• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Onix said:
I'm simply saying, until we get more information ... making gross assumptions on what happened is pretty silly.

If you want to pretend reading between the lines always gets you an accurate picture of things though, be my guest
"I won't pretend I'm into something I'm not" and "cashing the check" (aka MAILING IT IN or COMPLETELY SELLING OUT or NOT CARING ABOUT THE MUSIC ANYMORE).

"I won't pretend I'm into something I'm not" and "cashing the check" (aka MAILING IT IN or COMPLETELY SELLING OUT or NOT CARING ABOUT THE MUSIC ANYMORE).

diablos is right, you dont even need to read between the lines. it's right there in your face: it's not about cashing a check.

i dont know, i'll try to look at the sliver lining in this. maybe some new blood can be a good thing and lead the band in a different direction.

billy is a great musician and i will give him the benefit of the doubt in most circumstances. but he has just been off his fucking rocker lately. the bullshit 20th anniversary shows (hey, we're celebrating our 20th anniversary.... lets play half the show with classics and the other half with new songs no one knows and 20 minute jam sessions no one wants to hear!), the double talk on selling his songs for commercials, saying that the fans can put their hopes of hearing old songs at upcoming shows to bed....

its like billy corgan has lost his fucking mind or there is an imposter in his body. i am reminded of that simpsons episode where homer tries to be a hippie and sees himself in that mural as a child and child homer just goes to town on old homer.

billy: bu bu bu bu but the pancho!

Raistlin

Diablos said:

That's a bit ambiguous to me ... it could really just mean he doesn't like the direction Billy is taking them in.

Even if you're correct, what does that have to do with the stream-of-consciousness BC rant I quoted? In it, your main point is you're assuming Billy's antics or control issues or whatever is what drove him out.

I'm not seeing anything in the blog to indicate that. Not even some ambiguous stuff. That's why I asked you what the hell are you talking about?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Diablos said:
In November or so, as I said, Jimmy was dedicated to the band for life. Now he bails, and barely wishs Billy well, and only says it is "his right" to carry on the band name. Wow, that's great. It's your right to say whatever you want, Onix, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like you. :D Read between the lines dude, he's just trying to be civil about this and not crying like Billy has over the past few months.

Come on.

Key indicators that Jimmy just indirectly told Billy to fuck off:

I mean, if Jimmy's heart isn't in the direction of the music, that's a terrible thing. The next phase of the Pumpkins is going to be an absolute trainwreck.

Hopefully Jeff and Ginger are laughing all the way to the bank, I feel bad for them having to put up with all of this bullshit drama.
Diablos, BC is a great guitar player and I know it sucks to have your favorite bad go down the tubes, but they've progressively gotten worse starting with Mellon Collie. It became obvious at that point that Billy sold out and the band went downhill from there. They never recovered. As someone who really loved their first three almums, they've been a trainwreck for a long time. I know it sucks, but there are other bands out there. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for BC.

birdman

MadOdorMachine said:
Diablos, BC is a great guitar player and I know it sucks to have your favorite bad go down the tubes, but they've progressively gotten worse starting with Mellon Collie. It became obvious at that point that Billy sold out and the band went downhill from there. They never recovered. As someone who really loved their first three almums, they've been a trainwreck for a long time. I know it sucks, but there are other bands out there. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for BC.

What? Mellon Collie wasn't when it got bad, that title is meant for Adore.

JCC isnt that good.

I'm with Billy, let the man get paid. Today saved his life one day. Now selling it out is gonna save his life in a whole other way.

Cha-ching, bitches!

i liked adore and still like it to this day.

machina i don't like much. there are some standouts, but the record just didn't sit right with me. machina II was good and i liked zeitgeist. i agree that the band isn't what it once was, but that's basically every older band.

the question isn't whether the pumpkins were making better music than before, but rather were they still making music i enjoyed. and the answer was yes. a lot of the residency songs were excellent and they were still producing quality material (not better material than MCIS or SD or gish or whatever).

what will they be without jimmy? i don't know, and i dont want to know!!

Voltron64

Maybe Jimmy finally got fed up of stuff like this...

n3os3b.jpg

Diablos

MadOdorMachine said:
Nah, some of their best work was after Mellon Collie. Shit, Gossamer is as good as any epic song they've performed. You're delusional if you think otherwise. :p

It really wasn't a trainwreck until roughly three or four months ago.

i really don't mean to keep being the BC defense force, but i got more thoughts on why this isn't such a bad thing.

first off, nobody can say definitively why jimmy left but now he spoke out i'm like 99% sure he simply wanted to focus his energies on a smaller project. it's really as simple as that. JCC has prolly been kicking around in his head for awhile and he decided he'd rather work on that than take on the strenous task of recording and touring with the big band that is SP

one thing i think the fans are neglecting in their outrage is, this is JIMMY CHAMBERLAIN we're talking about here. do you really think he'll stay away from billy for long? no, this is just a hiatus. i can in no way substantiate this as a fact, but this isn't like jimmy's riding off into the sunset and the the credits roll. he'll be back. it's just a matter of when

when SP "reunited" it was clear billy had a lot of ambitions for the band's future, for better or worse. so should he just halt his plans simply because jimmy wants to work on his own band for awhile? IMO that'd be stupid. better to do it now than have SP off the map for another 2-5 years.

who knows, the next album (or EP collection) could be amazing. and in that case it won't matter who's in the band. it's the music that's most important, not who's playing.

Diablos

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i really don't mean to keep being the BC defense force, but i got more thoughts on why this isn't such a bad thing.

first off, nobody can say definitively why jimmy left but now he spoke out i'm like 99% sure he simply wanted to focus his energies on a smaller project. it's really as simple as that. JCC has prolly been kicking around in his head for awhile and he decided he'd rather work on that than take on the strenous task of recording and touring with the big band that is SP

one thing i think the fans are neglecting in their outrage is, this is JIMMY CHAMBERLAIN we're talking about here. do you really think he'll stay away from billy for long? no, this is just a hiatus. i can in no way substantiate this as a fact, but this isn't like jimmy's riding off into the sunset and the the credits roll. he'll be back. it's just a matter of when

when SP "reunited" it was clear billy had a lot of ambitions for the band's future, for better or worse. so should he just halt his plans simply because jimmy wants to work on his own band for awhile? IMO that'd be stupid. better to do it now than have SP off the map for another 2-5 years.

who knows, the next album (or EP collection) could be amazing. and in that case it won't matter who's in the band. it's the music that's most important, not who's playing.
Based on Jimmy's response -- and this guy always tells it like it is -- I'm almost certain SP's future is gonna be more like GLOW and not Gossamer.

Diablos

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/news/billy-working-mark-tulin

As recently reported, Billy is working on some new demos for The Smashing Pumpkins but he is not alone in the studio.

Billy updated SmashingPumpkins.com with information regarding who is joining him during his current sessions. This time it is a friend, Mark Tulin, bassist for the legendary psychedelic band The Electric Prunes. See their official website at electricprunes.net.

This collaboration is bound to have an effect on the style of the current demoing process. Check out some of The Electric Prunes videos, including their most well-known hit, "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night below.
Uhh, ok? This dude is from a 60's band :lol

Raistlin

Could make for an interesting collaboration.

BC's style with a bit of a psychedelic groove? If they produce some longer 'epic' titles, it could be quite cool. Silver Fuck, only more trippy?

Macam

Banned
Update From Billy

I won't quote the whole entire freaking thing here, but let's just say he may want to do 2 other bands a la Jack White, they're going to do drummer try outs, the next proper SP song may hit in Sept, he's working out the lawsuits with EMI/Virgin, he's happy, he loves you, pray for him, and so on.

he's so full of shit. there was a time not too long ago where i bought into this fantasy story about how they were going to create all this great music and so on, but it's all bullcrap.

billy has no idea what the fuck he is doing. i'm not saying the pumpkins have created nothing good since being back (they've created a lot of good music) but what im saying is billy corgan is a liar and a douche. obviously i'm interested in hearing the new "album" but i don't know what i'm expecting.

it seems like ever since the pumpkins broke up the billy corgan i knew is gone. replaced by a religious fucking wacko with a lot of talent and no substance. not that being religious means you are a twat, but it's just a lot of little things about him adding up to a giant mountain of shit. maybe he has always been that way and i just didn't care to see it, but i am starting to see what a lot of people have been claiming for the past 15 years in BC

Diablos

Corgan still has a wealth of talent, but he's not executing it properly. The departure of Chamberlin solidifies the fact that he doesn't know what the hell he wants to do with his band. In his ridiculously long "mission statement", I find it amazing that he couldn't even devote a single sentence to talking about Jimmy, be it in a positive or negative tone. It's like he doesn't even care that he lost the most talented member that would ever help define the Smashing Pumpkins besides himself, not to mention one of the best rock drummers period. Incredible.

distantmantra said:
Past-Corgan would so kick Present-Corgan's ass over the way he's behaving lately.
They're two completely different people.

I think Billy has some insecurities with the way in which he's grown older while still trying to have a grasp on things as he did throughout his 20's and 30's. He just needs to learn to chill. Billy's biggest problem since 2000 or so is that he tries too hard. He doesn't seem to realize that, by default, he has a better idea than most when it comes to how he defines his music. So he keeps pushing himself until he screws it all up.

I don't want to say that I completely hate Billy, but even I'm at the point where I can roll my eyes at him. He just needs to learn to calm the fuck down.

2w2hh5s.jpg

Looks like Mr. Schroeder is in the studio. If it's one thing Billy got right with SP2, it's the fact that he found a better guitarist than James. :p

wow i dont even know what to say.

i think i would be less offended watching a video of a bump jerking off onto some of SP's old albums.

in my mind i want to believe that he needs this money because he has a life threatening illness that is incredibly expensive to treat but i don't know how feasible that is.

unbelieveable.

Sorry to bump this with no real news but I just saw that lockdown video. I laughed out loud. I can understand him doing shit for cash now. Selling Today to a Visa commerical, This wrestling commercial, Guitar Hero...whatever. Its what old rockstars should do, think about their future, settle down, blah blah.

I'm with FMT and am starting to have the BC hate. As stupid as Twitter is, I check it from my phone when I'm on the can. I follow Trent Reznor and now Billy. I like the way Trent reaches out to his fans, he seems like a normal dude. Billy's tweets are all "GOD IS GOOD" and bullshit like that. Dude, I respect your love of God, but don't preach! I hate the way SP.com is run. I hate that Jimmy left, I hate what Billy has done with the Smashing Pumpkins name.

Why can't he be happy with what he has accomplished. Its as if Siamese Dream and MCIS wasnt good enough, its as if he wants to be remembered as Zeppelin. Dude, its not going to happen, you're gonna be remembered like Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick are and thats not a bad thing! You're destined to be a legend in time, just let it come. The Pumpkins will never be at the peak that they were during MCIS.

And D'arcy was right, Adore should have been your first solo record.

/rant.

From Billy:

Hello, thank you for signing up for these updates. Because of the nature of today's post, and how the different ideas interact, I will be touching on both proposed business models; the archive fan-club and the new 'window' into the album songwriting sessions. Around 6,000 of you have shown interest in these updates, so because I am assuming you are on the dedicated side already, I will try to get to the center of the issues without a whole lot of contextual explanation.

Our first concept that we threw out for the archives (300$ for 200 songs) was met by a whole lot of complaining. Because we desire a harmonious relationship with those who would most want a completest approach to the bands history, we have revised this to a 40$ (proposed) fan-club sign up and this has been met much more positively. I think this demonstrates a willingness to work together to find a balance that will sustain over the next decade plus. The average mainstream fan doesn't give two hoots about that gig in Iowa in 1989, so we aren't even going to bother them with this kind of stuff, hence creating the relationships with you. We have enough on our hands to get them (the mainstream) to listen to newly recorded work. As you can see, everyone in the record biz these days is having the same problem, so it not particular to SP.

With that in mind, I have additionally proposed something quite unique as far as a 'window' into my songwriting processes with the idea of 12 weeks of mini-TV (about 25+ minutes a week broken into 5 updates OR 5+ hours of content). This would dwarf the kind of access that was given for example in the 'if all goes wrong' dvd, where one could see me briefly working out some idea. Having seen some of the raw footage from what Kristin shot at that time, there were moments that played out over 5 or 7 minutes that were quite interesting on their own but were definitely too long for a movie that had to hold a plot narrative. One of my favourite moments not shown in the film was the morning I wrote the riff for 'Sunkissed'. You see me playing some bs blues and I stop, take a deep breath, and then the idea comes out fully intact in one crystalline moment. Even I was surprised, and for the next few minutes you see the song just pour out of me. I realize for most this is not interesting at all, but this is interesting for some and that is the point of a project this is an optional, pay-if-you-want to see it deal. You would get to participate in moments essentially as they unfold. Here however is where it indeed does all go wrong...

'Take a walk with me
Tell me what you see
Take a walk with me tonight"
-lyric from an unreleased song I wrote last year

Last night I made the mistake of reading some of the feedback to this proposed idea. To say I was dismayed at some of the comments would be an understatement. The reaction was 50/50 mixed and very negative on the one side. I was so upset that I wrote a very long post in reaction, mocking the arguments made and canceling it altogether. Reading how something as open-hearted as inviting you into my inner-world of creativity turns into a sick, capitalistic manipulation is really disappointing to me personally. I speak not as the head of a multi-million dollar corporation, but as someone who lives and breathes being a musician. (I unfortunately made the vain mistake of asking for 3 dollars and 50 cents a week). The 40$ figure as a 'all in' was arrived at because I wanted to insure that those that were interested were going to take the whole ride for the all 12 weeks. I had expressed that this was not a profit driven business model, but many questioned the truth in that and went on to turn into personal attacks seeing it as yet another example of me taking advantage of them. Judging by this kind of feedback I would say this idea is dead on arrival. Which leaves me with 2 choices; cancel or revise.

My heart says to cancel, because the whole thing isn't worth the hassle for the few thousand that would show up and faithfully engage in something new and exciting and trust me on the expenses involved to deliver such a project to them. The willful part of me says I know this is a really cool idea because it will force a new kind of dialogue between artist and listener at a much earlier stage in the process.

In my last extensive post, I promised love and light moving forward. But I also promised reality as we struggle to find what is going to work business-wise in the years ahead. The Smashing Pumpkins 'business' is alive and well (thank you), or I wouldn't have just completed 165 date tour a few months back. Its laughable for people to think that this is some kind of way to stuff my pockets. One 90 minute concert alone and the profits from that completely blow such stupidity out of the water.

I have found thru the years that when I must become a salesman that this in turn reflects poorly on me as an artist. If I was a good salesman, there would be more than 6,000 people reading this newsletter, and I would be doing everything in my power to tell you why this a good idea and not a bad one.

Right now it's a bad idea because this proposal has some (not all) accusing me of all sorts of lame things that have little to do with the spirit of the music or the business that surrounds it. I don't need your money, for I am going to film these sessions anyway. The difference here was if we had an audience and a budget to work with, well then we could make it a whole lot of fun for everyone who wants to 'be there' and wants to see-here how the magic gets made. Great attempts would also be made to provide additional content to justify your participation. It would come with the responsibility on us to get the technical end right on a daily basis, hence the extra budget necessities to be able to turn footage around quickly.

Pandering to people for $ has never been my trip. I just don't care that much. So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna lay it all out there to you as a community. You decide what you want to do, because I already know what I'm going to do. Its your call. I figure to do this right its about 2,000$ a day, or 10,000$ a week which adds up to 120,000$.
Boring isn't it?

3000 subscribers at 40$=120,000$
6000 subscribers at 20$=120,000$
12,000 subscriber at 10$=120,000$

So you see, it is not a profit driven model. It is a content creation model.

If you as a community can self organize and 6000 people want to do this, then its 20$ (for the whole 12 weeks).
I'd much rather stuff 20$ in my pockets from 6000 people than 3000! (That's a joke by the way for those of you who lack the irony gene)

It ain't gonna happen for 40$ obviously because the negative vibe in the air just makes it all so icky. And I don't do icky anymore. If 20$ is TOO much for 12 weeks of unique, daily content and the trust isn't there for me to deliver it, then I might as well just focus on the mainstream fan who I know already doesn't give care for 'the art' and get back to the *yawn* grunge...

So that's it. We need 6,000 people who are adventurous enough to take this journey at 20$ or I'll just put it all in a can somewhere and move on. Your feedback is helpful and I thank you.

BC

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pag...newsletter-receives-message-from-billy-corgan

is he fucking serious? absolutely pathetic. there is so much wrong with this i don't even know where to begin. why can bands like NIN and radiohead release full albums free? if you're going to film this shit anyways why do you have to charge for you?

billy IS all about the money, that's it. i can't even listen to SP recently without changing the station or skipping them on my ipod. what a joke

Diablos

Infinitemadness said:
I'm with FMT and am starting to have the BC hate. As stupid as Twitter is, I check it from my phone when I'm on the can. I follow Trent Reznor and now Billy. I like the way Trent reaches out to his fans, he seems like a normal dude. Billy's tweets are all "GOD IS GOOD" and bullshit like that. Dude, I respect your love of God, but don't preach! I hate the way SP.com is run. I hate that Jimmy left, I hate what Billy has done with the Smashing Pumpkins name.
His twitter is embarrassing. And Billy's way too God-happy. He might as well be a Christian rock artist if he gets any more religious, and I'm not exaggerating. He's right at the line.

Let's not forget that Billy Corgan once said things such as...

1. "People do devastating things out of love and devotion. And if some guy rides a bus and blows himself up and twenty people around him because he loves God so much, it doesn't mean he's wrong or right. You can't just turn your head away from anything that you find repulsive, because in anything that has power, there has to be devotion." (Guitar World. July 1998.)

2."I was kind of a cosmic child. As a little kid, I remember wondering about God and the universe. I just remember reading bits of National Geographic magazine and watching shows on public television and being entranced by this thread of spirituality running throughout the world. There seemed to be this kind of secret chant for forgiveness and spiritual redemption. There was something mysteriously alluring about it, almost sensual."

3. "I don't know if God would agree with me, but believing in God is kind of unimportant when compared to believing in yourself. Because if you go with the idea that God gave you a mind and an ability to judge things, then he would want you to believe in yourself and not worry about believing in him. By believing in yourself you will come to the conclusion that will point to something."

4. "If I had spent fourteen months in a small room with Jesus, I'd want to fist fight with him."

5. "I'm no messiah, I'm just some dumb Mid-West guy."
Why can't he be happy with what he has accomplished. Its as if Siamese Dream and MCIS wasnt good enough, its as if he wants to be remembered as Zeppelin. Dude, its not going to happen, you're gonna be remembered like Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick are and thats not a bad thing! You're destined to be a legend in time, just let it come. The Pumpkins will never be at the peak that they were during MCIS.
Actually I think he has (perhaps had depending on how much he continues to piss off the last remaining loyal SP fans) the potential to be remembered as much more than that. Billy Corgan should at least be credited, regardless of what happens to him now, as a visionary who seriously pushed the envelope on the way an artist/band can be immortalized by the way in which the music was recorded. Billy talked about that back in the day -- that is, the importance of making your music sound so good that when you die, you will die knowing that much of your work was put to tape that represented it in the best way possible. For Gish, Siamese, MCIS, and yes, even Adore, that is definitely true. That alone is a huge body of work when you also consider the b-sides and most of the demos related to those albums.

He should also be remembered for being able to put together some absolutely sick live shows. Back in the 90's he basically went on the road with three other people who did not know much about playing that kind of music, and he still managed to allow the band to progress into live greatness. SP2 and the return of Jimmy perfected their sound, I think, even with an absence of James and Darcy. Although Jeff Schroeder is a better guitarist than James. Ginger's better than Darcy, too, but that doesn't take much.

And D'arcy was right, Adore should have been your first solo record.
James and Darcy, for as much as they had nothing to do in the studio (especially for Adore), kicked ass on stage for that album. And the Adore tour is probably one of their best, even with no Jimmy.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is he fucking serious? absolutely pathetic. there is so much wrong with this i don't even know where to begin. why can bands like NIN and radiohead release full albums free? if you're going to film this shit anyways why do you have to charge for you?

billy IS all about the money, that's it. i can't even listen to SP recently without changing the station or skipping them on my ipod. what a joke
Actually if you read in between the lines Billy is conceding, because enough people probably won't jump on board.

Either way you look at it, he's a fucking joke for even putting so much thought into a project like this during an economic meltdown. Release the fucking Gish boxset for $50-70 and call it a day, revisit the other stuff in another year or something. As for the other bullshit, like watching him record a new song... are you serious, Billy? :lol

Apparently a lot of the stuff from the early days cannot be released because of legal issues.

I have no idea what GLOW stands for. But it is easily their worst single. So much for them releasing a killer studio version of the alternative/metal balls to the wall rocker that is As Rome Burns; you kinda need Jimmy for that one to work.

Diablos

So, apparently Jimmy Chamberlin, one of the best drummers of the past 20 years or so, has been replaced by a fucking 19 YEAR OLD.

24l7nte.jpg

On the right.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smashing-pumpkins/45218

19-year-old Mike Byrne to replace Jimmy Chamberlin

* Jun 9, 2009
* 2 Comments
* The Smashing Pumpkins news, reviews, video and tour dates
* Post to Twitter

have reportedly found a new drummer - and he is just 19.

Mike Byrne, drummer for Oregon-based band Moses, Smell the Roses apparently landed the gig after working for a week with Corgan last month, and blogged on his MySpace page that he was “off for another couple of weeks at Pumpkin camp”, reports Hipstersunited.com.

The Smashing Pumpkins' frontman Billy Corgan previously blogged that he had found the “drummer of the future” and that he planned to “work with him some more before it becomes official,” while Byrne’s Moses, Smell The Roses bandmate Ben Spees also Twittered that he is the “drummer of the future”, hinting that Byrne is who Corgan was referring to in his blog.

Byrne would be the replacement for Jimmy Chamberlin, who quit earlier this year, leaving Corgan as the group's only original member.

--By our New York staff.
Find out more about NME.

And while I'll even admit that for a 19 year old he can play -- BILLY CORGAN, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING? YOU WENT FROM JIMMY CHAMBERLIN TO THIS. I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING NEVER TAKING BILLY CORGAN SERIOUSLY AGAIN.

When I first made this thread, while I always figured there would be some drama and unexpected things (after all, it is SP), I wouldn't have ever guessed that I would be posting something like this.

I don't even know what else to fucking say.

Holy shit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Diablos said:
So, apparently Jimmy Chamberlin, one of the best drummers of the past 20 years or so, has been replaced by a fucking 19 YEAR OLD.
Wait...what?! holy shit. wtf.

Time to let this old girl go to sleep, Billy. She's in pain and you're only making it worse.

Seriously, these delusions you're having need to stop. Now.

Oreoleo

What was wrong with Kerry Brown? that would have been an awesome replacement for Jimmy.

I'm sure the he can play, but damn. It's gonna be weird watching a kid younger than me on stage at the next Pumpkins show.

Orellio said:
What was wrong with Kerry Brown? that would have been an awesome replacement for Jimmy.

I'm sure the he can play, but damn. It's gonna be weird watching a kid younger than me on stage at the next Pumpkins show.

I was 12 the first time I saw the Pumpkins (Seattle 1993)... I'm now 27. That kid was only FOUR at the time.

Heck, he wasn't even born when the band formed.

i think it's for the better... the band needs new blood. and i mean new blood quite literally.

though it makes me feel old as fuck. i always had the far-fetched dream of playing onstage will the pumpkins, and seeing somebody seven years younger than me do it makes me feel blah.

Top Bottom