• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Gouty said:
What? That Zwan album was terrific.
Less than half of it. Maybe 3-4 songs.

Zwan live > Zwan studio, much like various things Corgan has done, but even moreso for Zwan.

ANYWAY, looks like Billy's spilling his guts even more! And, honestly, after reading this -- I've basically lost all respect. He's insane.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...lit-loving-jessica-simpson-preview-the-story/

Here are the first two sentences of Rolling Stone’s first Billy Corgan feature in a decade:

Unless you count what he’s done to his career, Billy Corgan has never attempted suicide. Until recently, there were plenty of mornings when he’d wake up to a stark choice: “Go eat breakfast, or go kill yourself.”

When Rolling Stone’s Brian Hiatt met with Corgan in Los Angeles in early February, the Smashing Pumpkins founder had a lot to say about a very rough 10 years. “There’s a lot of days where you feel forgotten,” Corgan says at one point. In a soul-baring, wide-ranging interview, Corgan discusses the idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs that saved him from suicidal depression (including his association with a vintage hippie cult called Source Family); opens up for the first time about his 2009 split with drummer Jimmy Chamberlin (Corgan says he fired him); reveals his father’s heroin addiction (his dad was arrested two years ago with a needle still in his arm); says that he “loves” Jessica Simpson; and much more. For the full feature, see our new issue, on sale now — in the meantime, here are a few highlights:

Corgan on His Critics:
“Do I belong in the conversation about the best artists in the world? My answer is yes, I do,” he says. “I’ve been too productive for too long, and despite what anybody wants to strip away from me, I am influential. I am. So all the Pitchforks in the world can try to strip me of every ounce of dignity, but I belong.”

On the Pumpkins’ Breakup:
“Rather than break up the band, what I should have done is chuck James [Iha] out,” Corgan says. “I should have just said to Jimmy [Chamberlin], ‘You go to rehab, and we’ll continue, and James, get the fuck out of here.’ Instead, I fell on my sword for James, for what I thought was a friend.”

On His Spiritual Beliefs:
Corgan subscribes to the fashionable idea that we’re building to a cataclysm, or at least a major vibrational shift, in 2012; he wonders what was really in the H1N1 vaccine; he fears that the United States is headed toward a Soviet Union-style economic collapse… But when pressed on details, he backs off: “I don’t want to be a dead hero,” he says.

On “Loving” Jessica Simpson:
“If I go, ‘Oh, we’re just friends,’ then it’s like, ‘Did they go out, did he dump her or she dump him, what happened?’ It has nothing to do with any of that. Sometimes people just like being around each other, and good things come out of that. My goal in life is to love whoever I think is worth loving, and I think if people knew her like I knew her, they would love her like I do. It’s really simple.”

WHAT A FUCKING LOON.

Wow, it would take lots of class for Jimmy to basically say he "quit" and that it "really is that simple" after Corgan FIRED HIM for no good reason. I cannot believe this. In the 90's, he had good reason to fire him, so he could go to rehab, and, you know, not die. Now? Why the fuck would you get rid of him now? He's clean, he drums like nobody's business (I still believe he's one of the best around, truly world class), and was key to the band's sound -- especially on stage. So glad I saw the Pumpkins in 2007 when he was still present. I have no desire to see them now; not expecting an Adore-style tour where he really made a nice presentation out of the whole thing, and had some talented drummers to attempt and fill Jimmy's shoes, not some 19-20 year old kid with no style.

The new song is decent at best. The synth overlays are nice but honestly, it sounds like a polished Machina demo. Bland.

Diablos

James really doesn't care, it's true. He would definitely be the type to dick around with Billy's head in the later half of what is now referred to as "SP1" (the original lineup). Really, it's quite obvious: Billy's got more of a mainstream mentality while James Iha is the smart and savvy small record label guy who'd rather have some indie cred. Their personalities couldn't be any more different. It's pretty shocking they were both able to stand on the same stage together for all those years.

Billy is incompetent for not realizing James didn't care at the end of the day. Gish and Mellon Collie were probably the only two things Iha ever cared about in the studio; he was almost totally absent from the Adore sessions, and Machina, well... pretty sure he only stuck around because Darcy did, too (for a while, anyway). Basically, after 1995, James stopped caring.

But yeah, Billy was right about James in the RS article: He should have fired him instead of stringing him along (although it was James who got the last laugh), told Jimmy to clean himself up (since I assume he was having more drug problems in 2000), took a breather for maybe two or three years, then move on. Instead he acted like a pussy, pretended his ego had vanished and created Zwan, acted like a pussy even more and disbanded Zwan, put out a decent solo album, and then scrambled to bring the Pumpkins back to life again. None of that shit should have happened. He should have done what he did in 2005-2007 in 2002-2004 instead.

Firing Chamberlin though, wow. The man did so much to put SP on the map. Corgan can get fucked.

James Iha is so underrated, he wrote the chord progression for Mayonnaise FFS! He plays the solo on Zero and Stand Inside Your Love :)

Diablos

PumpkinPie said:
James Iha is so underrated, he wrote the chord progression for Mayonnaise FFS! He plays the solo on Zero and Stand Inside Your Love :)
Billy = Jimmy > James > Darcy

That's how I've always ranked them, anyway.

I remember listening to the band in 5th grade when my friends sister got me into them. That was about 12-13 years ago. I loved everything they put out, way back when, and sorta got off track after Adore.

Oreoleo

Lard said:
I'm glad I saw the original line-up on the Siamese Dream tour.
yhst-34640480252896_2091_12146141

ATF487

New song: It's pretty solid, compared to the other crap songs he's released from Teargarden. I've liked his post Machina acoustic work, in both Zwan and the American Gothic EP.

Zwan: They had some great live tracks, and I'm sure they have some of them recorded but we'll probably never see them because Corgan hates the shit outta Pajo/Sweeney/Lenchantin. I liked MSOTS for what it was, and thought that their acoustic incarnation (The Djali Zwan, awful name) would be pretty awesome. I have a bootleg of an acoustic concert they did in 2003 that's really good and I still hope any studio recordings will surface someday, but more for curiosity than anything else.

This new interview: Corgan is trying as hard as he can to be irrelevant. I don't think he's spoken to Iha/Darcy in nearly 10 years, he needs to stop holding a goddamn grudge. He's far too old to act like a child; it was neat in the mid 90s when he connected with all these depressed teenagers but he's in his mid 40s now. And Jimmy was a wonderful drummer, and unless he started doing heroin again, there's no reason on Earth to fire him.

Diablos

Gouty said:
Does anyone else think Teargarden is simply too ambitious for Billy to finish?
No. It's not even that. It's that Billy's creativity seems to be gone.

The Latina Darcy with a Christian tilt is out, and they're auditioning new bassists. Not like it matters. I'm sure she'll be 20 or something, and a god-fearing nutcase.

Fuck Billy Corgan.

what happened to jeff? he was a really good guitarist (or IS) and i was foolishly hoping he might be able to get in studio with billy and write some good stuff :(

the pumpkins are playing a free show at Amoeba records in los angeles on 4/17/10. anyone going? i know i shouldn't go, but.... i don't know, i might just have to :(

i dont even know who is in the band at this point!

Oreoleo

Astral Planes, anyone?

I like it enough to listen to it twice in a row. More than I can say about the other Teargarden songs. Vocoded Billy vocals are refreshing after 3 years of front-of-the-mix dry vocals.

Orellio said:
Astral Planes, anyone?

I like it enough to listen to it twice in a row. More than I can say about the other Teargarden songs. Vocoded Billy vocals are refreshing after 3 years of front-of-the-mix dry vocals.

the music isn't bad, but the lyrics are annoying. "everyone... everyone... everyone... everyone.... everyone"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's strange too read this thread. Pumpkins were one of my favourite bands in high school, so many memories.... But after Adore they become different and I didn't like the change. Something was missing, some spark that made their music into coherent whole. Corgan is overrated.

Holy shit, I had no idea there was an official pumpkins thread. This has made my day. Not really digging Astral Planes but I will continue to give it a chance to grow on me.

By the way, here is audio of an acoustic version of Ava Adore that they performed at The Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, TN during their charity tour. I believe it is the only time the band performed this version of the song live (at the very least its the only recording of said version) It was a great show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bnz5BW_pZQ

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just listened to the new track, I dig it. Small criticism though, is it just me or is Jimmy regressing as a drummer?

I want Jimmy back. :(

Gouty said:
Just listened to the new track, I dig it. Small criticism though, is it just me or is Jimmy regressing as a drummer?

I want Jimmy back. :(

Yeah, Jimmy is sorely missed. He is irreplaceable in my opinion. I bet Billy has Byrne completely under his reigns. Maybe if he let Byrne do his own thing and experiment then it could be better.

Macam

Banned
The new song is pretty shit IMO, but I'm willing to give it a few more spins and listen to the album in the broader context if and when it gets done (which at 44 songs, and a 3 months per song, I think we're looking at something like 11 years before we get all the songs here).

Also, Record Day amateur videos. Jimmy looks like he's 12.

Oreoleo

theusedversion said:
Yeah, Jimmy is sorely missed. He is irreplaceable in my opinion. I bet Billy has Byrne completely under his reigns. Maybe if he let Byrne do his own thing and experiment then it could be better.

It doesn't help that the drums are really poorly mixed. Maybe it's intentional to cover up Byrne's lackluster drumming.

I pretty much wrote off the pumpkins after Jimmy left, but now jesus its just like a train wreck.

I saw them in 2008, and still rocked pretty hard.
Not so much now.

Macam

Banned
Another year, another band member departs. Ginger's out, whoever this chick is, is in.

SPNICHOLE_4860.jpg

Oh, and you can buy the 4-track limited edition EP for something like $32.

Honestly? I give up with this band. In 6 months, we'll get another half-assed track, Jeff will probably leave and be replaced with a 17-year old guitarist, Billy will start dating Keisha, and the cycle will begin again.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Macam said:
In 6 months, we'll get another half-assed track, Jeff will probably leave and be replaced with a 17-year old guitarist, Billy will start dating Keisha, and the cycle will begin again.

He’ll complete this cycle 11 times and then it will be revealed that it was all a joke/decoy to draw our attention away from the completed Siamesemelloncollie Super Album that then slowly glides out from the center of his forehead like a Redbox rental.

Oreoleo

Now that Diablos has basically given up the ghost I feel like the only guy on this board who gives a damn about SP anymore :(

Anyway tour dates were announced:
SP.com said:
TUE 7/6 Cleveland, OH House of Blues

THU 7/8 Grand Rapids, MI Orbit Room

FRI 7/9 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall

SAT 7/10 Louisville, KY Forecastle Festival

MON 7/12 Baltimore, MD Rams Head Live

TUE 7/13 Richmond,VA The National

THU 7/15 Norfolk, VA The Norva

FRI 7/16 Charlotte, NC Fillmore

SAT 7/17 Charleston, SC Music Farm

MON 7/19 Orlando, FL House of Blues

TUE 7/20 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Revolution

WED 7/21 Tampa, FL Ritz

FRI 7/23 New Orleans, LA House of Blues Howlin Wolf

SAT 7/24 Memphis, TN Minglewood Hall

SAT 8/7 Tokyo Marine Stadium / Messe

SUN 8/8 Osaka Maishima / Summer Sonic Site

TUE 8/10 Tokyo Tokyo Studio Coast

WED 8/11 Tokyo Tokyo Studio Coast

Oreoleo

FrenchMovieTheme said:
no LA dates? u lose corgan

It seems like there are a lot of obvious cities missing. And I wonder if it has to do with past shows he has played there. For example, if you've seen the If All Goes Wrong DVD there's a bit where Billy talks about how great of a time the residency at the Filmore in NC was, and then they went out to LA for the other residency and it was a miserable/time atmosphere comparatively. So now they'll be playing at The Filmore again and not in LA. Similarly the crowds at the 2008 NYC shows were almost infamously bad/rude so I'm not completely surprised to not see a NYC show.

Or maybe he's just purposely skipping large markets all together (Cleveland FTL :_( ) and I'm reading too much into it.

Orellio said:
It seems like there are a lot of obvious cities missing. And I wonder if it has to do with past shows he has played there. For example, if you've seen the If All Goes Wrong DVD there's a bit where Billy talks about how great of a time the residency at the Filmore in NC was, and then they went out to LA for the other residency and it was a miserable/time atmosphere comparatively. So now they'll be playing at The Filmore again and not in LA. Similarly the crowds at the 2008 NYC shows were almost infamously bad/rude so I'm not completely surprised to not see a NYC show.

Or maybe he's just purposely skipping large markets all together (Cleveland FTL :_( ) and I'm reading too much into it.

the 20th anniversary shows were a fucking joke.

what would you consider an ANNIVERSARY show to be? all the classics right? that's what i would think. but no. instead we get some classics, some new stuff, and ridiculous 25 minute jam sessions that sucked. i dont mind sprinkling in a couple new songs but come on man save that shit for another place and another tour. that was a great opportunity to reach into the catalog with some classic rare stuff i would've loved to see live in my lifetime (marquis in spades, god, dross, set the ray to jerry, etc etc) but instead he pulls out this other bullshit.

so if billy was slighted by the LA audience he absolutely deserved it with the crap he has pulled in regards to the pumpkins. shameful

its like billy corgan is trying to recapture his youth and become relevant again. well it's not going to happen. even if all the original members were still in the band the pumpkins would still be an over-the-hill band that could probably easily sell out amphitheatres (no shame in that!) but would never be a "stadium band for life" like U2 or rolling stones. but no, now he has to ruin it all with a bunch of nobodies in the band. yeah i guess bullet with butterfly wings still sounds similar live but it isn't the same and never will be.

i'd probably see them if they came to LA but it's just a pity the way this has all gone down.

Oreoleo

It's just a name man don't take it so personally. Honestly I feel like he's trying to move on from the shadow of the old band now more than ever (In regards to new material).

Also RE: hearing 'rare' songs live on the 20th anniversary shows: At the show I was at in 2007 they played Hummer, Set the Ray, Home, Lucky 13, and Muzzle amongst the more typical singles. In 2008 they played Mayonaise, Soma, Speed Kills, Eye, etc.. I can't say I particularly agree with your claim of not hearing enough deep cuts.

Orellio said:
It's just a name man don't take it so personally. Honestly I feel like he's trying to move on from the shadow of the old band now more than ever (In regards to new material).

Also RE: hearing 'rare' songs live on the 20th anniversary shows: At the show I was at in 2007 they played Hummer, Set the Ray, Home, Lucky 13, and Muzzle amongst the more typical singles. In 2008 they played Mayonaise, Soma, Speed Kills, Eye, etc.. I can't say I particularly agree with your claim of not hearing enough deep cuts.

yeah i heard some rare stuff at the 2 san fran shows i went to in the residency gig. but here's a setlist from the 2 los angeles "anniversary" shows:

1. Roctopus Play Video
2. Everybody Come Clap Your Hands (The Searchers cover) Play Video
3. Tarantula Play Video
4. G.L.O.W. Play Video
5. Siva Play Video
6. Eye Play Video
7. Mayonaise Play Video
8. Tonight, Tonight Play Video
9. Speed Kills Play Video
10. Stand Inside Your Love Play Video
11. Superchrist Play Video
12. United States Play Video
13. PanamaAdditional Information: TeaseTease (Van Halen cover) Play Video
14. Three Lock BoxAdditional Information: TeaseTease (Sammy Hagar cover) Play Video
15. Once Upon a Time Play Video
16. Again, Again, Again (The Crux) Play Video
17. The Rose March Play Video
18. Today Play Video
19. Bullet With Butterfly Wings Play Video
20. The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning Play Video
21. Heavy Metal Machine Play Video
22. Glass' Theme Play Video
23. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (Pink Floyd cover) Play Video
24. Encore:
24. We Only Come Out at Night Play Video
25. (They Long to Be) Close to You (Carpenters cover) Play Video

# Ava Adore Play Video
# Cupid de Locke Play Video
# 1979 Play Video
# 99 Floors Play Video
# Owata Play Video
# Sunkissed Play Video
# Soma Play Video
# Cherub Rock Play Video
# Zero Play Video
# Bodies Play Video
# Crestfallen Play Video
# I of the Mourning Play Video
# A Song for a Son Play Video
# Landslide (Fleetwood Mac cover) Play Video
# Disarm Play Video
# Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness Play Video
# Galapogos Play Video
# Gossamer (with George Lynch) Play Video
# As Rome Burns Play Video
# The Sounds of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel cover) Play Video
# Li'l Red Riding Hood (Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs cover) Play Video
# The March Hare / Suffer Play Video
# Age of Innocence Play Video
# Encore:
# That's the Way (My Love Is) Play Video
# I Am One Pt. 2 (with George Lynch)

not what i would call a reach into the bands past and celebrating their 20th anniversary. the setlists for the residency gigs were much better and i still contest that a song like goassamer and i am one pt 2 and set the controls for the heart of the sun had no business at those shows (and i love gossamer)

also, if corgan wants to get out of the shadow of the old pumpkins good luck. he already tried that with his solo stuff and zwan and apparently it didn't work. why would going BACK to that old band name help to get him out of the shadows? if anything it has only made it worse. not saying i dont like any of the new stuff but corgans attitude has been strange to me

Oreoleo

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah i heard some rare stuff at the 2 san fran shows i went to in the residency gig. but here's a setlist from the 2 los angeles "anniversary" shows:

not what i would call a reach into the bands past and celebrating their 20th anniversary. the setlists for the residency gigs were much better and i still contest that a song like goassamer and i am one pt 2 and set the controls for the heart of the sun had no business at those shows (and i love gossamer)

I agree in principle. The 20th Anniversary shows were misleading to a lot of people. Did I leave the show disappointed? FUCK NO. But you definitely have a point. Set the Controls might be the worst song the band has ever performed live (Luckily it got skipped in Cleveland in '08). Barring that I personally didn't have a problem with the set lists generally. A lot of the new songs are longer which exacerbated things but even those two LA sets you posted seem really balanced between new and old songs to me.

also, if corgan wants to get out of the shadow of the old pumpkins good luck. he already tried that with his solo stuff and zwan and apparently it didn't work. why would going BACK to that old band name help to get him out of the shadows? if anything it has only made it worse. not saying i dont like any of the new stuff but corgans attitude has been strange to me

I meant post-Chamberlain leaving in regards to getting away from the shadow of the old band. Sky Saxon dieing had a big impact on Billy and his songwriting IMO and since then it seems like he's going down a much different path compared to what Zeitgeist suggested. At the end of the day I guess I'd prefer if Bill had never revived the name SP, but the dude has to make a living somehow and if calling himself Zwan wasn't cutting it then so be it.

YuriLowell said:
Im going to the richmond show.

I don't care what anyone says.

\m/

Diablos

Orellio said:
Now that Diablos has basically given up the ghost I feel like the only guy on this board who gives a damn about SP anymore :(
I can't even listen to the band anymore.

btw, just chiming in to let you all know that the one and only BILLY OMG CORGAN is a tea-bagging nutcase.

Choice twitter commentary:

"Umm, how did we go from 'global warming' to 'climate change'? Scam. Just one more scam. Tired of the scams. Zzzzzz... "

" I love that the propaganda is already starting in the media to get everyone used to the idea of higher taxes. Scam. "

"US Media run reports on the negative health effects of volcanic ash, but completely ignore EXISTENCE of chem-trails.yep.Barium=good health!"

"I love how people who believe the United States should follow it's own Constitution are being portrayed as somehow 'strange'. Curious that."

"Great quote from our President: 'I got a lot of money from a lot of people'."
Don't spend a dime on this fucktard. He's beyond a shell of his former self. Who even wants to know what the hell he is anymore.

Chemtrails.
:lol :lol :lol

From where I'm standing right now I count 22 separate chemtrails in the sky. Total patriot overkill.
I love being chem-trailed to death. Love it! Nothing like a bunch of barium for breakfast.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

www.twitter.com/billy for more entertainment. Help me find more tweets that confirm how pathetic this man has become!

Can't believe I am agreeing with Rush Limbaugh at the moment about the oncoming $ crisis. Where was Rush when GWB was raping the country?
He was verbally sucking his cock daily, Billy.

I can't believe this idiot actually made cool shit like Siamese Dream and Machina 2. Unreal.

Astral Planes has too much cheese for its own good. His voice has a vocoder applied, but it still has that "louder than anything else in the room" approach, which is really awful. The middle part of the song is cool. Everything else falls flat. Billy's creativity is completely gone, I'm pretty sure (along with his intelligence and sanity).

EVERYONE, EVERYONE, EVERYONE [guitar cheeseeeeeeee]

Top Bottom