• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Bebpo

Banned
Is that all their playing on the radio today, or will they actually be playing the full song? Haven't listened to the clip and would rather just wait and listen to the song as a whole if it's still coming.

TheDrowningMan said:
Sounds as though Billy is currently being influenced by My Chemical Romance & Green Day if that brief clip is anything to go by (and if, as many have suspected, he's going primarily for commercial success above artistic expression by reviving the Pumpkins brand that would make sense). But of course, it can't all be judged on the chorus of a solitary song, even if said chorus - from drab music to comedy lyrics - does render 'Tarantula' an unavoidable dud. I'll just say that if that's the gist of the entire album, my fears have been realised, which I hope doesn't end up being the case!

That's quite a bit to take from 30 seconds.

Certainly intriguing.....

Is Turantula supposed to be the "best" song on the album? Or just the first single?

If its just the first single then I could care less because Bullet was one of the weaker songs on MC.

siamesedreamer said:
Certainly intriguing.....

Is Turantula supposed to be the "best" song on the album? Or just the first single?

If its just the first single then I could care less because Bullet was one of the weaker songs on MC.

Just the first single.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm just jumping into this thread now, but have they announced yet who they plan on having open for their Summer/Fall tour?

Rumor for a while was that they were going to have MUTE MATH open.

Okay, having listened to the clip more....I can't speak for the whole song of course, but I can say that of all of the Pumpkins 'poppier' songs this one's chorus is utterly limp, derivative plop in comparison to all of them. It's cringeworthy.

Diablos

The dj said the rest of the song is more like bwbw/zero.

Of course he also said it's like Green Day's "Holiday" - what the **** is he on, it doesn't sound like Green Day at all.

I like what I've heard, but it's not enough; 30 seconds is torture! I wanna hear the whole thing.

And yes, TheDrowningMan, that's way too much to assume based on a 30 second clip.

two sets of residency gigs: nine slated for the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC (June 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30 and July 2, 3, and 5)

WTF? Anyway, I live about an hour from Asheville and go to the Orange Peel every 3 months so I'll see the show on the 26th.

edit: The Orange Peel is pretty damn small. There's maybe room for a couple thousand people.

Diablos

Also, about the lyrics: If they're cringeworthy, then what makes "today is the greatest day I've ever known" so much better? Or "she's not sorry, she's happy as a turtle"? :p

I will say that this song is definitely *not* "crushing you into dust with metal" or whatever, and that in itself is somewhat disappointing. It's pretty poppy, but there does seem to be some intense guitar layering. That said, I don't get the impression that this song is hard. At all. Of course, Billy has meshed different sounds together in a song (for example: Age of Innocence), and 30 seconds isn't enough time to let yourself draw any more conclusions without sounding like a complete moron (see: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=140104&page=1).

This could very well be the song that allows them to be radio friendly, creating new fans, which will in turn allow them to listen to the rest of the album -- which is pretty intense based on everything we've read so far.

I'd really like to hear the rest of this song. We were going to hear it tomorrow, but noooo, they had to push it back a week! Meh.

And I'm still not hearing the My Chemical Romance and Green Day influence. I think too many Pumpkinheads out there are both a. bitter and b. paranoid. It sounds like a poppy Billy Corgan song with Siamese/MCIS-like guitar layering.

puck1337

So, I kind of wish that I hadn't listened to that clip, because it's inevitably much worse than the full song. Or that's what I'm hoping.

Anyway, the residency thing is pretty cool. I'm especially excited that they're encouraging recording, since that'll help the chances of some high quality bootlegs getting into circulation.

terrene

Banned
Just sounds like Zwan to me. Not into it. The corny ripoff of Black Sabbath's "Children of the Grave" = DO NOT WANT. And Billy's voice has always sounded awful going through autotune.

Diablos

terrene said:
Just sounds like Zwan to me. Not into it. The corny Black Sabbath aping = DO NOT WANT.
At least you're intelligent enough to realize this sounds nothing like MCR and Green Day.
But yeah, this song doesn't have me jumping for joy. I am still really really wanting to hear the rest of it, and of course, the whole album...

terrene

Banned
Diablos said:
At least you're intelligent enough to realize this sounds nothing like MCR and Green Day.
But yeah, this song doesn't have me jumping for joy. I am still really really wanting to hear the rest of it, and of course, the whole album...
The Green Day thing is a pretty facile observation. It has the same beat as "Longview." Wooow. I don't think people realize how old Billy is and where his influences really lie.

Diablos

Yeah, DJ's and bedroom critics alike are in desperate need of finding something to compare it to so they sound smart.

Listening to it more, and I think that the main problem I have with this clip is the absolutely terrible drum beat. It makes it sound like any number of boring, uninspired, no mark rock-hopefuls (or Green Day). I don't expect particularly fantastic lyrics from Billy Corgan, so they're not so much of an issue, really.

As for the drumming, that's where the Green Day thing is coming from, it just sounds naff as ****. It's horrible. You take that out and put something half-decent in its place and it's immediately a lot better. But that this sounds this way might not actually be such a bad sign overall, because I really doubt there's anyway that you could possibly get an entire album of Jimmy Chamberlin drumming in an uninspired manner. That would be completely unprecedented.

Diablos

The only bad moment Chamberlin has ever had in his career is Last Hard Men. That band was ****ing awful, and seriously, Chamberlin's dumming was so generic that you wouldn't have known it was him if you didn't know what you were listening to.

As for lyrics, while what we've heard so far overall is nothing to go crazy over, I expect some great lyrics from this record.

Played the same clip here in ATL on 99X radio station for a "listen to the new single soon" teaser.

Sounds better on the radio than that clip on the cpu. Very drummy. Sounds like an extension of a Machina/MellonCollie hybrid.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't decipher anything from 30 secs of a song. So that's all we're getting today? Lame. DJ should've put up or shut up with the full song.

Hope we get the full song in the next few weeks.

Diablos

siamesedreamer: It's true... the clip is so compressed. It's sourced from real audio. Why FMQB still uses this worthless format is beyond me.

Yeah, I don't know anything about the different listing options. I figured that if I don't have it on my new laptop, then it prolly isn't very good.

Anyway, I'm definately more excited now because it seems as hard as advertised. And I like how they are trying to bring the brand back......

Diablos

siamesedreamer said:
Yeah, I don't know anything about the different listing options. I figured that if I don't have it on my new laptop, then it prolly isn't very good.

Anyway, I'm definately more excited now because it seems as hard as advertised. And I like how they are trying to bring the brand back......
haha, dude, I'm listening to it on a home stereo; ~80W per channel. It still sounds like ass.

**** Real Media, it should be banned from the Internet!

Zilch

Banned
Luna104 said:
despite all my rage
I am still just a rat in a cage

The clip is decent, although the drumming sounds kind of weird to me as if it's supposed to be a punk song.

Are you posting those lyrics to help prove my point? I'm gonna assume so.

Foob

distantmantra said:
I've had The End on in my office all day in the hopes that they'll play it... why do I torture myself so?

I miss NPR and KEXP.

You know you can stream KEXP, right?

terrene

Banned
One tiny piece of news is that according to MTV.com, the full title of "That's the Way" is "That's the Way (My Love Is)." Better, I guess -- Corganishly cloying, but better. (http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/smashing_pumpkins/albums.jhtml?albumId=1525393)

Also, laughed at this tracklist for the latest Pumpkins tribute CD:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1558587/20070502/smashing_pumpkins.jhtml
· Panic! at the Disco: "Tonight, Tonight"
· (+44): "I Am One"
· The Academy Is ... : "Mayonaise"
· Deftones: "Siva"
· 30 Seconds to Mars: (track TBD)
· The Bravery: "Rocket"
· Young Love: "1979"
· The New Amsterdams: "Thirty-Three"
· Test Your Reflex: "Ava Adore"
· Ben Kweller: "Today"
· Hawthorne Heights: "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
· Gliss: "Rhinoceros"

Foob

distantmantra said:
Yeah, I can also listen to it on my radio, I was just saying how much I dislike the music KNDD plays.

Ah, right. Yeah, I used to listen just for DJ No Name, but I couldn't take it after a while.

terrene

Banned
For shits and giggles, I tried pulling some strings at KEXP to get them to play it but they were wise.

"dj@kexp.org" to me
show details 1:25 pm (0 minutes ago)

i'm not sure if it's out yet. i got an email the other day with a snippet
of one track. not even the entire track. i did not have time to listen yet
but i think that means it's not out. i'll see if i can find that email.

terrene said:
For shits and giggles, I tried pulling some strings at KEXP to get them to play it but they were wise.

I think I've only heard SP on KEXP twice. Rhinoceros once and Drown once. It seemed out of place both times.

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:
I think I've only heard SP on KEXP twice. Rhinoceros once and Drown once. It seemed out of place both times.
John and Cheryl play them plenty! Cheryl, who I've met a few times and helped us set up our on-the-air set, is DJing now so I thought I'd give it a shot. She sent me the press release where you can login to download the officially-released clip from plaympe.com, but she didn't have her account password.

I remember hearing Bury Me and Siva. It seems like Seattlites are too pretentious to accept any album besides Gish. I know it was indie-released and at that time they had the Sub Pop seal of approval, putting out the 7" and all, but c'mon. Siamese Dream deserves its respect - it's clearly their defining album. It's like only playing Ramones and pretending Rocket to Russia doesn't exist.

Diablos

terrene said:
One tiny piece of news is that according to MTV.com, the full title of "That's the Way" is "That's the Way (My Love Is)." Better, I guess -- Corganishly cloying, but better. (http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/smashing_pumpkins/albums.jhtml?albumId=1525393)

Also, laughed at this tracklist for the latest Pumpkins tribute CD:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1558587/20070502/smashing_pumpkins.jhtml
· Panic! at the Disco: "Tonight, Tonight"
· (+44): "I Am One"
· The Academy Is ... : "Mayonaise"
· Deftones: "Siva"
· 30 Seconds to Mars: (track TBD)
· The Bravery: "Rocket"
· Young Love: "1979"
· The New Amsterdams: "Thirty-Three"
· Test Your Reflex: "Ava Adore"
· Ben Kweller: "Today"
· Hawthorne Heights: "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
· Gliss: "Rhinoceros"
What the ****?

Deftones' Siva is the only track I have interest in. Then again, Deftones suck at covering SP (see: live version of TAFH that they butchered).

I like the SP picture at MTV.com. It's Billy, James, and Darcy. :lol

The actual correct tracklisting was first listed at amazon.com.

Diablos said:

zeitcover.png

Global warming subject confirmed. :/

Well, at least he can't touch all of my old SP albums.

edit: The type of the cover just seems so sloppy to me. I'm not sure what they were going for, but I don't think it worked.

edit2: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003585592
The Smashing Pumpkins have enlisted artist Shepard Fairey to create the artwork for their first album in seven years, "Zeitgeist," due July 10 via Martha's Music/Reprise. Billboard.com can exclusively reveal the red-dominated cover image, which depicts the Statue of Liberty drowning. The typeface mirrors that used on the Pumpkins' debut single, 1990's "I Am One" b/w "Tristessa."

"I think global warming is an issue that is currently relevant, time sensitive, and a symptom of the shortsightedness of the U.S.," Fairey says. "As a broader metaphor, the drowning Statue of Liberty, a revered icon of the U.S., symbolizes the eminent demise of many of the ideals upon which the nation was founded. Civil liberties, freedom of speech, privacy, etc. have been decreasing since 9/11. The sun in the image could either be setting or rising and this ambiguity shows that there is still hope to turn things around."

Top Bottom