• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos said:
Bah, nevermind. I can't read today. Still, I think you're a bit inaccurate in labeling him as a mediocre lyricist at best.

I'm going to qualify what I said slightly....in comparison to most of the other alt-rock/"grunge" (how I loathe that word and the way it's become a lazy catch-all for all early 90s heavy guitar bands!) bands who emerged in the early 90s, he's streets ahead of the majority when it comes to writing lyrics. Outside that field, however, I don't think they hold up so well. So taken alongside his peers, he's a good lyricist.

i guess there is a method to writing lyrics and you can technically be a "bad" lyricist (though everyone has their opinions), but sometimes people pimp dudes like bob dylan for his lyrics and i just don't get it. why is bob dylan considered a good lyricist? it's because everyone has their own opinion and some people connect with his words.

Mike Works said:
so i have a handful of SP songs on my ipod:

Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Zero
Tonight, Tonight
Ava Adore

and i like them all (in that order)
Diablos said:
96.5 The Buzz (Kansas City) is going to play Tarantula on Monday morning. There's an mp3 of the dj talking about it, he says "it is in your face, it kinda reminds me of Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings."
:D

puck1337

Diablos said:
96.5 The Buzz (Kansas City) is going to play Tarantula on Monday morning.

There's an mp3 of the dj talking about it, he says "it is in your face, it kinda reminds me of Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings." :D Later he compared it to Bodies as well.

http://download.yousendit.com/FA749EF66136C701
I really liked the cyber metal songs that Billy wrote. White Spyder, Heavy Metal Machine, Zero, Bodies, etc. really kicked serious ass. Sounds promising.

Diablos

Heavy Metal Machine sucks on Machina, but is balls to the wall in your face rockin' if you hear it as played during their United Center show in 2000. It's great.

puck1337

Diablos said:
Heavy Metal Machine sucks on Machina, but is balls to the wall in your face rockin' if you hear it as played during their United Center show in 2000. It's great.
I don't mind the Machina version. The FaEoMM and MII versions are much better, and the live performances from the farewell tour were perfect. Incredibly heavy, but still melodic. The show I saw on that tour felt like they were kind of going through the motions, until they started into HMM. That was the point when I realized that they probably shouldn't be shutting it down.

I love the United Center show. I hope that you have a high quality copy of it. If not, you owe it to yourself to grab something lossless. I managed to snag one via the alt.music.smash-pumpkins CD tree back in early 2001. It has seen a lot of use since then. IMO, it's one of their flawless shows, along with their Adore tour's Boston gig and the GM Place show from 1997.

Diablos

Oh shi-- Ethel on XM apparently just played Tarantula.

Who has XM? How can I check most recent songs played?

edit: They didn't, someone was just being an ass.

Diablos

puck: Yeah, I have it in mp3 format. It's FM-sourced, so it's super compressed anyway.
There are two of them, though. One doesn't sound quite as good and is not complete. I recently found another one.

puck1337

Diablos said:
puck: Yeah, I have it in mp3 format. It's FM-sourced, so it's super compressed anyway.
There are two of them, though. One doesn't sound quite as good and is not complete. I recently found another one.
Keep an eye on alt.music.smash-pumpkins and obviously Netphoria's forums. I can see the bootleg trading getting restarted once the tours begin....

Diablos

It never really died completely. SP shows are downloaded all the time. There are going to be so many new bootlegs in circulation by the end of the year.

Zave

Diablos said:
96.5 The Buzz (Kansas City) is going to play Tarantula on Monday morning.

There's an mp3 of the dj talking about it, he says "it is in your face, it kinda reminds me of Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings." :D Later he compared it to Bodies as well.

http://download.yousendit.com/FA749EF66136C701
Holy shit, I just can't wait anymore. Just play the damn thing! Also: stop comparing Tarantula to some of the best songs ever wrote by Smashing Pumpkins, it rockets my expectations sky high! Have to keep my faith in Mr. Lampadina... (BC)

Zave

As usual, this come from Netphoria messageboards.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=140017

"So…with all the drama of those other kids stealing shit back at the Music Garage, I have been hesitant posting this, especially after someone posted a clip of a rehearsal because I was the only person there-besides band workers/security. I want to let everyone know, I had nothing to do with that clip, however, I can say that what you heard sounded legit to me, as I was at the congress on Tuesday night. I went over as soon as I saw the post on here that said something about a secret show at the Congress, I said “**** it, ill see if anything is going on”…and to my surprise, there wasJ. When I got back, I wrote this email to Davin, after that we talked on the phone for a bit. After several people encouraging me to post, I decided that I feel comfortable with posting now. Hope you all enjoy. I am posting this for you all to know that the Pumpkins are back! I did not see anything, only heard. I was standing on in the alley to the right of the front of the building, near the loading dock. As far as lineup, it sounded like Billy, Jimmy, guitar player, bass player, and they had a live person on Keys, (It was not a back recording because in between songs whoever was playing was playing around.)

I went to the Congress tonight, i stood outside the back for about an hour and a half (i was the only fan there). they are playing there, it was amazing. i heard about 5 new songs. When i walked up, i started to her something and i shit my pants, i was like "no way this is them" and i listened and it was "To Shiela"...i dont remember the exact order, but they played Cherub Rock, Tonight Tonight, Zero, Untitled (which did sound great live), Muzzle, Disarm (which Billy butchered vocally, it was just him, the guitar, and keys(strings). the last song i heard was Silver****, which they did a crazy ****ing ending to the song. The new songs i heard sounds like classic pumpkins tunes. most were very heavy, i would say the sound is closer to siamese dream/mellon collie than anything on Machina. The band sounded tight, and to be honest, it doesnt matter who the other two people were. One song sounded extremely heavy, Billy was screaming (which honestly It sounded more like a shriek). i heard the song with the organ, its slower tempo'd. I couldnt really understand lyrics, but i remember something like "I need you, but you dont need me" So good, made me melt. Anyway, i secured my place by knocking on a neighbors door and asking if i could stand in their back yard in case security bothered me. While i was sitting out there, i talked to alot of security guards, who werent helpful, and didnt say anything. Then i saw Gooch walk up. He kept on looking at me, because i was laying/sitting down in this yard. He probably thought i was weird, as did everyone else who was at the back, but i said "arent you gooch?" he said "yeah"...i said "youre the pumpkins manager". he asked my name, so i told him. I said i was of no harm, just listening. He said as long as I wasn’t recording anything, that he was fine with me being out there. He walked over to me, and we talked for a bit. He asked if i heard what happened this past weekend, i told him yes. he said those kids were in jail, and he said everyone thinks they are dicks for arresting them, but they did wrong, and they broke into their place and stole. I told him i totally agreed. I asked if they pumpkins were playing here before paris, he told me no, and i said "its a little weird them coming back here before paris, since they recorded in LA"...he said they wanted to come home. he said Billy hadnt been home in a year, and wanted to spend some time here. I asked, When are they gonna announce who the other 2 are in the band, he told me he didn’t know, but that it didnt matter, because its the pumpkins. I agreed, i said it sounded like the pumpkins to me. he said they were hesitant on releasing the names because everyone would google the people, and then say "the new pumpkins album is gonna sound like this, or that"...so they have just said nothing. He said that the new people played amazingly, and the fans wouldnt be disappointed. I know i certaintly wasnt. I told him how good it is to hear the old tunes, he said "Yeah I know, it is for me too, its been a long time". He was so nice! anyway, this was one of the best nights of my life. I cannot wait for the tour, and honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up playing a show at the congress. Fans will not be disappointed, and the new material is great. I was hoping i could tell which one was tarantula. oh well. I was going to stay later, but they quit and i was getting tired. i figured i had stayed my course. im trying to think if i hear anything else. nothing off machina."

Nick said:
So what is the probability that Pumpkin fans are going to actually like this album?

Everything I've seen in this thread gives me hope that it'll be better than anything released after MellonCollie. Aside from about half a dozen songs, the post-1995 Pumpkins suck ass.

Luna104

siamesedreamer said:
Everything I've seen in this thread gives me hope that it'll be better than anything released after MellonCollie. Aside from about half a dozen songs, the post-1995 Pumpkins suck ass.

I beg to differ. I liked most of Adore and even Machina I (I love the thick, layered sound...others might call it overproduced) & II which contained awesome material that deserved better than a mere internet-only release.

But frankly, I hope Zeitgeist sounds like MCIS.

zietgeist adopts (dont run just yet) the zwan loud-at-any-volume production but utilizes it in a way that blows your head off. and billys voice is altered to where it sounds kind of "angel-like" if you will. its pretty much an ax symphony

nah but its good. i was first kind of ambivalent about a RETURN 2 RAWK!! endeavour because i thought billy was artistically past for that and going back to hard rock would be regressive (i was one of the three people that liked his post 1995 work) but theres a method to the madness. without sounding corny i feel like this album really will define the times. its captures the feeling perfectly

Machina was better than Adore by a far margin.

Machina II was the definition of garbage.

I'd probably rank them like this:

1) SD
2) MC
3) The B sides CD
4) Gish
5) Machina
6) Adore
7) Machina II

Zave

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i dont have a copy. was very very very lucky enough to hear some of it

but uh it should leak very soon if somebody like me was able to
While keeping my finger crossed for a soon as possibile leak, I've been able to stumble upon a ticket for the Paris show. Well, ahum, now I'm melting down.

Diablos

Tyrone Slothrop said:
zietgeist adopts (dont run just yet) the zwan loud-at-any-volume production but utilizes it in a way that blows your head off. and billys voice is altered to where it sounds kind of "angel-like" if you will. its pretty much an ax symphony
omg

You need to go register at Netphoria and share this info.

So by "loud at any volume" do you mean clipping? Because Mary Star of the Sea had (intentional) clipping all over the ****ing place.

Luna104

I hated MSOTS.

Machina II was the definition of garbage.

I'd probably rank them like this:

1) SD
2) MC
3) The B sides CD
4) Gish
5) Machina
6) Adore
7) Machina II

Machina II is awesome, man. Atom Bomb, If There Is A God, In My Body, Home, Innosense, Let Me Give The World To You, Go, Try version 1, Satur9 and Vanity are great songs.

I guess for me Machina = Adore, but MCIS is my favourite. It's lightyears ahead of Siamese Dream, which IMHO is a classic album but slightly overrated by many Pumpkins fans.

*runs*

Macam

Banned
Luna104 said:
Machina II is awesome, man. Atom Bomb, If There Is A God, In My Body, Home, Innosense, Let Me Give The World To You, Go, Try version 1, Satur9 and Vanity are great songs.

I guess for me Machina = Adore, but MCIS is my favourite. It's lightyears ahead of Siamese Dream, which IMHO is a classic album but slightly overrated by many Pumpkins fans.

*runs*

I don't find it particularly disputable that SD is slightly overrated, but it was the quintessential SP album that put them on the map. You take it for what it is and enjoy it, but it my favorite SP albums are the one where you get to see a better picture of their range and MCIS is where it's in full force (throw in the B-sides, and MCIS becomes ten times the album than it is without them). I wish Machina II had that same sort of fleshed out cohesion to it, but it was more of just a toss up of some B-sides they wanted to get out. Regardless, I fully expect SP fans to be somewhat disappointed with Zeitgeist and bemoan the lack of a full blown rock out album, even though I don't think SP's ever put one out.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
machina II was better than machina, thats for sure. and the new album will probably be garbage im thinking. corgan's washed up. the solo work was bullshit.

siamesedreamer said:

whatgp6.gif

Diablos

tsp_gatmog said:
yo i just heard this shit on xm radio. blows. sounds like a zwan b-side. pumpkins are dead. billy, ego, etc..
Someone pulled this prank on Netphoria two days ago, nice try.

It was probably you :lol

Diablos

I'll be working tomorrow morning; it's not like I can just sit by the PC and capture it.

However, I expect it to be posted no longer than 10 minutes after it's played for the first time. Seriously. Just browse Netphoria tomorrow morning if you have nothing else better to do, because it'll be there before anywhere else.

Diablos

Ohh... I see.

I forgot to post this. The clip apparently is real. It's long but really interesting:

So…with all the drama of those other kids stealing shit back at the Music Garage, I have been hesitant posting this, especially after someone posted a clip of a rehearsal because I was the only person there-besides band workers/security. I want to let everyone know, I had nothing to do with that clip, however, I can say that what you heard sounded legit to me, as I was at the congress on Tuesday night. I went over as soon as I saw the post on here that said something about a secret show at the Congress, I said “**** it, ill see if anything is going on”…and to my surprise, there was.

When I got back, I wrote this email to Davin, after that we talked on the phone for a bit. After several people encouraging me to post, I decided that I feel comfortable with posting now. Hope you all enjoy. I am posting this for you all to know that the Pumpkins are back! I did not see anything, only heard. I was standing on in the alley to the right of the front of the building, near the loading dock. As far as lineup, it sounded like Billy, Jimmy, guitar player, bass player, and they had a live person on Keys, (It was not a back recording because in between songs whoever was playing was playing around.)

I went to the Congress tonight, i stood outside the back for about an hour and a half (i was the only fan there). they are playing there, it was amazing. i heard about 5 new songs. When i walked up, i started to her something and i shit my pants, i was like "no way this is them" and i listened and it was "To Shiela"...i dont remember the exact order, but they played Cherub Rock, Tonight Tonight, Zero, Untitled (which did sound great live), Muzzle, Disarm (which Billy butchered vocally, it was just him, the guitar, and keys(strings). the last song i heard was Silver****, which they did a crazy ****ing ending to the song. The new songs i heard sounds like classic pumpkins tunes. most were very heavy, i would say the sound is closer to siamese dream/mellon collie than anything on Machina. The band sounded tight, and to be honest, it doesnt matter who the other two people were. One song sounded extremely heavy, Billy was screaming (which honestly It sounded more like a shriek). i heard the song with the organ, its slower tempo'd. I couldnt really understand lyrics, but i remember something like "I need you, but you dont need me" So good, made me melt.

Anyway, i secured my place by knocking on a neighbors door and asking if i could stand in their back yard in case security bothered me. While i was sitting out there, i talked to alot of security guards, who werent helpful, and didnt say anything. Then i saw Gooch walk up. He kept on looking at me, because i was laying/sitting down in this yard. He probably thought i was weird, as did everyone else who was at the back, but i said "arent you gooch?" he said "yeah"...i said "youre the pumpkins manager". he asked my name, so i told him. I said i was of no harm, just listening. He said as long as I wasn’t recording anything, that he was fine with me being out there. He walked over to me, and we talked for a bit. He asked if i heard what happened this past weekend, i told him yes. he said those kids were in jail, and he said everyone thinks they are dicks for arresting them, but they did wrong, and they broke into their place and stole. I told him i totally agreed.

I asked if they pumpkins were playing here before paris, he told me no, and i said "its a little weird them coming back here before paris, since they recorded in LA"...he said they wanted to come home. he said Billy hadnt been home in a year, and wanted to spend some time here. I asked, When are they gonna announce who the other 2 are in the band, he told me he didn’t know, but that it didnt matter, because its the pumpkins. I agreed, i said it sounded like the pumpkins to me. he said they were hesitant on releasing the names because everyone would google the people, and then say "the new pumpkins album is gonna sound like this, or that"...so they have just said nothing.

He said that the new people played amazingly, and the fans wouldnt be disappointed. I know i certaintly wasnt. I told him how good it is to hear the old tunes, he said "Yeah I know, it is for me too, its been a long time". He was so nice! anyway, this was one of the best nights of my life. I cannot wait for the tour, and honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up playing a show at the congress.

Fans will not be disappointed, and the new material is great. I was hoping i could tell which one was tarantula. oh well. I was going to stay later, but they quit and i was getting tired. i figured i had stayed my course. im trying to think if i hear anything else. nothing off machina.

Zave

Smashing Pumpkins To Do 9-show N.C. Residency, 8-shows in San Fran
Fred Mills

May 14, 2007

Now here’s a news item you don’t read every day from any band: in a nigh-on unprecedented move not witnessed except in the jamband milieu, the Smashing Pumpkins have just announced two sets of residency gigs: nine slated for the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC (June 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30 and July 2, 3, and 5) plus eight at the Fillmore in San Francisco (July 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30 and 31 and August 1).

The residencies will bookend the July 10 release of the new Pumpkins album Zeitgeist.

Acccording to band management, these “very special and intimate residencies, the band will vary set lists from night to night. They'll perform songs from Zeitgeist Pumpkins classics plus retool songs that didn't make it onto Zeitgeist and even offer tunes written the day of the show. The shows will give fans a unique opportunity to see the Pumpkins inside the process of creation and operating in the spur of the moment.”

The eight concerts in San Francisco mark the first time the band has returned to The Fillmore since April of 1994 when they were invited to be the band to re-open the historic venue. The Asheville shows mark the first time the Pumpkins will have played a residency since their four gigs at the Double Door in Chicago in 1994.

And in a neat move to pre-empt the inevitable bootleggers, the band is actively encouring fans to bring audio and video gear to record the shows in Asheville and San Fran.

Here’s the rest of the important stuff—note the admirable anti-scalping measures being instituted. Not that that won’t prevent eBay from going into overdrive shortly after the on-sale… caveat emptor.

General admission tickets for these all-ages shows go on sale Sunday, May 20.

The San Francisco tickets ($25.00 each) and will be available at 10:00 AM Pacific via www.ticketmaster.com and www.livenation.com.

For the Asheville show, tickets ($20.00 each) will go on sale at 1:00 PM Eastern at www.theorangepeel.net or www.ticketweb.com.

Tickets for both shows will be available through internet ONLY.

Tickets will NOT be available at either box offices, charge-by-phone or ticket outlets. Two-ticket limit per person. Purchaser must pick up tickets at the box office night-of-show only. Ticket-holders must immediately enter the venue. Photo ID required for ticket pick-up. Tickets are non-transferable. No refunds or exchanges. A service charge is added to each ticket price.

Sounds as though Billy is currently being influenced by My Chemical Romance & Green Day if that brief clip is anything to go by (and if, as many have suspected, he's going primarily for commercial success above artistic expression by reviving the Pumpkins brand that would make sense). But of course, it can't all be judged on the chorus of a solitary song, even if said chorus - from drab music to comedy lyrics - does render 'Tarantula' an unavoidable dud. I'll just say that if that's the gist of the entire album, my fears have been realised, which I hope doesn't end up being the case!

Top Bottom