• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Hey guys, I Gamefly'd this one for PS3 and it comes with no manual. I checked GameFAQs but there's no FAQ.

Are the PC Keyboard controls the same on the PS3?

Is there any voice chat at all? :X

I got UT3 for xmas on the PC. Looks awesome, but I'm finding it to be a pile of crap. Is there anyway to filter beyond server settings, like mutators? Can't believe it wasn't right there in the server list menu. Probably wouldn't do me any good. I searched for all open servers, and found only 10 servers with players in them. Due to the fact that it's Christmas or didn't sell beyond 33k units? And the campaign...I thought Epic promised a full fledged campaign. Or was that console exclusive? I'm only on the 2nd level, but both missions have been TDM. I am seriously about to chuck this one out the window. I'll keep playing it over this week, hoping more people show, but I'm not too impressed with this showing.

Phaethon0017 said:
I got UT3 for xmas on the PC. Looks awesome, but I'm finding it to be a pile of crap. Is there anyway to filter beyond server settings, like mutators? Can't believe it wasn't right there in the server list menu. Probably wouldn't do me any good. I searched for all open servers, and found only 10 servers with players in them. Due to the fact that it's Christmas or didn't sell beyond 33k units? And the campaign...I thought Epic promised a full fledged campaign. Or was that console exclusive? I'm only on the 2nd level, but both missions have been TDM. I am seriously about to chuck this one out the window. I'll keep playing it over this week, hoping more people show, but I'm not too impressed with this showing.

Did you get the patch? It helps the interface quite substantially. I don't think you can filter by mutator, but I'm pretty sure they're NOT done adding features. They're trying to squash some pretty severe bugs right now, so after that gets taken care of hopefully we'll see some improvements.

As for the campaign...yeah it's shit...but did you REALLY expect it to be worth playing as anything other than an intro to the maps? I mean...it's UT.

The gameplay is totally solid though. Classic UT with some needed tweaks. It's pretty much the top dog in terms of fast paced shooters so while I share your frustration over certain aspects, I'm confident this game can become what it should be after a few patches.

No I haven't patched it. I'll look into that now. Luckily some more peeps showed up, and I got a couple of good matches of Vehicle CTF and Warfare. Upsetting that you can't easily narrow down searches by mutator, but it probably wouldn't do much good seeing how few servers I'm finding in TDM anyway. I'll check it out after I update.

And no, I'm honestly not surprised by the campaign, but I just believe and hoped for the best :lol. I blame those cutscenes though. Tricking me into thinking they were tied to something epic.

Uncle AJ

The Take Out Bandit said:
Are the PC Keyboard controls the same on the PS3?

Should be - if not, you can assign functions to whichever keys you want in the options menu.

Is there any voice chat at all? :X

Yes - if you look at your friends list in the Community menu, there's a "Voice" column that is either check-marked or X'd out for each player. But I have yet to hear another human soul's voice come through my speakers, so good luck getting any mileage out of voice chat in a game where everyone thinks that they're "too cool" to talk to you.

BPK

Wow the new mods are great! I can't believe this is a console game...I'm so used to getting nickle and dimed for new levels. It's so refreshing to get something for free, even if it is user content. My only beef (and perhaps this can be resolved) is that I wish a little picture of the new map appeared like the rest of the maps that shipped with the game do. Instead of just that picture of man staring at beast.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
i hope epic patches in server downloading into the ps3 version. i would like to join a room without fear of my ps3 locking because i dont have a certain map/mutator/gametype on my HDD

And no, I'm honestly not surprised by the campaign, but I just believe and hoped for the best . I blame those cutscenes though. Tricking me into thinking they were tied to something epic.
Have you gotten to the Field Lattice Generators yet? I think they're pretty epic:lol

BPK said:
Wow the new mods are great! I can't believe this is a console game...I'm so used to getting nickle and dimed for new levels. It's so refreshing to get something for free, even if it is user content. My only beef (and perhaps this can be resolved) is that I wish a little picture of the new map appeared like the rest of the maps that shipped with the game do. Instead of just that picture of man staring at beast.

I think some maps should do this. Some do on the PC, but not all. It may not work at all on PS3 though I dunno.

Tetsuo...its unlikely simply because epic can't bank on people understanding that they don't have the bandwidth to support downloads and a game at the same time. It's unfortunate, but until dedicated servers become the norm it's probably the way it'll be on the PS3.

AKS

WHOAguitarninja said:
Have you gotten to the Field Lattice Generators yet? I think they're pretty epic:lol

I think some maps should do this. Some do on the PC, but not all. It may not work at all on PS3 though I dunno.

Tetsuo...its unlikely simply because epic can't bank on people understanding that they don't have the bandwidth to support downloads and a game at the same time. It's unfortunate, but until dedicated servers become the norm it's probably the way it'll be on the PS3.

Mutators can be acquired if you don't have them, but instant downloads would crash the games. The current method really isn't that bad considering we're getting FREE MAPS. Pretty fair deal if you ask me.

Mo the Hawk said:
Yes - if you look at your friends list in the Community menu, there's a "Voice" column that is either check-marked or X'd out for each player. But I have yet to hear another human soul's voice come through my speakers, so good luck getting any mileage out of voice chat in a game where everyone thinks that they're "too cool" to talk to you.

Who really cares about talking to people?

I just want to use my R. Lee Ermey impersonation to motivate the ankle grabbers I usually end up playing with. :lol

I may end up buying this game just to give my dollar vote to the developer who provides proper controls in FPS games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
well i meant only from dedicated servers. it would actually be cool if epic/midway put up a mod dedicated server that just rotated through maps/mutators/gametypes every 10 or 15 minutes just to upload. people could turn on their system and join the server leave it running for a couple hours and get some new stuff. i dont think thatll happen though lol

dralla

BioRifle appreciation post. just recently started using it. just got my first BioHazard on Sanctuary.

unreal-tournament-2007-tba-20070125113300225.jpg

absolutely love using it in doorways. either lay it down like a mine or if another player is shooting at you, dodge across the doorway and shoot. low ammo "clip" cuts out spamming, so 95% of shots are fully charged Alt Fire's.

calder

I got it for christmas yesterday, played around with it a bit. At first my response was pretty negative - I never liked the look of UT and that followed through my somewhat meh response to Gears. And the gameplay felt so damn old. But while I think the visuals aren't that impressive except from a technical standpoint it does run well and it has a definite style. And for whatever reason the online DM is starting to click with me, probably due a lot to the fact that the game is surprisingly playable with a controller online. I'm in plenty of matches with KB/M folks and you can see how it'd be preferable I don't feel to be at that much of a disadvantage. Even now, there's something to be said for pure brainless DM where you just dierespawnkillkilldierespawn.

Even the goofy story with it's bot-matches masquerading as a campaign is kinda fun. Not sure what kind of legs this will have, but at least I don't regret opening it up instead of trading it in like I was for the first 30 minutes.

One thing holding me back is my lack of familiarity with UT. Going back to number 1 I never played it enough to figure out some of the weapons, and I *still* don't know what the fuck to do with the shock rifle. The alt fire shoots a ball of inkyness and then I shoot that with the beam? But it doesn't do shit!

I've been on all night. I'm taking a break for a bit but I'll start my server back up in a few if anyone wants to go. Maybe somone should start a locked gaf server.
Add me
BobTheFork

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Spin said:
I got the game and finished the story mode. The game is really fun but the story sucks. My PSN is Spindisle.
Do you fight Malcolm in the end?

ok im back. I'm gong to start my serve in about ten minutes. Its called Bob's Funhouse. I only have 8 players to keep the lag down. Ill say when its up
DM
no keyboard/mouse
pure server

Aeon712

I've been stuck out of town for Christmas so I haven't been ale to play Unreal and feel left out :(. I just know Sutdawg is getting better :'-(.

Bookey

Professional Monk
so yeah, whats the deal with voice chat I havent anyone talking all I have heard are those gd preset taunts etc

Aeon712

Bookey said:
so yeah, whats the deal with voice chat I havent anyone talking all I have heard are those gd preset taunts etc
Default chat is right(maybe left) on the dpad. Most people don't look at the booklet and have to be told to push that to talk. And most people find it annoying in a game this fast paced to to push and hold that button taking away the ability to move. And then there's people like me that don't wear their headsets in dm's :).

dralla

people have been begging for Epic to 'cook' Night At The Park for PS3 on their forums. I worry the PS3's ram will be a problem for it though, there's a lot of foilage to render. hopefully Sony will approve the software soon so anyone can do it. I still want my DM17, I will run DM17 duel servers all day long.

ps: look at all dat goo

6yvag68.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phaethon0017 said:
I customized this character...its not a map or anything, I just thought it was special :(.

UT3-2007-12-25-23-41-26-79.jpg
Holy shit!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The cut scenes are killing me. :lol

Somebody needs to make a parody FPS a la The Bard's Tale called Hyper Extreme Bald Space Marines and see how far we can push this 'bald dudes in heavy armor doing extreme shit with massive guns' motif.

I was always a girl in ut because the guys are so ugly. But why don't the girls have as much customization items as the guys? I can only choose out of 2, if I can choose anyway!

Mrbob

My Arms Your Hearse said:
So I'm on the verge of picking this up for PS3... how many servers are usually up? Easy to find a variety of match types at any time of day?

I would like to hear about this as well.

Firewire

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
So I'm on the verge of picking this up for PS3... how many servers are usually up? Easy to find a variety of match types at any time of day?
I'm seeing about 30 for TDM alone right now!

Firewire

Banned
kitch9 said:
How many servers does everybody get? I get like 5 maximum for warfare....

Every fucker is deathmatching.....Why?
Warfare gets crazy later, around 10pm, last night there were about 15-20 servers up.

calder

I stick to DM since it just feels like UT to me. And because I joined a Warfare server and had no fucking idea what I was doing. Like, none at all. I wish ppl were playing vehicle CTF, I want to try those crazy looking things but haven't ridden one single vehicle yet.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So glad I bought the CE, before UnrealEd was this crazy piece of software and no matter what I clicked nothing seemed to happen, after just a few tutorials it's starting to make some sense now. Sure I've just got two rooms, and a 'corridor' joining them, but it's a start, be glad once coursework/exams are done and I can create something someone might want to play!

Edit: Instagib CTF (IMO) is where Unreal is at it's best, nothing like trading shots with someone while running backwards with the flag :lol

dralla

calder said:
I stick to DM since it just feels like UT to me. And because I joined a Warfare server and had no fucking idea what I was doing. Like, none at all. I wish ppl were playing vehicle CTF, I want to try those crazy looking things but haven't ridden one single vehicle yet.

I used to be like you, only sticking to the traditional modes, but after playinh Warfare mode it's what I always search for first now. Learn how to play it in Campaign/Instant Action, than jump in online games, the back and forth battling for nodes and perfect vehicle balance make it the most fun to be had with UT3. Now if Epic could only bring back Assault...[which I think they will]

doogles said:
So is there even any point to finishing the campaign other than the pretty cutscenes or can I just play multiplayer?

You'll unlock all the characters. If you don't want to play through it, who does?, I uploaded a save sile that has all the character's unlocked already - http://www.sendspace.com/file/1fxvmg

You'll get all my settings too so you'll want to remember yours before you use this.

Just played the demo for the PC and despite having Doom 3D graphics, the game was fun to play. I wasn't expecting that, because usually I hate twitch games (I blow at CS). Anyways, I think I'll pick this up for the PS3 tomorrow, anyone know if a keyboard will make the game play better, or since the gameplay on the ps3 is slower in general, does it not really matter?

Firewire

Banned
GAZERK said:
Just played the demo for the PC and despite having Doom 3D graphics, the game was fun to play. I wasn't expecting that, because usually I hate twitch games (I blow at CS). Anyways, I think I'll pick this up for the PS3 tomorrow, anyone know if a keyboard will make the game play better, or since the gameplay on the ps3 is slower in general, does it not really matter?
Most will tell you that its damn fast for a console game! And the contoler is awesome, its al true!

Top Bottom