• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

ethic said:
I've never heard this song before and it's absolute beautiful.
It's just an instrumental, but wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpiLIIDpXqY&feature=related

i think it was on the vinyl of MCIS. but you are right it is a great song! i have often wondered if billy and the gang debated on making this song or MCIS the opening song on the album. can't go wrong with either!

i keep meaning to transcribe MCIS to electic guitar to see how it sounds but i'm too lazy. in my mind it would sound awesome all electric!

Anyone have MP3/ vids from the final Metro show in 2000 or previous final shows (It may have been Paris that I'm thinking of ???)? A guy used to have all the videos up on Youtube but he got banned for some reason, I did have the MP3s on my old computer but then lost them.

Diablos

Vox-Pop said:
What's the most shoegaze sounding SP song?
There really isn't one particular song. A great deal of songs from the Gish/Siamese era were influenced by My Bloody Valentine, but not in such a way that it sounds like rip-off.

porcelina from that united center show was freaking awesome. very strange to hear the light hearted banter between billy and james knowing now that billy truly hated him

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Diablos said:
There really isn't one particular song. Anything from the Gish/Siamese era was influenced by My Bloody Valentine, but not in such a way that it sounds like rip-off.
Yeah I'm not a SP fan at all, but I love MBV. I heard Today on the radio the other day and liked it. The guitars reminded me of MBV.

Diablos said:
I don't think there are videos/mp3's of the last Metro show. There is however the United Center show, which I do have.

Any chance you could send me it or upload it somewhere for me to download please?

Oreoleo

PumpkinPie said:
Anyone have MP3/ vids from the final Metro show in 2000 or previous final shows (It may have been Paris that I'm thinking of ???)? A guy used to have all the videos up on Youtube but he got banned for some reason, I did have the MP3s on my old computer but then lost them.

Yeah there are definitely flac's/mp3s of the final Metro show floating around. I have them but never bothered to really listen to it since the quality is so poor. There was another guy (Paul Baker I believe?) who released about half of the Metro show on mp3 for free. They were of vastly better quality but for some reason he never released the second half of the show (Or, at least, it's not "publicly" available).

Edit: Here's Paul Baker's source of the Metro for download (First two sets only): http://www.archive.org/details/tsp2000-12-02.baker

Vox-Pop said:
SP very rarely went REALLY into the shoegaze side of things, but there are a few songs and demos from around SD/MCIS era that fit the bill:

Feelium
Pulseczar
Apathy's Last Kiss
Delusions of Candor
Siamese Dream

Those are all pretty obscure and really only the first 2 I would classify as "real" shoegaze. The others just kind of make good use of distortion and low-fi recordings. Billy has ALWAYS made good use of distortion, he just doesn't lean on it as heavily as MBV did (No disrespect, I'm a huge MBV fan). Actually now that I think about it there's probably way more SP material that sounds like Isn't Anything era MBV versus Loveless (Which is pretty much solely what I based this post on).

Also the song 'In My Body' on Machina 2, depsite being released in 2000 strikes a very distinct shoegaze chord with me, though to suggest it sounds anything like MBV would be laughable. I consider it one of SP's best, though I know there are plenty that would vehemently disagree with me. But that seems to be the nature of the beast with this band lately. Take from that what you will.

Orellio said:
Yeah there are definitely flac's/mp3s of the final Metro show floating around. I have them but never bothered to really listen to it since the quality is so poor. There was another guy (Paul Baker I believe?) who released about half of the Metro show on mp3 for free. They were of vastly better quality but for some reason he never released the second half of the show (Or, at least, it's not "publicly" available).

SP very rarely went REALLY into the shoegaze side of things, but there are a few songs and demos from around SD/MCIS era that fit the bill:

Feelium
Pulseczar
Apathy's Last Kiss
Delusions of Candor
Siamese Dream

Those are all pretty obscure and really only the first 2 I would classify as "real" shoegaze. The others just kind of make good use of distortion and low-fi recordings. Billy has ALWAYS made good use of distortion, he just doesn't lean on it as heavily as MBV did (No disrespect, I'm a huge MBV fan). Actually now that I think about it there's probably way more SP material that sounds like Isn't Anything era MBV versus Loveless (Which is pretty much solely what I based this post on).

Also the song 'In My Body' on Machina 2, depsite being released in 2000 strikes a very distinct shoegaze chord with me, though to suggest it sounds anything like MBV would be laughable. I consider it one of SP's best, though I know there are plenty that would vehemently disagree with me. But that seems to be the nature of the beast with this band lately. Take from that what you will.

What about Real Love? That's a bit shoegazey, isn't it?

Oreoleo

PumpkinPie said:
What about Real Love? That's a bit shoegazey, isn't it?

Definitely, I didn't even think about that one. Machina 2 in general has a great sound to it that jives really well with me in that noisy kind of way.

Orellio said:
Depending on how badly you want to hear some of these songs, if you can't find them I might be willing to upload them for you..

Hey maybe you can help me out with something. A while back I was looking for a recording of a Pumpkins show that I went to and came across this user group and software (I'm guessing FTP) that you could use to download bootlegs. Anyways, I got the show but I remember when I logged on to the user group (or whatever its called) it had a disclaimer of things that you were allowed and not allowed to do and one of them mentioned a collection of demos that were forbidden to be shared. They referred to it by name and I got the impression that it was an unreleased album that somehow got leaked. Do you or anyone have any idea what it is? I'm not looking to download it just curious as to what it is and the story behind it. I've since uninstalled and deleted the software so I would have to go looking for it again which took me forever the first time.

Oreoleo

theusedversion said:
Hey maybe you can help me out with something. A while back I was looking for a recording of a Pumpkins show that I went to and came across this user group and software (I'm guessing FTP) that you could use to download bootlegs. Anyways, I got the show but I remember when I logged on to the user group (or whatever its called) it had a disclaimer of things that you were allowed and not allowed to do and one of them mentioned a collection of demos that were forbidden to be shared. They referred to it by name and I got the impression that it was an unreleased album that somehow got leaked. Do you or anyone have any idea what it is? I'm not looking to download it just curious as to what it is and the story behind it. I've since uninstalled and deleted the software so I would have to go looking for it again which took me forever the first time.

You're definitely thinking of "The Hub" which used DC++ software to connect to.

The only things that come to mind that might be the music you are referring to are:

Mashed Potatoes (5 CD set Billy gave to friends of random live tracks/demos from late 80's early 90s timeframe. Pretty freely available now and wasn't a commercial release so should have been allowed on the Hub. Maybe it was referring to a MP3 version since the hub was lossless audio only)

2004 Billy solo concert (Wasn't allowed to be shared cause it was supposedly gonna be commercially released lol ya rite)

Zwan rough cuts/pre-masters from Mary Star of the Sea (Sourced from commercial material so not allowed)

Maybe it was the "Quiet and Other Songs" from the Library of Congress but that wasn't commercial so I don't know. I'm guessing it was Mashed Potatoes, which is freely available now.

Diablos

Moleasskiss is one of my most favorite SP songs ever.

btw, Hello Kitty Kat from Mashed Potatoes is superior. Killer solo (one of the best I've ever heard Billy play), rocks harder in general.

Diablos

FrenchMovieTheme said:
porcelina from that united center show was freaking awesome. very strange to hear the light hearted banter between billy and james knowing now that billy truly hated him
Siva and the speed metal-ish Heavy Metal Machine are really intense. I always remember those two songs from that show.

Vox-Pop said:
Yeah I'm not a SP fan at all, but I love MBV. I heard Today on the radio the other day and liked it. The guitars reminded me of MBV.
The guitars are very MBV, the songs are not. Really, the influence starts and ends with the guitar sound and how it is mixed. Billy still kinda did that in his own way, but it was no doubt inspired by MBV. Alan Moulder worked with Billy too.

Raistlin

Vox-Pop said:

Vox-Pop said:

Did you go to the Warm Intentions tour (Hope Sandoval and Colm Ó Cíosóig)?

Diablos

Macam said:
The new single, Freak, is up.

Yes, it's as bad as you think it is. "I'm so fucking bored", indeed, Billy.
Stop making music. Ever since he fired Jimmy it's like he forgot how to write a song. Hard to believe just a couple years ago he was doing stuff like Gossamer, As Rome Burns, Starz, and Superchrist.

This is really painful. It's like watching a building burning to the ground.

ethic said:
actually it's not too bad at all. I really don't like the drumming, though.
That's because Mike Bryne is an awful drummer. Just about any drummer that has at least some kind of music background, even if minimal, can outperform this kid.

Billy recently said he's listening to Ride's "Nowhere". Some hope that means he'll crank out some cool tunes again, but don't count on it.

Oh well, I'm going to keep posting what made this man/band so great, to remind us that we should all still be glad that Billy's former self provided us with years of so much quality music.

I really wish he'd call this remixed SP lineup something else. :(

billy is trying to treat the pumpkins like nine inch nails or queens of the stone age. (i.e. there is one man running the show and the other musicians can fill in)

the problem is that billy corgan is no longer anywhere NEAR the creative level of trent reznor or josh homme. i don't know what the fuck happened to billy. i don't know if its age, i dont know if something happened in his personal life, i don't know if its the religion angle, but it's just like this isn't even billy corgan. it's sounds lame and cliche but he's not the same person and hasn't been for quite some time.

now the new drummer can obviously drum. so to call him awful at drumming isn't accurate. i am awful at drumming. but diablos is right in that compared to a person you expect to see in a "world famous" big band.... wow, this has to be the bottom of the barrel.

also in regards to the new song.... wow, absolutely awful. i could envision it being used in a christian movie during a montage where a couple teenagers are running around or shopping in the mall. what happened to this motherfucker dude

NGAMER9

God, these new singles get worse and worse. :( The only one I enjoy at all is Song for A Son. I don't think Byrne is too terrible though, certainly not Jimmy Chamberlin, and not a super great drummer, but passable. It doesn't ruin the songs for me. But "Life is not a dream/When you can't wake up from the dream" is a horrendous line and these stupid lyrics and hooks are what make me hate these new songs.

Acid08

Banned
I've never really listened to the Pumpkins before. I've always been interested but never took the step. Where should I start?

hermit7

Acid08 said:
I've never really listened to the Pumpkins before. I've always been interested but never took the step. Where should I start?

Siamese Dream. Best album that they released.

After that I would try Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
A few years ago I read that the pumpkins were getting back together and releasing a new album. "Awesome", I thought. And I haven't paid an iota of attention to them since for whatever reason. Can someone give me a brief rundown of they've done since then that's worth listening to? Right now I'm listening to Astral Planes and it's depressingly bad.

NGAMER9

Definitely Siamese Dream or Gish.

demon said:
A few years ago I read that the pumpkins were getting back together and releasing a new album. "Awesome", I thought. And I haven't paid an iota of attention to them since for whatever reason. Can someone give me a brief rundown of they've done since then that's worth listening to? Right now I'm listening to Astral Planes and it's depressingly bad.
It's all pretty bad, try A Song for a Son, that's the only bareable one. And the album you're referring to, Zeitgeist, is horrid. Listen to Doomsday Clock, and if you don't like that one you probably won't like the whole album.

Diablos

demon said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9klvSGc2ik
Might as well consider it their swan song. This level of musicianship and creativity died when Billy fired Jimmy again. This time, it was for no good reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vstzigvev0
Channeling MCIS... the best SP single that can never be since Bryne couldn't possibly touch this song. Well, he can try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEbzrqoDMzQ
Even in 2007-2008, yes, Corgan was pretty brilliant. This is one of the best things he's ever done. There are three parts. Follow the links :D Yes, it's worth watching the whole thing... you'll see.

What's really depressing is that a lot of the new material was just as good if not better than some of the old. And he basically walked away from it and now cranks out a bunch of piss poor songs.

NGAMER: Zeitgeist has some strong tracks (Tarantula, Starz, United States, Bring the Light, Pomp and Circumstance).

Macam

Banned
demon said:

The only thing they've done since the reunion is their Zeitgeist album, which I actually wound up liking a whole lot. Notably, Doomsday Clock, That's the Way, United States, Tarantula, Zeitgeist (the name of the album and a bonus track), and, for me anyway, Bring the Light are among my favorites on there.

Other than that, they haven't done anything other than tear out any remaining talent and work on releasing a new album for free. There are 44 tracks to be released total, with only 5 tracks released so far (all at http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/): Song For A Son, Widow Make My Mind, A Stitch in Time, Astral Planes, and Freak -- and they all pretty much read in order of quality as well as release date. Song For A Son was substantially better when Jimmy was drumming, but you'll have to scour YouTube for that version.

And yes, start with Siamese Dream, move on to Mellon Collie, and then, depending either Gish or Adore depending if you want some more retro-tinged rock or a dramatically dialed down softer album. It's heresy in most SP circles but, personally, I always liked Adore more than Gish.

Lard

Banned
Acid08 said:

Start with Gish.

I really like MCIS, but for a newbie, Gish is a better place to start.

Diablos

Siamese Dream is so ahead of its time it scares me. No one has really ever been able to emulate the guitar tone/layering present on that record. Even prior to the iTunes remaster it's totally clean with phenomenal dynamics. It came out 17 years ago.

NGAMER9

Diablos said:
NGAMER: Zeitgeist has some strong tracks (Tarantula, Starz, United States, Bring the Light, Pomp and Circumstance).
It's alright, I hate the production on it and it just sounds a little too shallow to me, I guess. I can understand why one would like it though. Chamberlin's drumming on it is still amazing though.

zeitgeist is pretty good overall. you are right in that the production is fucking terrible. but i like doomsday clock, 7 shades, bleeding the orchid, tarantula, starz (but why does he have that fucking line "we ah staaaaahz" fucking almost ruins the song but chamberlin going crazy at the end saves it), united states, bring the light, come on lets go....

we should have all seen the end coming when chamberlin was fired :/

Macam

Banned
Glad to see Zeitgeist is getting a bit more love these days. I may never quite get the productions value argument, but I'll take whatever production flaws Zeitgeist may have had over the sort of utter crap BC is churning out now.

The last good thing the band released was the, now presciently titled, If All Goes Wrong DVD: Heavy Metal Machine v2

Diablos

wsts9g.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Oreoleo

Diablos said:
wsts9g.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I generally enjoy the Teargarden songs thus far but even I find this pretty damn funny.

NGAMER9 said:
But "Life is not a dream/When you can't wake up from the dream" is a horrendous line and these stupid lyrics and hooks are what make me hate these new songs.

Are you purposely leaving off the end of the lyric to suit your argument? The entire line is "life is not a dream when you can't wake up from the dream you wanted"

Also I can't believe there isn't anyone here recognizing how good Stitch in Time is. Best Teargarden song thus far IMO.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Diablos said:
Oh well, I'm going to keep posting what made this man/band so great, to remind us that we should all still be glad that Billy's former self provided us with years of so much quality music.

I really wish he'd call this remixed SP lineup something else. :(
Man I completely forgot about that song. I used to own that cd too. I just downloaded it again. It's almost like hearing it again for the first time it's been so long. Are there any other b-sides from that era like that aside from Drown? I'm wondering what else I might be missing.

Macam said:
And yes, start with Siamese Dream, move on to Mellon Collie, and then, depending either Gish or Adore depending if you want some more retro-tinged rock or a dramatically dialed down softer album. It's heresy in most SP circles but, personally, I always liked Adore more than Gish.
Judging by your avatar, I can't believe you left out Pisces Iscariot. It's one of my favorite Pumpkin albums. I like pre-Mellon Collie Pumpkins better though. They started their downward spiral on that cd imo. Anyway I think everyone can agree that Siamese Dream (the entire cd) needs to be in everyones collection. It's essential.

NGAMER9

Orellio said:
Are you purposely leaving off the end of the lyric to suit your argument? The entire line is "life is not a dream when you can't wake up from the dream you wanted"
No, I don't really mean depth and meaning wise (although I also find that lacking lately) but the way he sings it, just seems like it should rhyme or being something else, but it's just the same word. I dunno, it's just my personal problem, and a lot of his songs lately have had that kind of thing.

Diablos

SP is playing here in Pittsburgh this weekend. In 2007, after seeing them, I was certain I'd go back the next time they were here. Couldn't wait. Considered traveling out of state to see another show or two. Prior to 2007 (since 1996 in fact), I had wanted to see them, and basically dreamed of the day that I would, and finally did over ten years later.

So what happened? Tickets for Mr. Small's are sold out and I made no effort whatsoever to get one beforehand. I literally do not care! :lol

Seanspeed

Banned
If you're new to the Pumpkins, dont listen to these 'hardcore' Pumpkins fans in terms of where to start. Hardcore fans will always dismiss the more popular stuff because as a hardcore fan, you tend to get tired of it, but for somebody new, this 'popular stuff' is actually probably pretty good.

I'd start with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and then move onto Siamese Dream.

Fusebox

Banned
Seanspeed said:
I'd start with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and then move onto Siamese Dream.

I'd go chronological. Start with Gish, then Siamese Dream and then after that it's just a matter of following the band through their musical descent.

Seanspeed said:
If you're new to the Pumpkins, dont listen to these 'hardcore' Pumpkins fans in terms of where to start. Hardcore fans will always dismiss the more popular stuff because as a hardcore fan, you tend to get tired of it, but for somebody new, this 'popular stuff' is actually probably pretty good.

wha!?

MCIS is the best pumpkins album, followed closely by siamese dream, then adore, then machina II, then gish, then zeitgeist/machina I are tied for last. the last place albums both have instant classics (tarantula, united states, SIYL, i of the mourning), but a lot of stinkers too

Top Bottom