• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

dralla

The freezing has nothing to do with the UGC, it's just a buggy game. It seems like the freezing depends on the server. Like right now I just tried to join a vCTF match on a Necropois server with 14 people in it, but it freezes each time I try and join. I guess you just gotta rememer which servers make your system freeze and try not to join them. Hopefully they add a "Favorites" section in the server browser.

gbovo

Just finished the single player "campaign" and it was a total let down. When reviewers were saying single player was just multiplayer with bots, they weren't kidding. The ENTIRE single player campaign is just a mirror of multiplayer with some very lame, but pretty, cutscenes at the beginning of each chapter. After watching said cutscenes, you then proceed to play a series of Team Deathmatch, CTF and Warfare matches over, and over, and over again for the entire duration of the single player campaign. The story is worse than a B-level movie's script. I know UT is basically a multiplayer series but the way Epic was hyping up the single player, I actually had hopes for a half way decent/engaging offline experience that somewhat differentiated itself from multiplayer, hence my overall disappointment with the single player portion of the game. Multiplayer is great for what it is, but I wish it had some more depth and progression like COD4/Resistance/Halo 3/Warhawk etc. Epic should just put the UT series to rest for a while and focus on the Gears of War franchise and improving Unreal Engine 3 tech cause UT, in it's latest form, doesn't seem to have the same level of appeal, to me, as other high profile shooters on the market or as it once had 7 years ago.

gbovo said:
Just finished the single player "campaign" and it was a total let down. When reviewers were saying single player was just multiplayer with bots, they weren't kidding. The ENTIRE single player campaign is just a mirror of multiplayer with some very lame, but pretty, cutscenes at the beginning of each chapter. After watching said cutscenes, you then proceed to play a series of Team Deathmatch, CTF and Warfare matches over, and over, and over again for the entire duration of the single player campaign. The story is worse than a B-level movie's script. I know UT is basically a multiplayer series but the way Epic was hyping up the single player, I actually had hopes for a half way decent/engaging offline experience that somewhat differentiated itself from multiplayer, hence my overall disappointment with the single player portion of the game. Multiplayer is great for what it is, but I wish it had some more depth and progression like COD4/Resistance/Halo 3/Warhawk etc. Epic should just put the UT series to rest for a while and focus on the Gears of War franchise and improving Unreal Engine 3 tech cause UT, in it's latest form, doesn't seem to have the same level of appeal, to me, as other high profile shooters on the market or as it once had 7 years ago.
yeah, pretty much par for the course on all UT titles. I felt like Epic was pretty honest about the single player story. All I heard was a few cutscenes string a revenge story together. IMO however it actually great this time because none of the other UT's had co-op in the single player campaign, so at least there is that.
I totally disagree about laying the series off. They tried to make a total AAA shooter in Gears and IMO they fell short. No one I know liked the single player story much and the multiplayer seemed to suffer greatly (at least at launch) because they had put so much time into the single player side. This is the way I like to see it. So few games have a great single AND multiplayer experience, I don't mind them making games that focus on one or the other. Gears should be single player oriented and UT should be epic's signature multiplayer series.

Oh yeah, I went into work early and I got off 5 hours early (lol at 3am instead on 8). So I'm gunning up my server in a few minutes, anyone who want should come fight.

Wollan

I have been blessed!

I received Unreal Tournament 3 in my mail just now, on Christmas no less!
Ordered it from videogamesplus.ca and got it shipped here to Norway.

Unsurpassed./Sans ecal.
Unprecedented./Sans précédent.
Unrivaled./Sans pareil.

BeeDog

That's actually very impressive (you were from Norway right?)! I always thought Nordic countries' postal services never properly worked near the holidays. At least that's how it is here in Sweden. :D

Wollan

I didn't even know they shipped mail on Xmas to be honest. Just drove in from picking up some milk and I saw the mail man stuffing the box. Something supernatural is going on..

Also, reading the manual atm, it seems like you can download user created levels from just joining a server (I'm guessing the restrictment is just full on mods?).

iceatcs

Wollan said:
I have been blessed!

I received Unreal Tournament 3 in my mail just now, on Christmas no less!
Ordered it from videogamesplus.ca and got it shipped here to Norway.

Me too, same store and came today! with the dualshock 3 as well.
They do posting on the xmas eve in UK but not xmas and boxing day.

iceatcs

BobTheFork said:
Any ps3 people playing right now? I have my server going, called bob's funhouse.

Ok I will try it out tonight (UK time) At moment the kids are watching blu :(

Any require? like K/M only or ping limit?

iceatcs said:
Ok I will try it out tonight (UK time) At moment the kids are watching blu :(

Any require? like K/M only or ping limit?
I have it set to NO kb/m just because most of the Gaffer I know play this way and I want anyone to join.
No ping limit
I run a 6 map rotation
forced respawns

kitch9

Banned
Does the PS3 have worldwide servers? There is hardly any servers when I do a search and I can't find any Midway ones?

Does me being in the UK have anything to do with it?

iceatcs

I can join bob's server from uk. There are some more too about 12. But it is my first time played few mins ago on bob's funhouse, I dunno about the others.

Wollan

Just tried the game.

One deathmatch against bots and one match of Warfare against bots.

Oh my, in terms of visual punch and sound effects this is a huge upgrade beyond the past games. The weapons in 2K3 & 4 was never all that satisfactory but that's definitly not the case here. Also, the game almost abuses the rumble engine (in a good way).

Just going through the menus with the remixed main theme, whoosh sound effects and overall presentation, UT PS3 is all over my face. Looking online there are around ten or so servers active surrounding Norway but I'm guessing there's a way to find the servers US gaf players are using.

The art direction is very alien and very Gears like we all know. The engine is rock solid it seems with great effects and all that jazz. It's just pretty cool to have this game on console and still have the mod support, m/k, full HDD install option..etc.

A very direct game and it's like sleeping with a women after having been jailed for years.

Wollan said:
A very direct game and it's like sleeping with a women after having been jailed for years.
LOL Are you going to try some online games? I stopped my server for a bit while I get some food and take a break. I'll be on again soon and alot today, nothing else to do until tomorrow.

kitch9

Banned
iceatcs said:
I can join bob's server from uk. There are some more too about 12. But it is my first time played few mins ago on bob's funhouse, I dunno about the others.

Can any none US owners find any US servers?

Wollan

Jumped out after two rounds. The default aiming is way too slow. Tried to get back in but I guess it was full since it didn't show. Christmas dinner pretty soon though so we shall continue this another day. :D

Wollan said:
Jumped out after two rounds. The default aiming is way too slow. Tried to get back in but I guess it was full since it didn't show. Christmas dinner pretty soon though so we shall continue this another day. :D
:) darn right. Yeah I had to mess with the setting for awhile before i was happy.

BobTheFork said:
I have it set to NO kb/m just because most of the Gaffer I know play this way and I want anyone to join.
No ping limit
I run a 6 map rotation
forced respawns

Do you have any of the new maps running?

Smidget

If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I just got UT3 for my PS3 today. I install it on there, go to run it and get past all the logos and get to the "Press Start" screen and the music DOESN'T PAUSE but the background anim does and my entire PS3 stays on that screen. Nothing I do get can it to respond until I turn the switch off and on in the back.

Any ideas? R&C, Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm all work fine and have been. I deleted the installation it did and it reinstalled but same problem.

I just want to play me some UT3 :(

Edited to change: Music doesn't pause....

Firewire

Banned
Smidget said:

I just got UT3 for my PS3 today. I install it on there, go to run it and get past all the logos and get to the "Press Start" screen and the music pauses as does the background and my entire PS3 stays on that screen. Nothing I do get can it to respond until I turn the switch off and on in the back.

Any ideas? R&C, Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm all work fine and have been. I deleted the installation it did and it reinstalled but same problem.

Every once in a blue moon it freezes in start up. Turn off you're PS3 wait like 15 seconds restart & make sure you are logged into PSN. Then try UT3 again! If it keeps happening I'm not sure what you can do.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Smidget said:

I just got UT3 for my PS3 today. I install it on there, go to run it and get past all the logos and get to the "Press Start" screen and the music DOESN'T PAUSE but the background anim does and my entire PS3 stays on that screen. Nothing I do get can it to respond until I turn the switch off and on in the back.

Edited to change: Music doesn't pause....

Make sure your controller is set to "1" or it may get ignored.

Smidget

OK I give up. Tried deleting files over and over and doing it in different ways. Guess I'll have to exchange it Wednesday. If anyone else experienced these problems please let me know though! :)

AKS

Zaptruder said:
The game is pretty rockin.

Playin with the DS3 for movement, and mouse for aiming and firing. Works a treat.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG, you can do that?!? I haven't played using a keyboard that often in recent years, but I love the accuracy of the mouse. This sounds perfect for me. Thanks!

EekTheKat

Hunter D said:
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for this. Is the framerate good like GeOW or does it have hiccups like other UE3 games?

If you throw 15 bots on a warfare map and they're all going at it in the middle of the battlefield with vehicles and explosions everywhere, the framerate does seem to take a dive.

Haven't witnessed any major cases of framerate drops in multiplayer yet though. But then again I've been going back and forth through my backlog this holiday season.

AKS

Hunter D said:
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for this. Is the framerate good like GeOW or does it have hiccups like other UE3 games?

Gears of War? The frame rate is considerably better in Unreal Tournament III. I own both games, and Gears' frame rate stumbles frequently, whereas Unreal Tournament III's is generally very stable unless you have a little bit of slowdown with the max # of bots or are on a laggy server (connection related rather than software related).

Nizz

Halvie said:
What sensitivity and turn speed settings are you guys playing with?
I have my sensitivity set to 18 and the turn acceleration to 6. So far it's been the best setting for me. The default sensitivity I found way too slow for me. I also really need to get a headset for when I play online. Only game types I've played online are deathmatch and team deathmatch. I've tried VCTF and Warfare so far with bots only. Just trying to get a feel for the play...

dralla

if you're looking for dedicated servers to play on PS3, these guys have one up all the time.
http://ebstone.com/

"As with all UT3 series games, it comes with the ability to host a dedicated server. We often host FULL 16 PLAYER Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag matches (and other gametypes if requested). You will usually be able to find the server up and running under the Playstation network ID of ebstone weekdays 6pm to 9pm (or there about) then 12 or 1am till about 7am — all times eastern standard in the United States. Additionally, the server is up Friday night through Sunday continuously."

Just thought I'd pop in with my feedback.

The default Turn Acceleration and Controller Sensitivity are fucking garbage. After a lot of testing, I've finally settled on 7 for both Turn Acceleration and Controller Sensitivity.

Hopefully that will help some of you guys who are not liking the defaults and want a good balance of being able to actually aim with precision and turn FAST enough to fight other opponents.

I'm having trouble with voice chat though, does anyone know whether or not the setting for Mute Voice should be Enabled or Disabled? I know the voice chat is shit and buggy to begin with, but any advice will help.

Smidget

Kick ass, installed DD-WRT custom firmware on my router and all my problems are solved! Played a couple of games, love the speed on PS3 :)

AKS

Cold-Steel said:
Just thought I'd pop in with my feedback.

The default Turn Acceleration and Controller Sensitivity are fucking garbage. After a lot of testing, I've finally settled on 7 for both Turn Acceleration and Controller Sensitivity.

Hopefully that will help some of you guys who are not liking the defaults and want a good balance of being able to actually aim with precision and turn FAST enough to fight other opponents.

I'm having trouble with voice chat though, does anyone know whether or not the setting for Mute Voice should be Enabled or Disabled? I know the voice chat is shit and buggy to begin with, but any advice will help.

Optimal settings depend on your playing style. I prefer low sensitivity for longer distance attacks.

Hey all, I just got the game yesterday for ps3. If anyone wants someone to play add me on PSN.

Edag_Plata is who you're looking for. Doesn't matter who you are, should be fun! :D

I just played some Resistance after a long while on my PS3 and pretty much all I can say is, I hope every dev copies whatever UT3 did with dual analog to make it so amazing.

Resistance is awesome online, but the right analog stick feels weird compared to playing UT3, whatever epic did it is amazing.

Top Bottom