• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS4 MLB 14: The Show Online League Thread - Will it work?

I use zone hitting.

GG man! It played pretty good over here. I thought it was going disconnect once late in the game though. Do you want to play our last one?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't think pulse pitching is doable online. So much meat. ugh

Maybe in a bit.

Yuck, you use pulse? I have never been able to get the hang of it. Meter for life.

I'm going to have to head to bed soon cause I have to be up pretty early tomorrow. If you want to go in the next 10 minutes or so I could otherwise might have to wait until thurs night.

This game desperately needs a way to resume games.. nothing sucks more than going 8 innings and getting dropped.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
This game is gonna have a real short leash with me on game crashes. Ive already had 1 in 3 attempts. Thats already too many.

We're going to try the 3rd game of our series now, so whichever game isn't resolved just give to Pistol

Brandon Morrow injured......this game is too real

Melky also made a leaping catch off the wall of the forever

Huh - Morrow is out of my rotation but not listed on the DL

turnbuckle

One thing I noticed while playing a few online games - the ball looks like it's moving extremely slow when you're pitching. From the batter's POV it looks normal, but when it's your turn to pitch it looks like your 98 mph heater is a jamie moyer "fastball".

Also had a glitch in the game with Che last night in the 9th inning. I thought the game was going to freeze but it didn't.

The situation:

DVG3egD.png

You'll see in the game summary that it says "Saunders bunted and deflected off the pitcher for a single." This never happened.

What DID happen was that I thought about bunting but quickly tried to pull it back, long before a pitch was thrown. While I let go of the bunt button the game froze on my end for a good 5-6 seconds at least and I thought..."fuck, game is going to crash on me".

But it didn't.

Instead, the game unfroze and my AB appeared to continue as usual. But after Che threw a pitch I noticed I had a runner on base. I was confused, Che was confused - he said he didn't remember how my guy got on base either. I'm not sure what it looked like from his vantage point - I'm sure this is some next level latency issue we got hit with.

Again, even though the summary said I had a bunt single I never came close to bunting. My game never switched to the fielding view so I never saw the supposed "bunt deflected off the pitcher, Choate".

So, yeah, that was totally fucked up. I got a free base while the game froze for a few seconds. Not sure if it's a bug that's easy to duplicate, but if it is I'd be wary of playing too many exhibition games where people are known to cheese. (a common one being the repeated fake bunt animations that can interfere with the pitching meter and throw a pitcher off.)

There were some other weird things too. A few that are similar to the other lag induced "multiple outcomes" issues we're all facing. But another weird one I saw was with Robinson Cano at bat - I hit what should have been a single (or a double if Cano had any kind of speed). I hit the L1 button to advance him past first for a second to test Che's arm but quickly hit R1 to turn him around.

Instead of Cano turning around he starts running in circles around the pitcher's mound. Since the ball was too far in the outfield for me to actually SEE Cano running I had to judge by the circles on the diamond display in the top corner. But that circle was just going nuts, circling and circling and circling until I was forced out at first.

I didn't even have an entire beer for this game so I sure as hell wasn't imagining it lol.

eznark

Banned
One thing I noticed while playing a few online games - the ball looks like it's moving extremely slow when you're pitching. From the batter's POV it looks normal, but when it's your turn to pitch it looks like your 98 mph heater is a jamie moyer "fastball".

Yeah, I despise that

Mrbob

Last night I threw the ball right down the middle of the plate and the ump called it a ball lol wtf. Time to turn variable ump off.

turnbuckle

Turnbuckle, you around?

Sorry man, I packed it up for the night probably around 11pm.
Are you up for a game tonight? You pick the time - any time after 7pm and before midnight.

Just lemme know when you know. I'm gonna be going out for a drink with my brother at some point tonight, but I'll schedule that around our game.

turnbuckle

Yeah, I despise that

Yup. It's completely throwing off my judgment for when it's my turn to bat and making me think every pitch I'm throwing is just waiting to get teed off on. Absolutely hate it.

Last night I threw the ball right down the middle of the plate and the ump called it a ball lol wtf. Time to turn variable ump off.

Haha, yeah, it is really nuts this year. I guess that can happen every now and then in real life but the ump variability in the show has never been this bad before. You'd sometimes see that kind of terrible call on a knuckler that landed well in the zone in the past on this game, but some of the balls I'm seeing now are nuts. I'm not seeing as many borderline strikes called or pitches that are clearly balls occasionally being strikes though. But then I generally don't throw too far out left or right out of the zone so I can't say. Maybe an in-between would be to just turn the variability off but keep the standard bad calls option on? I mean...part of the fun in pitching is getting that slightly bad call in your favor and vice versa when hitting. But it's just ridiculous this year.

I's usually the first couple of months of a game where anybody from Sony pays attention to complaints and addresses (some of) them. The recent patch seemed to do nothing that I could tell. Checking the Show Forum and there aren't even any patch notes listed. People over there are wondering what changed too...

The cynic in me thinks maybe the update only affected something to do with stubs/currency/rewards or similar. Or maybe it was an update that did nothing, but was a necessary download before a real patch comes out? fuck if I know!

Sorry man, I packed it up for the night probably around 11pm.
Are you up for a game tonight? You pick the time - any time after 7pm and before midnight.

Just lemme know when you know. I'm gonna be going out for a drink with my brother at some point tonight, but I'll schedule that around our game.
Go grab a beer with your brother, I can play anytime today.

Top Bottom