• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Maybe replace half of the songs or record them with less synth confusion. I'd rather just skip it and release all of the Zwan stuff.

Edit: Weird to scroll up and see myself repeating the Machina synth rant. I've been listening to a lot of Pumpkins/Zwan again and it's fresh in my mind.

Maybe release Machina and Machina II as a colossal double-album as they were originally intended.

120v

Is a Machina reissue necessary? Doesn't strike me as an album that would benefit much.

it was intended as a double album but Virgin wouldn't allow that at the time. So this is an opportunity to release it as intended

plus there's always been grievences about how machina 1 was mixed. hopefully the reissue will fix that

honestly i'm more hyped about the machina reissue than anything else. it was supposed to be more epic than MCIS but there was too much shit going on within the band at the time

I also realized recently after hearing recent Billy performances that I hate the way his voice changed after coaching or maybe just as he's gotten older. Adore was nice, but I think his smoother, more sensitive sounding voice screws up a lot of songs. I'd like to hear 1996 Billy sing SIYL.

I also realized recently after hearing recent Billy performances that I hate the way his voice changed after coaching or maybe just as he's gotten older. Adore was nice, but I think his smoother, more sensitive sounding voice screws up a lot of songs. I'd like to hear 1996 Billy sing SIYL.

Yeah it's pretty bad. I'm sure it's "technically" more of a correct way to sing but it sounds much worse

Diablos

Wow so TAFH reissue is pretty legit I'd say.

The live disc in particular is really nice. So is the 35 minute Silverfuck. Oh and the acoustic Tonight, Tonight instrumental is bliss. Wow wow wow. Listening to Jimmy play on all of these live tracks really makes you realize how vital he was to their sound. Dude is fucking amazing.

My only gripe with the reissue is that they really skimped out on:

a. not having every song from Pistachio Medley on its own disc or two (I always wanted this but then again the cuts we got were still nice)
and
b. Only one extra track on the 33 single? It's a great performance of Silverfuck but it could have been a SPRC download or something. Would have rather had more stuff we still don't have from MCIS. Oh well. Billy will probably release some uber-leet boxset for $500 someday.

Macam

Banned
On a non-TAFH note, the Pumpkins have been streaming and replaying some of their recent live performances which I quite like. The latest set closes out with United States which, if you're still hung up on JC not being in the band, may disappoint, but there's still some good stuff in here, IMO:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/live/

I hate to be critical of anyone's appearance, but Billy really needs to shape up a bit if he still wants to do the rockstar persona thing on stage. I couldn't watch that video for more than 30 seconds.

edit: I also realize he could just wear clothes that fit.

Macam

Banned
I hate to be critical of anyone's appearance, but Billy really needs to shape up a bit if he still wants to do the rockstar persona thing on stage. I couldn't watch that video for more than 30 seconds.

This is Billy, the guy that for a good while was wearing black, leather dress/kilt things. At this point, I view him as only giving slightly more of a shit about his wardrobe and appearance than, say, Neil Young.

Diablos

He's 46. (wow that is crazy)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So do we know if there are any plans to reissue Zeitgeist as well? I mean with all those silly store exclusive tracks out there, plus whatever didn't make the record. And the live stuff from that era was dope.

In all honestly, considering how flimsy and half baked the Teargarden concept is I'm shocked we've made it this far into the reissue campaign. I'll shit myself if we make it all the way to Zwan.

So do we know if there are any plans to reissue Zeitgeist as well? I mean with all those silly store exclusive tracks out there, plus whatever didn't make the record. And the live stuff from that era was dope.

Still interested to hear the pumpkins version of signal to noise. Also the promised gossamer studio version :(

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Man I totally forgot about American Gothic EP, Superchrist, GLOW etc etc.

Plenty of material for a great set. Do it Billy.

So I was watching the DVD that came with the AFH box set last night, whos that drummer? What was up with Jimmy at that point?

So I was watching the DVD that came with the AFH box set last night, whos that drummer? What was up with Jimmy at that point?

Kicked out of the band for drug use after the touring keyboardist OD'd and died, replaced by Matt Walker from Filter

matt walker. jimmy got kicked out of the band after his heroin incident

p.s.

and matt walker is in the most dangerous race.... the band that covered Signal to Noise, a song which has never been heard as performed by billy!

matt walker. jimmy got kicked out of the band after his heroin incident

p.s.

and matt walker is in the most dangerous race.... the band that covered Signal to Noise, a song which has never been heard as performed by billy!

Matt still has the Billy demo of Signal to Noise lying around somewhere. He posted about on twitter a while ago.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm anxiously awaiting that official remaster of Machina II, is that still pretty far off since MCATIS only just got rereleased?

anyone know where i can find the siamese dream/MCIS/TAFH box set dvd's ripped to mp3? i tried to do it with a DVD ripping program but didn't have much luck (with the SD one anyways)

Been wanting to grab the physical versions of the sets, are the vinyl editions gone for good or will they be restocked at some point? See Aeroplane Flies High on amazon for 150 at the least, which seems a bit steep but I'm still tempted.

So looking forward to the Adore reissue, all the leaked/demo stuff from that period is great. Hope there's some Batman related stuff too.

Any news on what will be on it? I've been looking for a decent version of Lover for years. I'm not sure what the actual song name is, I have it as lover but its the one that goes "don't wanna be your lover, don't wanna be your friend, faith takes me over so let me pretend" etc. really a great song!

Any news on what will be on it? I've been looking for a decent version of Lover for years. I'm not sure what the actual song name is, I have it as lover but its the one that goes "don't wanna be your lover, don't wanna be your friend, faith takes me over so let me pretend" etc. really a great song!

I would check netphoria but I cannot stand that place haha. I have the same song as "Lover" too, I think there are two versions out there. The version I have is an acoustic "To Sheila" type track.

Hoping for songs like Soot and Stars, My Mistake, Let Me Give The World To You, Once In A While and whatever outtakes of Ava Adore they can find.

Dead

well not really...yet
I dont think there is any real info on the Adore re-release. We know more about the Machina one (new mix and master, resequence, etc)

Love the Adore era. The whole TAFH reissue seems to have gone over like a lead balloon, though. Very little buzz about it as far as I can tell.

well part of the reason is that there is a lot of stuff that was already accessible with good quality. when i envisioned TAFH new box or extended it would have been with the songs from pistachio medley in their full forms (if they exist). we got some of that but not everything that could have been.

i still really enjoyed the reissue. lots of good stuff but i suppose the b-sides of a b-side box set aren't going to set the world on fire.

i love the adore era but i'd really like to see what he does with machina/machina II. i feel there is a great album in machina but its just mixed horribly. ive also said it before but the imploding voice (previously virex) was almost completely ruined when you compare the live performance pre-album vs. what we got on the album.

Diablos

Still interested to hear the pumpkins version of signal to noise. Also the promised gossamer studio version :(
Gossamer without Jimmy? No way. It's impossible. He was like half the song. Ditto for As Rome Burns (man, that song rocked).

I'm anxiously awaiting that official remaster of Machina II, is that still pretty far off since MCATIS only just got rereleased?
Adore, then Machina. I would hope they'd combine Machina and Machina 2, but we'll see. Billy might try to make a cash grab. lol
Also the warm fuzzy tone provided by vinyl and the songs not being overproduced is part of what makes Machina 2 > Machina. I can only hope they don't ruin the final mixes (as M2's mix was never really finalized).

Love the Adore era. The whole TAFH reissue seems to have gone over like a lead balloon, though. Very little buzz about it as far as I can tell.
Well the price alone was too high. And yeah, quite frankly the reissue left much to be desired. Complete Pistachio Medley songs would be nice. We don't need Silverfuck right at the end of the 33 EP, totally ruins it... it's like they weren't even thinking about song placement. A lot more could have gone on that disc. And it is just sloppy. Songs that belong on Tonight EP (i.e. the beautiful acoustic version of Tonight, Tonight, one of the reissue's highlights imo) are on the 1979 single instead which makes no sense. That kind of thing.

well part of the reason is that there is a lot of stuff that was already accessible with good quality. when i envisioned TAFH new box or extended it would have been with the songs from pistachio medley in their full forms (if they exist). we got some of that but not everything that could have been.

i still really enjoyed the reissue. lots of good stuff but i suppose the b-sides of a b-side box set aren't going to set the world on fire.
Nope, but let's face it SP is old news, especially vintage SP. I am sure a lot of people are surprised they are still a band... if you want to even call it that now. As I said TAFH reissue left much to be desired. NOT worth the price. Tons of extra songs could have been on there.

Yeah the TAFH reissue is disappointing to me..kinda the same with MCIS. I guess because there's already so much leaked stuff already out there regarding those albums.
Hey, I thought the MCIS reissue was totally legit. My only gripe is that it had some songs on there that didn't belong, like alternate mixes of TAFH tracks. Should've put that on the TAFH reissue. That said, it's really an awesome reissue, I'd give it an 8.5/10 overall.

But yeah, my favorite new track (to the world, at least) is the acoustic Tonight, Tonight track. It's just perfect.
All of the loud songs on the live disc kick your ass, too.

Diablos

Adore reissue news, part of the tracklisting I assume:

9y64sAH.jpg

I can't read most of what Billy is writing.

looks good so far! i hope Lover (or whatever it's actually called.... because there is another song called Lover on the MCIS set) makes its way onto the disc(s)! the version i have is so damn bassy and just doesn't sound good but the song is awesome

Dead

well not really...yet
I still need to get around to buying the MCIS re-issue. Price made me wait...

Im way more hyped for the Adore and Machina re-issues tho. Hopefully they won't be as crazy priced, considering the albums aren't exactly on the level of MCIS and SD as far as recognition goes.

Diablos

I still need to get around to buying the MCIS re-issue. Price made me wait...

Im way more hyped for the Adore and Machina re-issues tho. Hopefully they won't be as crazy priced, considering the albums aren't exactly on the level of MCIS and SD as far as recognition goes.
TAFH was way overpriced. Especially because, in my view, it really fell short... I was expecting a lot more on there.

Oreoleo

I tried Google but couldn't find anything, any news on the Machina reissue? My favorite Pumpkins album.
Still gotta get that Adore reissue first which I believe is still without a release timetable, but I assume will be out just in time for Christmas. Wouldn't expect Machina until spring at the earliest. More likely summer if Billy redoes the track list to include Machina 2 songs as he's mentioned, which might require some extensive remixing since the two albums have really different sound profiles.

Alright, so it's time for Christmas shopping and I'm planning on getting the remastered editions released so far. It's been several years since it started at this point though so which albums received new vinyl editions? The amazon listings for some of the releases are very vague as to whether they're the new versions or just the original vinyl releases. Or I suppose more specifically which of the albums released got deluxe vinyl editions with the linear notes and such?

Diablos

Alright, so it's time for Christmas shopping and I'm planning on getting the remastered editions released so far. It's been several years since it started at this point though so which albums received new vinyl editions? The amazon listings for some of the releases are very vague as to whether they're the new versions or just the original vinyl releases. Or I suppose more specifically which of the albums released got deluxe vinyl editions with the linear notes and such?
I'm sure you figured this out by now, but their store is offline so I have no idea.

Anyway, Corgan just recently confirmed that the Adore reissue will be 5 discs (4 CD's, 1 DVD).

I am glad these reissues keep coming. I was just listening to their "Oceania: Live in NYC" DVD audio and I can't get into most of it. I will say some of the newer tracks sound good, as the current lineup basically owns them. But the classics are horrible for the most part. Some notable improvements in rare cases (i.e. Disarm sounds really impressive sans shitty drumming), but overall, it's just a major downgrade.

Jimmy Chamberlin is touring with Frank Catalano. Never heard of the guy and I haven't listened to any of his stuff yet save this clip and one other song. I wish Billy would get rid of Byrne already and get Jimmy back in the band. Byrne is such a boring robotic drummer. Might as well get a drum machine. That likely won't happen; I think it would be a good idea to end the band in the next couple years. For good.

I'm sure you figured this out by now, but their store is offline so I have no idea.

Anyway, Corgan just recently confirmed that the Adore reissue will be 5 discs (4 CD's, 1 DVD).

I am glad these reissues keep coming. I was just listening to their "Oceania: Live in NYC" DVD audio and I can't get into most of it. I will say some of the newer tracks sound good, as the current lineup basically owns them. But the classics are horrible for the most part. Some notable improvements in rare cases (i.e. Disarm sounds really impressive sans shitty drumming), but overall, it's just a major downgrade.

Jimmy Chamberlin is touring with Frank Catalano. Never heard of the guy and I haven't listened to any of his stuff yet save this clip and one other song. I wish Billy would get rid of Byrne already and get Jimmy back in the band. Byrne is such a boring robotic drummer. Might as well get a drum machine. That likely won't happen; I think it would be a good idea to end the band in the next couple years. For good.

i started out liking Oceania but time has not been kind. very hard to listen to now. it's like there are bits and pieces of a great song within every song but then corgan just fucks up any momentum the song starts with or by the time it gains momentum the song is already ruined. also some of the worst lyrics of his career "i'm gonna love you one hundred one percent" makes my skin crawl

Diablos

i started out liking Oceania but time has not been kind. very hard to listen to now. it's like there are bits and pieces of a great song within every song but then corgan just fucks up any momentum the song starts with or by the time it gains momentum the song is already ruined. also some of the worst lyrics of his career "i'm gonna love you one hundred one percent" makes my skin crawl
Haha yeah. Quasar, One Diamond One Heart, Oceania, Inkless and especially Glissandra (I love how the guitar sounds) are all awesome songs really. They could use a better drummer though -- I can't shake this chief complaint, sorry, I know I say it a lot. I can't wrap my head around why you'd want to go on without Chamberlin, even with creative/personality differences or what have you. But if it has to be, at least get a somewhat talented drummer, at the very least, to take his place.

Mike Byrne is so shitty. When you listen to him play live, for example, once he gets to a certain tempo he hits a wall. He can't play any faster and keep time. So he blankets it with this highly controlled robotic drum sweep of sorts and it just sounds TERRIBLE, it kills the dynamic of the entire song whereas Jimmy Chamberlin would handle it with minimal effort and sound amazing.

At this point though, the band really could just end.

Haha yeah. Quasar, One Diamond One Heart, Oceania, Inkless and especially Glissandra (I love how the guitar sounds) are all awesome songs really. They could use a better drummer though -- I can't shake this chief complaint, sorry, I know I say it a lot. I can't wrap my head around why you'd want to go on without Chamberlin, even with creative/personality differences or what have you. But if it has to be, at least get a somewhat talented drummer, at the very least, to take his place.

Mike Byrne is so shitty. When you listen to him play live, for example, once he gets to a certain tempo he hits a wall. He can't play any faster and keep time. So he blankets it with this highly controlled robotic drum sweep of sorts and it just sounds TERRIBLE, it kills the dynamic of the entire song whereas Jimmy Chamberlin would handle it with minimal effort and sound amazing.

At this point though, the band really could just end.

I don't want it to end before we get all the remasters/bside sets!

But yes as a live and new music band I would not care. Billy is batting about .100 since after zeitgeist

Diablos

I don't want it to end before we get all the remasters/bside sets!

But yes as a live and new music band I would not care. Billy is batting about .100 since after zeitgeist
lol. Zeitgeist tour was actually pretty amazing until Jimmy left. And... yeah .100 haha.

He could still release the reissues without actively having to be in any band.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I started listening to Mellon Collie again, and I wish they did a video for Cupid de Locke way back. I never thought a whole lot for that song before but it really strikes me now.

Diablos

I started listening to Mellon Collie again, and I wish they did a video for Cupid de Locke way back. I never thought a whole lot for that song before but it really strikes me now.
The 2012 mix of Cupid is pretty damn cool.

Also the live version of it they did on I believe Triple J in the 90's right before the album came out.

Top Bottom