• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS4 MLB 14: The Show Online League Thread - Will it work?

turnbuckle

Well, when the Show 18 comes out and finally works I think this group of players will be good for a few seasons. Hard to believe everyone's still here despite this game being the absolute worst it's ever been (at least since 08 when I started playing). This game is garbage, total garbage. Even things that aren't broken are worse this year - like loading times. I used to love playing RTTS, but you could get through a bunch of games really quickly. The loading times sometimes last longer than a game depending on the manager's hook or your plate opportunities lol.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
the game just ruled my base hit that resulted in the runner on 2nd being thrown out at the plate a groundout, ruined my 13-game hitting streak

Yea, it's called a fielders choice. If the fielder had the option of throwing you out or throwing the guy ahead of you out it's not a hit.

Well, when the Show 18 comes out and finally works...

lol.

I am proud of us all for having stuck with it. Outside of a few members who CAN't RESIST GETTING BANNED I feel like we have all at least given this our best shot

Must really blow cause I think I have had the least disconnect issues,,,,comcast FTW?

DietRob

CB do you want to try and play one of our games? I just got done stomping LA in the first game of my offline franchise and feel ready for Kershaw.

turnbuckle

wait, didn't you and turnbuckle have a DC and you were assigned the win? do you work for sony san diego?

Nah, that was me and BigJonsson. If I hadn't won the first two games of that series already and it wasn't so late I would have hoped for a chance to play that third game again (first DC I was up 3-0 in the 5th; second DC I was down 3-1 or 4-2 or 4-1 or something around the same point in the game.) I felt like it was more likely he would have came back in that first game than I would have in the second one, so fair's fair.

Haven't played Ferny yet. He never responded to my post yesterday in this thread...I think he's ducking me.

Not really. I wish I wasn't so busy so I could play some games earlier on the weekend.

Anywho - I've been playing around with different camera angles trying to find something that works. If I use (I think) catch 4 I'm early on everything. Early or very early. If I use catcher 3 I'm just late on everything. I need to find something in between, but there's not really a catcher 3.5....

Also, thank god Joe Nathan's 2014 season isn't reflected in his attributes for this league. I'd be fucked.

Nah, that was me and BigJonsson. If I hadn't won the first two games of that series already and it wasn't so late I would have hoped for a chance to play that third game again (first DC I was up 3-0 in the 5th; second DC I was down 3-1 or 4-2 or 4-1 or something around the same point in the game.) I felt like it was more likely he would have came back in that first game than I would have in the second one, so fair's fair.

Haven't played Ferny yet. He never responded to my post yesterday in this thread...I think he's ducking me.

Not really. I wish I wasn't so busy so I could play some games earlier on the weekend.

Anywho - I've been playing around with different camera angles trying to find something that works. If I use (I think) catch 4 I'm early on everything. Early or very early. If I use catcher 3 I'm just late on everything. I need to find something in between, but there's not really a catcher 3.5....

Also, thank god Joe Nathan's 2014 season isn't reflected in his attributes for this league. I'd be fucked.

fair enough i suppose! still strange that ferny is the only one not affected by these issues. this game is honestly neck and neck with NBA 2k14 as the worst online performance i've ever seen in a videogame. not from a lag perspective but from a "can i start/finish a game" perspective

DietRob

Yea, it was super laggy for me from the very start. I couldn't hit the mark on meter pitching and was off by at least a second on every pitch which meant I left some absolute meatballs up there.

Game is better played offline, unfortunately. Like always.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Ive had nothing but a great time online when it worked properly. More than I expected to. Unfortunate that it just cant work fucking properly most of the time.

DietRob

Agreed. When it works it's great. However, with only 8 games into the season I've only actually managed to play 4 of them to completion. I know it's not an issue on my network I'm connected via ethernet and everything else works perfect.

turnbuckle

Anyone else hear about issues regarding online franchise playoffs?

I saw this thread and made me wonder if it could happen to us.

Playoffs in online franchise.

Also, this is exactly what it looks like when I was playing BigJonsson the other day when the game disconnected/crashed/whatever

Freeze Online

I've hit the share button a few times when these things have happened but I'm not too familiar with how that feature works yet. Although I know anything I'd post won't be unique to the rest of you. What the hell Sony San Diego

Ferny

Sorry I thought I responsed but then again I was very drunk last night. I can do a game maybe two at 7pm if that works.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I think ive had better luck than most here, but the percentage of games ive had an issue with is still way to high for my liking.

turnbuckle

This thread, and many others like it continue to get locked on the show nation's site

Reason for locking:

qtOoVAo.png

I understand they have to be frustrated hearing the same things over and over again and I sympathize a bit because I imagine if it were up to them they'd have more people, time, and resources to get the game right. But one area where they can try appealing to fans of the game is through communication. And I don't mean just a post every couple of weeks that says "we're working on it", but real communication. So frustrating. They should have kept the old online code (which worked great for me every year since 2010 even though I know some people had lots of issues with it) and did a longer beta test with this new netcode whatever that they're using. Great game but really really shoddy quality control for the online side of things.

turnbuckle

Sorry I thought I responsed but then again I was very drunk last night. I can do a game maybe two at 7pm if that works.

Any way you can do later? I made plans for tonight since I wasn't sure if we were going to be playing. I could go at 9 if you're able to, otherwise we can work something out during the week.

turnbuckle

This episode I don't see being a super exciting one, but the next one for sure.

I've avoided any discussion or spoiling of even the episode 9 previews. Unless they save the consequences of the previous episode for episode 10 I'm pretty excited.

But maybe I should just watch the rest of the Tigers-Sox game and catch the episode on HBOGO/DVR once it's over if it's not expected to be an exciting one. I like to watch as close to live as I can to avoid spoilers on facebook, but maybe there'll be nothing major to spoil. Not sure the show can get any more dramatic than a close lead in the 9th with Joe Nathan attempting to close the game.....

Anyone else hear about issues regarding online franchise playoffs?

I saw this thread and made me wonder if it could happen to us.

Playoffs in online franchise.

Also, this is exactly what it looks like when I was playing BigJonsson the other day when the game disconnected/crashed/whatever

Freeze Online

I've hit the share button a few times when these things have happened but I'm not too familiar with how that feature works yet. Although I know anything I'd post won't be unique to the rest of you. What the hell Sony San Diego

I've had that same thing happen to me several times including last night against FMT in the bottom of the 8th inning. Offline, and online when it actually works, it's the best baseball game I've ever played. It's really disappointing how horrible the online is this year. I need to stop expecting sports games to work online unless they're made by EA. People always shit on EA but at least their games work.

I've had that same thing happen to me several times including last night against FMT in the bottom of the 8th inning. Offline, and online when it actually works, it's the best baseball game I've ever played. It's really disappointing how horrible the online is this year. I need to stop expecting sports games to work online unless they're made by EA. People always shit on EA but at least their games work.

most of the people who shit on EA don't play EA games or don't play them online. its a shame because MLB is a much better representation of baseball than madden is of football but at least i can consistently finish a game online in madden.

turnbuckle

Ferny, what time are you able to play tomorrow? With grandma kicking the bucket and family flying in from all over this week my schedule is questionable. I know I won't be able to start games on any night before 7pm and most nights 9pm is a better start time for me but this extra variable leaves a bit of uncertainty. I think it's better for you to tell me what days/times you're available (so long as they're after 7pm) and I'll do my best to hop on.

I feel the wheels starting to come off a bit on this league and the last thing I want to do is contribute further by not getting my games in. We may not be able to get all 3 in (or we might!) but I'll do what I can. Next week should be a little better for me.

Ferny

Ferny, what time are you able to play tomorrow? With grandma kicking the bucket and family flying in from all over this week my schedule is questionable. I know I won't be able to start games on any night before 7pm and most nights 9pm is a better start time for me but this extra variable leaves a bit of uncertainty. I think it's better for you to tell me what days/times you're available (so long as they're after 7pm) and I'll do my best to hop on.

I feel the wheels starting to come off a bit on this league and the last thing I want to do is contribute further by not getting my games in. We may not be able to get all 3 in (or we might!) but I'll do what I can. Next week should be a little better for me.
Monday nights are hectic for me cause I do crossfit after work and by the time I get home I don't want to really play anything. I'm free Tuesday and the rest of the week anytime after 7pm so whatever works for you.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother man.

turnbuckle

Monday nights are hectic for me cause I do crossfit after work and by the time I get home I don't want to really play anything. I'm free Tuesday and the rest of the week anytime after 7pm so whatever works for you.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother man.

Yeah, Mondays are a no-go for me also. the gym at 6am, work from 8-4, rock climbing from 4:15 to 6:30, then kickball from 7-9pm and then the bar with the rest of the kickball league afterwards :p Literally no wiggle room for me to get a game in on Mondays

Ferny

Yeah, Mondays are a no-go for me also. the gym at 6am, work from 8-4, rock climbing from 4:15 to 6:30, then kickball from 7-9pm and then the bar with the rest of the kickball league afterwards :p Literally no wiggle room for me to get a game in on Mondays
Jesus

How are you not a puddle of sweat on the floor by the end of all that?

About the future of this league:

If you've gotten fed up with the disconnects and whatnot, I'd understand if you have the desire to drop and I won't hold it against you for doing so.

If you want to stay in...you're gonna basically have to be so patient and like the game enough that you're willing to put up with this shit until we power to the end. I myself am willing to do that. Won't blame others if they don't.

turnbuckle

If you've gotten fed up with the disconnects and whatnot, I'd understand if you have the desire to drop and I won't hold it against you for doing so.

If you want to stay in...you're gonna basically have to be so patient and like the game enough that you're willing to put up with this shit until we power to the end. I myself am willing to do that. Won't blame others if they don't.

Delete this post! I think it will only encourage a few people on the fence to leave rather than stick around. And that's the beginning of the end :(

But I agree with you and totally understand. It sucks because I have more fun playing against you guys than anything else, but this year has been simply abysmal.

DietRob

I'm going to stick around until the bitter end. I've got nothing better to do and don't really play any games except The Show and Madden.

This game really pisses me off sometimes but I'm not going anywhere!

Do you guys also get NHL? Because even if you don't watch or really know hockey it's a shit ton of fun as we've had in years past with EASHL. You guys sound like it'd be a blast to be on a team with lol

DietRob

Do you guys also get NHL? Because even if you don't watch or really know hockey it's a shit ton of fun as we've had in years past with EASHL. You guys sound like it'd be a blast to be on a team with lol

I haven't bought a hockey game since, damn probably the Genesis era. I don't follow the sport at all I'll see if I can find somewhere to rent it when it comes out. Having a 5 man mGAF team sounds like boatloads of fun. As long as there are still fights, lol.

I haven't bought a hockey game since, damn probably the Genesis era. I don't follow the sport at all I'll see if I can find somewhere to rent it when it comes out. Having a 5 man mGAF team sounds like boatloads of fun. As long as there are still fights, lol.

You aren't that far behind us lol

I played one a few years ago and kept getting offsides called on me. I don't know anything about hockey but I did have fun once I turned offsides off.

Top Bottom