• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

"Its a good game, allot of fun to play with a ton of map choices.

See if you can rent it somewhere, to try it out."

Ah, I forgot about renting... It's been so long since I've rented a game it never even crossed my mind. Don't worry I'm still getting my fill playing it almost everyday on pc but since a lot of people I played resistance with and other people are getting together I wouldn't mind getting it again if I like the controls.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AltogetherAndrews said:
I posted that. I just experienced both in one match. Tearing is subtle but it's certainly there, and the game damned near froze when shit blew up near a flag point. I think the map was called Sandstorm, vehicle CTF against bots.

As for the PC, it ran the demo smooth as butter so I had initially decided to get that version, but I kind of figured the slightly slower pace of the PS3 version would fit me and my newly calibrated equilibrium better. But while I guess I can live with 30fps, tolerating less than that and tearing is going to be a challenge.
I'm sorry, man, I don't know if it was just a bad match selection on your choice (as I have not tried out every map/bot/player combo), but everything has been 99% solid. I was afraid there would be tearing as it does appear during the logo movie for Midway (very briefly), and tearing during a video indicates that it is disabled...but that is NOT the case. I've played about 12 of the maps thus far both with bots and people (though mostly bots thus far) in all different game types. Now that I think about it, I do recall one minor instance of slowdown during a large vehicle CTF match so that certainly means it is possible, but other than that, it has been perfect.

As for the PC version, remember, you're talking the demo here. The demo maps on PS3 never miss a beat even with maximum number of bots in action. Who's to say you won't see a drop here or there on the full PC game (depends on your machine, of course).

Tom Penny

Too many complains about grpahics and framerate on PS3. Guess it's the PC version for me even though I may not be able to use max settings.

Well, check out Sandstorm. I didn't notice any tearing in other maps, but on this one it was definitely noticeable. Whether that's because the style makes it more apparent or if it's just pushing the PS3 too hard, it's there. And the botcount was only 5 on the opposing team, so it's not like I pushed that very far. And while there was only the odd moment of slowdown, when it slowed it crawled.

Tom Penny said:
Too many complains about grpahics and framerate on PS3. Guess it's the PC version for me even though I may not be able to use max settings.

Many complaints? Seems to me as if you might be full of it.

well we should settle this by all playing on sandstorm together in a few hours :)

i really want to play with you and dark. any kind of match... all on the same team, not on the same team, free for all, whatever.

dark10x

plagiarize said:
well we should settle this by all playing on sandstorm together in a few hours :)

i really want to play with you and dark. any kind of match... all on the same team, not on the same team, free for all, whatever.
Sorry man, I've got plans this evening. We'll get something going soon enough, though.

I just went over to Blockbuster to try to rent this but they didn't have it. Infact they don't have shit for PS3 games anymore. They didn't even have Uncharted. WTF. The PS3 shelf space just shrunk 50% within a week.

damnit :p

you and andrews are two people i feel like i've talking about games with for years... yet i've never played games with either of you.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I just went over to Blockbuster to try to rent this but they didn't have it. Infact they don't have shit for PS3 games anymore. They didn't even have Uncharted. WTF.

That's true for the Blockbuster around the corner here too. Although in the case of that store I seriously think the mindset of the clerk might have something to do with it.

Firewire

Banned
plagiarize said:

I need more tips on the goo gun, I was using last night but I don't think I got any kills of of it. I think I'm doing something wrong!

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I just went over to Blockbuster to try to rent this but they didn't have it. Infact they don't have shit for PS3 games anymore. They didn't even have Uncharted. WTF. The PS3 shelf space just shrunk 50% within a week.

Yeah same thing with my Blockbuster, I asked a guy behind the counter about the lack of games for the PS3, and he said it because they are constantly selling the rental versions, because people can often get them cheaper than EB or other stores. He also said they only get games stocked up once a month.

plagiarize said:

you and andrews are two people i feel like i've talking about games with for years... yet i've never played games with either of you.

I have to somehow coordinate things around the kid, which is kind of tricky. So I usually play late at night, and right now that's a problem for other reasons. :(

The kid occasionally spends some days over at her grandparents, that's usually when I get my online MP gaming in.

dark10x

plagiarize said:

Don't worry, I'll have plenty of time next week. I'm off work (after today) until January 2nd. :D

dark10x said:
Don't worry, I'll have plenty of time next week. I'm off work (after today) until January 2nd. :D
i go to England for a week next Thursday, but i'll be on this every day between now and then for at least an hour a day.

Firewire... the goo gun requires patience. and lots of it. basically, you want to use the alt fire primarily. whenever you've got it you should have a full shot of good charged up ready to unleash as soon as you spot a target.

until you get good at nailing people from a distance you'll want to be nearer to them when you unleash it. once it hits them, try to put some distance between the two of you.

remember, like the flak grenade, the nearer to 40 degrees from horizontal you aim, the further it goes.

try to aim where you think the player is going to be and if you miss, try to swing around so that your opponent is between you and the pile of goo. a lot of people back away blindly while firing.

it takes a LOT of practice to get good enough with the goo gun that you'll be scoring kills as quickly with it as you would other weapons... but it's got a very high skill ceiling on it too... and it's the ultimate leveler against a more healthed/shielded up opponent.

plagiarize said:
you can still dodge jump on a pad. i guess they took it away from us mouse and keyboard users to give the pad users at least one advantage.

Not dodge. I thought you would know about dodge jumping.

In UT2k4, you would dodge, then jump during the dodge.

Forward-forward-jump. It propelled you forward. This goes for all directions. It seriously let me go faster then the people I used to play with (until they learned it, I was DOMINATING ctf/br games).

It also provided great escape ability, something that I find myself missing dearly in UT3.

"I just went over to Blockbuster to try to rent this but they didn't have it. Infact they don't have shit for PS3 games anymore. They didn't even have Uncharted. WTF. The PS3 shelf space just shrunk 50% within a week."

So much for renting. :/

TheMissingLink said:
Not dodge. I thought you would know about dodge jumping.

In UT2k4, you would dodge, then jump during the dodge.

Forward-forward-jump. It propelled you forward. This goes for all directions. It seriously let me go faster then the people I used to play with (until they learned it, I was DOMINATING ctf/br games).

It also provided great escape ability, something that I find myself missing dearly in UT3.
ah yes. couldn't you also jump, wall dodge, jump? that got you even further/faster if i remember. i haven't played much on the pad. i didn't realise you couldn't still jump after a dodge. like i said, seems like you can't dodge using keyboard mouse... but i might be missing something.

that map from the UT2k3 demo... the open one... i remember spending hours working out crazy lift jump/shield jump/wall dodge/double jump combinations. it was pretty amazing the places you could get to doing all that stuff.

haven't really been trying that much yet on UT3, but that first map from the single player, i do love doing a lift jump to the goo gun and goo ammo spawn. haven't seen many people lift jumping at all.

though, people started getting crazy with the translocators in the game gattsu and i had the other night. dunno if it's what actually started happening, but it felt like once i started stacking air translocations (fire the translocator up, translocate, fire it up while in the air, translocate again) that everyone started doing it. was really fun.

Firewire

Banned
plagiarize said:
i go to England for a week next Thursday, but i'll be on this every day between now and then for at least an hour a day.

Firewire... the goo gun requires patience. and lots of it. basically, you want to use the alt fire primarily. whenever you've got it you should have a full shot of good charged up ready to unleash as soon as you spot a target.

until you get good at nailing people from a distance you'll want to be nearer to them when you unleash it. once it hits them, try to put some distance between the two of you.

remember, like the flak grenade, the nearer to 40 degrees from horizontal you aim, the further it goes.

try to aim where you think the player is going to be and if you miss, try to swing around so that your opponent is between you and the pile of goo. a lot of people back away blindly while firing.

it takes a LOT of practice to get good enough with the goo gun that you'll be scoring kills as quickly with it as you would other weapons... but it's got a very high skill ceiling on it too... and it's the ultimate leveler against a more healthed/shielded up opponent.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out a bit latter. I wasn't using the alt fire much last night, and had major problems in terms of either over or under firing opponents. Also I thought the goo was supposed to be explosive but it tends to just sit there. It doesn't even seem to do damage when an opponent runs into already fired goo.

I'll give it more practice in a an hour or so.

"Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out a bit latter. I wasn't using the alt fire much last night, and had major problems in terms of either over or under firing opponents. Also I thought the goo was supposed to be explosive but it tends to just sit there. It doesn't even seem to do damage when an opponent runs into already fired goo.

I'll give it more practice in a an hour or so."

It does do damage if they walk into the little drops of goo but definately not as much it as other things, it also hurts you if you walk on it. The best way to use that gun is to always have a big glob charged up using alt fire and shooting that at someone, it pretty much becomes a one hit kill if you connect. Or if you only half hit them you can try and retreat and if they follow you finish them off by forcing them to walk into little goo.

Firewire

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"I just went over to Blockbuster to try to rent this but they didn't have it. Infact they don't have shit for PS3 games anymore. They didn't even have Uncharted. WTF. The PS3 shelf space just shrunk 50% within a week."

So much for renting. :/

Any independent game shops around you? If I ever rent I tend to go to them more, they have a better selection, multiple copies & cheaper rental fee's usually.

plagiarize said:
ah yes. couldn't you also jump, wall dodge, jump? that got you even further/faster if i remember. i haven't played much on the pad. i didn't realise you couldn't still jump after a dodge. like i said, seems like you can't dodge using keyboard mouse... but i might be missing something.

Yeah, jump, walldodge, jump worked too. You go a teeny bit further. Obviously, dodgejumping didn't need walls and if you zig zag, it's like you're going in a straight-line.

I use a keyboard. It feels weird holding "a" then pressing the space bar to dodge left. That's the only way that I've found you truly dodge using kb/m.

"Any independent game shops around you? If I ever rent I tend to go to them more, they have a better selection, multiple copies & cheaper rental fee's usually."

There's a blockbuster and a hollywood video that has games but that's about it around me. I guess I could try hollywood video but they were worse than blockbuster last time :/

Firewire

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out a bit latter. I wasn't using the alt fire much last night, and had major problems in terms of either over or under firing opponents. Also I thought the goo was supposed to be explosive but it tends to just sit there. It doesn't even seem to do damage when an opponent runs into already fired goo.

I'll give it more practice in a an hour or so."

It does do damage if they walk into the little drops of goo but definately not as much it as other things, it also hurts you if you walk on it. The best way to use that gun is to always have a big glob charged up using alt fire and shooting that at someone, it pretty much becomes a one hit kill if you connect. Or if you only half hit them you can try and retreat and if they follow you finish them off by forcing them to walk into little goo.

So does that mean you can hold the alt fire button without it actually firing until you release the trigger. Also how do you know its charged up, does it make a sound or something. I know I couldn't have been charging up the alt last night because it really wasn't any different than the normal fire.

"So does that mean you can hold the alt fire button without it actually firing until you release the trigger. "

Yes. The Bio rifle secondary has an animation and while it's charging up. Once the little uh...flaps on the front are cocked sideways and pulled back a bit, it's fully charged. Or whenever it eats up 10 ammo if you don't want to keep an eye on that.

"So does that mean you can hold the alt fire button without it actually firing until you release the trigger. Also how do you know its charged up, does it make a sound or something. I know I couldn't have been charging up the alt last night because it really wasn't any different than the normal fire."

In the case of the bio rifle it is since you charge up and then release to shoot, similar thing with rocket laucher alt fire allows you to load 3 rockets and then fire except you only hold that until the 3 rockets are loaded then it will fire shortly after whether your holding alt fire or not.

Teknopathetic said:
"So does that mean you can hold the alt fire button without it actually firing until you release the trigger. "

Yes. The Bio rifle secondary has an animation and while it's charging up. Once the little uh...flaps on the front are cocked sideways and pulled back a bit, it's fully charged. Or whenever it eats up 10 ammo if you don't want to keep an eye on that.
or you could just listen to it. :)

dralla

I think they need to change the options on the dedicated servers. 16 players for TDM is too many people, the maps are too small for that many people. 5v5 is ideal for TDM. And it seems like the only map for Warfare Midway uses is Avalanche. Put up some others :[

"I think they need to change the options on the dedicated servers. 16 players for TDM is too many people, the maps are too small for that many people. 5v5 is ideal for TDM. And it seems like the only map for Warfare Midway uses is Avalanche. Put up some others :["

Most people like too many players in TDM so they can spam weapons and still get kills.

methane47

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's true for the Blockbuster around the corner here too. Although in the case of that store I seriously think the mindset of the clerk might have something to do with it.

LOL I was at a blockbuster as well just last week.. and as I pulled up to the counter with Assassin's Creed In my hand I noticed the Clerk was wearing a Block Buster Name tag with a "Xbox360" pinned on to it.. It was pretty ridiculous..

Teknopathetic said:
"I think they need to change the options on the dedicated servers. 16 players for TDM is too many people, the maps are too small for that many people. 5v5 is ideal for TDM. And it seems like the only map for Warfare Midway uses is Avalanche. Put up some others :["

Most people like too many players in TDM so they can spam weapons and still get kills.
some maps hold 16 players VERY nicely. but many do not. i like the game hectic, but when it gets really over crowded and you get stuck dying over and over with a pistol before you can even move, it's pretty annoying.

dralla

the key word being "some", there's very few that handle that many. Why not make rooms based on size, "TDM-Small TDM-Mid TDM-Large". let each one run certain maps depending on the player limit

finally got my first rampage, most of it coming from the Viper. omfuckingg, using the eject feature to send an exploding Viper into a Dark Walker and getting the Bullseye is so so satisfying

dralla said:
the key word being "some", there's very few that handle that many. Why not make rooms based on size, "TDM-Small TDM-Mid TDM-Large". let each one run certain maps depending on the player limit

finally got my first rampage, most of it coming from the Viper. omfuckingg, using the eject feature to send an exploding Viper into a Dark Walker and getting the Bullseye is so so satisfying
i don't know how i got my two rampages. i don't remember getting them.

dralla

damn rampage didn't count, I guess it wasnt a "pure" server :[ ah well.

just captured a vCTF game. some really good stuff too, some very near caps and some nice kills. ugh. I choked though. we should've won, I missed a kill on the guy with our flag :[

gonna try and shrink it in size and upload it so people get to see how the game plays

dralla said:
damn rampage didn't count, I guess it wasnt a "pure" server :[ ah well.

just captured a vCTF game. some really good stuff too, some very near caps and some nice kills. ugh. I choked though. we should've won, I missed a kill on the guy with our flag :[

gonna try and shrink it in size and upload it so people get to see how the game plays
i'll check it out. i do wish that there was in game recording on the ps3 version. hoping for a mod that does that :)

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"No demo, theres only an old trailer on PSN for UT3."

I'll hold off then until I find it used or I can bum it off of someone.

but havent you heard? PS3 games with demos (Uncharted/R&C) sell less than PS3 games that had NO demos (COD4/AssCreed). Its a good sign for UT3 sales (barring the lack of advertising that is)

dralla

gonna take a long time to compress. 2 hours or so. original file is over 700MB.

jump bootons + rocket launcher = :]
82l0hmd.gif

"but havent you heard? PS3 games with demos (Uncharted/R&C) sell less than PS3 games that had NO demos (COD4/AssCreed). Its a good sign for UT3 sales (barring the lack of advertising that is)"

Ya, but I'm not gonna spend $60 if I think the controls are crap.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"but havent you heard? PS3 games with demos (Uncharted/R&C) sell less than PS3 games that had NO demos (COD4/AssCreed). Its a good sign for UT3 sales (barring the lack of advertising that is)"

Ya, but I'm not gonna spend $60 if I think the controls are crap.
just plug in keyboard/mouse on the ps3 if you want. thats the beauty of options

"just plug in keyboard/mouse on the ps3 if you want. thats the beauty of options"

I know I was probably gonna use m/kb but I want to see how it feels after only every playing the pc version. I don't think it will but I want to see how big of a difference and game speed and mouse speed etc. is on ps3 compared to pc before I plop down another $60.

SilvaHalo

Banned
TaKeRx said:
Are there alot of people playing on the PS3 version? I might buy it today.

and they are playing warfare finally WOOHOO!!

I was worried the first couple days when I could barely find any warfare maps being played as everyone was doing shock rifle instagib

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Semi off-topic, anyone know why my friend invites always time out when I try to send them from the XMB? And also, if I add someone to my UT3 Friends list they don't appear on my XMB friends list yet it works vice-versa...why is that?

dralla said:
gonna take a long time to compress. 2 hours or so. original file is over 700MB.

jump bootons + rocket launcher = :]
82l0hmd.gif

Christ, I've been playing this game since Tuesday and haven't seen anything like that yet. I barely play the vCTF stuff.

How many maps are in this game?

Top Bottom