• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Seanspeed

Banned
Again, you guys are speaking as 'fans' of the band.

Their less radio-friendly stuff is great for those of us already educated in the ways of the Pumpkins, but if you want somebody to actually get 'hooked' on them, you've gotta give them the catchy, more mainstream stuff. Songs like 'Zero' and 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' may be tiresome to us, but they're still catchy, quality songs.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
MCIS is the best pumpkins album, followed closely by siamese dream
I agree totally. So I dont understand why you're trying to disagree with me. :lol

Seanspeed said:

Their less radio-friendly stuff is great for those of us already educated in the ways of the Pumpkins, but if you want somebody to actually get 'hooked' on them, you've gotta give them the catchy, more mainstream stuff. Songs like 'Zero' and 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' may be tiresome to us, but they're still catchy, quality songs.

I agree totally. So I dont understand why you're trying to disagree with me. :lol

people don't need music dumbed down for them. if you want to hear the catchy singles go buy the greatest hits albums. there are plenty of "catchy" b-sides and lesser known songs

Seanspeed said:

because i consider myself to be a hardcore pumpkins fan and you said don't listen to them :(

Seanspeed

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
people don't need music dumbed down for them. if you want to hear the catchy singles go buy the greatest hits albums. there are plenty of "catchy" b-sides and lesser known songs
No, people dont need music dumbed down for them, but when introduced to a new 'concept', it tends to be easier to digest something more mainstream and easily acceptable rather than dive deeper straight into the 'details', if you get what I'm saying.

There's a reason that their popular songs were chosen as singles. This isn't some just random vote. They try and pick out the catchiest, most 'generally acceptable' stuff they have in order to promote themselves(or for the record label to promote 'them', more accurately).

I'm not sure if I'd ever have become a Pumpkins fan if the first song I heard from them was "Here is No Why". I mean, I love this song now, one of my favorites, but its only through time and appreciation of the band's style that I've come to love it. Its not a song that I'd instantly fall in love with upon first listening.

Diablos

If I could be positive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90v1Rftw8Y

I'm seriously impressed. Jeff Schroeder > James Iha and this confirms it. What he's playing is straight-up My Bloody Valentine psychedelic brilliance. Mike Bryne's mediocre drumming is restrained enough for me to tune it out. But yeah, wow. I can't write SP off completely now. I still expect the new songs to suck, however.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hah, "That's The Way..." sounds good with the new guitar fill, but how do we know it wasn't Billy's idea? ;)

James Iha 4 lyfe, son.

I still hate Jeff, he doesn't go in the studio to record the albums, he's just hired help. James used to actually make solos and shit up e.g. Stand Inside Your Love solo.

Macam

Banned
I'm almost sorry to post this because it's possibly the most offensive new track yet, but...it's up: The new track, Spangled, is up.

Yes, it's worse. Much, much worse.

SP is coming to Austin in the next week or so and I have absolutely zero incentive to see them, despite the fact that I know BC can put on a grand show and will revisit their older material. The sheer thought of having to hear one of these god awful new tracks live, and with a pretty ho-hum drummer on top of it, is absolutely killing any reason for me to go.

Macam said:
I'm almost sorry to post this because it's possibly the most offensive new track yet, but...it's up: The new track, Spangled, is up.

SP is coming to Austin in the next week or so and I have absolutely zero incentive to see them, despite the fact that I know BC can put on a grand show and will revisit their older material. The sheer thought of having to hear one of these god awful new tracks live, and with a pretty ho-hum drummer on top of it, is absolutely killing any reason for me to go.

I saw them at Sunset Strip Music Festival, and they rocked it. Take a chance! From the new stuff, I REALLY like Song for a Son and Freaks. I can't wait for the studio version of As Rome Burns. This song however, sounds like a Beatles track. Not really a fan.

Puddles

Banned
Saw them here in Seoul about a month ago. Freak and Astral Planes sounded great live, so I was really disappointed to hear the album versions. Both of those songs could be decent with better production. The live versions were really balls to the wall rock, but the studio versions sound incredibly restrained.

It also pisses me off that the best thing they've done in years, Gossamer, isn't on any album.

Macam

Banned
The time for me to see SP live has come and gone. I just don't see myself enjoying the show with the new material and the band changes. I'll support BC and co. when he gets back to writing good material.

And it would take the entire stock of well tequila at Stubbs' bar to get me to start to even like Freak.

NGAMER9

Macam said:

I disagree, I like this one a lot more than the last few. It doesn't sound like the Pumpkins, but I'm still okay with it. Plus it goes by quick and isn't super repetitive.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I think part of the problem the idiotic way in which we’re being exposed to the new material. We just waited what, 3 months for 2 minuets of mediocrity? If we heard the entire album at one time, and got to listen to how the songs played together as a part of the whole and the diversity a little number like that might provide we’d probably look more favorably towards it. That might not tell the entire tale but it certainly isn't helping.

ethic said:
New Song, "The Fellowship." Or so I read. Hasn't been posted to the SP site yet.

http://download.the-zomb.com/SmashingPumpkins-TheFellowship.mp3

It's actually rather good. Relatively, anyway.

no offense to you.... but that song is horrible on first listen.

i'm not a total lyric snob but who the fuck is writing this shit? the music isn't good, but the lyrics are (and have been for a couple years) fucking awful. it's hard to take a song like this seriously.

shameful :(

Diablos

SP's live show isn't the only thing that's nearly dead save some random moments here and there like what I posted above... the whole band is a joke now.

"Jesus Needs a Hit"? Really? :lol :lol :lol :lol
Billy's only a couple steps away from playing at a Tea Party rally, I swear.

ANYWAY

I was gonna post a new thread, but I don't think enough people would care so I'll just post it here (even though it isn't SP). Jimmy's new album is hitting bandcamp this month!

http://blog.hipstersunited.com/2010/10/10/this-album-great-civilizations-coming-out-this-month/

Mike Reina, the singer-songwriter working with former Smashing Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin on a band called This, has revealed the status of that band’s first project to music site betterPropaganda (HT: The Machine Somehow):

Great Civilizations, the first release from THIS will be available for download mid October at bandcamp and the vinyl release will follow shortly thereafter
I can't wait. It's gonna be amazing. I know it. You know it.

Reese-015

Just started checking out the new songs after a long time of being out of the loop about the Pumpkins. Love many of them (incl The Fellowship, Freak USA, Tom Tom, Stich in Time, A Song for a Son), the rest is ok, totally didn't expect all the hate when checking this thread!

Diablos

Gabyskra said:
What a trainwreck. The 90s are over, let's get over it.
Especially when you read something like this:

http://blog.hipstersunited.com/2011/01/15/shaman-encouraged-chamberlin-to-leave-smashing-pumpkins/

When Chamberlin first met Durek, he had been playing with the Smashing Pumpkins, an alternative rock band, for 20 years. Durek said spirit guides were telling Chamberlin that he needed to leave his band and create his own music. “Durek was the one that took me aside and said, ‘Look, there’s nothing to be afraid of; only good will come out of this,’” says Chamberlin. Since then, Chamberlin feels he has more balance in his life. “My life pre-Durek and post-Durek is diametrically opposed. I really owe a lot of it to him. He was instrumental in facilitating a massive change in my life. I cherish our friendship and every word he says.”

How can a man with so much talent make such a stupid decision? Of course, Billy claims he fired him...

My, what a joke this band has become.

I really think Billy and Jimmy are just two totally lost people. The years of drugs and drama have not done them any good whatsoever. Completely lost. Billy has kind of fallen off when it comes to pretty much everything over the past two or three years, but Chamberlin is one of the most talented drummers around. A real shame he's listening to a fucking Shaman instead of realizing his full potential.

I can imagine, especially during the climax of the song. The whole Machina is awesome live. Man, I wish I was a bit older so I could have seen them at their peak, not sure I would want to see them now.

if they left machina alone and the record sounded like the live versions it would have been awesome. virex was a great song and then it got turned into the imploding voice and kind of ruined the song. there are a few other examples.

SIYL, i of the mourning and the everlasting gaze were all good and i feel stand the test of time. not a bad album but like a lot of things with the pumpkins it was unrealized potential.

and i can't fucking believe jimmy was told by a god damn shaman and he listened. absolutely ridiculous. i hope i don't become some easily influenced religious douchebag when i'm older. although no one would really care since im not writing music anyone wants to hear anyways!

Oreoleo

FrenchMovieTheme said:
if they left machina alone and the record sounded like the live versions it would have been awesome. virex was a great song and then it got turned into the imploding voice and kind of ruined the song. there are a few other examples.

SIYL, i of the mourning and the everlasting gaze were all good and i feel stand the test of time. not a bad album but like a lot of things with the pumpkins it was unrealized potential.

There's a promo/pre-master/etc version of Machina1 floating around that is (IMO) better produced and less harsh sounding than the final product. Retail Machina I find mostly unlistenable because of the production, but this promo version sounds really nice and when I want to listen to Machina it's the version I turn to every time.

Diablos

I've said this probably 100 times at least in all the years I've discussed SP: Machina 1 suffered from poor production values but Machina 2 more than made up for it. The songs on that album are totally overlooked. Slow Dawn, Real Love, Cash Car Star, In My Body, Vanity, Lucky 13 (was so awesome live), Speed Kills (holy SHIT this has got to be one of the most epic songs Corgan has ever written and produced, the guitars omg), superior version of Try, Home, LMGTWTY... uh yeah. Stands tall against the very best Billy ever had to offer.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I can imagine, especially during the climax of the song. The whole Machina is awesome live. Man, I wish I was a bit older so I could have seen them at their peak, not sure I would want to see them now.
It's not worth seeing the band if Jimmy Chamberlin isn't there. The Adore tour was the exception to the rule, but that was quite ambitious. I saw them in 2007, and despite what many critics (armchair or pro) said, the band was as good as ever, dare I say even better in some regards (see: Gossamer, Superchrist, revamped Heavy Metal Machine, etc. etc. etc). Mike Bryne is a joke and Billy ought to be ashamed (and Jimmy downright offended) that such a clueless noob replaced him. It's clear he has no talent; Billy buries him in the mix in all of the new songs, and for good reason. The lack of Jimmy is quite noticable in any songs that have drumming (which would be all but one so far), and it really does seem like something vital is just missing.

Just started checking out the new songs after a long time of being out of the loop about the Pumpkins. Love many of them (incl The Fellowship, Freak USA, Tom Tom, Stich in Time, A Song for a Son), the rest is ok, totally didn't expect all the hate when checking this thread!
Song for a Son, The Fellowship, Spangled, and A Stitch in Time are good. Tom Tom is a feel good tune, but the lyrics turn me off. The music reminds me of Stereophonics or something. Sunny UK alt-pop stuff. That said, it's yet another fabulous Corgan tune tainted by stupid lyrics about Jesus/prayer/spirituality/what the fuck ever. Spangled sufferes from this too. I'm not saying Billy can't be religious, but holy shit he can't stop injecting references into basically every other song he does. He really could sign to a Christian label if he wanted to, now. Never heard Freak USA, but I'm sure it's no Geek USA which is perhaps one of the greatest things ever done in a studio with guitars and drums (not an exaggeration).

D'Arcy arrested again -_-

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/smashing-pumpkins-bassist-darcy-wretzky-98141

The original member of the alt-rock group, who owns horses, was arrested Tuesday on an outstanding warrant related to charges of "animals running at large."

Former Smashing Pumpkins member D'arcy Wretzky is behind bars this week.
our editor recommends
Smashing Pumpkins replace drummer
Hollywood Docket: Smashing Pumpkins Crushed by Label's Deals with Amazon, Pepsi

The original bassist for the band is currently in Michigan's Berrien County Jail for the most unlikely of reasons: her horses ran wild through the small town she now lives in, causing her neighbors to call the cops back in 2009.

The actual charge, as first reported by TMZ this morning and confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter Thursday was related to "animals running at large." Had the bassist simply shown up to court or paid fines stemming from the ticket(s), a warrant would not have been issued for her arrest.

However, the musician who left the Pumpkins years ago missed four consecutive court dates and fines related to the incident, per TMZ, forcing a warrant to be issued for her arrest. Animal Control officials in Berrien County confirmed four counts on Thursday to the Reporter.

Earlier this week, the 42-year-old was taken into custody because of the 2009 incident and subsequent unpaid fines. According to a representative at the Berrien County Sheriff's Department Thursday afternoon, Wretzky was arrested at around 11 a.m. Tuesday morning.

It's not known how police caught up with the former member of the Grammy-winning act, who was in the Smashing Pumpkins from 1988 to 1999, but she's due to be released from a Michigan jail Monday, Feb. 14 pending the result of her forthcoming court date.

Earlier this week, a Berrien County district judge sentenced Wretzky to six days in jail, where the singer currently resides.

Wretzky is not the first alt-rock purveyor to spend time behind bars for charges related to animals in recent memory. In 2009, Missing Persons singer Dale Bozzio turned herself in to New Hampshire police over charges relating to cats that died in a home she owned while the singer was on tour.

at least it wasn't for drugs!

Diablos

Lard said:
I saw them on the Siamese Dream tour, just as Today was breaking as a hit single. :D

So awesome.
So jealous.

FMT: lulz. Darcy is a mess. Q101 I think got in touch with her for the first time in years, and she was just... wow. Total crackpot. Something tells me she's still on drugs, or the years of abusing them have really left a mark. Either way, I suppose letting her animals loose is better than possession of drugs.

Diablos said:
So jealous.

FMT: lulz. Darcy is a mess. Q101 I think got in touch with her for the first time in years, and she was just... wow. Total crackpot.

yeah i heard the interview. at first it was kind of funny and then i just felt really bad for her. the years of drug use or whatever really caught up with her because she's fucking out there.

looks like james is the only sane one after billy and jimmy went all nuts with their religion or shamans or whatever the fuck is controlling them

Top Bottom