• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

"Do i need Ageia PhysX in order to play in the 2 maps Mod Pack they released?"

Yes. Not really worth it, especially since even with the card the performance is absolute garbage.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
It's really crazy that the designed Unreal Engine 3 with such poor AA support. I really don't get it. AA does so much for picture quality, I would rather play at 1280x720 on my PC with lots of AA than 1920x1080 and have it look the way it does.

On a more positive note I think the game is tonnes of fun, and yeah the story mode is a bit silly but it's got me addicted anyway! Just like the previous ones.

mr stroke

dralla said:
I don't even feel like buying the game anymore. Why spend $60 when no one is going to buy it? Epic, put out a demo. Sony, put it on your commercials. Midway, put up ad's. FUCK

it does suck that there isn't really much advertising or hype surounding the PS3 release of the game, but I guess thats Epic's fault of delay then last minute release, but considering the so called "limited release" of the game I guess it will sell out regaurdless??
I just pray it has a good long lasting communtiy online...I really don't want to wait until the 360 version comes out...

Dina

So, for anyone who plays this in a competition, how is it in that regard?

How are the netadmin options, the balanced maps, the weaponbalance, are defaultskins/brightskins in? Can you see your enemy without those skins? And for anyone who plays iCTF, how many proper clanwar maps are there?

I'm probably going to be playing CTF competitively. Truthfully, the game probably won't see competition really start until post-christmas. Weapons CTF-wise, 5/6 maps are definitely playable, though there's some debate on Strident an the shifting flag base. Weapon balance is good, less hitscan dependant vs. UT2K4 due to the map designs (less wide open rooms and long visibility). There is an option to disable customized characters, but I'm not sure what effect that has on skins. The default skins/models are all very visible though so that's not a big deal.

To answer one of your questions and the big reason why it won't see competition until after christmas is: No Webadmin. Furthermore, the whole server thing is a little botched at the moment. You can't copy/paste in server ips, and if you DO directly join an IP from the console, if an admin forces the map to a different one, you're liable to be stuck unable to move. Luckily, Epic's said web admin will be in patch 2, so there you go.

Mash

Teknopathetic said:
"1) I could not rid the demo of that awful blurry effect, even though my specs are well above recommended, can I get rid of this in the full game?"

Turn up the screen percentage.

"2) I like TF2 and Battlefield 2, other games I just haven't been able to stick with recently; what's going to be the best option you think for someone with my vague taste, CoD4 or UT3 in terms of online play?"

Seems like you like class-based shooters, may not be your cuppa.

Yeah, I think I've just got to accept it. I've owned every UT so far but I've only ever been able to play the instagib mutators without getting bored. I think I'll go with CoD4 or Quake Wars as someone else suggested, I'll no doubt pick this up eventually though.

Dina

Teknopathetic said:
I'm probably going to be playing CTF competitively. Truthfully, the game probably won't see competition really start until post-christmas. Weapons CTF-wise, 5/6 maps are definitely playable, though there's some debate on Strident an the shifting flag base. Weapon balance is good, less hitscan dependant vs. UT2K4 due to the map designs (less wide open rooms and long visibility). There is an option to disable customized characters, but I'm not sure what effect that has on skins. The default skins/models are all very visible though so that's not a big deal.

To answer one of your questions and the big reason why it won't see competition until after christmas is: No Webadmin. Furthermore, the whole server thing is a little botched at the moment. You can't copy/paste in server ips, and if you DO directly join an IP from the console, if an admin forces the map to a different one, you're liable to be stuck unable to move. Luckily, Epic's said web admin will be in patch 2, so there you go.

Thanks for answering. No webadmin is a big slip-up, but it's good to see it being patched. I might get it around that time since I always enjoyed the UT-series and I kinda feel like doing iCTF again.

Teknopathetic said:
I think you mean Strident, and yes, the health pulse is cool. Sentinel is the Quake 3-ish looking DM map, which is also super cool for 1v1 or maaaaaaaybe 2v2, max. Reflection and Omicron Dawn are both also cool CTF maps. Defiance is another cool TDM map.

The lighting on Coret is *superb*.
Yes, you're right...strident. I like Sentinel as well for smaller games. I like most of the maps, actually.

so mods on ps3, does that include custom maps? Seems like it could be a pain to manage on a console. I just want my freaking Giant Bathroom level, thats all!

Dartastic

Crap crap crap. I bought the standard edition, only to find that the collectors edition comes with hours and hours of tutorials for the Ed, all of which I need. DAMNNNNNN. Anyone know any good resources for UT3 level editing, besides 3dbuzz.com?

Dartastic

djtortilla said:
can someone please make make a MOD that makes this game G-rated, so I can play with the kids and sensitive ones?

There's a button in the options that turns off ridiculous gore. I'm not sure how much that actually does, but... It's worth a shot. Now about those tutorials... Anyone?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Coming into this thread BLIND. Is that a mod I see that lists off how players were killed in the corner? I absolutely f'ing hate the game (playing the PS3 version) shipped without it...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
eXxy said:
Coming into this thread BLIND. Is that a mod I see that lists off how players were killed in the corner? I absolutely f'ing hate the game (playing the PS3 version) shipped without it...

Wait.. PS3 version is out?

kenta

Has no PEINS
eXxy said:
I absolutely f'ing hate the game (playing the PS3 version) shipped without it...
You hate that the game shipped without it? Or you hate the game?

Seriously impressions (also can you please tell me whether or not the PS3 version lets you invert both X and Y axes)

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Stinkles said:
Wait.. PS3 version is out?

Nope, next week, I think.

kenta said:
You hate that the game shipped without it? Or you hate the game?

Shipped without an indicator of what's going on during gameplay. For example, when I'm killed, it could've been by by an airborne vehicle or a sniper -- I would have no idea. I'm trying to find out if someone could load that mod into the UE3 tools, export it to PS3 and let me see if it works. :)

kenta

Has no PEINS
eXxy said:
Shipped without an indicator of what's going on during gameplay. For example, when I'm killed, it could've been by by an airborne vehicle or a sniper -- I would have no idea. I'm trying to find out if someone could load that mod into the UE3 tools, export it to PS3 and let me see if it works. :)
It's been a while since I played UT99 (the One True UT) but isn't that how it's always been? Edit: Oh that's right I forgot about the words, those have always been there

Also pretty please answer the X/Y inversion question, nobody else has responded to my requests :(

Zophar

Buh? It doesn't have the scrolling match update? All the previous versions had it, I mean it's a staple of the genre.

Still getting the console version for the time being but I am curious about one thing: we know that mods/maps and stuff can be baked for play on the Ps3, but how about total conversion mods like Inflitration and Red Orchestra from days of yore? That would be amazing if true.

guldakot

I would definately agree that wep balance is vastly improved over 2k4 (Even though Im a shock juggling hs whore lol) I just dont like the stinger, feel its a little too strong imho.

Gametrailers just posted a couple of PS3 gameplay videos.

It's probably the review code as Gametrailers usually put up videos like this before the review.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
AT first i wasnt hyped, But now ive seen more of the game and am getting into FPSes, Late to the party i know... But im in EU, is there a confirmed release date yet? i really hope its January or something, i dont feel like waiting 4 months :( (PS3 version offcourse)

Cheeto

Dina said:
Thanks for answering. No webadmin is a big slip-up, but it's good to see it being patched. I might get it around that time since I always enjoyed the UT-series and I kinda feel like doing iCTF again.
iCTF is also kind of bonked at the moment. Hitscan weapons are all a little "off" right now, hopefully it'll be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Sirolf

Metalmurphy said:

It's probably the review code as Gametrailers usually put up videos like this before the review.

Wow absolutely superb :D
I have the game on a big rig (e6750,8800GTX) and it really comes close!!
Gratz Epic !

Wollan

Metalmurphy said:

Looks great. Hopefully the shipping US->EU will go fast.

dralla

GameTrailers quality has gone done significantly lately, all of their videos are compressed to hell.

so patrck, how does the game feel on a control? and have you checked the online options at all, is there PSN friend support? can I actually invite people to a room, or is it shitty like Warhawk where I can only see them

AltogetherAndrews said:
Looks nice, but damn that's slow
It's like a completely different game when played on a controller, isn't it? It's going to be interesting to see how things play out on servers that allow m+kb and controllers to intermingle.

theBishop

Banned
Please tell me it supports 4-player split screen.

And for bonus points, PLEASE tell me it supports 4-player split screen online. :(

h3ro

theBishop said:
Please tell me it supports 4-player split screen.

And for bonus points, PLEASE tell me it supports 4-player split screen online. :(

I believe it supports all that and it also has the option to add bots into MP matches...

CAVE343

Metalmurphy said:

Wow nice :) Added to the op. It looks like a whole different game! really slow compared to the PC version. Can't wait to try it out.

Zophar

Those look fantastic. Good to see that Mark Rein wasn't bluffing about it looking and running better than Gears on 360.

CAVE343

Zophar said:
Those look fantastic. Good to see that Mark Rein wasn't bluffing about it looking and running better than Gears on 360.

yeah it looks great but Im kinda worried about the slow paced gameplay. Maybe its the best for the control pad. Still, I wanna try it out for myself

Top Bottom