• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

jacket320

Bootaaay said:
Some of the maps are quite large though, I imagine it'd be a pain if you were host to stream a 48mb+ map to 8 or so people, at least it would with my shitty upload speed :p

Thats never stopped them in the previous games. Personally, my only real problem with UT is that you can't dl maps from within the game when you try and jump on a server that is using a map that you don't have. Keeping my fingers crossed that this might get patched in. Otherwise a lot of the seamless and mindless fun of jumping into random servers and playing terrible maps of someone's kitchen/bedroom/toilet bowl is gone.

Im having a blast with insta-gib and the game as a whole :)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
jacket320 said:
Thats never stopped them in the previous games.
Dedicated servers tend to have a much higher upload than your average user, imagine trying to share a 48MB map with say 5 others while playing with a few more.

Cruzader

Banned
Can someone clear one thing for me. I dont own UT3 yet or a PS3 to say, but dont UT3 players know about Mods on the PS3?? I mean how can they not know about them?
I've played PC games b4 and ther have been times that i 've been booted out b/c i didnt have certain map packs yet i went and got them to play so isnt it somewhat common sense to get them yourself if you cant play with others???

Aeon712

dralla said:
mouseut2.jpg
Do Want, oh crap do I want.

McLovin

Epic should round up all the best maps and mods and on a monthly basis release a huge pack That auto installs everything. Preferably it should be free.. but it wouldn't be out of the question if they charged for the bundle. The good thing about being able to download this stuff manually is that you can pretty much do whatever you want and you don't have to worry about content being filtered.
Also theres a speed freak/berserker freak mutator out. Makes the game run super fast(I imagine its what the pc runs like) Anyway the game is much more fun with it on(IMO) why on earth did Epic slow the game down if the PS3 could run it faster?

Clinton514

Is anyone else suffering from freezing(PS3) while joining Midway servers? Especially when the Suspense map is being joined? It doesn't happen often to me but it's enough to be annoying.

Clinton514 said:
Is anyone else suffering from freezing(PS3) while joining Midway servers? Especially when the Suspense map is being joined? It doesn't happen often to me but it's enough to be annoying.

CONSTANTLY.

Though mostly, for whatever reason, it is Vehicle CTF servers. I CANNOT JOIN THESE SERVERS, EVER.

When I first log on the game, my first attempt in a TDM or CTF usually results in a freeze... then it works flawlessly (it's bizarre).

And yea, it really only seems to be the midway servers.

Truespeed

Has anyone looked through the INI files for the PS3 cooking tools patch? Looks like it contains some real interesting information:

[%MUTATORNAME% UTUIDataProvider_Mutator]
ClassName=%MUTATORCLASSPATH%
GroupNames=%MUTATORGROUP%
FriendlyName=%MUTATORNAME%
Description=
bRemoveOn360=False
bRemoveOnPC=False
bRemoveOnPS3=False

[LoadForAllGameTypes]
Package=%MUTATORNAME%

Hmm, Interesting.

[FullScreenMovie]
!StartupMovies=ClearArray
+StartupMovies=HDD_PS3
+StartupMovies=Copyright_PS3
+StartupMovies=EpicLogo
+StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
+StartupMovies=UE3_logo
+StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie0

Hmm, perhaps a way to remove those annoying bik movies?

[Engine.Client]
MinDesiredFrameRate=35

[Engine.GameEngine]
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=58

[IpDrv.OnlineGameInterfaceImpl]
LanPacketPlatformMask=8

# DO NOT CHANGE AS THIS IS MAX ALLOWED BY TRC
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
ConnectionTimeout=30.0
InitialConnectTimeout=30.0

Hmm, wonder what happens when I modify these...

My understanding is that it works in an ELO system.

What does that mean?

Ratio doesn't mean anything - it's the rank of the people that you kill. And of course, the rank of those that kill you.

Kill a bunch of players who're rank 10,000+? Don't expect to gain much rank...but kill someone in the 'teens and you'll gain mucho rank.

"Epic should round up all the best maps and mods and on a monthly basis release a huge pack That auto installs everything. Preferably it should be free.. but it wouldn't be out of the question if they charged for the bundle. The good thing about being able to download this stuff manually is that you can pretty much do whatever you want and you don't have to worry about content being filtered."

Epic does this all the time, in "bonus packs." They also release some of their own stuff that didn't make the cut or that they worked on post release.

dralla

theBishop

Banned
Hey guys, Custom Characters are specifically listed as "supported" by Epic in the UT3mod mailing list:

What Is Supported

The following types of mods are supported. See the Not Supported section for
any restrictions.

Maps

These mods are created and saved with UnrealEd.

These are new maps that are intended for Epic supplied game types, or for
your own game types.

Mutators

These mods are programmed with UnrealScript.

These can be activated optionally during matches. These can range from
replacing all weapons to changing gravity in odd ways to affecting player
movement.

These can be auto-downloaded from a server running the new game type
without needing to install the mod on the client PS3s. Note that this is
just to play as a client; to run a server (or offline) with the mutator,
you will need to install the mod the standard way. Auto-downloaded mods
are put into a temporary cache only.

Game types

These mods are programmed with UnrealScript.

This is a new set of game rules that use existing maps (see Total
Conversions for game types)

These can be auto-downloaded like a mutator, above.

Custom Characters

Character pieces are simply building blocks for the custom character
system in UT3

Total Conversions

A Total Conversion, or TC, typically means replacing all of the content
that shipped with a game with completely unique content, including the
main menu.

On the PS3, the main menu cannot be replaced, but it can be used to load
another level that is the TC’s main menu. This can then branch off to load
the TC’s maps, etc.

These are generally a combination of new game types, new models, and new
levels.

Other modifications may work, but these are what we have tested and planned
for.

What Is Not Supported

Naturally, given the limited memory on PS3, etc, there are limitations to what
you can do.

Mutators and game types must consist of UnrealScript code only. This means
that you cannot have a mutator that turns all UT3 weapons into a space cow
model that you import.

This is because they need to work with shipping maps, and too much content
added on will cause the PS3 to run out of memory.

Importing sounds is not supported. This is because UT3 uses a proprietary
version of ATRAC3 and we are unable to release the tool that is needed to
convert .wav files to the format required by the game.

It is unknown if we will be able to have some system for sound conversion in
the future.

We understand the limitation this places on mod developers, and will rectify
this if at all possible in a future version.

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/pagetools/pagetools.php?act=printnews&id=146837

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I wonder if it is possible to modify the framerate of the game? I mean, the game was shown running at 60 fps on several occasions but was likely locked at 30 fps for the larger maps (which would slow down).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I just picked up the PS3 version yesterday. I've put a couple of hours into it so far and I'm really impressed with how smooth it runs. Good job Epic. Can't wait to download some mods and perhaps make a map or two.

Speevy

Banned
Is there some unchangeable reason behind every file needing to be called USERDATA.JAM?

Because if you could call them

USERDATA1.JAM
USERDATA2.JAM
USERDATA3.JAM
USERDATA4.JAM

Importing the mods on the PS3 would be much easier.

Crayon

BPK said:
All these new mods are great in all, but it seems like we will be over-saturated with them very soon. I have a feeling I will be playing most of these things in single player, because, at least where the maps are concerned, people online will rarely have the same maps.

The most popular mods will "float". If theres a bunch of games you can't get into because you don't have a certain mod yet, then you are going to go get it.

Erebus

Wollan said:
Incase you missed it there's one step to make it more ideal (downloading the mods from your PS3 browser).

Instructions and everything @ www.ut3mod.com

In case I missed this too, you're still have to quit the game and download the next mod everytime you import one.

The hassle for me is not in the way you download them, but in the way you import them. Having to replace this "userdata.jam" file each time.

Let's hope they fix it soon because mods are now all over the place.

Speevy

Banned
Could you somehow share these USERDATA.JAM files, thereby replacing them instantaneously without having to escape Unreal Tournament 3?

Erebus

Speevy said:
Could you somehow share these USERDATA.JAM files, thereby replacing them instantaneously without having to escape Unreal Tournament 3?

The best way is to either have a laptop nearby with the mods stored, thus swapping the file in your memory stick each time or actually have multiple memory sticks. :lol

Speevy said:

I made my life easier.

I have 3 Memory Stick, 1 SD Card, 1 Compact Flash, and a iPod.

Really, it finally comes in handy :lol

btw. New maps are up! It looks AWESOME!

Top Bottom