlds map. The soundtrack does have its dull moments though. Many tracks are too ambient and function simply as background music.

UT3 is not perfect. As I’m sure you’ve read in about twenty-seven other reviews, the user interface just sucks. I won’t go into detail, but the lack of options is disheartening. Thankfully, the beta patch has implemented custom FOV options and fixed some of the annoying menu issues. There a few minor glitches on some of the maps where your weapon will clip through a wall, but these are hard to notice. Some of the maps just don’t live up to what UE3 is capable, lacking in color and polish. (DM-Carbon Fire is border-line awful) Signature characters like Malcom, Brock, and Xan Kriegor are noticeably missing. There are a dozen other minor annoyances, but they are never really enough to truly taint the experience.

Unreal Tournament 3 is the true successor to the UT99 legacy. While it may not quite live up to the original in terms of polish and overall value, it’s the only deathmatch shooter since 1999 to come close. And in my book, close is ridiculously high praise. The Deathmatch and CTF modes alone make this a worthy purchase. This IS the tournament for the next generation.

The Good
-UT99 style gameplay and physics
-Quality Map Design & Atmosphere
-Most satisfying DM and CTF modes since 1999
-Warfare improves upon the Onslaught formula
-Excellent soundtrack that makes use of classic themes

The Not so Good
-Vehicle CTF feels weak compared to the other modes
-A few lackluster deathmatch maps
-Player skin selections are a bit disappointing; lacking in color
-Inferior GUI

ScreenShot00111.sized.jpg

YAH BOI!!!

Source: JonPlanet

dralla

check out the new 1up yours, lots of good UT info. Midway is running dedicated servers for the PS3 version :]

antiloop

mr stroke said:
Considering sales so far, anyone think its possible for this game to sell better on PS3/360 then on PC??

I surely hope so. It's a good game from what I have played, but I think the PC version will do good too in it's lifetime.

Just get some mods out there!

Halvie

Banned
Anyone know if the ps3 reviews are going up tomorrow? Also was wondering...can any usb keyboard and mouse work with the ps3 or are there more restrictions than that?

Kyoufu

Halvie said:
Anyone know if the ps3 reviews are going up tomorrow? Also was wondering...can any usb keyboard and mouse work with the ps3 or are there more restrictions than that?

Any USB will work fine.

bran

dralla said:
check out the new 1up yours, lots of good UT info. Midway is running dedicated servers for the PS3 version :]

Ensuring no host advantage and no quitters! Fucking A.

Dibbz

Has a release date for the PS3 PAL version been announced yet? I'm getting tempted to pick another shooter up for the triple, since I'm having a great time with CoD4.

Smokey

Does anybody know if certain KB+M will or won't work with the PS3?

I bought a Logitech mouse today and I'm looking around the house for a keyboard and I'm hoping they work.

MoxManiac

dralla said:

Nice. My only concern is when/if they turn them off. I hope UT3 PS3 will still be playable online a few years down the road!

"Nice. My only concern is when/if they turn them off. I hope UT3 PS3 will still be playable online a few years down the road!"

Supposedly, the dedicated server tool will allow you to run PS3 servers, meaning it'll pretty much be up for as long as you'd want to play it.

I've been kind of rethinking picking this game up following some recent events that I suspected would affect my enjoyment of the game, but after a few successful rounds of COD4 I think I'm ready for this. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the slower speed of the PS3 version might actually be a good thing for me right now.

Smokey

Smokey Bones said:
Does anybody know if certain KB+M will or won't work with the PS3?

I bought a Logitech mouse today and I'm looking around the house for a keyboard and I'm hoping they work.

McLovin

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on my ps3 right now. Do you guys think I should go out and purchase a wired one? I'm afraid the wireless one might have delay.

"I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on my ps3 right now. Do you guys think I should go out and purchase a wired one? I'm afraid the wireless one might have delay."

You'd have as much delay as you would if you used it on a pc...

"So? That doesn't mean certain ones won't have less problems than others."

A keyboard is a keyboard, you don't need something special here except it having some kind of usb connection on it.

Smokey

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"So? That doesn't mean certain ones won't have less problems than others."

A keyboard is a keyboard, you don't need something special here except it having some kind of usb connection on it.

Pretty simple.

I never thought I'd say this but... I... I think I'll go with the PS3 version (if at all). :eek:

Something about it on PC just felt... off. Though I thought the same about 2k3 way back and that ended up being my favourite overall once I got used to it, might be the same deal here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Borys said:
That's a given. This game so far is dead on the PC scene :(
It's not dead.

theBishop

Banned
I'm worried this is going to be too mindless for me. I'm excited about Warfare mode with the vehicles, and i'm definitely excited about the mod potential. But I'm not sure I still like this style of FPS. UT2003 was the last time I played a pure deathmatch game for any length of time. Return to Castle Wolfenstein hooked me on objective multiplayer, and i've never looked back.

CBal2424

Banned
Just one more day, I think im going to start out with using the controller, but I have a feeling ill be moving to kb/m. The joysticks on the six axis just dont go well with FPS's in my opinion. But then again I havnt used a kb/m with a FPS since Half Life :lol

GameGamer

theBishop said:
I'm worried this is going to be too mindless for me. I'm excited about Warfare mode with the vehicles, and i'm definitely excited about the mod potential. But I'm not sure I still like this style of FPS. UT2003 was the last time I played a pure deathmatch game for any length of time. Return to Castle Wolfenstein hooked me on objective multiplayer, and i've never looked back.

I'm in the same boat.

UT always seems like a one trick pony I played to death long ago.

Going to play it on the PS3 though just in case. But I don't even see it trumping CoD4.

theBishop

Banned
GameGamer said:
I'm in the same boat.

UT always seems like a one trick pony I played to death long ago.

Going to play it on the PS3 though just in case. But I don't even see it trumping CoD4.

That's why i'm so interested in the split screen options. If I knew I could get some quality local trashtalkin' multiplayer going (bonus points for online), I'd feel a lot better about it.

Top Bottom