• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

BELIEVE

I love Jimmy, but I find it highly unlikely. Things have been real quiet around Pumkinland so who knows.
Meh, either do another album with Jimmy or call it quits. That's how I feel about the 'band' at this point.
Have you listened to their Live in NYC album yet? Byrne ruins so many songs.

BELIEVE

Meh, either do another album with Jimmy or call it quits. That's how I feel about the 'band' at this point.
Have you listened to their Live in NYC album yet? Byrne ruins so many songs.

He is quite a mess at times. I enjoy the overall package of that release. Looks great on Blu-Ray. I don't want them to call it quits if he hangs around, though. I enjoyed Oceania and still listen to it here and there. Dream Machine on the NYC release is pretty great and I'd like to hear where they go next.

Diablos

It has been a while since I've seriously revisited SP's discog.

I'm listening to The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete from Adore. I actually forgot about this song. This has got to be one of the most underrated Smashing Pumpkins songs of all time. Simply incredible songwriting, not to mention perhaps Billy's best vocal performance (definitely one of the best at the very least). Songs like this are what made SP so much different than any other band out of the 90's, and for the better. What a perfect song.

Take a hint from your own past, Billy: Just because you kick out the drummer doesn't automatically mean most of the music has to suffer.

Even taking into account the crap we're faced with from the 'band' these days, when you take a step back and look at the body of work this band represents throughout the various eras, it is truly mindblowing how prolific it all is, even all these years later when I'm not just blindly jumping on some kind of SP bandwagon. The Smashing Pumpkins discography, overall, is unique and will never be duplicated; anyone who would dare try is without a doubt going to fail miserably. It is this glorious multifaceted body of work that will stand the test of time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess Adore was so good amidst the adversity the band had because Billy was still in deep in his prolific writing period. It's hard to reclaim that since most artists peak in their 20s, you either move into something else gracefully or you repeat yourself endlessly.

Diablos

I guess Adore was so good amidst the adversity the band had because Billy was still in deep in his prolific writing period. It's hard to reclaim that since most artists peak in their 20s, you either move into something else gracefully or you repeat yourself endlessly.
Billy's songwriting really didn't start to seriously fizzle out until 2005ish. TheFutureEmbrace was kinda meh. He can still write amazing things, but he's not as prolific as he used to be, not nearly. Zwan as a band was an embarrassment, and their album had just atrocious production, but there were so many good songs in that short span of time that Corgan wrote as heard on various bootlegs.

Frankly it was amazing he was able to keep the creativity flowing freely for as long as he did; every songwriter burns out at some point, from Bob Dylan to a total nobody, and I'd argue he greatly exceeded the average and then some. Simply put, no one can fuck with what he did.

DiscoJon

Banned
1958495_658913180840428_178503374_n.jpg

Rumor is Mike Byrne is out of the band...

tumblr_lzviyzB5Kq1rph9r4o1_r1_500.gif

Was LMGTWTY previously confirmed for the Adore reissue? That finally being released is kind of a big deal.

And Mike Byrnes being out of the band would be a delight.

Tangentially, this is an awesome performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Ppm2CXTsI but the audio is poop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hLhN61EHXw that has way better sound I ghetto synced them up and it was awesome.

i think i have that bootleg (is it Exit Mellon Collie?) and the where boys fear to tread performance is so good.... i actually prefer it to the album version not only in sound quality but also performance

Oreoleo

i think i have that bootleg (is it Exit Mellon Collie?) and the where boys fear to tread performance is so good.... i actually prefer it to the album version not only in sound quality but also performance

I had to double check on SPFC but yeah it is. Their performances from Roskilde and Glastonbury that year were amazing, even without Jimmy the band just sounded really tight together. Fantastic set lists too. Aeroplane, Ruby, and Porcelina all on the same night, oh man oh man.

Here's a download of the bootleg for anyone interested It's a mix of two different sources to get the whole show.
https://archive.org/details/tsp1997-06-27.FM.flac16 That's part of the show from the day before. I prefer the Ruby from here if for no other reason than the quality is better (Transformer Zero and TEITBITE too but that's more to personal preference). You can mix and match from both shows to get the whole setlist basically.

Archive.org is a great resource \o/ I remember a decade ago having to get on DC++ and wait for available 'slots' from users to be able to download stuff like this. One.song.at.a.time.

DiscoJon

Banned
Fucking adore reissue should've been out a year ago. Machine might not make til 2015 lol fuck.

We've been getting one or two reissues a year. Gish and Siamese Dream in '11, P.I. and Mellon Collie in '12, and Aeroplane last year. So the full remastered re-sequenced Machina/Machina II set should be sometime next year.

The Adore re-issue is going to 5-6 cds and a DVD. So it should be pretty hefty as far as content goes.

Here's some of the supposed extra tracks:
ADORE_NOTES-256x300.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, I know, its just that they were originally planned for 2013.

Feels like Billy has done fuck all this year whatsoever

edit: Byrne out of the band would be lol-worthy. I wonder what that scene must have been like if true...Seems like a lot of people are thinking that Jimmy is back in...I guess there have been developments and rumours lately that I havent been aware of. We'll see I guess.

DiscoJon

Banned
Yeah, I know, its just that they were originally planned for 2013.

Feels like Billy has done fuck all this year whatsoever

edit: Byrne out of the band would be lol-worthy. I wonder what that scene must have been like if true...

I actually have an old friend that lives near Portland that taught Byrne when he was in High School. I guess he didn't make the cut when he tried out on Bass Drum at the local Drum and Bugle Corps as a teenager. Byrne is now "teaching private lessons" between Portland and Seattle, which is kinda funny since he's only 24 and has (I assume) just a High School diploma under his belt.

Byrne was always garbage. Hopefully jimmy is back.... not only because of his talents but he and darcy are the only 2 people who can criticize billy and he will listen

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried looking up what Let Me Bring The World To You had to do with Adore, and all these Alex Jones interviews popped up, lol. Billy doesn't mind people thinking he's crazy, does he?

Diablos

1958495_658913180840428_178503374_n.jpg

Rumor is Mike Byrne is out of the band...

tumblr_lzviyzB5Kq1rph9r4o1_r1_500.gif
PLEASE BE TRUE PLEASE BE TRUE PLEASE BE TRUE PLEASE BE TRUE

Byrne was always garbage. Hopefully jimmy is back.... not only because of his talents but he and darcy are the only 2 people who can criticize billy and he will listen
Yeah but I feel bad for James. There is a video of him where he wins an iPad. He acts like he won the lottery... I got the impression that he was not doing too well financially, which is a shame considering he is a founding member of a highly successful band.
And for the 1000th time Bearcubbin' Bryne was a HORRIBLE CHOICE. Yeah we all know you can't replace Jimmy but he could have at least been succeeded by someone who can hold their own.

btw Chamberlin is the CEO of LiveOne. Never knew that until now.

I tried looking up what Let Me Bring The World To You had to do with Adore, and all these Alex Jones interviews popped up, lol. Billy doesn't mind people thinking he's crazy, does he?
I respect Billy as a musician, he is a once in a lifetime kind of front man and songwriter... when it comes to other things I often pretend that I never read/heard them. ;-)

edit: Unless the writer got confused or something, looks like he confirmed something he wasn't supposed to:
In fact, some bands—much to their surprise—walked away from the show with broad smiles on their faces. Bearcubbin’s Mike Byrne said he knew of SXSW’s soured reputation, and was bracing for tough times. (And this is coming from a guy who used to drum for the Smashing Pumpkins.) Luckily, Bearcubbin’ caught the attention of the Austin events website, Do512.com, which gave the band four extra sets amongst their official shows.
www.wweek.com/portland/blog-31401-going_back_to_austin_nah_i_dont_think_so_(but_maybe).html

At the very least I'm thinking Bryne being out is a safe bet, whether or not that implies Chamberlin comes back I have no idea.

the thing is byrne didn't have to match or be jimmy chamberlin. there have been multiple drummers in the pumpkins besides jimmy (on tour) and while they weren't jimmy, they kind of brought their own style and were not a detriment to the music. matt walker was actually pretty stellar (even when compared to jimmy) during the last of the MCIS tour. kenny arnoff was also incredible in my opinion on the adore tour.

something about byrne just didn't sit right from the start for me. i start to think maybe i was just never going to like him no matter but then i listen to some of his stuff and it's just not the same no matter how you cut it.

i hope jimmy is back. if he comes back i would instantly be interested in seeing SP live again. as it is right now i have no desire to see them live. part of it is that i don't think the latest album stands the test of time (can't really listen to most of it anymore) but a bigger part is jimmy is missing!

Diablos

I knew Billy would do this. He always does this.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND. He should join Square-Enix.

interested in seeing SP live again. as it is right now i have no desire to see them live. part of it is that i don't think the latest album stands the test of time (can't really listen to most of it anymore) but a bigger part is jimmy is missing!
Quasar would have been 100x better with Jimmy drumming. Instead we have muted ham fisted drumming that sounds like it came from a swimming pool.

Diablos

AMC is doing a Billy Corgan reality show? WHY

Billy Corgan is a busy dude these days. Like, really busy. He recently performed an eight-hour synth-jam and just announced that he's working on not one, but two Smashing Pumpkins records for next year. And there's also his wrestling league, Resistance Pro. Variety reports that AMC, home to such classic programming as Mad Men and Breaking Bad, is developing an unscripted reality show about Corgan's league.

At the risk of stating the very obvious: this will be awesome (and much better than developing a show about his tea shop). Details are scarce, but the Variety article describes the unscripted "Untitled Billy Corgan Wrestling Project" series as "pulling back the curtains on the pro-wrestling world as he takes over creative direction for the independent wrestling company Resistance Pro."

In related Pumpkins/TV news, former guitarist James Iha penned the score to a new sci-fi series on Hulu called Deadbeat, which premieres on April 9.
www.spin.com/articles/billy-corgan-wrestling-show-amc-reality/

lol...

There's not a facepalm image good enough for this.

mattiewheels

Um.

I just wish he'd stop making music at this point pretty much.

But instead we're getting two more albums. He's tainting the legacy. :(
That's what we have this thread for, we can slowly watch the legacy die in real time.

I just don't get that April Fools joke, why would someone even put effort into that? Usually you don't make these things out of something plausible. What comic genius that one was.

Dead

well not really...yet
After that fake adore picture, we finally have a real update:

News out of the SP camp is that tracklisting for the upcoming ‘ADORE’ box set is now complete. The 6-disc set will feature the original album in stereo (as remastered by Bob Ludwig), the album as it was released in mono (here for the first time on CD), plus an additional 3 discs of unreleased material and a live DVD, taken from the band’s charity tour of 1998.

A summer release is expected.

From Billy:

“One thing that might excite fans of the album is that we were able to go back and locate elements from the original sessions that were stored digitally, but never used; such as some of the brilliant work done by Bon Harris. In that fresh mixes have been commissioned, shedding new light on not only the songs hidden foundations, but their futuristic nature as well. “

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.co...ATE/c7ba/4A2EE96D-1AC0-446E-8C92-D31FD627C6F5

Best news is confirmation that Bob Ludwig remastered the album, for a minute it seems Howie Weinberg was the one who did it...which woulda sucked,

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just listened to his most recent interview.

Billy has a new plan guys, a new approach! He's unlocked the secrets of the music industry. In order to navigate this maze and reach artistic and commercial success you must:

A) Dress up as a kite and post the pictures on your website

yIKyiz8.jpg

B) Give constant updates on your album progress in the form of incomprehensible gibberish.

C) In addition to promoting wrestling and a tea house, be sure to write a full length novel about your spirituality.

As for the music itself he said the plan is to make shorter albums (10 tracks give or take) and to release them every nine months or so. Basically the Zeppelin/Stones/Beatles approach.

I don't remember where I read it but it sounds like he's abandoned the Teargarden concept, which somewhere along the way became a "cycle" about Chicago.

Top Bottom