• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

So the dipshits at Amazon decided it was a good idea to ship out my box set without a box. Just a shipping label taped to the front of it. The box it dinged up and torn in places. Not really happy, but they're sending me a replacement that should come on Friday which should come in a box.

:/

Dead

well not really...yet
So the dipshits at Amazon decided it was a good idea to ship out my box set without a box. Just a shipping label taped to the front of it. The box it dinged up and torn in places. Not really happy, but they're sending me a replacement that should come on Friday which should come in a box.

:/
wow, what the heck?!

The extras are worth it. Jimmy's drumming is WAY more prominent on the version of Tonight, Tonight without the strings and it totally changes the song.

This remaster does an amazing job linking SD and MC. I used to love Dream so much more because the sound was so much richer and really felt like the production flattened out Mellon Collie.

NO LONGER.

One big happy family. If the Adore remasters take some of the synthy edges off of that album (doubtful I know), it could really transform how I look at the continuity of the band's music.

This remaster does an amazing job linking SD and MC. I used to love Dream so much more because the sound was so much richer and really felt like the production flattened out Mellon Collie.

NO LONGER.

One big happy family. If the Adore remasters take some of the synthy edges off of that album (doubtful I know), it could really transform how I look at the continuity of the band's music.

I heard there is some audio clicking sounds and they fucked up zero. Comments?

I heard there is some audio clicking sounds and they fucked up zero. Comments?

I remember some weird shit on one of the demos, but I don't remember anything "on record". Also, I dunno, I liked all the remasters but I haven't listened to the OG in ages. But I remember MC always sounding "flatter'n hammered shit", as Ellsworth might describe it. So I'm sure they didn't "fuck up" Zero.

How could they?

Oreoleo

ISo I'm sure they didn't "fuck up" Zero.

How could they?

They fucked up the PI release, there is digital distortion on one or two of the tracks. IE, the actual album, not one of bonus tracks. Never got mentioned or promised to be fixed. With that in mind, I would not be surprised if there were production errors on the MCIS reissue.

Dead

well not really...yet

NO LONGER.

Machina will be the real revelation since it will be remixed, remastered AND resequenced.

They fucked up the PI release, there is digital distortion on one or two of the tracks. IE, the actual album, not one of bonus tracks. Never got mentioned or promised to be fixed. With that in mind, I would not be surprised if there were production errors on the MCIS reissue.

Somehow I didn't notice that.

Machina will be the real revelation since it will be remixed, remastered AND resequenced.

I'd be happy if they went a step further and pretended that era never existed.

(I went to iTunes to listen to a few Machina songs just now as I felt guilty and was rethinking this comment and realized I somehow haven't had Machina in my library for at least 1 1/2 years and hadn't noticed)

Oreoleo

You guys should track down the Machina pre-masters if you haven't already. Makes the album actually listenable!

I'll check out the bonus tracks of all the releases of course but the Machina 2 is the only remaster I'm still interested in.

And after that the Zwan vaults will be opened (hopefully) :}

You guys should track down the Machina pre-masters if you haven't already. Makes the album actually listenable!

I'll check out the bonus tracks of all the releases of course but the Machina 2 is the only remaster I'm still interested in.

And after that the Zwan vaults will be opened (hopefully) :}

TAFH remastered!

Are there plans to release Zwan stuff? I'd love to hear any of the unreleased stuff they did as I think I prefer Zwan over all of the Pumpkins stuff post-Adore.

Dead

well not really...yet
Are there plans to release Zwan stuff? I'd love to hear any of the unreleased stuff they did as I think I prefer Zwan over all of the Pumpkins stuff post-Adore.
BC said the ZWAN rights revert to him in 2014 or something. He definitely has seemed more open about possibly releasing that stuff.

Unreleased zwan material is so fucking good.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Hell I think I prefer Zwan to most anything Pumpkins, with the possible exception of Siamese Dream.

Jimmy's drumming on Jesus I is like having your face melt, then the flesh is sent to the future where you eventually reunite with your melted face some 30 years later and are reborn a beautiful woman.

I want those Zwan extras bad.

i think i'll buy the MCIS 5 disc set from amazon digital. it's only $37 but i hope they dont give me the old non-remastered tracks from their other version of MCIS (1995) they have on their site :/

i think i'll buy the MCIS 5 disc set from amazon digital. it's only $37 but i hope they dont give me the old non-remastered tracks from their other version of MCIS (1995) they have on their site :/

I just did the same, it's downloading now. It was hard to decide between the basic album or the 5-disc version. In the end I chose the 5-disc version.

I'm a fan from way back, I used to be way into the newsgroup(!) for SP. At one point I knew every demo and outtake they recorded. Over time my interest in them certainly has faded and I've forgotten most of what I used to know. It's weird to see the titles to some of these songs, remembering how revered (and mysterious) some of this stuff used to be. I distinctly remember listening to the full version of Pastichio Medley and one snippet, "Knuckles," always stood out to me. To coincidentally have the full version of "Knuckles" here is just kind of amazing.

I'm just now getting started on the first disc as the rest of it downloads. I've got good headphones, sitting here with a really stupid grin on my face. It's like I'm 15 again.

How much is out there? Wasn't there a bundled Zwan DVD that had some of the info on Djali Zwan and maybe some performances? I should probably scour my CD pouches to find that.

Sorry, I haven't been active in the SP trading communities since before Machina, so not even sure where to find the stuff now.

Fun story: I first used my GAF username on Netphoria/Siva around the time the Mashed Potatoes boxset was a big topic. Even though this is the only place I still use it, my biggest regret was misspelling potato as a sort of meta Dan Quayle joke.

edit: Reading Wikipedia on Zwan now. Seeing this nugget seems funny given how Billy has been talking about James lately:

May 23, 2005:
When asked which of his two former bands would ever reform, he said, "Pumpkins. You'll never see Zwan. I'll never go anywhere near those people. Ever. I mean, I detest them. You can put that in capital letters. Bad people. James and D'arcy are good people. They might be misguided people, but they're good people."

And an interview from June 2012 at http://grungereport.net/?p=12430
“Uhhh… I’m OK with Jimmy. We don’t have a relationship at the moment, but I mean, I have no ill will. I want to see him do well. James Iha I think is just a piece of shit. I think he’s one of the worst human beings I’ve ever met in my life. And D’arcy, she’s sort of, in her own way, sort of an innocent.”

Dead

well not really...yet
Wouldn't be surprised if there was money/legal bullshit that came up between Iha and Corgan in between those years.

It's the only thing that would make that total change in attitude make any kind of sense.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was money/legal bullshit that came up between Iha and Corgan in between those years.

It's the only thing that would make that total change in attitude make any kind of sense.

Yeah. There's a little more context there that indicates that he was driving a lot of D'arcy's actions too. Without knowing the full story it's hard to say who's actually in the wrong. It seems like James doesn't really day much bad about Billy in public.

Interesting. After a quick search, that same site ran an article yesterday and has a translation from a French interview with James that asked about the quote above:

“Such a comment seems very bitter. I hope that Billy has advanced over the last ten years, he has a lot of talent and a lot to offer musically. For my part, I feel good in my life, I am proud to have played with the Pumpkins in the past, proud to represent A Perfect Circle or my solo projects today. I found my balance.”

Maybe James is a dick, but he at least knows how to handle himself in the media.

So how interested would you guys be in a original-Pumpkins reunion at this point? As the years pass, it's hard to imagine. Can D'arcy even play an instrument anymore?

I'm kind of in the "This modern day band is NOT the Smashing Pumpkins," but as time passes, the possibility or even thought of them reuniting seems very unlikely.

I'd pay big money to see it, though.

So how interested would you guys be in a original-Pumpkins reunion at this point? As the years pass, it's hard to imagine. Can D'arcy even play an instrument anymore?

I'm kind of in the "This modern day band is NOT the Smashing Pumpkins," but as time passes, the possibility or even thought of them reuniting seems very unlikely.

I'd pay big money to see it, though.

just like guns n roses and a lot of other bands it's just not going to happen. you can say "well there is a 1% chance", and there's always a 1% chance (hey van halen kinda sorta got back together!), but given how things are i just can't envision a scenario where it would happen. i GUESS i could see billy/james/jimmy back..... but darcy is so fucked up i just don't see her getting herself clean and back into playing shape. who knows though, crazier things have happened!

just like guns n roses and a lot of other bands it's just not going to happen. you can say "well there is a 1% chance", and there's always a 1% chance (hey van halen kinda sorta got back together!), but given how things are i just can't envision a scenario where it would happen. i GUESS i could see billy/james/jimmy back..... but darcy is so fucked up i just don't see her getting herself clean and back into playing shape. who knows though, crazier things have happened!

I imagine only one thing could make it happen and that's money. And it would have to be Billy who's hurting for it. But as time passes, the people who even remember the four of them together fade away, and the money it could bring them diminishes.

I imagine only one thing could make it happen and that's money. And it would have to be Billy who's hurting for it. But as time passes, the people who even remember the four of them together fade away, and the money it could bring them diminishes.

i'm sure billy is making bank off touring as he probably pays the other members jack shit. james has various gigs and income streams, including perfect circle and pumpkins royalties. jimmy would probably be down for it. not sure if darcy would even be in for it even if the money was right. she's not of sane mind

I kind of get the feeling that Jimmy is disinterested in the lifestyle of touring, especially when it's mostly still being fueled by the steam of the original Pumpkins lineup.

i bought the amazon mp3's and they sound really good! i'm not too sensitive on how music is recorded but i can hear the difference here. also loving the bonus tracks. holy smokes the XYU outtake is great

fucking billy keeps taking taking my money like the vampire he is

holy smokes the mellon collie nighttime version is so awesome. i remember years and years ago saying "i wish they turned the end of thru the eyes of ruby into a longer song!" and it turns out they already had.

towers of rabble is just an awesome song. i had heard it previously but never had a good recording until now. i give this set an A. lots of great material here. it would be an A+ but there is some missing stuff. i have some other stuff like Ugly (electric version). also, is it just me or do some of the pistachio medley full versions sound different than what we heard on pistachio medley?

Diablos

I heard there were issues with the vinyls but I haven't noticed any issues from the digital download. What was wrong with Pisces besides plume?
One of the songs has a short muting digital artifact, can't remember which one. EDIT: It's the end of Why Am I So Tired. I don't believe it's present in the previous version. There's also some other weird things. Never Let Me Down Again sounds as though it had a "dithering" option applied to the mix with software and it's yucky. Some other little things I'm forgetting about too.

Curufinwe

BC said the ZWAN rights revert to him in 2014 or something. He definitely has seemed more open about possibly releasing that stuff.

I hadn't heard that. There are so many Zwan songs I would love to hear proper versions of.

I got the deluxe MCIS re-release for Christmas. Now I just need to listen to all the songs on the bonus CDs.

Diablos

I have been rocking the 5CD digital release for a solid month now, and it's fucking legit. The album mix is now on par with Siamese Dream. No one should have any reason to listen to the old MCIS, throw your CD's away, lol. Not quite as good on a sheer technical level I suppose (because let's face it, SD is about as close as you can get to studio mastery with the guitar as far as I'm concerned), but it doesn't have that unnecessary muddy dullness factor that really dragged down the original mix at times. It really kicks now, and is so clean, but you can tell lots of special attention was paid to it. Also gone are weird artifacts like the digital noise embedded into the piano intro of Thru the Eyes of Ruby, some of you might know what I'm talking about.

The extra 3CD's of stuff are all really nice. I can't seem to pull myself away from this release, and it's been a long, long time since I've been able to say that about anything SP related. I of course have enjoyed the other reissues but also listened to a good amount of other music and didn't listen to them for as long.

In other news, NEVER FORGET: JIMMY CHAMBERLIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aoG0P0C3geQ
No full length version officially recorded... but something may happen in the future. Let's hope so. Geek USA as played by Jimmy is on the same level as John Bonham, I don't care what anyone says. He is a genius for coming up with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XnHczU3fC_w#t=173s

What a beast.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just did the same, it's downloading now. It was hard to decide between the basic album or the 5-disc version. In the end I chose the 5-disc version.

I'm a fan from way back, I used to be way into the newsgroup(!) for SP. At one point I knew every demo and outtake they recorded. Over time my interest in them certainly has faded and I've forgotten most of what I used to know. It's weird to see the titles to some of these songs, remembering how revered (and mysterious) some of this stuff used to be. I distinctly remember listening to the full version of Pastichio Medley and one snippet, "Knuckles," always stood out to me. To coincidentally have the full version of "Knuckles" here is just kind of amazing.

I'm just now getting started on the first disc as the rest of it downloads. I've got good headphones, sitting here with a really stupid grin on my face. It's like I'm 15 again.

Your SP history is much like my own, they used to rule my brain when I was a kid. I've only just heard about this re-issue, I can't wait to hear it! Actually might have to listen to the old version now, so I can compare and contrast.

How is the new Pumpkins stuff anyway? I usually pretend it doesn't exist.

Diablos

Your SP history is much like my own, they used to rule my brain when I was a kid. I've only just heard about this re-issue, I can't wait to hear it! Actually might have to listen to the old version now, so I can compare and contrast.

How is the new Pumpkins stuff anyway? I usually pretend it doesn't exist.
Not even saying this as a bitter old fan: When Jimmy left everything went downhill. I was extra hard on Oceania at first, Corgan still has "it" at times but everything has just been lacking since 2009 or so. Zeitgeist as an album may have failed to deliver, but the live show was totally legit, honestly held its own even up against vintage Pumpkins.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Was their 2009 stuff good? I haven't heard anything good from them since Adore and gave up eventually.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I forgot how good the Aeroplane Flies High stuff is. Best b-sides ever. Some of Billy's best stuff in here straight up. When I was at college me and my friend were obsessed by Pennies, I have no idea why.

I was extra hard on Oceania at first, Corgan still has "it" at times but everything has just been lacking since 2009 or so. Zeitgeist as an album may have failed to deliver, but the live show was totally legit, honestly held its own even up against vintage Pumpkins.

Corgan (and the band) has had "it" at times, but something has been lacking ever since the original lineup started to fall apart. Adore was great for me (right time, right place), but everything after that has seemed mostly off within the Pumpkins brand.

If I had to guess what it is that changed it's the fluffy floaty synth stuff that seems to invade every album since Machina. My guess is you could hand the mix of any of the modern Pumpkins album to any of us and we'd be able to improve it.

The studio is where Billy's songs go to die now. That hurts when you hear how much the Mellon Collie tracks improved during the recording process.

You might have been wondering what has been going on with the aeroplane flies high (tafh) reissue and the remaining reissues (Adore, Machina, etc). We now have some news we can share with you.

As I type this TAFH boxset art is being worked on! b-sides have already been selected and mixed. The Adore and Machina tapes are also being transferred, prepping them for the reissue process.

http://www.crestfallen.com/2013/03/22/smashing-pumpkins-reissue-update/

yes please!

p.s.

are b-sides of a b-sides box set considered c-sides?

Is a Machina reissue necessary? Doesn't strike me as an album that would benefit much.

Maybe replace half of the songs or record them with less synth confusion. I'd rather just skip it and release all of the Zwan stuff.

Edit: Weird to scroll up and see myself repeating the Machina synth rant. I've been listening to a lot of Pumpkins/Zwan again and it's fresh in my mind.

Top Bottom