• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

h3ro said:
I hope the fact that the PS3 version seems to be getting lots of attention and selling well means that the MOD community really starts churning out some PS3 mods soon!

Anyone have any info on when Epic plans to start the "Port to PS3" function?
i hope it isn't too soon actually. i hate it when the pure servers start to dry up... and you start getting fed downloads whenever you try and join a game.

more maps though, would be nice.

Teknopathetic said:
"What are you basing this on, that it looks prettier? Cause that's the ONLY thing it has on UT2004 right now. UT2004 is in a different league compared to this game right now."

I pretty much can't play UT2K4 anymore after UT3. UT2K4 is pretty floaty in comparison and the hitscan domination is rather boring.

I *do* sorta miss some of the acrobatics folks could pull off with the shieldgun, though.
ding ding ding ding ding.

Cheeto

mauaus said:
Get the ps3 version its getting a lot more attention
meloan-facepalm-200x120.jpg

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Aeon712 said:
Note to self, never accept game invite from Tonx, that game was so laggy :(.

No excuses for your inability to beat me!

Sorry, my roommate was was torrentting and i didn't know. :(

theBishop

Banned
Firewire said:
Played one round of VCTF last night, lots of fun, but damn some of the vehicles are crazy to use.

I like the "features" of the vehicles, but I don't like the feel of them. If Epic is listening: please give an option for WarHawk-style controls (R2 = accelerate, L2 = Brake/Reverse).

Nightz

After averaging about 20 kills/20 deaths in Deathmatches yesterday, I fired up the game this morning, played 2 games and won both (40 kills/10 deaths and 40 kills/12 deaths). Here I was thinking to myself "OMG I don't really suck!" when I realized
that I was playing with only 2 other people and like 7 bots.
:lol

Firewire

Banned
theBishop said:
I like the "features" of the vehicles, but I don't like the feel of them. If Epic is listening: please give an option for WarHawk-style controls (R2 = accelerate, L2 = Brake/Reverse).

Is there a way to change the control scheme for vehicle's only? I thought it might be possible, but I forgot to check it out last night.

"What is the Warfare mode exactly? All I've done in this game is TDM, DM, a couple rounds of CTF and one round of VCTF."

Each team has two nodes and a core. You have to destroy the two nodes and replace them with your orb to gain control of them so you can eventually destroy the core. First to destroy the core wins.

Firewire

Banned
M3Freak said:
Damn right!!! Let's do it TONIGHT!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!1

Your a sneaky one, you got a good 4 or 5 kills on me by sneaking up behind me! I will seek my revenge with the almighty rocket launcher!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"What is the Warfare mode exactly? All I've done in this game is TDM, DM, a couple rounds of CTF and one round of VCTF."

Each team has 2 nodes and a core. You have to destroy the two nodes and replace them with your orb to gain conrol of them so you can eventually destroy the core. First to destroy the core wins.

Ok got it!

"Ok got it!"

Thinking again I think it's only one node. I thought I remember one of them having two though... Unless it was just my team was doing so bad we had to recapturing ours and theirs.

The Chef

Firewire said:
Your a sneaky one, you got a good 4 or 5 kills on me by sneaking up behind me! I will seek my revenge with the almighty rocket launcher!

Ok got it!

Ok I need to get in on this action. Whats you psn Fire?

Poigea

I picked up the PS3 version last night, and played a couple of online matches. Fun as hell!

I am not a hardcore fan of Unreal (though I do own 2k3 and 2k4 for PC) but this is awesome. I haven't played an Unreal game in so long I forgot how addicting this game is. Good thing I waited until finals are over!

PSN: Poigea
Feel free to add me, I will hopefully be on later tonight.

I picked it up for PS3 yesterday...and I gotta say to the haters in the supposed "slow" complaint...Slow, what? I didn't see no stinkin' SLOW!

For gods sakes I have videos to prove you whiners wrong: YouTube.

Cheeto

Carlos 360 said:
I picked it up for PS3 yesterday...and I gotta say to the haters in the supposed "slow" complaint...Slow, what? I didn't see no stinkin' SLOW!

Then you obviously never played Unreal before,or haven't for a long time.

"I picked it up for PS3 yesterday...and I gotta say to the haters in the supposed "slow" complaint...Slow, what? I didn't see no stinkin' SLOW!

For gods sakes I have videos to prove you whiners wrong: YouTube."

I'm not sure what your getting at. It's a known fact it's faster on pc.

Don't judge me, I HAVE played a Unreal title before.

Its not THAT slow that you guys make it out to be. Its more than playable.

So, please. *has hand up"

Wether its fast or not on PC doesn't make a difference. Its still a fun game, and you guys don't need to be jumping around PS3 owners' necks and telling them the PS3 version sucks because of speed. Its people like you who ruin the fun of purchasing a title that was deemed as exclusive to PS3.

wowfactor

Banned
Carlos 360 said:

I think they said it is slower than the pc version but it is still faster than or same as 2k4.

"Don't judge me, I HAVE played a Unreal title before.

Its not THAT slow that you guys make it out to be. Its more than playable.

So, please. *has hand up""

Knock it off. No one said it's unplayable by any means but it plays nicer at the faster speed it was meant to be played at on the pc.

"Wether its fast or not on PC doesn't make a difference. Its still a fun game, and you guys don't need to be jumping around PS3 owners' necks and telling them the PS3 version sucks because of speed. Its people like you who ruin the fun of purchasing a title that was deemed as exclusive to PS3."

Exclusive if you count out the superior pc version huh?

"oh my gad, the PES3 sucks because UT3 is better on PC!"

Goddamn fanboys, let them enjoy their fucking purchase!

Oh, I'm cocky now? Last time I checked I saw you and others acting cocky, because you guys think you got the "best" version of UT3.

Don't get me wrong, of course its better, OF course....What you don't get is that you're acting like the Xbox 360 fanboys. Or hell, worse than them.

The Chef

Carlos 360 said:

Oh, I'm cocky now? Last time I checked I saw you and others acting cocky, because you guys think you got the "best" version of UT3.

Don't get me wrong, of course its better, OF course....What you don't get is that you're acting like the Xbox 360 fanboys. Or hell, worse than them.

Dont start this fanboy shit - no one is saying the PS3 version sucks.
Mark Reign said UT3 is slower on the ps3 for obvious reasons. On PC you are sitting right in front of you monitor and you have keyboard and mouse setup so its much faster. Making it slightly slower for ps3 allows better use of the controller, but the game is still fast as hell.

AKS

It was made slower on the PS3 so it's more playable with the controller. PC only uses K/M, so it can be faster without screwing over someone trying to keep up with a control pad. Both versions are awesome.

"Goddamn fanboys, let them enjoy their fucking purchase!

Don't get me wrong, of course its better, OF course....What you don't get is that you're acting like the Xbox 360 fanboys. Or hell, worse than them."

Honestly now, you pretty much brought this up out of the blue. You just admitted it plays better on pc and that's all we said a while ago. No one has brought that up in a while just drop it your picking a fight for no reason. Enough.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And? The game is plenty fast on PS3 as well. People will have different preferences on what they prefer. If you really want to increase the speed on PS3, just use one of the mutators that does so. :p

Personally, I think the game feels a bit more solid at a slightly lower speed (and I've played the crap out of all previous UT games).

AKS

Carlos 360 said:

There is no "best" version. Both versions can coexist just fine. The PC version is great for brutal lightning fast action, and they can visit the PS3 version and feel right at home with K/M support. The PS3 owners will be thankful for the PC version because of the mod support it will provide. I've also read PC gamers have a shortage of opponents; visit us PS3 owners on the PSN when PC traffic is too slow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AltogetherAndrews said:
Tearing and sub-30fps moments? Fuck this, I guess I'm going with the PC version after all.
What, when? Who posted that?

I'm curious to know which map was being played with how many bots/players. I've played quite a bit of the game and it's never dropped from 30 fps for me.

What kind of PC do you have?

The Chef

AltogetherAndrews said:
Tearing and sub-30fps moments? Fuck this, I guess I'm going with the PC version after all.

dont buy into it - I play all the damn time an I have solid fps
and wtf, who said there is screen tearing??

Firewire

Banned
Carlos 360 said:

Just Stop.

If you have read this thread you would know that PC & PS3 players have been very friendly with each other. The fact is both groups are here to appreciate & find info about the game. There hasn't been any BS about PC vs PS3 in this thread. All the info presented in this thread comes from either Epic or the very knowledgeable PC players in this thread like Teckno.

There are allot of PS3 players that are unfamiliar with the Unreal series, and allot of the PC gamers in the know have been very helpful in answering our questions. So leave the bullshit for some other thread.

dark10x said:
What, when? Who posted that?

I'm curious to know which map was being played with how many bots/players. I've played quite a bit of the game and it's never dropped from 30 fps for me.

What kind of PC do you have?

I posted that. I just experienced both in one match. Tearing is subtle but it's certainly there, and the game damned near froze when shit blew up near a flag point. I think the map was called Sandstorm, vehicle CTF against bots.

As for the PC, it ran the demo smooth as butter so I had initially decided to get that version, but I kind of figured the slightly slower pace of the PS3 version would fit me and my newly calibrated equilibrium better. But while I guess I can live with 30fps, tolerating less than that and tearing is going to be a challenge.

tanod

when is my burrito
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

and purposefully so. It was a design choice.

Not directed at you but don't get the slower movement speed confused with the frame rate which is a rock solid 30fps like RFOM.

steve

Banned
Only time I managed to get slowdown was in that one map where you gotta attack/protect the cores, I hopped in the vehicle in that map and it got a bit choppy.

Otherwise, it ran steady as a rock all night that I played it. Gorgeous game.

tanod said:
and purposefully so. It was a design choice.

Not directed at you but don't get the slower movement speed confused with the frame rate which is a rock solid 30fps like RFOM.

Ahem. Maybe my PS3 is about to croak, but I really wouldn't label what I just played as being anywhere near rock solid.

I havent really had any framerate slow-down, even with 15 bots. But I have seen screen tearing. Specifically on the city-themed maps, or at least thats where I noticed it most. (PS3 version)

Hmm, I might pick up the ps3 version since so many of the people from resistance are playing it... Is there a demo up for it per chance or do they plan on releasing one?

To be clear, it's certainly nothing that should steer anyone away from it and I'd typically be pretty forgiving of flaws in a game with this much shit going on at any given time, it's just a borderline dealbreaker for me considering that I've always been a performance whore when it comes to UT games. Not sure what I was thinking getting the PS3 version.

Firewire

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Hmm, I might pick up the ps3 version since so many of the people from resistance are playing it... Is there a demo up for it per chance or do they plan on releasing one?

No demo, theres only an old trailer on PSN for UT3.

its weird there would be any tearing at all though since I read they have v-sync enabled on the PS3 version. Maybe it has to do with the TV display format? I have it hooked up using HDMI, running in native 720p/60hz

VASPER

Banned
OK so i am a super hard core consol FPS fan, and i picked this game up yesterday (UT3) for my PS3. I played a couple of games and while i enjoyed it, its not doing it for me i have fun but i dont think that the controls traslated well, and i dont think that the games playes all that well on a consol. My only other complaint is that it looks like crap on a SDTV, but looks fucking great in 720p. So i quckly went back to playing halo and COD4 on my 360.

The Chef

AltogetherAndrews said:
To be clear, it's certainly nothing that should steer anyone away from it and I'd typically be pretty forgiving of flaws in a game with this much shit going on at any given time, it's just a borderline dealbreaker for me considering that I've always been a performance whore when it comes to UT games. Not sure what I was thinking getting the PS3 version.

Are you sure it wasn't just the server you were playing on?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Ahem. Maybe my PS3 is about to croak, but I really wouldn't label what I just played as being anywhere near rock solid.
i've only been playing online and i've notice no slow down. it's not uncommon for bots to put additional strain on things though. if it takes a bunch of bots to cause the game to stutter that's impressive as hell.

there's a very easy way to fix slowdown, and that's to just grit your teeth and play with real people. there's plenty of us about, and my games with fellow gaffers have all been fun.

for any posturing i may have made about my ranking, that's not what i'm playing for. i'm playing for fun. i played a few rounds of CTF last night with Gattsu and got my ass kicked for the first three or four games. hadn't played it yet. didn't know the maps. was way out of practice with the translocator. killed my rank, but i didn't care. we had a bunch of fun... and i felt like i came on leaps and bounds.

eh, maybe i'm being a bit hard on you, but it sort of feels like complaining about the game not running at a locked framerate at 30 fps when playing with lots of bots is kind of like complaining that a racing game performs terribly when you try and do all the races in reverse.

i know it might ring hollow now, but frankly, i hadn't been good at an online game in years, and hadn't played ut2k4 in years either. i didn't care about rank. i'm learning the game in a trial by fire.

Firewire

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"No demo, theres only an old trailer on PSN for UT3."

I'll hold off then until I find it used or I can bum it off of someone.

Its a good game, allot of fun to play with a ton of map choices.

See if you can rent it somewhere, to try it out.

Top Bottom