• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Halvie

Banned
Well I guess you guys don't agree lol. Textures look like complete ass too me which they didn't in gears or running on my pc. Not sure what you guys were trying to run the pc demo at but at 1280x1024 and pretty high quality settings it ran pretty well on my pc. Oh well...

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
If you want somewhat organized CTF, idle on IRC in #ut3ctf on irc.GameRadius.org. That's where the pugs start. I don't really do the pug thing, though.
Oh, I was hoping to scrim with people I knew. No worries, I idle on gamesurge as it is...I guess i'll look for a group to stick with.

"Oh, I was hoping to scrim with people I knew. No worries, I idle there as it is...I guess i'll look for a group to stick with."

My clan (and I imagine a few others) are currently somewhat inactive due to the holiday season. That and very conflicting schedules amongst some members as is, so we're not even practicing much. Should get better in January, though. With the addition of WebAdmin (Hopefully, supposed to come in patch 2), most ladders/leagues aren't even kicking off until Jan anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Halvie said:
Is anyone else kind of disappointed in the graphics on the ps3 version? My pc (amd 4000+ x1950xt) kills the ps3 version. The textures look like utter crap on it. Still pretty fun from what little I have played, but Epic was completely wrong when saying it looks better than Gears. Gears walks this game imo.
The PS3 version uses the highest resolution versions of the textures available (exactly the same as the PC version). If you run the PC version at 1280x720 on the same display, you'll find that there is no difference in detail when the PC version is using the highest detail setting. Go ahead and compare for yourself.

The only difference I've noticed between them is the addition of motion blur on PS3 and the fact that the PC version can operate at higher resolutions and framerates (oh and AA support with DX10). The actual visuals, however, are the same between the two (when the PC version is maxed out).

Lefty42o

Banned
Halvie said:
Well I guess you guys don't agree lol. Textures look like complete ass too me which they didn't in gears or running on my pc. Not sure what you guys were trying to run the pc demo at but at 1280x1024 and pretty high quality settings it ran pretty well on my pc. Oh well...

i thought the pc demo didn't have the hi res textures. as well as other tweaks.

theBishop

Banned
Halvie said:

I don't agree with the textures complaint at all, but I was expecting to be more impressed. Seems like the PC version is about the same, though.

Firewire

Banned
theBishop said:
I don't agree with the textures complaint at all, but I was expecting to be more impressed. Seems like the PC version is about the same, though.

I was thinking it would be pretty much like Gears & it pretty well is. But there are a couple of maps in UT3 that look way better than Gears. That space station one is awesome beautiful!

theBishop

Banned
Firewire said:
I was thinking it would be pretty much like Gears & it pretty well is. But there are a couple of maps in UT3 that look way better than Gears. That space station one is awesome beautiful!

To me, UT3 looks like they took a typical Gears map and stretched it out 5x its size adding bland-looking environmental textures between the landmarks that actually got well-polished. At its best, it looks as good or better than Gears, but most of time, it looks worse.

Synless

Firewire said:
The space station is ridiculously awesome looking.

dark10x

theBishop said:
To me, UT3 looks like they took a typical Gears map and stretched it out 5x its size adding bland-looking environmental textures between the landmarks that actually got well-polished. At its best, it looks as good or better than Gears, but most of time, it looks worse.
You're right, it is not as consistent and I'm sure it really is the size of the maps that are the cause. The attention to detail in each of the areas present in Gears was pretty insane and, really, there were very few maps from the start. Plus, the game used a lot of simplistic city structures with cool landmarks strewn about within the environment to give everything a stylized feel.

Firewire

Banned
theBishop said:

It is kinda weird though, there are some bland spots & then some that look highly polished & then theres the space station!

cameltoe said:
my wife wanted me to pick up Superbad......

So I did..

untitled.jpg

And a little somethin for the effort! :D

WTF, you have a PS3 and you didn't get the Blu-ray version of Superbad?

Epic Fail.

Firewire said:
It is kinda weird though, there are some bland spots & then some that look highly polished & then theres the space station!
it's a lot faster paced than gears, with a LOT more going on at once.

just saw the space station for the first time... jesus that thing's pretty. a lot of levels have a surprising amount of detail outside of the arenas.

Lefty42o

Banned
plagiarize said:
it's a lot faster paced than gears, with a LOT more going on at once.

just saw the space station for the first time... jesus that thing's pretty. a lot of levels have a surprising amount of detail outside of the arenas.
:D

Firewire

Banned
plagiarize said:
dunno if you noticed, but i didn't score anything for the first few minutes. i was just wondering around trying to find a weapon and getting continually distracted by the starscape and such.
Hey I just got your friend invite in UT3, but I somehow screwed it up, can you send me another? Spartan666

wowfactor

Banned
sprocket said:
Wow I am very impressed with epic here.

Hopefully EPIC is getting out the the optimized code to all ps3 devs with the UE3 license.

Also if you think these graphics are bad or worse than GOW you are just showing your fanboyism.. or have overly fond memories of GOW.

This is a very true statement.

Zophar

theBishop said:
Played Gears lately? Gears was mindblowing a year ago but it has started to show its age. The game still looks great but UE3 as well as other rendering engines have long surpassed it. I played Gears the other day to see how it holds up to the very similar Uncharted and things like its extremely weak lighting engine and relatively lower polygon count really started to stand out. It's still one of the best looking console games out there but admittedlty more recent efforts really smoke it. As far as UT3 is concerned, it's may just not be impressing you as much as the UE3 lustre has worn off by now.

Lefty42o

Banned
plagiarize said:
dunno if you noticed, but i didn't score anything for the first few minutes. i was just wondering around trying to find a weapon and getting continually distracted by the starscape and such.

the low gravity was messing me all up.

and i actually was able to talk with a couple other players that match. i think the mics are fine and its just that no one has one.

Lefty42o said:
the low gravity was messing me all up.

and i actually was able to talk with a couple other players that match. i think the mics are fine and its just that no one has one.
i didn't think we were going to turn that one around like we did.

Firewire

Banned
plagiarize said:
Something weird is happening, I accept the invite and then it wants me to send the same invite back to you, but you don't show up on my friend list! If you can, try a PSN invite!

Lefty42o

Banned
Zophar said:
Played Gears lately? Gears was mindblowing a year ago but it has started to show its age. The game still looks great but UE3 as well as other rendering engines have long surpassed it. I played Gears the other day to see how it holds up to the very similar Uncharted and things like its extremely weak lighting engine and relatively lower polygon count really started to stand out. It's still one of the best looking console games out there but admittedlty more recent efforts really smoke it. As far as UT3 is concerned, it's may just not be impressing you as much as the UE3 lustre has worn off by now.

wow this could not by so far from the truth. gears is still one of the best looking games. i play it nightly.

i think it looks very similar to ut3 and if one is better its not by much. there are no games, besides maybe crysis on a super rig, that SMOKE it. and its not fair to try to compare it to games like uncharted cause they are 2 very diff types of games.

shoot even halo 3 is up there in graphics. but to say anything smokes gears of war is just crazy talk

edit. also funny your account says last time you logged into gears of war was july. so please stop trolling.

Lefty42o

Banned
Firewire said:
Something weird is happening, I accept the invite and then it wants me to send the same invite back to you, but you don't show up on my friend list! If you can, try a PSN invite!

thats how it works. he should show up after a few mins.

plagiarize said:
i didn't think we were going to turn that one around like we did.

its never on how you start just how you finish :D

Halvie

Banned
I wish I still had a 360 to compare the two right next to each other, but I still think this game looks lackluster. I don't remember Gears having 80% of its textures look like garbage. Maybe I am just over the gears/UE style of graphics.

Lefty42o

Banned
Halvie said:
I wish I still had a 360 to compare the two right next to each other, but I still think this game looks lackluster. I don't remember Gears having 80% of its textures look like garbage. Maybe I am just over the gears/UE style of graphics.

some maps are clearly better than others. and it shows. but overall i have to give ut3 the slight edge. i was highly impressed by the customization and the single player cut scenes.

dralla said:
the vCTF maps are gorgous. necropolis is hawt

have you tried warfare any? played a lil last night very fun gametype

Zophar

Lefty42o said:
wow this could not by so far from the truth. gears is still one of the best looking games. i play it nightly.

i think it looks very similar to ut3 and if one is better its not by much. there are no games, besides maybe crysis on a super rig, that SMOKE it. and its not fair to try to compare it to games like uncharted cause they are 2 very diff types of games.

shoot even halo 3 is up there in graphics. but to say anything smokes gears of war is just crazy talk

edit. also funny your account says last time you logged into gears of war was july. so please stop trolling.

(just FYI I've been without internet at home since then, I still play offline and next time my box gets hooked up it'll reflect that)

Sure Gears' textures are great, some of the best out there. However, playing through campaign the lighting is awful, almost non-existent and there's a disturbing lack of AF which blurs out almost everything beyond 100 paces.

Lefty42o

Banned
Zophar said:
(just FYI I've been without internet at home since then, I still play offline and next time my box gets hooked up it'll reflect that)

Sure Gears' textures are great, some of the best out there. However, playing through campaign the lighting is awful, almost non-existent and there's a disturbing lack of AF which blurs out almost everything beyond 100 paces.

what, it says you played halo 3 2 days ago. the lies just keep coming. you played gears last on july 5th. halo 3 dec 9th. you only have 100 and some change in gears of war so it shows you have played it very little and likley none of the new maps.

so please just stop

next i have no issues with the af in gears. 100 feet ? the maps are not nearly that big. once again your embellishment. so stop

dark10x

Halvie said:
What textures are you looking at? I see high-res textures all over the place and they look awesome (and exactly the same as the PC version).

Gears had a lot of weak texture tucked in with the high-res ones, but it was done in such a way that it was easy to ignore.

Lefty42o

Banned
dark10x said:
What textures are you looking at? I see high-res textures all over the place and they look awesome (and exactly the same as the PC version).

Gears had a lot of weak texture tucked in with the high-res ones, but it was done in such a way that it was easy to ignore.

i think he is playing the beta demo that did not have the hi res textures. i mentioned it a page or so ago but was ignored

McLovin

Trade in value was $20 thats the last time I buy from electronic boutique. Since I only opened one I traded the other one in for Orange box. And its not fanboyism if you think the game looks bad. I mean nobody thinks this game could have been polished up a little more?

Lefty42o

Banned
McLovin said:
Trade in value was $20 thats the last time I buy from electronic boutique. Since I only opened one I traded the other one in for Orange box. And its not fanboyism if you think the game looks bad. I mean nobody thinks this game could have been polished up a little more?

nope. aside from possible voice chat issues which i am not even sure is an issue no more this game is smooth and sexy. fast paced and well balanced.

sees its just not your cup of tea

next i doubt the trade in value was 20. its usually 30-35 for new games.

Dante

Halvie said:

:lol can you post some shots of these supposedly "garbage textures" because I sure as hell haven't noticed any. Flickering shadows maybe....

Mods take time. Maps take less time, but still take time. It's not like the rare console shooter with a map builder where you just go in and drop a few things around and call it a new map. These are entirely new creations, and the program to build them is very robust, and thus quite complicated. It takes awhile.

Assuming this doesn't die an early death due to poor sales, I'd look for the first deluge of custom maps in a couple weeks, and early versions of mods to start hitting in a few months.

Halvie

Banned
Nah I don't have a digital camera. That has to be the worst shot of gears ever posted or my memory of the game is really fuzzy.

Dante

Halvie said:
Nah I don't have a digital camera. That has to be the worst shot of gears ever posted or my memory of the game is really fuzzy.

I think you just haven't fired up Gears in awhile, it still looks great, it's just the bar has been reaised by games like Uncharted, and Assasins Creed. Texturing is great in Unreal IMO My problem with the engine is the damn flickering shadows, and shaders tend to look a little plasticy.

Dante said:
I think you just haven't fired up Gears in awhile, it still looks great, it's just the bar has been reaised by games like Uncharted, and Assasins Creed. Texturing is great in Unreal IMO My problem with the engine is the damn flickering shadows, and shaders tend to look a little plasticy.
have you tried adjusting the post processing effects?

So I'm majorly pissed at the PC version right now. Whatever they did to version 1.1, it made the game stutter every time I turn in most maps. Some maps are completely okay, but most are aweful, and completely unplayable.

Top Bottom