• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Zophar

bad-joey said:
yeah it looks great but Im kinda worried about the slow paced gameplay. Maybe its the best for the control pad. Still, I wanna try it out for myself
It does look admittedly slower but not a whole lot- the only real difference is in the aiming speed which I imagine can be adjusted via look sensitivity or failing that, using a usb keyboard/mouse. UT has always been fairly fast-pased but not blazing quick like Q3A, I don't think it'll hurt it much. I actually disliked that they sped up the 2k games from UT99.

Zophar said:
It does look admittedly slower but not a whole lot- the only real difference is in the aiming speed which I imagine can be adjusted via look sensitivity or failing that, using a usb keyboard/mouse. UT has always been fairly fast-pased but not blazing quick like Q3A, I don't think it'll hurt it much. I actually disliked that they sped up the 2k games from UT99.
I find UT3 to be, in general, faster than Q3A thanks to dodging and whatnot. This looks damn near Halo speed. I don't know if that's necessarily the fact of the game being slowed down or just because it's played on a controller. It's most likely the latter, as I doubt they would slow it down that much.

bee said:
thats definetely not true.

Perhaps it's is that it's less of a constant pace. In Q3 you run at some speed, and you don't dodge, so you're always going that speed unless you slow down. In UT people kinda fly all over the place with the dodging and what not, makes it feel more frantic. Honestly I prefer the pace of Q3, but since it's no longer current, and for some reason just doesn't want to work right on my computer, UT3 makes a pretty good substitute.

I just finished upgrading my rig (C2D 6750, 8800GT, 2GB RAM) and the UT3 demo was the first thing I tried on it the other night. I'm very, very pleased with the way it looks and runs. My friends and I always have played UT at work when we get the chance (First, GOTY, then 2k4) and the new version really seems solid to me. The game seems to be a lot of fun, and the graphics are really something. As many have already said, it's like playing the child of UT and Gears of War except it runs at 1680x1050 at 60FPS.

I'm tempted to buy it but my back catalog is so huge right now, I'll wait until it's a little cheaper.

Defcon

Banned
26. Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
564 servers, 634 players

Not very popular online. I wonder if it's because you need a monster machine to run.

Defcon said:
564 servers, 634 players

Not very popular online. I wonder if it's because you need a monster machine to run.
You don't really need a monster machine though. Just one that's not ancient. The activity is a bit dissapointing though...

Draft

Defcon said:
564 servers, 634 players

Maybe everyone's just waiting for the patch that turns it into an actual PC game.

Draft said:
Maybe everyone's just waiting for the patch that turns it into an actual PC game.
Mostly everyone's big complaint is the UI right?
It is pretty damn terrible, also why can't I get to my friends list in SP even though I can get to it in MP? WTF Epic?

theBishop

Banned
Defcon said:
564 servers, 634 players

that can't be right. WarHawk has more than that at any given time, and UT is an online institution.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WHOAguitarninja said:
You don't really need a monster machine though. Just one that's not ancient. The activity is a bit dissapointing though...
A big portion of the Unreal community who enjoyed Onslaught bailed out when Battlefield 2 came out. The people still addicted to deathmatch are probably playing UTk4 with minimum settings and bright skins.

I like the speed of UT3 and the maps are well designed but the weapons just didn't do it for me. They just aren't as satisfying as those in modern shooters or even UT2k4's Ballistics Weapon Mod.

Nizz

bad-joey said:
yeah it looks great but Im kinda worried about the slow paced gameplay. Maybe its the best for the control pad. Still, I wanna try it out for myself

I never got to see the latest videos posted here, but I really hope they didn't slow the gameplay that much. I'm all for a twitchy shooter on console. Maybe the person playing in the videos has the sensitivity kind of low? I'm sure I'll be able to crank the sensitivity up on this anyway, but I wonder if there'll be an option to turn up the gameplay speed itself? What console FPS gameplay speedwise would you guys compare the videos to? COD4? Resistance? Halo?

Smokey

Defcon said:
564 servers, 634 players

That can't be right...can it?

If so then wow. I REALLY wanna buy this next week on the PS3 but I'm worried about the online community and seeing the PC numbers don't help.

Also since this is a PC/PS3 thread, what's a good gaming mouse(not too expensive) and keyboard to get for this game?

lexi

Banned
If I could be accused of being a fanboy for anything of anything, UT would be it, and I refuse to play it online right now.

I haven't gone too deep or figured ways around some shit yet but here's a short list of my complaints.

1) I edit the inis. Many people do, so what? Stop asking me to revert them to default everytime I start the fucking game.
2) The server browser is a steaming pile of shit. Get this fucking console shit outta here.
3) Let me bind the scoreboard to tab. Jesus fucking christ. Always hated F1 as the scoreboard, luckily it was always easily changed, not so much this time.
4) Here's a revolutionary idea, show the ping in the scoreboard? Doesn't even Halo show ping in the scoreboard?
5) Menu UI and options are just terrible. Console regressive shit here, which I thought they would have fixed from the demo, given the massive thread on the official forums complaining about it.
6) Crosshair customization, UT2004 had it, and it was great. Again, why regress here? Games that are sequels should PROGRESS, the shit that was in UT2004 should be in UT3 by default.

There's more, but I'm not going to get into them. This shit had better be patched QUICK or the game is as good as DOA.

Draft said:

This comment resonates with me. What the hell have they done with UT? I can see the core awesome gameplay shimmering through the insipid console shit.

fps fanatic said:
I never got to see the latest videos posted here, but I really hope they didn't slow the gameplay that much. I'm all for a twitchy shooter on console. Maybe the person playing in the videos has the sensitivity kind of low? I'm sure I'll be able to crank the sensitivity up on this anyway, but I wonder if there'll be an option to turn up the gameplay speed itself? What console FPS gameplay speedwise would you guys compare the videos to? COD4? Resistance? Halo?

I think it was the pad that was making it so slow. It looked about Halo speed.

WHOAguitarninja said:
I think it was the pad that was making it so slow. It looked about Halo speed.

Er, no. Let's not be silly here. It was about Resistance speed, maybe a little slower.

Smokey Bones said:
If so then wow. I REALLY wanna buy this next week on the PS3 but I'm worried about the online community and seeing the PC numbers don't help.

Well... not buying it isn't going to help either, is it?

"2) The server browser is a steaming pile of shit. Get this fucking console shit outta here."

Truth

"4) Here's a revolutionary idea, show the ping in the scoreboard? Doesn't even Halo show ping in the scoreboard?"

Fixed

"5) Menu UI and options are just terrible. Console regressive shit here, which I thought they would have fixed from the demo, given the massive thread on the official forums complaining about it."

Truth

"6) Crosshair customization, UT2004 had it, and it was great. Again, why regress here? Games that are sequels should PROGRESS, the shit that was in UT2004 should be in UT3 by default."

Pseudo-fixed.

The good news is that Epic is pretty aggressively patching the game. The first patch is massive and second patch will have webadmin which is happy news for everyone.

Draft

The fact that it's slower than some... console FPS is just so sad.

Oh UT. I remember when you were the game that kept Quake honest. And look at you now.

Look. At. You. Now.

You know when I am in game I have the biggest grin on my face.
When I am wrestling the UI? Not so much.
I really hope Epic is working hard on getting this sorted out.

"The fact that it's slower than some... console FPS is just so sad.

Oh UT. I remember when you were the game that kept Quake honest. And look at you now.

Look. At. You. Now."

The fact that the console version is slower than some console game?

Brilliant.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Er, no. Let's not be silly here. It was about Resistance speed, maybe a little slower.

Well... not buying it isn't going to help either, is it?

Never played resistance, so I can't really use it to judge. I'll probably play it sometime in january, though, which I'm looking forward to.

The fact that it's slower than some... console FPS is just so sad.

Look. At. You. Now.
PC version is still very fast, very similar in speed to previous titles in the series.

Nizz

AltogetherAndrews said:
To be fair, I said Resistance. Resistance is pretty fast. If it was Halo, then yeah... tears.

Yeah, Resistance is probably the most "PC" Console shooter out there.

Ok, I can get with this. I loved Resistance. When I first got Resistance, I said to myself, the pace/gameplay speed seems PC like. So to me, UT3 looking like it plays similar to Resistance is good news. It's already pre-ordered. I know some PC players are kind of down on this title, after all this series has always had its roots on PC. And it seems that more PC titles seem to be developed with console versions in mind. Well, as a console gamer, I'm pretty excited about UT3 coming next week. But I can understand PC player's frustrations...

fps fanatic said:
Ok, I can get with this. I loved Resistance. When I first got Resistance, I said to myself, the pace/gameplay speed seems PC like. So to me, UT3 looking like it plays similar to Resistance is good news. It's already pre-ordered. I know some PC players are kind of down on this title, after all this series has always had its roots on PC. And it seems that more PC titles seem to be developed with console versions in mind. Well, as a console gamer, I'm pretty excited about UT3 coming next week. But I can understand PC player's frustrations...
Hell, I may even be picking up the PS3 version, my PC can't really hang with the big dogs anymore until I have cash for a graphics card :(

So, I don't have the PC version yet, but did it ship with more graphics setting options? Can you degrunge and unsmudge it further? I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they decided to add clutter to the UT experience. :/

AltogetherAndrews said:
So, I don't have the PC version yet, but did it ship with more graphics setting options? Can you degrunge and unsmudge it further? I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they decided to add clutter to the UT experience. :/
It still kinda looks like Gears :\
Although some of the maps in the full game have a TON more color than those demo maps. Also for some reason turning of dynamic lights makes colors pop better.

lexi

Banned
There's a first patch out? I heard of a beta patch being out. lol, beta patch.

If I can say anything good about Epic though it would be about their patching, which is probably the best and quickest in the business.

"6) Crosshair customization, UT2004 had it, and it was great. Again, why regress here? Games that are sequels should PROGRESS, the shit that was in UT2004 should be in UT3 by default."

Pseudo-fixed.

How is this psuedo-fixed? Can I change the textures myself now like you had to do in the early days of UT2004?

Everdred

This is probably a retarded question, but this will never come to Steam will it? That would make life so much easier.

"How is this psuedo-fixed? Can I change the textures myself now like you had to do in the early days of UT2004?"

There's some really hack-ish sorta...thing...I dunno quite how it works, but you can customize your crosshair but it seems like it's still sorta based on the stock texture. It's a step in the right direction at least. They added a new simple crosshair that's...actually like a small cross hair instead of that massive crap they had before.

This is all stuff in the beta patch.

Teknopathetic said:
"How is this psuedo-fixed? Can I change the textures myself now like you had to do in the early days of UT2004?"

There's some really hack-ish sorta...thing...I dunno quite how it works, but you can customize your crosshair but it seems like it's still sorta based on the stock texture. It's a step in the right direction at least. They added a new simple crosshair that's...actually like a small cross hair instead of that massive crap they had before.

This is all stuff in the beta patch.

What you do is add certain comments to each weapon in the ini. You can change both the type of crosshair and location of the crosshair, which should address the problem of some hitscan weapons not hitting right on the crosshair. Somewhat of a bummer that it has to be done in the ini, but it's something.

spootime

lockii said:
If I could be accused of being a fanboy for anything of anything, UT would be it, and I refuse to play it online right now.

I haven't gone too deep or figured ways around some shit yet but here's a short list of my complaints.

1) I edit the inis. Many people do, so what? Stop asking me to revert them to default everytime I start the fucking game.
2) The server browser is a steaming pile of shit. Get this fucking console shit outta here.
3) Let me bind the scoreboard to tab. Jesus fucking christ. Always hated F1 as the scoreboard, luckily it was always easily changed, not so much this time.
4) Here's a revolutionary idea, show the ping in the scoreboard? Doesn't even Halo show ping in the scoreboard?
5) Menu UI and options are just terrible. Console regressive shit here, which I thought they would have fixed from the demo, given the massive thread on the official forums complaining about it.
6) Crosshair customization, UT2004 had it, and it was great. Again, why regress here? Games that are sequels should PROGRESS, the shit that was in UT2004 should be in UT3 by default.

There's more, but I'm not going to get into them. This shit had better be patched QUICK or the game is as good as DOA.

This comment resonates with me. What the hell have they done with UT? I can see the core awesome gameplay shimmering through the insipid console shit.

What do you mean console shit? It dosent let you pick servers from a list???

"What do you mean console shit? It dosent let you pick servers from a list???"

No, it does, the server browser just doesn't have all the features that are pretty much standard. I.E. adding favorites by IP, direct connecting to server via IP (without having to go through the console), seeing what players are on the server, better ping reporting, etc.

M.J. Doja

Banned
My mouse can not click anything past the initial splashscreens. main menu it can move around but no clicky. tried reinstalling the game and drivers.. :( support for this game is frustrating.

dralla

Teknopathetic said:
"What do you mean console shit? It dosent let you pick servers from a list???"

No, it does, the server browser just doesn't have all the features that are pretty much standard. I.E. adding favorites by IP, direct connecting to server via IP (without having to go through the console), seeing what players are on the server, better ping reporting, etc.

use all-seeing eye? unless it hasn't been added to compatability yet

yoopoo

Banned
Defcon said:
564 servers, 634 players

UT 99 has more players than that on weekends. haha

dralla

Teknopathetic said:
"use all-seeing eye? unless it hasn't been added to compatability yet"

Extra unnecessary hassle, though.

how so? browsing the servers without launching the game is more convienent than using the in-game browser. I don't think I ever use game browsers anymore

"how so? browsing the servers without launching the game is more convienent than using the in-game browser. I don't think I ever use game browsers anymore"

Mainly because unless you're going to exit UT3 everytime you want to change servers, it's still gonna come down to using the in-game browser. You're going to have to load the game no matter what, it doesn't really matter if you're browsing for servers beforehand or afterwards, loading the game will happen. That's why external game browsers aren't particularly useful. They don't save time and they don't really do...anything that you wouldn't do in game. Of course in the case of UT3 that's different, but here's hoping they decide to fix it instead.

mr stroke

Defcon said:
564 servers, 634 players

Those numbers can't be right(at least I hope not)
-dont need a monster rig to run it
-not many huge releases on PC this fall, this should be THE game for PC this year.WTF!!!
-based of the hundreds of thousands that played the last unreal, it just doesn't seem right

I really really really hope those numbers arent true..maybe everyones holding out for the PS3 version?:lol

Dear Epic, please don't mess this up on PS3, the way Sony was hyping this at E3 a couple of years ago you would think this game would have gottin Gears type advertising and hype. This could and should be a huge killer app for the system..please please don't let us down..

Top Bottom