• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

GAZERK said:
Just played the demo for the PC and despite having Doom 3D graphics, the game was fun to play. I wasn't expecting that, because usually I hate twitch games (I blow at CS). Anyways, I think I'll pick this up for the PS3 tomorrow, anyone know if a keyboard will make the game play better, or since the gameplay on the ps3 is slower in general, does it not really matter?

You'll want to use a mouse if you want to truly be competitive(And personally I find it more fun this way too). A keyboard is kinda of up in the air. You can use a keyboard/mouse combo but you can also swap out the keyboard and use a controller/mouse combo too. Both work well, just depends on your personal preference, gaming setup or whathaveyou.

AKS

calder said:
I got it for christmas yesterday, played around with it a bit. At first my response was pretty negative - I never liked the look of UT and that followed through my somewhat meh response to Gears. And the gameplay felt so damn old. But while I think the visuals aren't that impressive except from a technical standpoint it does run well and it has a definite style. And for whatever reason the online DM is starting to click with me, probably due a lot to the fact that the game is surprisingly playable with a controller online. I'm in plenty of matches with KB/M folks and you can see how it'd be preferable I don't feel to be at that much of a disadvantage. Even now, there's something to be said for pure brainless DM where you just dierespawnkillkilldierespawn.

Even the goofy story with it's bot-matches masquerading as a campaign is kinda fun. Not sure what kind of legs this will have, but at least I don't regret opening it up instead of trading it in like I was for the first 30 minutes.

One thing holding me back is my lack of familiarity with UT. Going back to number 1 I never played it enough to figure out some of the weapons, and I *still* don't know what the fuck to do with the shock rifle. The alt fire shoots a ball of inkyness and then I shoot that with the beam? But it doesn't do shit!

The shock rifle in the right hands is absolutely devastating. I've killed people around corners with shock combos. The primary fire is an instant hit like the sniper rifle and can be vicious at midrange. I'm not a shock rifle expert, either. It's a really useful weapon at midrange, and shock combos are very powerful if you get the timing down.

Are you playing close quarter death matches? Try using it at midrange on an objective based map. You'll see how good it can be if you get the timing down. All the weapons are pretty awesome.

Have you tried the Bots with the difficulty cranked? Sneaky little bastards! They'll play dead, repair stuff, ambush you, and worst of all, ruin my sniping streaks by using the translocator to warp all over the place and screw up my aim. The AI is often pretty clever depending on the difficulty.

So... potential disaster already.

I bought the game last night and everything was working just fine. I get up a bit ago and decide I want to play some UT3. Mouse and Keyboard are working fine in the menus, so I go into the game. The game is no longer recognizing my mouse, even though it works fine in all the PS3 menus.

Am I fucked? Why is it doing this?

I don't consider this game playable without a mouse, no matter how well they implemented the sixaxis controls.

MoxManiac

My Arms Your Hearse said:

I bought the game last night and everything was working just fine. I get up a bit ago and decide I want to play some UT3. Mouse and Keyboard are working fine in the menus, so I go into the game. The game is no longer recognizing my mouse, even though it works fine in all the PS3 menus.

I don't consider this game playable without a mouse, no matter how well they implemented the sixaxis controls.

Are you absolutely sure you aren't joining gamepad-only servers? I've done it a couple times by accident.

Yes, because I never even GOT that far. My mouse won't move any of the menus and I tried to do CAMPAIGN and it also wouldn't work there.

Sigh...

Maybe they'll take it back. It's useless to me this way. Gonna try to figure something out though.

RoH

Space A Cobra said:
You'll want to use a mouse if you want to truly be competitive(And personally I find it more fun this way too). A keyboard is kinda of up in the air. You can use a keyboard/mouse combo but you can also swap out the keyboard and use a controller/mouse combo too. Both work well, just depends on your personal preference, gaming setup or whathaveyou.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one, I believe that I'm a decent player and I have seen some awesome high ranking controller players!

Defecated server is up.

PSN: REDEMPTOR
SERVER: BLK-NSERV:MICROPHONE
Friend requests are always welcome.

tanod

when is my burrito

Calm down. You're ok. For whatever reason, the mouse doesn't work on the UT3 menus but does in-game.

Except it did last night (in the menus) and I TRIED using it in-game. It doesn't work, period.

To be more specific, I could scroll menu option and such with the mouse wheel, though I could not click on anything in the menus. I can't even do that now. And I just checked again... it's definitely not working in game.

Mrbob

Space A Cobra said:

Nice.

Perhaps the FragFX I bought will come to use if I can use a controller/mouse combo.

Epic really needs to bring Assault mode back.

Forsete

Major lag sometimes.. I've had this problem with all Unreal-games. UT99, UT2003, UT2004. Epic is horrible with netcode.

Resistance, Warhawk all run great even on US-servers.

Forsete

Impressed by how the game runs on PS3. Very, very smooth. Looks great too even compared to the PC version. I thought PS3 + UE3.0 was a big no-no, but it seems Sonys SWAT-team did the job. :D

Firewire

Banned
Forsete said:
Major lag sometimes.. I've had this problem with all Unreal-games. UT99, UT2003, UT2004. Epic is horrible with netcode.

Resistance, Warhawk all run great even on US-servers.

Umm you're in Europe right? Midway wouldn't have servers up yet for Europe because the game isn't released there yet. Lag therefore should be expected as you are hitting N.A. servers.

Are you on the PC version maybe?

Forsete

Firewire said:
Umm you're in Europe right? Midway wouldn't have servers up yet for Europe because the game isn't released there yet. Lag therefore should be expected as you are hitting N.A. servers.

Are you on the PC version maybe?

PS3 version.

Shouldnt really be a problem though, the hosting is up to the players right?
The pings are around 90-100 so fully acceptable IMO.

Firewire

Banned
Forsete said:
PS3 version.

Shouldnt really be a problem though, the hosting is up to the players right?
The pings are around 90-100 so fully acceptable IMO.

You got lag with those low pings?

So NOBODY else's mouse has just randomly stopped working?

I'm so fucked.

Umm theres something about this earlier in the thread, I believe.

Forsete

Firewire said:
You got lag with those low pings?

Yep. :(

All UT-games I have played have had some pretty serious lag-issues. On the 90-ping server there was some warping, and sometimes a delay when firing a weapon.

theBishop

Banned
ActionCam mutator...

72sf13p.jpg

8ekpvso.jpg

PS3 owners may be one step closer to filling the Gear-shaped hole in their heart. :lol

FabCam

I haven't had much lag and I'm playing the US version in the UK. There's a little here and there, but not enough to damage the game play.

Holy crap guys, I just played with a mutator where you had one gun, it was like the shock rifle but red with no alt-fire, and one shot kills. And low gravity. So everyone was flying around, one-shot killing each other, it was awesome. What's it called?

doogles said:
Holy crap guys, I just played with a mutator where you had one gun, it was like the shock rifle but red with no alt-fire, and one shot kills. And low gravity. So everyone was flying around, one-shot killing each other, it was awesome. What's it called?

InstaGib. I think that one comes with the game. It did in UT1.

How do you unlock the Scythe model? I looked on gamefaqs and it says you kill him in the deathmatch sidemission in chapter 4, which I've now done twice, and still haven't unlocked him, what am I missing?

Well, nm, there's a SECOND optional deathmatch with Scythe right after. Got him.

SOLDIER

Just picked up the game today. Only played a few minutes, but impressions are good.

Just one question though, is the quality of the voice work obviously compressed to anyone else? It sounds like HL1 voice compression, which is kind of annoying. Is there a way to uncompress it perhaps? I don't see why they had to do this considering blu ray sizes and all.

Joe211 said:
Do you know if there's a lot of players on the sever?
16 players. Don't do Quick Match. Go to Join Game, find a server with ping under 200 and a good number of people* and you won't have any trouble. Runs beautifully and I never have trouble finding a match. Occasionally I get disconnected but it's not a huge deal.

*If the match only has like two out of 16 people, 78 ping means nothing. It could very well go up.

Crayon

There's a million lurkers reading this. This is an open letter to the one (or more) that has UT3 on PS3 but is making excuses not to go online.

Dear Puss,

This is not XBL. This shit is open. Nobody cares about your record, nobody will even remember your name. You won't be taunted voip and you won't get sad faces or diapers or whatever they stick on gamercards when you lose. Just jump into the meatgrinder and LOSE. PLEASE. This shit is open, and community has to emerge from it. I'm want to do my part by BEGGING YOU to get in the mix because UT3 needs FRESH MEAT and that's just what everbody starts out doing. Nameless, faceless, meat.

So please. With sugar and good shit sprinkled all over. Get online and support this huge opportunity to break consoles out of the microtransaction future. GET IN HERE AND DIE.

psn: Crayon1981

Crayon said:
There's a million lurkers reading this. This is an open letter to the one (or more) that has UT3 on PS3 but is making excuses not to go online.

Dear Puss,

This is not XBL. This shit is open. Nobody cares about your record, nobody will even remember your name. You won't be taunted voip and you won't get sad faces or diapers or whatever they stick on gamercards when you lose. Just jump into the meatgrinder and LOSE. PLEASE. This shit is open, and community has to emerge from it. I'm want to do my part by BEGGING YOU to get in the mix because UT3 needs FRESH MEAT and that's just what everbody starts out doing. Nameless, faceless, meat.

So please. With sugar and good shit sprinkled all over. Get online and support this huge opportunity to break consoles out of the microtransaction future. GET IN HERE AND DIE.

I approve of this message.

Question for those of you who have the game + friends; what's the lowest rank you've seen? Just to get an idea of the amount of players who have played online. My lowest rank for one of my friends is 50k and he certainly doesn't have a horrible k/d ratio.

Ploid 3.0

Crayon said:

Dear Puss,

Omg I feel the need to go get the game or I'd get a bio blob on my back. Good delivery, I'll be in in due time.

FabCam

The game is so much fun, one of the best online FPS's I've ever played. However I have one big gripe. NO STAT TRACKING AT ALL!! Why? I'm not talking about a ranking system or earning points, just knowing your stats. Just basic stuff would be fine (no. of kills, no. of deaths, time played). I like to see how I progress through a game.

Anyways, I'm not getting owned too bad. K&M to Sixaxis for Unreal has been an easier change than expected.

EDIT: I see that some people are saying there's a K/D ratio, how do you find this?

Firewire

Banned
TheMissingLink said:
I approve of this message.

Question for those of you who have the game + friends; what's the lowest rank you've seen? Just to get an idea of the amount of players who have played online. My lowest rank for one of my friends is 50k and he certainly doesn't have a horrible k/d ratio.

Lowest guy on my list is in the 70k range, but that was a few days ago.

Firewire

Banned
FabCam said:
The game is so much fun, one of the best online FPS's I've ever played. However I have one big gripe. NO STAT TRACKING AT ALL!! Why? I'm not talking about a ranking system or earning points, just knowing your stats. Just basic stuff would be fine (no. of kills, no. of deaths, time played). I like to see how I progress through a game.

Anyways, I'm not getting owned too bad. K&M to Sixaxis for Unreal has been an easier change than expected.

You can see that, just go to the leader boards, find your name and cycle R1 & L1, it'll tell you a bunch of stuff you're looking for. The only thing it doesn't give you is a breakdown on every individual game played.

FabCam

Firewire said:
You can see that, just go to the leader boards, find your name and cycle R1 & L1, it'll tell you a bunch of stuff you're looking for. The only thing it doesn't give you is a breakdown on every individual game played.

Holy shit, thanks. I had a quick look earlier but saw there was no "My Account" type section so assumed there wasn't one.

Best online shooter ever :lol

Crayon said:

Dear Puss,

Adding you when I get home.

*golf clap*

I'm starting to feel really cheap using the Biorifle. The auto aim on the alt fire is sickeningly atrocious. Homing blob of death!

...and wow. I didn't know how to look at stats either. I was playing in a game, outnumbered, vs. the top 2 rated players and equaling or surpassing them each round (until I got disconnected).

I also had the misfortune of joining a game with the third rated player (xMONCOx) and being on the opposing team. Now that was rape... Completely dominating player.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm starting to feel really cheap using the Biorifle. The auto aim on the alt fire is sickeningly atrocious. Homing blob of death!

Throw the alt-fire down where people land from jump pads, much more fun :lol

dralla

I don't understand the rankings. I went from 7 to 400+ in one day. wtf :[

and what did Midway do to the servers? There's barely any Warfare servers left. Yesterday there was none, and right now I only see one. The P2P servers either lag or have dumb rules like 15 point limit

"I also had the misfortune of joining a game with the third rated player (xMONCOx) and being on the opposing team. Now that was rape... Completely dominating player."

Uh, the rankings have changed since, but I saw a video of the (then) #2 and #3 PS3 players dueling and they didn't look like they could dominate a sack of beans, let alone another player.

Crayon

Has anyone seen this? ---> ut3mod.com

They claim to be getting you mods over the PS3 browser. Seems you may still need a pre-existing filepath on the memory card but this is getting better in terms of ease of use.

I'm going to try it now.

Teknopathetic said:
"I also had the misfortune of joining a game with the third rated player (xMONCOx) and being on the opposing team. Now that was rape... Completely dominating player."

Uh, the rankings have changed since, but I saw a video of the (then) #2 and #3 PS3 players dueling and they didn't look like they could dominate a sack of beans, let alone another player.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. She (Character model, probably a guy though) had racked up an Unstoppable before my team even had 5 kills. K/D at 10k/2k. I'd say she's pretty dominating.

Though I'm sure even the /worst/ PC UT3 player could rape her seven ways from Sunday.

However, you'd be right on the guys ranked 1 and 2. I played against them both simultaneously and more than held my own. And I wouldn't consider myself particularly good at the game. I also don't know how the rankings work considering Monco has ridiculously better stats in every conceivable field than either of the two above her.

Top Bottom