• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

I like Celestials

Pumpkins also announced that Anberlin and My Morning Jacket are going to be the support for the Oceania tour.....was kind of hoping it would just be the Pumpkins playing for 3 hours :p

Man, the 2012 mix of Glynis is an abortion. I'm flabbergasted. I know the production of the original is quite dated, but they should have just left well enough alone, because the strength of the track on its own merits kept it afloat. They totally butchered it though with the new mix.

I will eat some of my own words and say that I do like Oceania, but I'm still really pissed that they have such an awful drummer.

And vintage SP would have never let a track like Oceania have a fade out. Oh no no. They cut it at a completely unexpected time.

I actually quite like the new Glynis. It's lighter on bass, so my speakers don't rattle at the beginning. The end vocal stuff is fun.

The drummer in my band, who's a big fan of Jimmy, thinks the new drummer is pretty good. He's not as flashy, but calling him "awful" is patently absurd. I definitely think Oceania is the best they've done since MCIS.

I'm listening to the James Iha solo album now for the first time. I'm only 4 songs in and I'm not sure what I think. The first thing that comes to mind is "Adult Contemporary". I also hate when I can tell auto-tune is being used, even if it's subtle.

Diablos

I like Celestials

Pumpkins also announced that Anberlin and My Morning Jacket are going to be the support for the Oceania tour.....was kind of hoping it would just be the Pumpkins playing for 3 hours :p

Whoaaaa. That's one hell of an opening act (MMJ). I saw them open back in 2003, and they were so good I actually remember them more than I did the band they opened for, Foo Fighters.

Diablos

oh haha.

I actually quite like the new Glynis. It's lighter on bass, so my speakers don't rattle at the beginning. The end vocal stuff is fun.

The drummer in my band, who's a big fan of Jimmy, thinks the new drummer is pretty good. He's not as flashy, but calling him "awful" is patently absurd. I definitely think Oceania is the best they've done since MCIS.

I'm listening to the James Iha solo album now for the first time. I'm only 4 songs in and I'm not sure what I think. The first thing that comes to mind is "Adult Contemporary". I also hate when I can tell auto-tune is being used, even if it's subtle.
Ehh, have you heard the kid live though? He sounds terrible. It's not patently absurd to say that.

yeah, the James album isn't quite as good as I first claimed, but, it still has lots of strong tracks.

Judging by his performance of Mayonaise, I'd say we're much better off having his album autotuned. I think James always preferred the mellow and would be fine being a folksy/americana type if he could pull it off. I liked Let it Come Down and remember sort of enjoying my first listen of his new album, so I'm not even a Iha hater, but he's definitely limited in his ability.

There are still floor tickets for Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised if groupon or similar did the same here.....

No idea why they are playing big venues

There are still floor tickets for Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised if groupon or similar did the same here.....

No idea why they are playing big venues

Yeah, they're playing this big hockey arena/event center north of Seattle. Last time they came though, they played 2,000 person club in Seattle.

Yeah, they're playing this big hockey arena/event center north of Seattle. Last time they came though, they played 2,000 person club in Seattle.

They played Massey Hall in Toronto last time, standard old-style concert theatre

This time they are coming to the Air Canada Centre which can fit about 20,000 people and there are still floors available

I'm no expert and haven't followed much since the Adore era, but I'm not sure they've done arenas that large since the MCIS tour (short of opening for Kiss on Halloween). Baffling considering how the fanbase has diminished.

Diablos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWzHPJx5C_w

New song - Black Sunshine. Rocks pretty hard, great riff.

Fuck, I know I say it too much but Mike is awful. So so awful.

As much as I hate to see Jimmy gone, I'll admit it's not required to replace him with a clone, but can we at least get someone who can play? Matt Walker was no Chamberlin, but he knew how to play the songs in a respectable enough manor to not totally ruin the dynamic...

Billy is writing some great songs lately, hate to see it get ruined with such awful drumming. It just hurts. Ugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWzHPJx5C_w

New song - Black Sunshine. Rocks pretty hard, great riff.

Fuck, I know I say it too much but Mike is awful. So so awful.

As much as I hate to see Jimmy gone, I'll admit it's not required to replace him with a clone, but can we at least get someone who can play? Matt Walker was no Chamberlin, but he knew how to play the songs in a respectable enough manor to not totally ruin the dynamic...

Billy is writing some great songs lately, hate to see it get ruined with such awful drumming. It just hurts. Ugh.

holy smokes i like black sunshine a lot. do more stuff like this billy!

Diablos

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Dawn To Dusk (CD1)

1. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
2. Tonight, Tonight
3. Jellybelly
4. Zero
5. Here Is No Why
6. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
7. To Forgive
8. An Ode To No One
9. Love
10. Cupid De Locke
11. Galapogos
12. Muzzle
13. Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
14. Take Me Down

Twilight To Starlight (CD2)

1. Where Boys Fear To Tread
2. Bodies
3. Thirty-Three
4. In The Arms Of Sleep
5. 1979
6. Tales Of A Scorched Earth
7. Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
8. Stumbleine
9. X.Y.U.
10. We Only Come Out At Night
11. Beautiful
12. Lily (My One And Only)
13. By Starlight
14. Farewell And Goodnight

Morning Tea (CD3)

1. Tonight, Tonight (Strings Alone mix)
2. Methusela (Sadlands demo)
3. X.Y.U. (Take 11)
4. Zero (Synth mix)
5. Feelium (Sadlands demo)
6. Autumn Nocturne (Sadlands demo)
7. Beautiful (Loop version)
8. Ugly (Sadlands demo)
9. Ascending Guitars (Sadlands demo)
10. By Starlight (Flood rough)
11. Medellia Of The Gray Skies (Take 1)
12. Lover (Arrangement 1 demo)
13. Thru The Eyes Of Ruby (Take 7)
14. In The Arms Of Sleep (Early Live demo)
15. Lily (My One And Only) (Sadlands demo)
16. 1979 (Sadlands demo)
17. Glamey Glamey (Sadlands demo)
18. Meladori Magpie
19. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Home Piano version)
20. Galapagos (Instrumental/Sadlands demo)
21. To Forgive (Sadlands demo)

High Tea (CD4)

1. Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Sadlands demo)
2. Set The Ray To Jerry (Vocal Rough)
3. Thirty-Three (Sadlands demo)
4. Cupid De Locke (BT 2012 mix)
5. Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans (Live Studio rough)
6. Jellybelly (Instrumental/Pit mix 3)
7. The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)
8. Jupiter’s Lament (Barbershop version)
9. Bagpipes Drone (Sadlands demo)
10. Tonight, Tonight (Band Version Only, No Strings)
11. Knuckles (Studio outtake)
12. Pennies
13. Here Is No Why (Pumpkinland demo)
14. Blast (Fuzz version)
15. Towers Of Rabble (Live)
16. Rotten Apples
17. Fun Time (Sadlands demo)
18. Thru The Eyes Of Ruby (Acoustic version)
19. Chinoise (Sadlands demo)
20. Speed

Special Tea (CD 5)

1. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Nighttime version 1)
2. Galapagos (Sadlands demo)
3. Cherry (BT 2012 mix)
4. Love (Flood rough)
5. New Waver (Sadlands demo)
6. Fuck You (an ode to no one) (Production Master rough)
7. Isolation (BT 2012 mix)
8. Transformer (Early mix)
9. Dizzle (Sadlands demo)
10. Goodnight (Basic Vocal rough)
11. Eye (Soundworks demo)
12. Blank (Sadlands demo)
13. Beautiful (Instrumental-Middle 8)
14. My Blue Heaven (BT 2012 mix)
15. One And Two
16. Zoom (7 ips)
17. Pastichio Medley (Reversed extras)
18. Marquis In Spades (BT 2012 mix)
19. Tales Of A Scorched Earth (Guitar Overdub mix)
20. Tonite Reprise (Version 1)
21. Wishing You Were Real (Home demo)
22. Thru The Eyes Of Ruby (Pit mix 3)
23. Phang (Sadlands demo)

DVD

Live at Brixton academy, London, 5/15/96

1. Tonight, Tonight
2. 1979
3. Zero
4. Here Is No Why
5. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
6. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
7. Jellybelly
8. Silverfuck
9. Disarm
10. Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Live at Rockpalast, 4/7/96

11. Fuck You (An Ode To No One)
12. Muzzle
13. Cherub Rock
14. X.Y.U.

WOOOOOW

What's the price?!

The "tea" theme is pretty hilarious. Right on cue with his new tea shop. LOL

Diablos

$145?

WHAT

ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO BUY THIS, FMT??

I don't know if I am

Yeah, speaking of which, I'm gonna buy the digital Pisces Iscariot reissue.

Diablos

Is he going to reissue TAFH, btw?

And yeah, the price is absurd. It's kind of weird how cheap the Gish and SD reissues were compared to this. I think $60 would have been reasonable. The price keeps going up.

Can't wait to see Machina and Machina 2 Deluxe for $200 :lol

Is he going to reissue TAFH, btw?

And yeah, the price is absurd. It's kind of weird how cheap the Gish and SD reissues were compared to this. I think $60 would have been reasonable. The price keeps going up.

Can't wait to see Machina and Machina 2 Deluxe for $200 :lol

Yes there is a tafh rerelease coming with tons of extras

Diablos

Wow, I bet the TAFH reissue will be really interesting. There's probably so much stuff from MCIS era Pumpkins that we haven't heard.

Each song heard in Pastichio Medley at full length would be amazing, for starters.

distantmantra said:
If this came out back in 2000, I would've bought it without hesitation. Now, nah.
Eh, $145 is pretty costly. Hopefully the digital release will be like $50 or something. Every physical CD I buy, I just end up ripping for my own personal use anyway... and frankly it just sits around like it doesn't belong afterwards.

So goooood!!!

Crowd wasn't very alive during Oceania but people seemed to enjoy it, it works well when they play it front to back.....

The old stuff was insane, people were going as crazy as they could with the no moshing/crowd surfing rule in place

Billy made a few jokes like he saw a lot of young faces and was worried they'd not know any of the older songs, some NHL/Maple Leafs/Kings jokes.....

Billy actually looked like he was having lots of fun

Here is what I remember

Oceania
Space Oddity
XYU
Disarm
Tonight Tonight
Song for a Son
Bullet
Today
Stand Inside Your Love
Muzzle
Ava Adore
Cherub Rock
Zero

Very glad I went! :)

Macam

Banned
Here is what I remember

Oceania
Space Oddity
XYU
Disarm
Tonight Tonight
Song for a Son
Bullet
Today
Stand Inside Your Love
Muzzle
Ava Adore
Cherub Rock
Zero

Very glad I went! :)

Pretty much the same set as they played down here in San Diego, albeit I don't think we got Zero in the mix. They put on a great show, and I was pleasantly surprised to see XYU kickoff the encore set.

The opening band, Amberlin or whatever, was bloody godawful though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Packaging shots of the Vinyl and CD deluxe sets

DqDq0.jpg

The set is pricey, but after seeing that I will definitely be buying it.

Mellon Collie reissue is out. Any impressions? Especially interested in the deluxe set, though I get the feeling much of the more interesting stuff I have already through boots and such (but I'll still pick it up to have the better quality versions).

I have the vinyl set coming today from Amazon. Excited to listen to it. Nostalgia trip!

Ok Billy, now give me your the reissue of your best SP album... Adore.

Top Bottom