• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS4 MLB 14: The Show Online League Thread - Will it work?

5bwcicR.jpg

That's how my last online game looked. Lost 4-3. I couldn't see the pitches i had to just guess the whole game.

Just to post what Rob had on the other page, this is our league site:

http://theshownation.com/franchises/63182

It looks like some games finished successfully, others didn't....wish we could get 100% but that's a bummer. I thought for the most part my game was lag free though.

v1lla, I'll likely be more around more than tonight so if I see you on PSN I'll shoot you a message and see if you want to do game 2

Also I didn't realize the Cardinals were so OP. I know they won a few years ago but I thought it was supposed to be with a bunch of nobodies. Not that they really have a superstar but they have a lot of good hitters. Their farm system is especially elite, wtf, they have more 70s and 80s guys there than the Marlins have in the majors!

turnbuckle

I'm kind of confused by some of the attributes of players this year.

If you go on the website or look at my roster in the game it says Justin Verlander is an overall 96 rated pitcher.

But when the game starts and I choose him as my pitcher it showed him as a 93.

Also - since this is an online franchise are we able to train our players? The website Ph33 linked shows a training section and shows what different players are doing:

I've never messed around with training much in the past so I don't know what affect it has. Presumably training weights would work on power, hitting coach would work on contact, etc. etc. But is it working that way in this franchise or is it just there for show? If it is working that way, how long does it take for things to improve, and do attributes degrade if a player doesn't train on them?

Anywho, it was fun to get those first two games in last night. I'm sure everyone will get better at hitting soon - I've never been a great hitter, but I and a lot of other vets may have a lot of rust from not playing in awhile (haven't played since the last GAF league went kaput)

I hope there's an update to the game soon for the lag issues. Lag is lag is lag, it might be a tough ask to get that improved much. But the way it handles it this year is causing all of us to make weird baserunning and throwing mistakes. I tried advancing on a bunt yesterday because it looked like I was going to be safe by a mile, yet when the screen transitioned back to my batter I found I had an extra out and that player was no longer on base. Also saw my opponent throw a ball from Adam Dunn in right field that looked like it went 1,000,000,000 miles in the air. It was a legit triple for me, but if I hadn't guessed it was a weird latency glitch one would have assumed my runner could have rounded the bases a dozen times while the ball was still in trajectory hahaha.

Yeah unfortunately I think the "What the fuck just happened on my screen" and "Why is that guy out" is going to be the most frequent annoyances. I doubt those get fixed...so I'm playing conservatively because of that.

I'm actually not having issues with hitting though, and v1lla didn't really either. In game 1 yesterday I seemed to plenty a lot of bloopers and doubles and I had I think 3 homers. He hit plenty of fly balls, some pretty hard, but they would all just fall right into my OF

turnbuckle

Yeah unfortunately I think the "What the fuck just happened on my screen" and "Why is that guy out" is going to be the most frequent annoyances. I doubt those get fixed...so I'm playing conservatively because of that.

I'm actually not having issues with hitting though, and v1lla didn't really either. In game 1 yesterday I seemed to plenty a lot of bloopers and doubles and I had I think 3 homers. He hit plenty of fly balls, some pretty hard, but they would all just fall right into my OF

The rest of the league better watch out for me and Drizz then - we were pitching our butts off yesterday. Of course the better team won out in the end (not necessarily the better player though lol)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think "Awe fuck, just got disconnected" is going to creep into the league lexicon also.

v1lla21

yeah haha. I gave up a lot of runs on both 2nd innings :( I found it way harder to bat against you than any other person I've played. I only started lagging right before you got disconnected. Batting was horrible when I was lagging. Plus I'd see shit that didn't even happen.

turnbuckle

For whatever reason the connection between Drizz and I yesterday was mostly red the whole game. The lag wasn't really that bad when playing other than those weird glitch looking things happening occasionally. Glad we didn't get disconnected, though it did say I failed to accept his challenge a few times even after I fixed my roster.

I know Sony San Diego usually puts out a big patch a month or so into each version of the game. Sometimes it fixes things, sometimes it breaks things. A little of both. Wonder how this game will perform after it gets its first major patch.

This game seriously has me considering getting one of those hybrid HDD/SDD drives. It won't help me when playing online unless my opponent is also using an SSD or hybrid, but it might make the overall experience a smoother one.

I could google this but I might as well ask real quick here - do we get stubs for playing in the league? I've got my Diamond Dynasty team mostly set up and it'd be pretty cool to earn currency for it by playing league games with you guys.

DietRob

I'll be honest I really don't understand how the stub system works. I know we get XP for playing in the league and if that XP translates into stubs then I guess we do?

turnbuckle

I haven't messed around with it yet but I believe you earn stubs playing different modes and can use it to buy currency for things like RTTS, Diamond Dynasty, and some of those challenges that don't seem to be free to try.

It's San Diego studios less intrusive version of NBA2k's VC. You use it to buy upgrades for your rtts player. I don't play diamond dynasty but I imagine it's used there too.

Yup.

I earned like 38 stubs playing an online exhibition game the other day.

IMG_97921596040699_zpsbc8e458c.jpg

These are what stubs can get ya

DietRob

lol

what the hell is the stub system

It's San Diego studios less intrusive version of NBA2k's VC. You use it to buy upgrades for your rtts player. I don't play diamond dynasty but I imagine it's used there too.

Mrbob

Ecnal going to be gone most of the day today but I should be free tomorrow outside of the Blackhawks game and game of thrones.

I can't I'll be at work :( I probably won't be free until 6 or 7 CT.

That sounds good I'll be around later in the evening too, just let me know when you're around

sounds good, bob.

are we flex scheduling? if so, pads will be here today/tomorrow.

No flex scheduling for now, flex scheduling was a bit of fuckery in the test league so I decided to be cautious

Man, being Giancarlo stanton in the minors must have been fun

skeeter johnson is tearing up double A ball with the jacksonville suns

v1lla21

That sounds good I'll be around later in the evening too, just let me know when you're around

No flex scheduling for now, flex scheduling was a bit of fuckery in the test league so I decided to be cautious
Hey, I won't be able to play. I'll probably be on around the same time as last time.

DietRob

Anyone want to play one. I told EZ I couldn't tonight because I figured I'd be spending time with wifey after the movie but she ended up falling asleep.

DietRob

damn, another league game down the toilet. we are going to end up disbanding in record time aren't we

get your shit together san diego

DietRob

Only way I'm ever going to get Churches chicken is if I have a home game vs my boy phee

btw challenge of the week froze up on me. so the servers must of really shit the bed.

*did they just try to push a roster update or something? after challenge of the week was frozen downloading forever it error out and said that there was a problem downloading a roster update. who knows with these jokers.

omfg fuck this ump and his bullshit calls! had a 3-1 lead in the 7th and then this piece of shit ump gets me on some shitty calls so in order to NOT walk someone and put myself in a bigger hole i started moving my pitches COMPLETELY in the zone and of course i pay for it. it's probably the same ump that does my game against pheeniks :(

Awesome game McNei1y! I was nervous as hell the last half of the game.

Won 3-2 in 10 innings.

gg crimson. I really hate how the fielding animations glitch. I don't know whether I can advance a base or not.

Yea me too I had a guy thrown out at third because of it early in the game. I usually play real conservative on the basepath though. I'll be back around in a few hours if you want to get another one in later.

Sanjuro

Wait, so why was I invited only to the defunct league and why is DCX looking for me if my team is empty?

Is DCX in the right league as well?

McNei1y

Awesome game McNei1y! I was nervous as hell the last half of the game.

Won 3-2 in 10 innings.

Yea me too I had a guy thrown out at third because of it early in the game. I usually play real conservative on the basepath though. I'll be back around in a few hours if you want to get another one in later.

Yeah I can get some in later tonight for sure.

Top Bottom