• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Agreed. Billy behind the boards has generally been a complete mess. He needs to stay more hands off and just worry about songwriting. Leave the production to a professional.

his voice sounds like garbage now. i'm sure a professional would say that he is technically more in tune and hitting the right notes or whatever but just fucking listen to it and you can hear which sounds better.

the music itself isn't quite as bad but it still just sounds like most of the overproduced junk out there. in a perfect world, billy would've been what josh homme is now. but instead billy is billy and the corpse of a once great band lives on

I'm not that familiar with Josh Homme outside of being 'that guy in QOTSA.' Could you elaborate on what you mean?

what i mean is this. josh homme started queens and has really been the only constant from the beginning. band members have come and gone (and come back again! and gone again...) but the quality of the music has always been there. there is a certain queens style that has never left and that is because of josh.

i look at queens in the mid-90's and i look at queens today and the music is still fantastic. josh really stayed true to what he is, never made a big spectacle when band members left (or had to be booted for repeated domestic violence), never let it drag him down. queens has changed but really within the realm of the band.

now you look at the pumpkins. band members leave, billy "breaks up" the band, gets them back together, takes singing lessons, finds jesus, whores out his music to the world series and wrestling commercials and hyundai commercials all the while not producing the same quality that we were used to. why? because billy is a "music genius" and always needs to be pushing the envelope forward. he thinks he knows best and i suppose if what the pumpkins are today is what he wants them to be then who am i or anyone else to criticize. but as a lifelong fan of both the pumpkins and queens, one has kept up with the times and provided great music and the other has not.

billy should have been the guy still writing great music and staying true to what the pumpkins always were. he is too talented to have let the pumpkins become what they are now. just bums me out

his voice sounds like garbage now. i'm sure a professional would say that he is technically more in tune and hitting the right notes or whatever but just fucking listen to it and you can hear which sounds better.

the music itself isn't quite as bad but it still just sounds like most of the overproduced junk out there. in a perfect world, billy would've been what josh homme is now. but instead billy is billy and the corpse of a once great band lives on

Spot on. It hurts to hear how tight the band sounded again. I've wondered if I had grown past the Pumpkins, but it's clear the band and Billy are just a different beast now.

Diablos

Agreed. Billy behind the boards has generally been a complete mess. He needs to stay more hands off and just worry about songwriting. Leave the production to a professional.
No way! Gish, Siamese, and Mellon Collie sound incredible. The first two in particular continue to get praise from studio production geeks and everyday musicians alike. Adore wasn't too bad either, but I think he had Brad Wood do most of the production there. Machina is sloppy, Machina 2 isn't... Billy really didn't lose his touch on production values until 2003 when the Zwan album came out. The problem is I think Billy became OCD about making his albums sound perfect and overproduced them. I also think he is now partially deaf in one ear which can interfere making sure everything sounds okay.

Basically, pre-2000 Billy was absolutely brilliant in how he crafted his songs in the studio, post-2000 Billy leaves much to be desired although he can still come up with some vintage Billy sonic goodness, just not as often.

i like in the arms of sheep. fuck you billy
Yeah there are so many examples with the reissues of songs that just DID NOT need to be there, like they were totally redundant or made no sense... too tired to think of them all, but every time I listen to the reissues a particular song will play, and it just makes me wonder why it wasn't filled with a rare track that hasn't been heard/heard as often instead. I.e. there are two versions of Plume on the reissues. One being on the Gish second disc, the other of course on Pisces Iscariot. Totally stupid that they would put another mix of that song on the Gish reissue, but leave out a song that fans had been wanting for YEARS, Pale Scales (which has yet to be heard except for the short audio loop from their now ancient greatest hits DVD). The song is more Gish-y than Plume, anyway and far more deserving of being included on a reissue, since it's from that era of the band and has yet to be released. DERP. I swear Billy just does it to be a dick/troll his fans. Another example: a modern mix of Transformer that sounds pretty much the same and is not needed. I could go on. I don't know how many opportunities Billy thinks he's going to have to keep selling his material but now would be the time to get it out there... both he and the core of his fanbase aren't getting any younger.

Oreoleo

No way! Gish, Siamese, and Mellon Collie sound incredible.

Uh yeah, that's because Butch Vig and Flood were the primary producers on those albums. It wasn't until Adore that Billy stepped up on production because he felt the producers weren't achieving the sound he was looking for. Thanks for proving my point, I guess.

i like in the arms of sheep. fuck you billy

You can hear that he pulled part of it and used it on The Last Song. Any idea who the leaker was? The video reminds me a whole heck of a lot of the videos he's been posting to go along with the album updates. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the leaker or involved somehow.

You can hear that he pulled part of it and used it on The Last Song. Any idea who the leaker was? The video reminds me a whole heck of a lot of the videos he's been posting to go along with the album updates. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the leaker or involved somehow.

Typed out basically that last night but never posted it. It certainly inspired it, but this could have simply morphed into The Last Song.

what i mean is this. josh homme started queens and has really been the only constant from the beginning. band members have come and gone (and come back again! and gone again...) but the quality of the music has always been there. there is a certain queens style that has never left and that is because of josh.

i look at queens in the mid-90's and i look at queens today and the music is still fantastic. josh really stayed true to what he is, never made a big spectacle when band members left (or had to be booted for repeated domestic violence), never let it drag him down. queens has changed but really within the realm of the band.

now you look at the pumpkins. band members leave, billy "breaks up" the band, gets them back together, takes singing lessons, finds jesus, whores out his music to the world series and wrestling commercials and hyundai commercials all the while not producing the same quality that we were used to. why? because billy is a "music genius" and always needs to be pushing the envelope forward. he thinks he knows best and i suppose if what the pumpkins are today is what he wants them to be then who am i or anyone else to criticize. but as a lifelong fan of both the pumpkins and queens, one has kept up with the times and provided great music and the other has not.

billy should have been the guy still writing great music and staying true to what the pumpkins always were. he is too talented to have let the pumpkins become what they are now. just bums me out

yeaaahhhhh but I'll take the six-seven years of genius billy work over josh homme's entire body of it. Alas!

¡HarlequinPanic!;118980938 said:
yeaaahhhhh but I'll take the six-seven years of genius billy work over josh homme's entire body of it. Alas!

but you shouldn't have to settle for 7 years of greatness and then almost complete garbage

My theory: James & Jimmy are the two of the original lineup who haven't gone nuts from celebrity and ego. James is doing his thing and generally seems happy, Jimmy is off driving cars and being alive.

Billy & D'arcy both morphed into their own caricatures.

To compound any Smashing Pumpkins related depression, here are recent photos from D'arcy:

hG2U+

My theory: James & Jimmy are the two of the original lineup who haven't gone nuts from celebrity and ego. James is doing his thing and generally seems happy, Jimmy is off driving cars and being alive.

Billy & D'arcy both morphed into their own caricatures.

To compound any Smashing Pumpkins related depression, here are recent photos from D'arcy:

hG2U+

jesus wtf.... she ranged from cute to hot in the pumpkins and this is just sad.

as for james.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbnZyJLIkEw. this cover of mayo isn't as bad as the other live version i heard but he's just not equipped to sing this song proper. still, he seems happy enough! although he needs to put some meat on dem bones! his ass can't fill out those jeans!

¡HarlequinPanic!;119000501 said:
D'Arcy's definitely a bit sick in the head if that radio call from a few years back is any indication. A shame.

She seemed more manic, but her general awkwardness & cadence hasn't changed all that much when you consider this was 15 years prior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qIhtKkrnuM

She's definitely got some issues, but my hope is that she's off of anything hard and enjoying a dream life as those Pumpkins checks continue to roll in. Still just sucks that she didn't see the beauty the rest of us did and felt she needed to go all-in on plastic surgery.

She seemed more manic, but her general awkwardness & cadence hasn't changed all that much when you consider this was 15 years prior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qIhtKkrnuM

She's definitely got some issues, but my hope is that she's off of anything hard and enjoying a dream life as those Pumpkins checks continue to roll in. Still just sucks that she didn't see the beauty the rest of us did and felt she needed to go all-in on plastic surgery.

20 years ago.....wow

she looks so good there!

This too.....man, I remember being so upset that it rained in Toronto and most of the I and I had to be done indoors........and that I didn't win tickets to it....was so close

http://youtu.be/QIRG-MsiDbQ?t=23m14s

Rofl....

Also listen around the 25 minute mark........

Why are d'Arcy and James still in the band and talk about Corgan producing his first album

Diablos

Uh yeah, that's because Butch Vig and Flood were the primary producers on those albums. It wasn't until Adore that Billy stepped up on production because he felt the producers weren't achieving the sound he was looking for. Thanks for proving my point, I guess.
Billy was doing most of the work regardless... just because Vig and Flood were producing doesn't mean they made it sound the way they did. Otherwise they would have a lot of other albums with that kind of quality and they do not, period.

kmag

Billy was doing most of the work regardless... just because Vig and Flood were producing doesn't mean they made it sound the way they did. Otherwise they would have a lot of other albums with that kind of quality and they do not, period.

Have you looked at Flood's production credits? He's produced, engineered or co-produced some absolutely fantastic albums. I'd certainly put it up against Corgan's who's studio output has been dire for over a decade.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
##From Her to Eternity (1983-1984)
##The Firstborn Is Dead (1984)
##Kicking Against the Pricks (1985-1986)
##Your Funeral... My Trial (1986)
##Tender Prey (1987-1988)
##The Good Son (1989)
##The Boatman's Call (1997)

Erasure
## Wonderland (1986)
##The Circus (1987)
##Loveboat (2000)

U2
##The Joshua Tree (1987)
##Achtung Baby (1991)
##Zooropa (1993)
##Pop (1997)
##How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004)

The Silencers
##A Blues for Buddha

Nine Inch Nails
##Pretty Hate Machine (1989)
##Broken (1992)
##The Downward Spiral (1994)

Depeche Mode
##Violator (1990)
##Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993)

Pop Will Eat Itself
##This is the Day, This is the Hour, This is This (1988)
##Cure For Sanity (1991)

The Charlatans
##Between 10th And 11th (1992)

The Smashing Pumpkins
##Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)
##Adore (1998)
##Machina/The Machines of God (2000)

PJ Harvey
##To Bring You My Love (1995)
##Is This Desire? (1998)
##White Chalk (2007)
##Let England Shake (2011)

Nitzer Ebb
##Belief (1989)
##Showtime (1990)
##Ebbhead (1991)
##Big Hit (1995)
##Industrial Complex (2010)

JJ72
##I To Sky (2002)

The Duke Spirit
##"Cuts Across The Land" (2004, released 2005)

A-Ha
##Analogue (2005)

Soulwax
##Any Minute Now (2005)

Placebo
##Meds (2006)

The Killers
##Sam's Town (2006)

Sigur Rós
##Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2008)

30 Seconds To Mars
##This Is War (2009)

Editors
##In This Light And On This Evening (2009)

The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
##Belong (2011)

Diablos

Yes I'm well aware of who they have worked with (they are two of the biggest producers alive). I'm just saying the way those albums sound are nothing like the others, at all, namely because Billy was calling most of the shots in how he wanted the album to sound. He worked very closely with Vig and Flood. They learned a lot from each other. It's just that Billy forgot a lot of what he accomplished in being able to produce post-2000.

Oreoleo

I disagree. And you can literally take what you just said, flip the names and it still makes sense.

Butch Vig and Flood were doing most of the work regardless... just because Billy was co-producing doesn't mean he made it sound the way they did. Otherwise the rest of the Pumpkins catalog would have a lot of other albums with that kind of quality and they do not, period.

He worked very closely with Vig and Flood. They learned a lot from each other.

I agree with this. And it was that experience that allowed him to man up on Adore and say "Well I guess I gotta produce this shit myself." What made Gish/SD/MCIS work is that Billy wasn't at that "I know best and what I say goes" level of egomaniacal indulgence at the beginning of the Pumpkins career and was willing to take the backseat and trust Vig and Flood to do their job.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's funny to see pics of the band like this, where they were just being normal and smiling. After Mellon Collie every band photo either had to be some serious pose or some art shot with them wearing black garbage bags and eyeliner. I'm not complaining, I particularly love the Adore era band photos...it's just a funny change they went through.

It's funny to see pics of the band like this, where they were just being normal and smiling. After Mellon Collie every band photo either had to be some serious pose or some art shot with them wearing black garbage bags and eyeliner. I'm not complaining, I particularly love the Adore era band photos...it's just a funny change they went through.

well they were just some young kids playing rock and roll music having fun. then the serious business of rock and roll music took hold

120v

I'd love for Billy to work with Flood again. though Billy's pretty much at the point where he doesn't need a proper producer anymore.

120v

as a fan i think he "needs" a producer... the last album with any "vision" IMO was TFE. I think being in his own bubble made his music suffer (and RTB seemed kind of sidelined on Zeitgeist)

but on a technical level he's pretty much got everything down working with just a few engineers

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just read his most recent update...maybe its just the nature of getting daily progress reports but I'm not getting the sensation that he's really excited about the album.

....and I'll take that as a good sign. Every time, and I mean every fucking time an artist says they've made their best album yet or that is stacks up against their classics its absolute shit.

These people are too close to what they're creating to have any idea on what it is they've made.

So I hope he hates it and that we're granted an absolute corker.

Adore track listing and press release is up on the main site.

Disc 1 – Adore: Stereo Remastered
01. To Sheila
02. Ava Adore
03. Perfect
04. Daphne Descends
05. Once Upon a Time
06. Tear
07. Crestfallen
08. Appels + Oranjes
09. Pug
10. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
11. Annie-Dog
12. Shame
13. Behold! the Night Mare
14. For Martha
15. Blank Page
16. 17

Disc 2 – Adore: Mono Remastered
01. To Sheila
02. Ava Adore
03. Perfect
04. Daphne Descends
05. Once Upon a Time
06. Tear
07. Crestfallen
08. Appels + Oranjes
09. Pug
10. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
11. Annie-Dog
12. Shame
13. Behold! the Night Mare
14. For Martha
15. Blank Page

Disc 3: In a State of Passage
01. Blissed and Gone (Sadlands Demo)
02. Christmastime (Sadlands Demo)
03. My Mistake (Sadlands Demo)
04. Sparrow (Sadlands Demo)
05. Valentine (Sadlands Demo)
06. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Sadlands Demo)
07. What If? (Streeterville Demo)
08. Chewing Gum (CRC Demo)
09. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (CRC Demo)
10. The Ethers Tragic (Instrumental/ 2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
11. The Guns of Love Disastrous (Instrumental/ 2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
12. Annie-Dog (Take 10/ CRC Demo)
13. Once in a While (2014 Mix/ CRC Demo)
14. Do You Close Your Eyes When You Kiss Me? (CRC Demo)
15. For Martha (Take 1/ CRC Demo)
16. My Mistake (Take 1/ CRC Demo)
17. Blissed and Gone (CRC Demo)
18. For Martha (Take 2/ Instrumental/ CRC Demo)

Disc 4: Chalices, Palaces and Deep Pools
01. For Martha (Symphonic Snippet/ Instrumental)
02. Crestfallen (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
03. To Sheila (Early Banjo Version)
04. Ava Adore (Puffy Combs Remix 1998)
05. O Rio (Instrumental/ Sadlands Demo)
06. Waiting (Adore Outtake)
07. Once Upon a Time (Sadlands Demo)
08. Eye (2014 Mix/ From the ‘Lost Highway’ Soundtrack)
09. Saturnine (For Piano and Voice)
10. Cash Car Star (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
11. Pug (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
12. Perfect (No Strings Version)
13. It’s Alright (Instrumental/ Adore Outtake)
14. Czarina (Take 1/ Adore Outtake)
15. Indecision (Sadlands Demo)
16. Blank Page (Early Version)

Disc 5: Malice, Callous and Fools
01. Let Me Give the World to You (Adore Outtake)
02. Tear (From Digital Transfer)
03. Cross (Adore Outtake)
04. Because You Are (Adore B-Side)
05. Jersey Shore (Sadlands Demo)
06. Shame (Take 1)
07. Summer (Instrumental/ Adore Outtake)
08. Blissed and Gone (Drone Version)
09. Heaven (Instrumental/ Sadlands Demo)
10. Daphne Descends (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
11. Saturnine (Matt Walker Reimagined/ 2014)
12. Behold! the Night Mare (Alternate Vocal)
13. Perfect (Acoustic Demo/ Adore Outtake)
14. Do You Close Your Eyes? (Adore Outtake)
15. The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning

Disc 6: Kissed Alive Too
01. Ava Adore (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
02. Daphne Descends (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
03. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
04. Tear (Live/ Sao Paulo Session)
05. Shame (Live With Mancow/ Chicago)
06. Blank Page (Live With Mancow/ Chicago)
07. To Sheila (Live/ Nashville/ Ryman Auditorium)
08. Money (That’s What I Want) (Live/ Los Angeles/ Dodger Stadium)
09. X.Y.U. Medley (Live/ Los Angeles/ Dodger Stadium)
10. Transmission (Live/ Chicago/ Rehearsal)

Disc 7 – DVD: Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA – August 4, 1998
01. To Sheila
02. Behold! the Night Mare
03. Pug
04. Crestfallen
05. Ava Adore
06. Tear
07. Annie-Dog
08. Perfect
09. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
10. Tonight, Tonight
11. Once Upon a Time
12. The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
13. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
14. Shame
15. For Martha
16. Blank Page
17. Transmission

I don't know what I expected, but that seems underwhelming.

Just realized I recorded that Atlanta show live from a web audio stream. It's sitting on a disc somewhere.

Diablos

Not bad, honestly. It isn't like Adore has a treasure trove of content like Gish thru MCIS.
It also has LMGTWTY which everyone has been wanting for years.

Dead

well not really...yet
I never expected Adore to have 7 discs. Lord. Looks awesome.

Any guesses as to how many discs in Machina?

Discs 1 and 2: Remastered, remixed and re-sequenced
Discs 3 and 4: Machina 1 and 2 original albums remastered
Discs 5, 6, 7: Machina EPs Remastered, Outtakes, B-Sides, etc
Disc 8: Live DVD?

Diablos

I disagree. And you can literally take what you just said, flip the names and it still makes sense.

Butch Vig and Flood were doing most of the work regardless... just because Billy was co-producing doesn't mean he made it sound the way they did. Otherwise the rest of the Pumpkins catalog would have a lot of other albums with that kind of quality and they do not, period.
Gish, probably. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, no. Billy had a vision for what he wanted and while the producers helped a lot, it was Billy who did most of the work. Have you read the various interviews and message board posts with Vig over the years? Billy and Vig would just sit in the studio for hours on end, day after day, obsessing over every single thing. Once Billy learned the ropes for the first album in how then-modern production worked, he and Vig kind of kept each other in check.

I'm not saying he did NOTHING -- certainly he made an impact on how Siamese Dream turned out.

I agree with this. And it was that experience that allowed him to man up on Adore and say "Well I guess I gotta produce this shit myself." What made Gish/SD/MCIS work is that Billy wasn't at that "I know best and what I say goes" level of egomaniacal indulgence at the beginning of the Pumpkins career and was willing to take the backseat and trust Vig and Flood to do their job.
Well sure. I think his ego in and of itself was the catalyst for that shit. It just kept getting bigger and bigger post-MCIS.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Mono remaster? Wasn't it a stereo album originally?

I never expected Adore to have 7 discs. Lord. Looks awesome.

Any guesses as to how many discs in Machina?

Discs 1 and 2: Remastered, remixed and re-sequenced
Discs 3 and 4: Machina 1 and 2 original albums remastered
Discs 5, 6, 7: Machina EPs Remastered, Outtakes, B-Sides, etc
Disc 8: Live DVD?

He's said before that we would likely see the "final" Metro show with Machina. Who knows if he will stick to that. It's from that era so it should be with that release.

DiscoJon

Banned
Found this on another forum: Identify (Billy Corgan vocals)
Now, if you avoid Netphoria or don't have the proper defenses on your computer PM me and I'll send you the direct link to the song. I'd post it on here but I don't know if it's bannable or not (It's a zippyshare.com link).

Enjoy!

Diablos

He's said before that we would likely see the "final" Metro show with Machina. Who knows if he will stick to that. It's from that era so it should be with that release.
If Billy doesn't release it with the Machina reissue he's being incredibly foolish. He can't expect to keep putting off key releases thinking it'll generate more hype/money. Those days are gone.

The BC demo of Identify isn't a new leak, but I can't say I've heard it in a very long time. I remember seeing Stigmata in the theater just because Billy did the soundtrack—those were weird times.

DiscoJon

Banned
The BC demo of Identify isn't a new leak, but I can't say I've heard it in a very long time. I remember seeing Stigmata in the theater just because Billy did the soundtrack—those were weird times.
Are you sure? Everyone on Netphoria is pretty excited by it. I've been waiting a long time for it to leak and have never heard any rumors about it floating around.

Top Bottom