• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS4 MLB 14: The Show Online League Thread - Will it work?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yeah, sorry phee obviously it's not your fault. I don't play anything but this game so I'm down to keep playing but probably not in this league where half of the guys already dipped.

One idea for the guys left over...which may be 6. Or 7. I don't know

We could do a round robin to determine seedings for the playoffs. So we'd just have a bunch of short seasons. This means we can change teams a lot. What say you guys?

One idea for the guys left over...which may be 6. Or 7. I don't know

We could do a round robin to determine seedings for the playoffs. So we'd just have a bunch of short seasons. This means we can change teams a lot. What say you guys?

That sounds cool. Most of my games I played against you worked fine. Who else is left?

Me
Drizzler
Crimson
V1lla
Ecnal
FMT
Jonsson
Bob
PistolPete?
Dmncnby?
Sanjuro?
DCX?

That's 12 people so i think seasons would be 22 games, one home one away.....at least that's how I think it works lol

DietRob

I'll play again. Like I said before I don't have any other games I'm playing right now.

Drizzler this league is dead. There's no point for anyone to keep playing games.

We just need to find out who would be in for Round Robin. I'll PM the rest of the guys I was in question about.

Ferny

I just want to say great job running the league Phee. You did a great job keeping everyone interested, even with all the problems other people were having, and were good with advances and such.

turnbuckle

I just want to say great job running the league Phee. You did a great job keeping everyone interested, even with all the problems other people were having, and were good with advances and such.

+1

You did everything you could, man. I clearly don't have the same kind of patience.

Looking around other forums, leagues falling apart are routine this year. Way more than any other. I know the GAF league tends to fall apart at some point, but if the game were as good this year as it has been in the past I think you would've held this one together.

Sanjuro

If I didn't let Mr. Ph33ney start up the league, would I have gotten blowjobs?

Same shit as every year. This year the online was simply broken.

I'm down with whatever. Even with all the issues online, I've put in about 100 games already. Come to think of it, most if not all of the issues I've had online have occurred during league play. Playing randoms has been smooth.

Never really got into that. Same with that similar game in Madden.
Diamond Dynasty is built a LOT better than Madden Ultimate Team. I have an awesome team and I havent spent any $ on it. Thats not really possible in Madden. If you win about 6/10 you get the previous months best players at each position for 10 games. Just got to save $50M. You get $7-8M per win.

DietRob

Diamond Dynasty is built a LOT better than Madden Ultimate Team. I have an awesome team and I havent spent any $ on it. Thats not really possible in Madden. If you win about 6/10 you get the previous months best players for 10 games. Just got to save $50M. You get $7-8M per win.

I don't play it either but because I always assumed it was a pay to win type situation like MUT is. I might check it out.

turnbuckle

I don't play it either but because I always assumed it was a pay to win type situation like MUT is. I might check it out.

Oh, it very much can be pay 2 win but that was more the case in previous years than now. Starting with last year they introduced caps to statistics on players; so even a person spending all their real money on the game couldn't field a team full of 99 OVR players. But, yes, if you are willing to blow money you will have a better chance (all other things held constant) of winning.

But it's not as fun to do that.

Only reason I haven't touched it this year is because of all the online troubles. I was an active member of the DD discussion board over at the show forums the past 2 seasons. This season it's pretty dead over there, and lots of the old vets I recognize have also given up on the mode.

Just won 7-3. There are some OP teams but with the $50M pack I got a team full of all stars so I can compete. Encarnacion just grandslammed after he intentionally walks Tulowitzski. :D

The real difference is his guys are the developmental BS so their contracts are 3 times longer than mine. AI have to win or my team gets worse, those who pay dont have to worry about that.

turnbuckle

Just won 7-3. There are some OP teams but with the $50M pack I got a team full of all stars so I can compete. Encarnacion just grandslammed after he intentionally walks Tulowitzski. :D

The real difference is his guys are the developmental BS so their contracts are 3 times longer than mine. AI have to win or my team gets worse, those who pay dont have to worry about that.

Using the marketplace can be a great way to build up a team. One thing I did in the past was buy a team of really cheap DD cards that had 35-40 games and then stick with that roster for the term of their contracts. This actually helped me get a lot better at the game at the time and also allowed me to rack up a ton of bank so I could start putting together a really legit team. I peaked at being ranked #2 in Diamond Dynasty 2 years ago.

Though I certainly wasn't the second best player in the mode. I was pretty good but committing myself to that mode over the others allowed me to field a great team. I learned to take balls a lot more frequently when a lot of my players sucked, and once I got good players I felt like I was a beast.

All of that skill certainly never translated to the GAF league though :p

I asked DCX and Sanjuro and haven't heard back but would the 12 of us be interested in a fantasy draft round robin league? We don't have to do a fantasy draft but if we did I think it'd take 2 hours or so...I think we have to take 40, but we can just take 25 and then sim the rest, so that's 300 total picks so if each pick is 30 seconds it would be no longer than 2.5 hours.....okay this is already sounding like a bad idea lol

If we have people who are willing to sit down for a draft I'm happy to do that. Hell we could probably pick 15 core guys and if you want to be done with it then be done.

Right now I've got 11 people who seem interested but I can only have an even number league. So either someone needs to flake or we need someone back!

Me
Drizzler
Crimson
V1lla
Ecnal
FMT
Jonsson
Bob
PistolPete
Dmncnby
DCX

This is the list of yes so far

You know what, I'm adding Rob. Going to make league today!

DietRob

You know what, I'm adding Rob. Going to make league today!

I'm honored to join league volume 2. A couple of days ago something happened to my wired connection to the basement. My PS4 has been offline for a few days. I'm leaving for Chicago tomorrow night and I'll be back July 6th. I'll try to get my wired connection sorted out then. Is that too late?

DietRob

Phee if you want to give my spot away it Ok. I'll just rejoin whenever somebody inevitably drops out. I don't want to hold you guys up from starting today.

Alright it looks like PistolPete will have to sit out this round (Hopefully this is not the only year) and we will add Acheron who I know is just as good a league member!

I'm making the league now. So it says I have to set a draft time upon activation (which means we can set it whenever) I made it 30 seconds per pick but I can make it 10 or 20. 10 seems too short. I'd do 20 if others were down

for now I loaded the weekly roster since it seems like the OS ones aren't new or something

Drizzler
Crimson
V1lla
Ecnal
FMT
Jonsson
Bob
Acheron_Xl
Dmncnby
DCX
WhatRobEats

I've sent an invite out to the 11 of you. Try to join ASAP...I'm gonna send the notification via PSN as well

So we can do this fantasy draft whenever we want...but I understand it will be difficult to get all of us lined up at once. Quite frankly I would be content with just simming the damn thing for everyone. We got 12 teams, we're gonna have good rosters regardless lol. Only issue I see is that the CPU may do a dumbass draft and take two elite 2nd basemen for someone

SMFH ignore the first invite. I'm about to leave this league to make another, so by the time you all try to join one of them should be non-existent...if you happen to join one that I am not in, then take the other.

Had to remake cause I set the draft time to "24 hours after activation" but when I go back and try to change it to 5 minutes or whatever, it won't let me.

Okay so after I click activate it takes about 2 minutes to activate, then it starts the timer.

We can add players to a queue...and I can turn on "auto draft". I'll watch a few picks go by before I find out what this is. Also I can't control draft order and it is snake.

for people who aren't there the CPU takes usually 2-3 seconds to pick

New invites will be sent soon

Alright so here is what I have learned about fantasy drafts and this is a TL;DR version of the previous 3 posts. So...

-I don't know what happens if we have a human signed in but isn't at the draft. I can't tell if the timer will use up all 30 seconds or if the game can tell they're not signed in, and will make it less than 3. I tried something would leave right before my pick, time it so that I came back with about 10-15 seconds left, but it would reset the timer back to 30 when I signed back in. But if I tried to leave and come back on that same pick then it would time it correctly.

-Unfortunately while we "browse players" for our next selection you can't see who gets taken---and the game doesn't update it real time. So before you go select a player you have to see who gets taken first before browsing the list. This might delay things slightly...but if you have a queue ready while others are picking and a backup plan while it's going on, it shouldn't take long.

-Unfortunately "Autodraft" doesn't mean we can sim to the end. It means you just let the CPU draft for you while you're gone...and even then it doesn't cut the timer shorter. So essentially you can pick your core guys and if you don't give a fuck about your bench/relief/minor league squad we can pick our 15-20 guys and then leave, but the league still won't be able to start for minimum 4 hours after we start the draft.

-I still don't know how many players are taken total, that's gonna take some time.

-I think we should set the timer to 20 seconds. Basically if we have 2-3 players that we want in mind while someone is selecting it shouldn't be an issue. The only problem might be having to scroll too fast to get to the proper page to get the guy you want. So I would suggest queueing guys while everyone else drafts. It's not bad though, you use L1/R1 to switch positions, and then R2 to view players of that position. There's 14 pages of SP, 17 for RP, 3 for CP, and then 4-6 for the position players...but I highly doubt we'll have people pining to get to the bottom of the list at each position.

-And no I can't pause the draft. Fucking stupid.

-I've made it so that you can play up to 3 future series. Series are 1 games and we play each person twice. Advance is manual flex

How does Saturday daytime sound? Seems like that's a time when most can be around...

Otherwise Wednesday and Friday work for me too.

Or we could all just play the lottery and play with whatever team that gets drafted us, lol. But I guess that'd take some of the fun out.

If only could I pause :-(

Also for now I took the Rangers so you can have the Marlins, Drizzler. I'm just going to take whatever team is left over and whatever ball park I would like to play at.

Top Bottom